Home
Feature Article
Who is your Power Play Quarterback?

The NHL trade deadline has come and gone, with a few big moves that were made. You are probably adjusting those rosters, or waiting for EA to update them for you (keep waiting ha), as your favorite team prepares for the playoff push. Now is the perfect time to discuss who is quarterbacking your power play in NHL 08.

If you have played NHL much this season you have probably come to the realization that the game is a pretty good representation of real life hockey. One of the areas that are not so true to form in a few ways is the point play on the power play. So who should you have growing their playoff beard at the point when your team has the man advantage?

When it comes time for that all important man up for your team you usually want to have your 5 best players, or as close as possible, on the ice. Your 1st power play unit generally consists of the 3 best forwards and 2 best offensive defensemen controlling the blue line. However, much like the NHL there is a few things to consider when choosing a point man.

In my time with the game I have definitely come to the conclusion that having at least one speedy puck retriever is key at all times. This opens the door a bit for interpretation in the game, allowing you to even move a speedy forward back to the point on the PP. The reason this is so important is for when the other team actually manages to clear the puck you need someone with speed to retrieve it back to the attacking zone. If you play periods in length of 10 minutes or less, you’ll see that clearing the puck past center untouched, on a penalty kill, results in a speed up in the clock until the possession of the puck is regained. Those precious seconds can really add up, especially when you are trying to get a goal late with the advantage.

Another thing to generally look for in the position is a good powerful shot. However, this is an aspect that is more prevalent in the real NHL than in the game. Sure you can sometimes snipe one from the blue line, but in real life several teams set up to shoot primarily from the point. This is something much harder to do in the game unless you really have the mindset that you are going to do it come hell or high water.

Sometimes, in fact, it is just as important to get the puck near the net on a point shot as it is to get it on net. Rebounds and tips are always dangerous with a man advantage. Rebounds in the game though aren’t as easy to put home as in 3 dimensional version either. This is another reason why I would put more emphasis on a great skater and puck carrier back there, rather than a big d-man.

So who specifically are we looking at? Well, that is a tough question because every team has a different make up. The Capitals have put Ovechkin on the point at times for the 2 minutes. In the game it works for the retrieving the clears, but not so much for sniping from long distance. Plus it takes a powerful player away from down low for that one timer. Maybe with the addition of Federov you can make him the man to get the puck when the other team gains possession and dumps it out.

Defensemen like Lidstrom, Niedermayer, Gonchar, Zubov and Markov are pretty great in the game at doing the job just as in real life. These guys are great skaters, nice passers and can lug a puck like nobodies business. They can also absolutely fire a biscuit from deep downtown. The only problem, not many of these types of defensemen are out there. So look at their ratings in those key areas and try to find other players that are comparable for your power play point man.

Now on the ice players like Phaneuf, Pronger, Jovanowski and Chara can take over a game. In NHL 08, not so much, they are just too slow to go back and get a puck when time is of the essence. They are still great to have on your team for their defensive play and shots, but not the guy you want going back to their own end when it takes them an extra 5 seconds just to get the thing in the first place. Probably EA’s way of evening things out, and not making these players unstoppable, is my best guess at the reasoning here.

Some teams are lucky to not have to worry about making team’s point men come the whole way back to gather a puck on a clear. Teams with great puck moving goaltenders are a blessing to a power play. Dipietro is the "be all end all", and is pretty good on the game too at being aggressive and controlling a loose puck on the clear. You can just try for the long breakout pass to center with a goalie like him, saving plenty of time on your power play attack.

These are just a few things to keep in mind when choosing a quarterback on your teams’ power play. It is something that can save you valuable time though, so be sure to consider a speedy point player next time you are in your franchise and see how it goes.

Well, it is time to see how Marian Hossa looks in a Penguin uniform now. And while I don’t expect him to play the point tonight against the Bruins when we draw a penalty, this is something you can expect to see when you play all the bandwagon fans online. Just know that now you can have an idea of what kind of players can help you be deadly on the power play too. Start growing that playoff beard, because Cup time is coming, we’ll see you out there.

Member Comments
# 1 MMan @ 03/03/08 12:03 PM
Shanahan, no further comment needed.

# 2 catcatch22 @ 03/03/08 12:16 PM
Power Play unit One

Jagr, Shanahan, Dubinsky (turned him into a Power Forward from a grinder), Rozsival and Avery. Jagr on point quarterbacking the powerplay.

