Home
Feature Article
NBA 2k8 Growing Pains Indicate Evolution

As a 76ers fan, I remember the last time I purchased a basketball game as a time when Jim O’ Brien coached Philadelphia's bumbling squad.  It presented an experience where, on the default difficulty setting, I had Samuel Dalembert very easily averaging 5 blocks per game while the recently departed Allen Iverson averaged a double-double in points and steals.  The last time I purchased a basketball game, Ben Wallace graced the cover of the Playstation 2 iteration which debuted before Sega Sports became 2K Sports.  Talk about a blast from the past.  That game was NBA 2K5 and, having purchased NBA 2K8 upon its release for the Playstation 3, my growing pains surrounding the game indicate definitive evolution in the acclaimed sports title.

I have been purchasing certain sports games such as Madden on a yearly basis since 2001, but basketball games are of a different breed.  For one reason or another, I can find enjoyment in playing the same basketball game for years on end.  As a matter of fact, I would be lying if I denied the fact that Slam ‘n Jam ’96 featuring Magic and Kareem for the Sega Saturn is my favorite basketball game of all-time, even without the NBA license.

Yet that game had an incredibly fast-paced arcade feel to it and, after a while, could grow old.  The time of the simulation basketball title grew closer, however, and for me reached its peak with NBA 2K5. 

After playing that game on and off for a handful of years, the time to purchase a new title had arrived.  I must admit that despite the lengthy layoff between games, the evolution of the 2K franchise caught me off guard.  For the first time since my father destroyed me with regularity in Double Dribble for the original Nintendo Entertainment System, I am struggling not only to win, but to compete in a basketball video game.

It is important to note that I am playing on All Star; a setting which has provided the most realistic challenge for me thus far as it doesn’t allow me to blowout opponents as the pro setting would, nor is the game unbeatable as it is for me one level up on superstar.  Additionally, to get more realistic statistical results, I upped the quarter length from five minutes to ten.

That said, why can I not seem to put a complete game together in NBA 2K8?  After playing games in franchise mode where my record is a less than admirable 1-4, as well as games against friends where my record is slightly more respectable at 3-8, it is my hope that at least part of my shortcomings can be attributed to the Philadelphia 76ers impotency on both offense and defense.

But really, where are my blocks?  Where are my steals?  I could manage big numbers on 2K5, but I have got nothing on 2K8.  It became apparent early on that the reason (aside from the 76ers woefully talent-deprived roster) may simply be due to the evolution of a game franchise that has made tremendous strides over a brief three year period toward achieving an even more realistic basketball simulation experience.

Sure, the game is aesthetically more appealing than its current generation counterpart and predecessors but truth be told; the visuals are among the least impressive of the improvements.  From my perspective, the detail in next generation NBA 2K8 is lacking and, while the flow of the jerseys is eye-catching, the most noticeable difference is that the colors are no longer grainy and washed out.  That is not exactly something to write home about.

From a gameplay standpoint there are some notable new features.  The first that I came upon took advantage of the rarely used sixaxis capability of the Playstation 3 controller but unfortunately, it seems to me, the implementation is awkward at best.  To shoot a foul shot in NBA 2K8 for the Playstation 3, one must tilt the controller back and then forward to release the ball.  This is a great concept in theory because if you release the ball on a straight path at the zenith of the shot, it should be hitting the bottom of the net. 

But that’s not how it works.  Instead, the sixaxis must be tilted forward shortly before the peak of the shot so instead of accurately simulating an actual foul shot, gamers are having their coordination tested by timing a physical act that conflicts with the timing they see on their televisions.  Not every feature is this clunky, however.

Isomotion has become a much more fluid system, especially on the defensive side of the ball.  Players actually move the way that they do in real life so, needless to say, gone are my days of the Dalembert crossover.  Andre Iguodala, meanwhile, has managed to break some ankles while taking the ball to the hoop through using this system but the impact is even more prevalent when utilizing it on defense. 

While using zone defense has proven to be most effective for me in my bouts against living opponents, matching up against a more tactical computer-driven foe requires an effective mix of man and zone defenses.  It is in man to man coverage, however, that “The New AI” has most effectively shown his defensive prowess using 2K Sports Isomotion controls.

Running straight man to man defense proves most successful when you control the player on the ball.  This stands in direct contradiction of my defensive tactic of years’ past—control the point guard, get to the ball handler, and go for the steal regardless of who has the ball.  Effective?  Perhaps.  Strategic?  Not so much.  NBA 2K8, it seems, will accept nothing outside of the strategic element.  Such antics will lead to the draining of three ball, after three ball, after three ball, after three ball, after three ball…you get the idea.

If used effectively, the Isomotion control can prevent the player from driving to the hoop and scoring an easy basket, in effect making the point guard work the ball around in hopes of finding a clean shot.  In other words, it makes the opposition earn their points and, on defense, that is the most you can ask.  Hello, basketball for dummies

What about offense?  How is it possible to score points in this game?  I am certainly not the number one resource for fielding such a question.  The closest I’ve come to an offensive explosion is hearing about other people recreating Kobe’s insane 81 point game, yet somehow I like it that way. 

I like playing the game with a structured offense. I like utilizing a point guard who takes his time moving the ball down the court and calling plays when appropriate.  I like feeding the ball to Iggy and using the refined Isomotion to forge a path to the rim before making a highlight reel dunk.  I like passing the ball inside to Dalembert when he’s posting up on a defender.  I like taking advantage of fast break points when they’re reasonably attainable.  It is fair to say, it seems, that I like the game of basketball.  NBA 2K8 does a fantastic job allowing gamers to replicate what they see on TV, whether that’s the occasional one-man show or an efficient, team oriented attack.

Yet if my understanding of the game is as relatively enlightened as it seems to be, why can’t I win games?  Why do I always seem to let the games slip away late in the fourth quarter?  Perhaps my understanding of the game isn’t as fine-tuned as I suspect or maybe it’s the growing pains of playing an evolving game after a three year layoff.  Or maybe, just maybe I need to trade the soft Kyle Korver for someone who will be there fighting come crunch time…

NBA 2K8 Videos