Home
Feature Article
Madden NFL 18 MUT Squads Bring Back Online Team Play

Hey Madden Fans!

My name is Jake Stein, a Producer on Madden Ultimate Team, and I have the privilege of writing the first developer blog of the Madden NFL 18 season. It’s such an exciting time as both a developer and a fan of Madden. From the developer side, we can finally see the finish line as all the planning, long hours, and polish are starting to translate into a fun, cohesive game. From the fans side, it’s your time to start getting drops of information about the new game and imagine what your experience will be, come launch night.

It’s also a time where fans love to analyze any officially released information, tweets, or videos in order to predict what Madden might be teasing.

So let’s talk a little bit about what was found by a few internet sleuths – “2-6 Online Competitive Multiplayer.”

No, that wasn’t a misprint. I’m so thrilled to officially announce what many of you have already assumed was true - the return of online team play in Madden with our new feature called “MUT Squads”. MUT Squads brings what you loved about online team from the past and blends it with the team building power and limitless lineup combinations that are offered in Madden Ultimate Team.

Let’s get into some specifics. Every MUT Squads games will start 3 vs 3. You do this by clicking on the MUT Squads tile inside of Madden Ultimate Team and entering the MUT Squads lobby. Here, you can invite your friends to go into game together or by entering matchmaking on your own where we will pair you up with two other players. To be perfectly clear, no matter if it’s just you or one other friend in the MUT Squads lobby, we will find the additional players it takes to enter a MUT Squads game.

There’s also another very important decision to be made while in the MUT Squads lobby, and this is where we really start to differentiate ourselves from previous iterations of online team play, you must choose one of three roles. The three available roles are Offense Captain, Defense Captain, and Head Coach. Each role is uniquely crafted so let’s dive in a little deeper on each one of those.

Offense Captain:

• Brings in all players from Offense and Special Teams for that user’s MUT Lineup
  • Brings in the offensive playbook and calls every play on Offense
  • When on Offense, you control the QB at the start of every play
  • However they are not player-locked to the QB post-snap. If you call a run play and neither of the other two human-controlled players are on the HB, the player controlling the QB will immediately switch and become the ball carrier
  • Controls all audibles and adjustments on Offense
  • When on Defense, the user can control any of the 11 players on the field not controlled by another user
  • There is no locking into only linebackers, defensive line, or secondary

Defense Captain:

• Brings in all players from Defense for that user’s MUT Lineup
  • Brings in the defensive playbook and calls every play on Defense
  • When on Defense, the user can control any of the 11 players on the field not controlled by another user
  • Controls all audibles and adjustments on Defense
  • When on Offense, the user can control anyone besides the QB at the start of any given play

Head Coach:

• Brings in the Head Coach, Stadium, and Uniforms for that user’s MUT Lineup
  • Calls timeouts and determines the results of penalties for the Squad
  • When on Offense, the user can control  anyone besides the QB at the start of any given play

As you can tell, the Head Coach role has a little less responsibility in your MUT Squad on the field. We have found this role is perfect for your friends that may be newer to Madden Ultimate Team or aren’t ready for the challenge of calling plays, but still want to experience cooperative Madden. For your more experienced squads, you can pass around Head Coach responsibilities. While the Head Coach may not be bringing in the players, it will still be important to make sure all three players on a MUT Squad are on the same page and working together to come away with the victory.

Now that you understand the roles, you’re ready to jump into game. As I mentioned earlier, each game will start off 3 vs 3. In the event that a player must leave early before the session is completed, the game will continue on and the role of the player who left will be transferred to someone else still left in the game. For example, if your Offensive Captain leaves early, the play call and QB responsibilities will move to the Head Coach and everything else stays exactly the same and the game is still able to be played to completion.

There are quite a few new gameplay mechanics that have been designed with MUT Squads in mind but those details will have to wait for another blog. Just know that it’s never been more fun to play the skill positions like it will be in Madden NFL 18!

