Home
Feature Article
RBI Baseball 17: Remarkably Even Less to Offer Than Before

Baseball season is once again upon us, and as home runs, diving catches and contrived handshakes to celebrate a win begin to fill our television screens, you may be feeling the itch to play some digital hardball as well.

Xbox One owners know the situation well by now: If you want to play an MLB-licensed game with current rosters and don’t own a PlayStation 4, the only place to turn is the R.B.I Baseball franchise.

The fond memories of playing R.B.I. Baseball on NES or Genesis may resurface momentarily when playing the current iteration, but the feeling is unlikely to last. Simply put, the bar has been raised so significantly in sports video games in the 20-plus years since R.B.I Baseball’s heyday that it’s tough to recommend R.B.I Baseball 17 as a purchase to most, even considering the $20 budget price.

The game currently offers three ways to play: exhibition, season and postseason. Online play, which was part of the offering for R.B.I. Baseball 16, is not available…yet. The official website for the game promises “in the upcoming weeks we will be rolling out a new and improved Multiplayer Mode for consoles.” What improvements we will see over the previous multiplayer experience have not been revealed.

Season mode is quite simple: play the 2017 MLB schedule with your favorite team. Roster management is limited to rearranging lineups, pitching rotations, and potentially utilizing a handful of reserves. There are no trades, no free agency and no rookie classes in future years.

The gameplay on the field is standard arcade baseball, but there are frequent bugs and quirks that can make for some frustrating moments. User-controlled fielders will occasionally dive on their own, even when they have no shot at the ball. CPU baserunners will often make boneheaded decisions on the basepaths, such as trying to stretch a single into a double when down multiple runs late in the game.

Controls are extremely frustrating unless you change the control scheme to Modern (which moves throwing to the face buttons rather than a direction on the D-Pad or analog stick), and the Ball Height Indicator to Static (otherwise, line drives and fly balls are extremely challenging to gauge). The lack of a good tutorial or detailed explanation of the controls will surely be discouraging to those new to the series, or new to baseball games in general.

Once you get comfortable with the pitching controls and mechanics, the CPU AI won’t put up much of a fight on Medium difficulty -- they are constantly befuddled by changeups in the dirt. On Hard, you will need to focus on every pitch to have success. The gameplay can be fun and challenging in stretches, between the odd glitches and animations. The fast pace of play is welcome in a sport that is often knocked for being too slow.

Visually, this looks like a game from the PlayStation 1 era of consoles. The stadiums are the standout of the graphics as they are mostly represented faithfully and look quite good. Other than a few shades of skin tone, the players all look the same. In some respects, this “style” can be acceptable in an arcade baseball game, but after seeing the visuals of Super Mega Baseball, it’s a shame to play a game with such mediocre graphics on consoles that are capable of so much more.

Considering where R.B.I. Baseball 16 left off last year, the newest iteration is a shameful effort. Besides slightly changing overlays, there are no obvious improvements, and it's even a step back as online multiplayer is not currently available. Unless you are an Xbox One owner who must have an MLB game with updated rosters, it’s hard to imagine a large audience that could appreciate and enjoy this game. Save your $20 and wait a few months until Super Mega Baseball 2 arrives.

Member Comments
# 1 snc237 @ 04/04/17 12:45 PM
Because you don't have a score now I will do it for you. 2/10

# 2 murph17 @ 04/04/17 01:45 PM
Can't wait for SMB2!!

# 3 rspencer86 @ 04/04/17 01:50 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by snc237
Because you don't have a score now I will do it for you. 2/10
I think that it is the only MLB-licensed game on the XBox One is a huge disadvantage for R.B.I., because now many people compare it to The Show. It was never meant to be a direct competitor—it's fast paced, arcade baseball that happens to have real MLB players and teams.

With that said, it doesn't succeed at playing a really compelling game of arcade baseball, either. The gameplay isn't terrible... there's some fun to be had, especially if you have a friend with you on the couch to play against. But no online play and a barebones season mode, combined with basic visuals and passable gameplay—there's not a huge market for a game with these credentials.

# 4 ODogg @ 04/04/17 10:41 PM
uhhh.......nope, lol

# 5 sheredia @ 04/05/17 01:00 AM
how are they still able to release this game? it hasn't improved at all....just give the MLB license to super mega baseball 2 already.

# 6 boomhauertjs @ 04/05/17 07:33 AM
As a mobile game, it's good, especially since you don't have to deal with microtransactions. As a console game, it's really lacking.

# 7 bxphenom7 @ 04/05/17 12:58 PM
My condolences to Xbox users. You'd really think EA would make an exclusive MVP game on Xbox.

# 8 jawgee @ 04/05/17 01:12 PM
I'd rather boot up RBI Baseball on my NES than play this version.

# 9 dubcity @ 04/05/17 03:02 PM
Well, at least the grass is a deeper green than The Show. That's about the only advantage they have. RBI 16 was good for only about 2-3 weeks of entertainment for me.

# 10 jpollack34 @ 04/06/17 07:31 AM
I'm going to be frank and honest... The game is atrocious. Absolutely horrendous.

The first sign for me that gave it away was that they took it off PC Steam. I always look at that first. It tells me whether a company can take the heat. They got absolutely ripped apart on the Steam boards and couldn't take the heat. Any excuse about piracy and sales is nothing but hogwash. Taking it off Steam doesn't increase sales elsewhere. They just couldn't take the criticism as the PC crowd is the most finicky and demanding of all, as Steam gets tons of games released daily so the competition is enormous. They are a finicky bunch and very vocal.

