Home
Feature Article
WWE 2K17 Reviewer Impressions

While you can expect a full review early next week, here are my initial thoughts after a day with WWE 2K17:

• The graphics, especially wrestler models, look great. Hair is still a problem for animators, but skin tone, sweat, and veins all make the characters look more human.
  • The crowd is improved from last year, both in terms of graphics and emotion. Still, you occasionally get the "two guys sitting next to each other doing the same thing" hiccup.
  • My first match showcased a lot of what makes 2K17 one of the better playing pro wrestling games in recent memory. The limited reversal system helps eliminate spamming R2 all match, and adds a layer of strategy when defending. The improved major reversals make come-backs possible. And, when I won, I was surprised by another rival who entered the ring; nice touch.
  • I've only dabbled a bit in Career and My Universe. I like that the promo system highlights the entertainment part of WWE; building a persona is almost as important as building skills. It's nice to finally have that in a game, but I'm not sure how fun it will be long-term. It's not gimmicky, but it's hardly organic.
  • Broadcast elements still do a pretty good job of mirroring tv, especially the various camera angles and crowd shots. Occasionally, I get a bad angle that hides my wrestler behind an obstacle or the audience.
  • 2K claims to be moving away from the arcade-feel of the past; which is ok--as long as the publish another WWE All-Stars! This simulation feel can occasionally slow to a crawl though. During a career match, there were moments when all I could do is try (unsuccessfully) to reverse; this lead to about 5 minutes of what felt like watching the game play itself. I hope my skill and improved character minimized these moments in the future.
  • The creation suit is still deep but clunky. The interface just feels dated.

Everything else to this point looks promising with WWE 2K17. I'm excited to dig in deeper over the weekend. Look for my review of WWE 2K17 next week!

Member Comments
# 1 scottyp180 @ 10/14/16 12:36 PM
"This simulation feel can occasionally slow to a crawl though. During a career match, there were moments when all I could do is try (unsuccessfully) to reverse; this lead to about 5 minutes of what felt like watching the game play itself"

This has been one of my main complaints about the game for a few years. Between situations like this and having to watch slow or long move animations there are times where there is a lack of control and you spend more time watching rather than playing.

# 2 mikemulloy @ 10/14/16 07:57 PM
honestly, the game is so much more fun if you just make rules with yourself about what you can do when. I usually always try to keep one reversal in my back pocket in case my opponent gets a signature or finisher. if you just play it realistically and try to put on the best match while also coming out on top, you'll have a fun game for yourself.

# 3 UMhester04 @ 10/15/16 12:42 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikemulloy
honestly, the game is so much more fun if you just make rules with yourself about what you can do when. I usually always try to keep one reversal in my back pocket in case my opponent gets a signature or finisher. if you just play it realistically and try to put on the best match while also coming out on top, you'll have a fun game for yourself.

I feel you and used to play like this, but I'm at the point where I just want the game to be challenging again. Halfway through the match I always ask myself why I'm even playing a game where I have to handcuff myself just to have a good match and end up turning it off.

On the flip side, I played HCTP the other day and got my *** whipped. That game has fun, fast, challenging gameplay. Even down to the finishers which have that epic freeze frame for a few seconds before the impact.

I understand why 2K went towards simulation, but it just isn't fun for me the way it is right now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

# 4 scottyp180 @ 10/15/16 12:25 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by UMhester04
I feel you and used to play like this, but I'm at the point where I just want the game to be challenging again. Halfway through the match I always ask myself why I'm even playing a game where I have to handcuff myself just to have a good match and end up turning it off.

On the flip side, I played HCTP the other day and got my *** whipped. That game has fun, fast, challenging gameplay. Even down to the finishers which have that epic freeze frame for a few seconds before the impact.

I understand why 2K went towards simulation, but it just isn't fun for me the way it is right now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
HCTP has been my measuring stick for awhile. I don't think there has been a wreslting game I've enjoyed as much since that game released. We can debate which games are more difficult but I think from a gameplay stand point HCTP had a winning formula. Like you said it was fun, fast paced, and relatively challenging.

# 5 scottyp180 @ 10/15/16 12:27 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Razeart2422
UMhester04
What difficulty do you play on?
I play on legend and find it too easy even after adjusting all of the A.I's reversal sliders to Max and putting my reversal sliders to zero.

I think the main problem is the fact that even though you Max out the computer's Finisher reversal slider, they dont reverse finishers enough. And also the pin meter is too easy on legend and the computer attempts too many charged finishers.

When playing against The Rock, he does the spinebuster and pins after. He goes for the peoples elbow a little more this year than in 2k16. But the spinebuster and peoples elbow should just be one move sequence. The spinebuster should just go straight into the peoples elbow.

Triple H also pins right after his Spinebuster. Bret Hart doesnt always go for his sharpshooter.

All in all the game is more difficult this year than Wwe 2k16. But it should still be more difficult. There is no reason why a User should be able to defeat John Cena who is rated 93 with a Superstar who has a 76 overall. I saw DenkOps the Youtuber go in a Rivalry with his CAW and he won all 3 singles matches and his wrestler is rated 76.

I have also beat Samoa Joe 3 times in a row on Legend difficulty with my 76 Rated Goldberg in My Career.
That's interesting because when it comes to the nba series 2k prides itself on replicating player likeness and signature styles. Do they have tendencies for superstars in wwe? Because if they don't it should certainly be added. Like you said the rock going for the people's elbow after the spine buster should be automatic, unless he doesn't have his signature/finisher.

# 6 pslieber @ 10/15/16 04:13 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikemulloy
I'm going to agree with Mike on this one.

Call me 'old' (which I am most likely in reference to most here!),' but I'm playing the game to put on highest rated match versus win/lose and/or perfect authenticity. For instance, taunts allude to finishing moves one cannot necessarily execute at that moment based on stored Finisher/Specials. Which is a limitation of a game.

I'm having a blast with the game via the 'perfect match' goal, and I find it captures the WWE live spirit quite nicely. Of course, I'm a huge Ring of Honor/Independent Wrestling fan/attendee (wrestlinginflorida.com), so my expectations of the game are different. (For example, I really like the PS3 Impact Wrestling game.) I suspect others of this leaning - versus highest level WWE loyalists - might like this game.

Still, nice review and critiques duly noted. I love reading posts here!

# 7 pslieber @ 10/15/16 10:55 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottyp180
HCTP has been my measuring stick for awhile. I don't think there has been a wreslting game I've enjoyed as much since that game released. We can debate which games are more difficult but I think from a gameplay stand point HCTP had a winning formula. Like you said it was fun, fast paced, and relatively challenging.
Thanks for the tip, fellas, HCTP. Ordered it this evening!

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.