Like what you hear but you just can’t wait for Madden NFL 18 to drop on August 22nd? Well you’re in luck. MUT Squads will be fully playable on the floor at EA Play in Hollywood, California from June 10-12. Swing by and grab the sticks and ask one of us any questions about Madden you have. And speaking of answering questions, we’re going to do another Reddit AMA (ask me anything) at 4pm EST on June 2nd. This AMA will specifically focus on MUT Squads and will be an opportunity for us to clear up any questions that may come up after reading this blog.

Free EA Play Tickets: http://bit.ly/2rNWLyU

Thanks for reading all the way to the end but now it’s back to the grind. I have more routes to run and passes to pick off.

-Jake

Member Comments
# 81 R1zzo23 @ 06/02/17 02:00 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by XtremeDunkz
LOL of course, but none of those thing were part of community wishlists that have gone basically untouched for the past 10 years. I can still go play a deeper Franchise mode in Madden 06 on the original Xbox with team morale, chemistry, holdouts, Training camp, position battles, uniform creation, etc. So yes, for EA to talk about a "revamped" franchise mode, when all they did was streamline some menus and add quickplay, is a joke.
Madden 06 was my favorite franchise mode by far! Loved all that stuff and really wish they would bring it all back, but I think we know that's not happening any time soon. Some great memories with that game!

# 82 XtremeDunkz @ 06/02/17 02:15 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by CM Hooe
They didn't need to be community wish list items to make the mode better. Gamers often don't know what they actually want, especially sports gamers, and the overwhelmingly positive reception of last year's changes to franchise are proof positive of that. No one was asking for them, but everyone loved them.

None of that depth means anything if no one is actually playing the mode. And that doesn't even begin to address the features themselves and if they were actually any good, which I will argue they weren't, but that's a story for another time.

I also know for a fact that the Tiburon team doesn't ignore community wish lists. If we were to go back through the years we could find the items in the mode which are in the game specifically because the community asked for them, but that's not an exercise I have time to do right now. Off the top of my head, practice squads and the draft watch list got into the game specifically because we asked for those things.
"Better" is subjective to everyone individually. Sure, did those new things make the mode more enjoyable for new and casual users? Absolutely. But for the people that play madden year round, for those of us that play in 32 man online leagues, these features did nothing. That is all I am concerned with.

Practice squads were half assed and do not work correctly. Hopefully they are implemented correctly this year, but I have my doubts.

# 83 Americas Team @ 06/02/17 08:32 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by roadman
I know the score ticker was a request by the community as well.
Its sad that the community has to request something like this.

# 84 DeuceDouglas @ 06/02/17 08:48 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Americas Team
It's still tickles me that it had been on the community wishlist basically since 06 and they gave us a goals ticker before it.

# 85 roadman @ 06/02/17 09:27 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Americas Team
True, it's sad all communities have to ask for elemental things in other sports games, too.

# 86 howboutdat @ 06/03/17 12:10 PM
Quote:
They didn't need to be community wish list items to make the mode better. Gamers often don't know what they actually want, especially sports gamers, and the overwhelmingly positive reception of last year's changes to franchise are proof positive of that. No one was asking for them, but everyone loved them.
Actually, that last line there, is false. Everyone did not love them. Dont care if CFM use went up 100% ( yet i bet you it dont see any increase in funds for 18) , that does not mean "Everyone" loved it? Most those changes , were nothing more than UI changes.When you hype its gonna be most resources ever, and a focus on franchise, sorry but the people thats been playing it for years, expect to see more than the usual UI change fest.They did that to themselves by hyping it up so much to deliver so little .

Quote:

I also know for a fact that the Tiburon team doesn't ignore community wish lists. If we were to go back through the years we could find the items in the mode which are in the game specifically because the community asked for them, but that's not an exercise I have time to do right now. Off the top of my head, practice squads and the draft watch list got into the game specifically because we asked for those things.