Power Play unit Two

Drury, Gomez, Dawes, Straka and Callahan. 5 forwards with Drury on point quaterbacking the powerplay.

# 3 clarkerots @ 03/03/08 12:18 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by catcatch22
Dubinsky (turned him into a Power Forward from a grinder),
Hmmm, what happens when you change the "roles" of a player? Do attributes change or just the way they play in general?

# 4 catcatch22 @ 03/03/08 12:28 PM
Just the way they play in general IMO.

# 5 Atheris @ 03/03/08 02:25 PM
Gonchar or Letang on the back and Malkin/Crosby in the front. Everything revolves around them finding people in the slot.

# 6 glcmustliveon @ 03/03/08 08:38 PM
Chris Pronger all the way, much like irl. I use the umbrella formation and work it around for one timers, he gets a TON of assists this way, not too many goals though. One other thing I love doing is just giving it to Neiedermyer (sic) in the neutral zone and let him try to get the D out of position.

I completely disagree with the author of this article, as I generate most of my offense from point shots that either go in the net, get deflected, or bounce to my forwards. I think the key to using a guy like Pronger or Phaneuf is that getting a good shot off is imperative. If you move the puck around enough big defensemen become really useful, because even if they don't shoot it directly into the net their shots often times lead to "big, Juicy, rebounds" .

# 7 Aragorn523 @ 03/03/08 09:48 PM
Brian McCabe is a monster at the point and Brent Seabrook gets the job done nicely also

# 8 Jonesey @ 03/03/08 10:42 PM
My Preds dynasty looks like this.

Radulov - Arnott - Heatley
Zidlicky - Koistinen

Erat - Jones (created 82 overall) - Dumont
Weber - Hamhuis

Also I have Jeff Carter, David Legwand, and Radek Bonk I can throw out in a pinch. I prefer the shots low from the point for a deflection or rebound. Radulov has 11 goals this season for me with 6 of them on the PP.

# 9 Flyermania @ 03/04/08 09:32 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by glcmustliveon
I completely disagree with the author of this article, as I generate most of my offense from point shots that either go in the net, get deflected, or bounce to my forwards. I think the key to using a guy like Pronger or Phaneuf is that getting a good shot off is imperative. If you move the puck around enough big defensemen become really useful, because even if they don't shoot it directly into the net their shots often times lead to "big, Juicy, rebounds" .
I run my power play as the Flyers in the same fashion...trying to generate offense from the point with players with decent shots. Unfortunately I don't have a d-man with a booming shot like Pronger, but I do get success by using Timonen and Coburn on the point.

# 10 cubs_blue213 @ 06/02/08 04:22 PM
my blackhawks power play is:

LW: Patrick kane
C: Jonathan Toews
RW: Patrick Sharp
LD:Jason Williams
RD: Brent Seabrook

i use Seabrook because if there isn't anyone open i could always bury it since he has a good slapshot

# 11 Trick_ @ 06/08/08 07:00 PM
I run the AVS (naturally being i'm from CO) and i player lock so I use Sakic and Stastny.

PP1
Forsberg,Sakic,Hejduk, Liles and Leopald

PP2
Smyth,Statsny,Wolski, Foote, Brett Clark

I use the shooting offensive strategy so i tend to get a lot of screens and rebounds playin the C position. Also i'm generally in the middle so that allows me to criss cross pass to a lot of open player. Sakic is leading in PPGs with 6 (53 games) and most have come off a wrist shot while allowing the defense to screen for me. Liles is 2nd because of slap shots near the blue line and Wolski is 3rd off of tips and rebounds

# 12 Trick_ @ 06/08/08 08:08 PM
sorry for the double post.

I forgot to mention that this is a good article. On occasion I have changed out Clark and Leopold to try and generate more offense. I would put Svatos in the back or put Svatos on the side with Forsberg in the back with his slapshot.

I guess I didn't notice but i'm willing to guess my shots on PP were higher having Forsberg or Svatos in the back vs Foote or Clark since the speed on retrieving was higher.

# 13 Perceptor @ 06/09/08 01:21 PM
My Flames PP

D1: Phaneuf
D2: Aucoin
LW: Huselius
C: Langkow
RW: Iginla

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.