If you can't take the heat, there is only one thing to do... Get outta the kitchen.

It's neither a fun arcade experience nor a sim experience. And no online to boot. Absolutely atrocious game.

# 11 CMH @ 04/08/17 08:41 AM
Really liked 16. Did a good job of being what it was (another fast paced, arcade game with some sim aspects), not what others thought it should be (a boring failed attempt of The Show).

But 17 looks like more of the same. The requests gamers made were never commented on or added, it appears. What good is multiple seasons if you can't age players or at least have free agency?

Really disappointing. Great effort last year. Not sure what happened this season.

# 12 Blzer @ 04/12/17 03:05 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheredia
how are they still able to release this game? it hasn't improved at all....just give the MLB license to super mega baseball 2 already.
According to Ramone Russell, it is up for grabs for anybody to use. Gotta pay some royalties to use it, but still.

# 13 strawberryshortcake @ 04/12/17 04:07 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by dubcity
Well, at least the grass is a deeper green than The Show. That's about the only advantage they have. RBI 16 was good for only about 2-3 weeks of entertainment for me.
Been playing the iOS 17' version for the past week (never tried 16'), and truthfully, quite a few of the animations (this is not the same as graphics) are better than MLB the Show. Yes, I am serious because I was actually shockingly amazed and impressed.

This is especially true when it comes to the outfielder's animations. RBI's outfielder's charging the ball, their gather steps, finding their footing when fielding the ball, their footwork when charging the ball, gathering their footsteps near the wall, gathering their footsteps tracking the ball, outfielder's throwing motion, running motion, proper small crow hops allowing the fielder to throw the ball a farther distance, taking small steps fielding front bloopers, transition animations from fielding to throwing the ball back towards the infield is incredibly beautiful. How the outfielder's upper body twist, leans, angles with respect to the lower body, and throwing motion was pretty impressive.

Another thing that was a very pleasant surprise was the way fielding errors were handled. They felt and looked much more organic than how they're handled in MLB the Show. When the fielder botches the ball, one is still quickly able to maneuver the player to field the ball without a sort of force field so to speak. It's not just about the speed at which the user is able to control the situation with the controller, but the way the "animation" plays out looks much more real. The recovery footwork, and how the body twist and moves, and how the player throws the ball is simply beautiful.

Pitching animation also has a better speed to their motions/movement. Some of the pitchers actually tuck their glove side arm toward their bodies in RBI. The speed of the arm whip works very well.

These are the top three things that stick out because I am still seeing the same legacy concern with MLB the Show in their fielder's throwing animation, pitching animation, and finding the ball when the fielder botches the ball.

# 14 omega412930 @ 04/12/17 04:07 PM
The other alternative xbox owners have is to find a cheap 360 with mlb 2k13, plug the 360 into ur xbox one via hdmi passthrough and run it on ur console that way if u wanna feel connected using ur xbox one. Then download my 2k13 2017 roster set.

Sent from my SM-N910T3 using Operation Sports mobile app

# 15 CMH @ 04/12/17 06:01 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by strawberryshortcake
Been playing the iOS 17' version for the past week (never tried 16'), and truthfully, quite a few of the animations (this is not the same as graphics) are better than MLB the Show. Yes, I am serious because I was actually shockingly amazed and impressed.

This is especially true when it comes to the outfielder's animations. RBI's outfielder's charging the ball, their gather steps, finding their footing when fielding the ball, their footwork when charging the ball, gathering their footsteps near the wall, gathering their footsteps tracking the ball, outfielder's throwing motion, running motion, proper small crow hops allowing the fielder to throw the ball a farther distance, taking small steps fielding front bloopers, transition animations from fielding to throwing the ball back towards the infield is incredibly beautiful. How the outfielder's upper body twist, leans, angles with respect to the lower body, and throwing motion was pretty impressive.

Another thing that was a very pleasant surprise was the way fielding errors were handled. They felt and looked much more organic than how they're handled in MLB the Show. When the fielder botches the ball, one is still quickly able to maneuver the player to field the ball without a sort of force field so to speak. It's not just about the speed at which the user is able to control the situation with the controller, but the way the "animation" plays out looks much more real. The recovery footwork, and how the body twist and moves, and how the player throws the ball is simply beautiful.

Pitching animation also has a better speed to their motions/movement. Some of the pitchers actually tuck their glove side arm toward their bodies in RBI. The speed of the arm whip works very well.

These are the top three things that stick out because I am still seeing the same legacy concern with MLB the Show in their fielder's throwing animation, pitching animation, and finding the ball when the fielder botches the ball.
This is true of 16. One of the reasons I liked it. Animations are well-done for a low budget effort.

And I've had long time issues with the legacy throwing animations of the Show. Animations were barely a concern of mine with RBI 16.

I would love to see more stances and signature motions. But I know that's not so simple.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Tapatalk

# 16 Tomba @ 05/08/17 02:34 PM
if this had a behind the back pitching view id be in baseball heaven

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.