I dont recall anyone asking for a watch list. Matter of fact , what people really asked for is a draft board but the watch list is not even close to a draft board.

# 87 CM Hooe @ 06/03/17 02:07 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by howboutdat
Actually, that last line there, is false. Everyone did not love them. Dont care if CFM use went up 100% ( yet i bet you it dont see any increase in funds for 18) , that does not mean "Everyone" loved it?
I mean, sure, I know there are people on this forum who didn't. I was generalizing given the statistics offered in response to the changes Tiburon made to the mode, forgive me.

Not going to speculate about "funding" because A - that's not how it works and B - it's impossible for us to know how Tiburon budgets its time and money anyway. It's a pointless exercise.

Quote:
Most those changes , were nothing more than UI changes.When you hype its gonna be most resources ever, and a focus on franchise, sorry but the people thats been playing it for years, expect to see more than the usual UI change fest.They did that to themselves by hyping it up so much to deliver so little .
Play The Moments was an entire new gameplay mode and Weekly Training was a brand-new feature bolted onto franchise. Neither of those two big-ticket items were "nothing more than UI changes".

The UI changes you are referring to - mostly grouped under the Big Decisions banner - streamlined the franchise front-end UX for new players so they actually had a clue how to play franchise and made it easier for veteran players to navigate through the mode faster. Those features also added in-game presentation and commentary elements. So while they were mostly UI, they weren't exclusively UI.

Thanks in part to that collection of changes the number of players in the mode doubled. There is absolutely no argument that the changes were A - not good, or B - not wildly successful.

Quote:
I dont recall anyone asking for a watch list. Matter of fact , what people really asked for is a draft board but the watch list is not even close to a draft board.
Watch list was asked for in lieu of a draft board, which you are correct is what people actually want. Watch list was the best Tiburon could do at the time within their development time budget for the game, so that's what we got. It's mildly useful and it's better than nothing, but I agree that it's not as useful as a draft board would be.

# 88 Rocky @ 06/03/17 06:55 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeuceDouglas
I was more referring to why it might not be implemented initially into regular online with default teams like its predecessor. Building it into MUT gives it the highest chance of being a successful method of playing because MUT is the most popular mode. If they had just brought back OTP in its older form it's unlikely that the outcome would be much different where less than 10% of the user base is even using it and it becomes wasted development time. At least this way it's a new and interesting way to play MUT and it also gives them a chance to draw in a new audience into the MUT realm. So it's not really all about money, but don't get me wrong it definitely doesn't hurt them one bit that the potential for new MUT users (more money) goes up with this move.

So people can be upset with its ties to MUT but there's no denying that it made the most sense for them not only from a financial standpoint but also from a practicality standpoint.
C'mon man . It's pretty much ALL of this. Again it is what it is, but they could've found a way to at least put OTP in basic online H2H.

Again, I am waiting for a game (and this includes NBA2K) to really feature co-op in a deep franchise experience. It boggles my mind that games like Halo, COD, GOW, etc. can nail this down but sports games can't. (And they can but won't because of this microtransaction nonsense).

# 89 Joshua1207 @ 06/03/17 07:54 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocky
Again, I am waiting for a game (and this includes NBA2K) to really feature co-op in a deep franchise experience. It boggles my mind that games like Halo, COD, GOW, etc. can nail this down but sports games can't. (And they can but won't because of this microtransaction nonsense).
What do you mean by this? You just want a sports title that has co-op franchise-esque mode? Games like that already exist without micro-transactions. Try playing Football Manager, Front Office Football, Out of the Park Baseball etc

# 90 binga30 @ 06/04/17 03:51 AM
Please put some servers in Australia EA. Online is unplayable here. FIFA has them so why not Madden?

# 91 Rocky @ 06/04/17 07:14 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joshua1207
What do you mean by this? You just want a sports title that has co-op franchise-esque mode? Games like that already exist without micro-transactions. Try playing Football Manager, Front Office Football, Out of the Park Baseball etc
I was referring to a AAA console game. And really it's a shame that with all the focus on online play, there is no co-op franchise or story mode. I just think alot of it is focused on H2H which translates to micro-transactions. Sure there is CFM and PNO but the big focus is on MUT and Pro Am.

