Home
Feature Article
Everybody's a Critic: Major League Baseball 2k8 Edition

Today Dave Branda posted a review for MLB 2K8 (360).

But no one opinion should be taken as the end all be all, so at OS we want to be a hub for readers to get a wide range of opinions. So in addition to the info we provide via our review -- and the info the forum members bring to the table -- we also want to provide some excerpts from various MLB 2K8 reviews. That way people have not only the OS review and forums, but also some other interesting opinions from various types of outlets. An educated consumer is a happy consumer after all.

Game Informer (8.5/10): 2K has improved its technology, meaning a batter, who could only make contact on three frames last year, can now get the bat on the ball on 13 to 16 frames. This subtle tweak allows players to feel more comfortable, as they can foul off pitches and adjust their timing to hit to the opposite field. Similar polish has also been added to fielding. The player’s movements are more realistic, and the ball itself now has noticeable weight, which transitions into grounders taking erratic hops, and Texas Leaguers dropping in the shallow outfield rather than being caught. All across the diamond, this is an incredibly well-made game that is a true test of player skill.

1UP (B/A+): While the new pitching system aims for innovation that can ultimately lead to frustration, the throwing that goes on once the ball's in play is impeccable. MVP 06 NCAA Baseball uses the right analog stick for throwing around the horn, but it felt wrong. With MLB 2K8, we can't heap enough praise on the nearly flawless throwing system. It's not just a dice roll anymore since you have complete control of your throws --release too early and it's a lollipop; release it too late and you'll bounce it to the bag. And outfield accuracy is a premium (as it should be): There's nothing better than putting away a runner rounding third with your cannon-armed right fielder. An accurate throw feels fantastic; it's a real reason to celebrate.

OXM (6/10): Also in the field, baserunning controls are the best we’ve ever seen. Just press the button of the base you want your runner to go to, and he’ll automatically sprint past any in-between. Unfortunately, wild pitches are far too common — a problem compounded by the fact that CPU baserunners try to advance almost every time the ball squirts away from the catcher, whether they should or not. And why has the awesome “be the baserunner” option been removed?

GameSpy (2.5/5): 2K is supposedly working on a patch to fix the slowdown issues and the poor frame-rate, but hopefully any update released will also address the freezing problems that occur from time to time. There are instances where players stop in their tracks, unable to reach a fly ball or hit a patch of dirt that is apparently quicksand in disguise, as they stay rooted to the spot. The worst crime of all is when the game just flat-out locks up, forcing you to reboot the entire system. This isn't the old standby dirty disc error but a full-blown game lock up. It's simply inexcusable.

The technical issues carry over to online play despite its robust feature set. Hitting is made particularly difficult because due to the poor performance you have to swing at almost every pitch; if you wait to see if it's a ball or a strike, you'll have no way of catching up to the pitch.

IGN (7.4/10): At the end of the day it’s the lack of authenticity while on the field that really hurts MLB 2K8. Next-gen simulation sports games are gauged by how closely they emulate the look and feel of the real thing and while the new gameplay mechanics do lend themselves to a more true-to-life experience, the presentation and look of 2K8 in motion really hurts it overall. The features are plentiful and will keep most busy for some time, but for this year’s best and purest baseball offering you’ll have to look elsewhere.

Member Comments
# 1 gosensgo101 @ 03/10/08 09:48 PM
How can someone say that MLB 2k8 "lacks authenticity". Its the first game to ever use the analog stick to pitch, and (I believe) throw. If MLB 2k8 isn't "authentic" I'm not sure what is.

# 2 gbx34 @ 03/10/08 10:26 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by gosensgo101
How can someone say that MLB 2k8 "lacks authenticity". Its the first game to ever use the analog stick to pitch, and (I believe) throw. If MLB 2k8 isn't "authentic" I'm not sure what is.

MVP NCAA 05 uses analog to hit, throw.
MVP NCAA 06 uses analog to pitch.

# 3 Blzer @ 03/10/08 10:31 PM
I don't even think that's how one would use "authenticity" as an example. When I think of authenticity, I think of players looking and moving like themselves, stadiums being properly represented, and realistic broadcast-like presentatoin. I only think the first item on that list has been done very well, though they seemed to have toned down some faces this year.

# 4 Brophog @ 03/11/08 12:49 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by gosensgo101
Have ballplayers in the post steroid age moved to analog sticks instead of bats and gloves?

# 5 CMH @ 03/11/08 08:19 AM
Like Blzer said, authenticy includes the look and emotion on the field from the players to the fans.

Right now, the only thing MLB2k8 does right in terms of authenticity is the signature stuff - walkups, stances, pitching motions, how uniforms are worn, etc.

Their crowd and atmosphere is still not authentic to the MLB experience. And the presentation and announcing is behind that of even the Triple Play series.

I mean, MLB2k8 doesn't even have every single team uniform available in their game.

These are the little things that they need to have to give people a reason to overlook their problems.

# 6 cocobee @ 03/11/08 09:55 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by YankeePride
Like Blzer said, authenticy includes the look and emotion on the field from the players to the fans.

Right now, the only thing MLB2k8 does right in terms of authenticity is the signature stuff - walkups, stances, pitching motions, how uniforms are worn, etc.

Their crowd and atmosphere is still not authentic to the MLB experience. And the presentation and announcing is behind that of even the Triple Play series.

I mean, MLB2k8 doesn't even have every single team uniform available in their game.

These are the little things that they need to have to give people a reason to overlook their problems.
I would include the graphics are below par as far as next generation games are concerned. I actually think they took 2 steps back from last year.

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.