# 92 roadman @ 06/04/17 10:34 PM
Quote:
I was referring to a AAA console game. And really it's a shame that with all the focus on online play, there is no co-op franchise or story mode. I just think alot of it is focused on H2H which translates to micro-transactions. Sure there is CFM and PNO but the big focus is on MUT and Pro Am.
There will be a story mode for 18, unless that isn't what you mean.

I agree with the above sentiment, but that is the way it's going across gaming land. That isn't good for the SIM gamers, but it's good for business.

Edit- Ah, ok, reading over your prior post, you are saying it's a shame OTP isn't in Story Mode.

# 93 fballturkey @ 06/05/17 12:13 AM
Quote:
There will be a story mode for 18, unless that isn't what you mean.
Didn't they say that didn't make it in?

# 94 R1zzo23 @ 06/05/17 06:45 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by fballturkey
Didn't they say that didn't make it in?

I thought he said there was some stuff that he wanted in story mode but didn't make it in. The mod is definitely in M18 though.

Sent from my iPhone using Operation Sports

# 95 Thunderhorse @ 06/05/17 08:39 AM
Quote:
I just think they need to figure out how to incorporate teammwork into their game.

I don't have time to grind on Madden. Their gameplay mechanics in comparison to 2K's basketball title just flat out suck. They are getting better but they are not worth my time nor money.

OTP was going to get me back into madden but OTP as a part of MUT is a complete non starter for me because of the grinding aspect of MUT. I actually believe it's possible Madden would give a more realistic and legitimate gameplay experience with more users on the field, but I'm not going to waste time on MUT trying to find out.

# 96 Americas Team @ 06/05/17 10:09 AM
MUT Squads should be 5 v 5. Maybe they will add more users in the future but 3 v 3 is too much cpu.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G925A using Operation Sports mobile app

# 97 Slim4824 @ 06/05/17 11:17 AM
Quote:
My buddy and I play franchise mode co-op.

Sent from my SM-N920R7 using Tapatalk

# 98 roadman @ 06/05/17 12:01 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thunderhorse
I just think they need to figure out how to incorporate teammwork into their game.

I don't have time to grind on Madden. Their gameplay mechanics in comparison to 2K's basketball title just flat out suck. They are getting better but they are not worth my time nor money.
Agree with your first line, don't agree with the start of the next paragraph and agree with the last line in the other direction for me, but this isn't the time or place to go round and round with that.

I'm hoping that OTP makes it back in besides just MUT, a mode that I don't touch, but obviously, others do and will.

# 99 Thunderhorse @ 06/05/17 09:04 PM
Quote:
Agree with your first line, don't agree with the start of the next paragraph and agree with the last line in the other direction for me, but this isn't the time or place to go round and round with that.

I'm hoping that OTP makes it back in besides just MUT, a mode that I don't touch, but obviously, others do and will.
The people have spoken anyway, Madden sells. My opinion is nothing. I want so much more from Madden that I could write an entire essay here like I've done countless times.

Madden's growth is undeniable - I just feel in relation to other sport titles team play is something that should be taken seriously and they've neglected that for their own reasons. I also think MUT is actually a pretty awesome concept - I just feel the game play hasn't grown enough to really take advantage of that concept and illustrate it in a powerful way.

IMO, trying to create a team play game type that is on par with that of other sport games through MUT is the wrong way of thinking. Making the game better, and otp as a function of that primarily, would make MUT a more rewarding experience and then warrant my time and money.

Hopefully they are trying to do both. Either way, Madden moves at a different pace and I think we've learned to make peace with that as gamers.

# 100 jsh22 @ 10/18/17 01:38 PM
I have a question, I know you can be fired as a head coach on Franchise, can you be offered another job?

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.