Home
Feature Article
NHL 08: The Icon of Sports Gaming Franchises

I admit, I may be a bit tardy with this article. Get with the times, Grandpa, right? I know. But be that as it may, I still need to get this off my chest:

NHL 08 is one of the best sports games that I have played to date. Seriously.

Despite my rabid addiction to football and football gaming, NHL 08 has been the most impressive sports game that I have played in quite some time. And by quite some time, I mean since 1993, when Tecmo Super Bowl first sauntered into my life, clubbed me over the head, and dragged me back to its cave, content to make me its love slave for the bulk of my juvenile years.

I am, in fact, rather unpunctual with this recent epiphany. The reason being, I just purchased NHL 08 a mere nine days ago. That’s weak, very weak. Believe me, I know. But have some sympathy. Once an avid NHL fan, my interest has faltered in recent years, in large part due to the strike, and the abhorrent front office of my beloved Chicago Blackhawks. I’m ashamed to say it as a sports fan, but as I look down the current list of NHL scoring leaders, I only immediately recognize three names. That is simply unacceptable.

Enter NHL 08, the messiah of my hockey (and hockey gaming) fandom. Complying with the urge made by a good friend, I used my lone remaining Best Buy holiday gift card to purchase NHL 08 last Monday. My friend told me that it was possibly one of the best sports games…EVER. I was skeptical. Three games into my inaugural Dynasty, I called to apologize for my evil, doubting ways.

Now a good 25 games into my Dynasty, I stand by my first impression, and have had some time to reflect on what makes NHL 08 so good.

In a time when much of our forum banter focuses on how disappointing new, next-gen sports games games are, the NHL series is a breath of fresh air. The kind folks at EA Sports have done a bang-up job of recognizing what made their NHL franchise so great. The overall presentation and fun factor have not changed since the series' Make-Gretzky’s-head-bleed ancestors.

(Note: If you are at work, or don’t care for four-letter words, I’d refrain from clicking on the above link)

My last NHL gaming experience was, tearfully, six years ago with the Lemieux-covered NHL 2002 for PC. Despite my hiatus, I am pleased to see that the next-gen version of NHL continues to capture the unique flavor of the franchise. Contrary to the current alarming tendency of sports games forgetting their roots, NHL really does feel like a hyper-evolved offspring of the original classics. While some franchises abandon their heritage in favor of shallow, marketing-friendly features, EA Sports has continued to produce the same user-friendly, fast-paced, and overall excellent product while still complying with the demands of next-gen gamers.

As I mentioned, my last NHL experience prior to '08, was the 2002 version, which I had, and still have installed, on my PC. Although it was a tad arcade-like, NHL 02 followed the traditional feel and formula to the T. The then-advanced graphics and expanded-yet-intuitive controls made the '02 experience, and provided me with countless hours of game time. However, there were a few very minor annoyances. For one, I disliked the fact that it was very difficult to score with grinders, or role-players. The vast, VAST majority of my goals were scored by my two stars, Jeremy Roenick and Tony Amonte (reunited by the magic of the Fantasy Draft). Secondly, I disliked that it was difficult to run a truly realistic offense and defense; and frankly, the game was just a liiiiiiiiiiiiiitle too check-happy.

In 2008, for once, a game met my lofty expectations, and played as if EA Sports had my wish list in hand when developing this game. The enhanced control of the Skill Stick gives everyone on the ice the ability to make plays. The enhanced AI makes setting-up proper offense and defense not only necessary, but exceptionally easy, even for someone like myself, who is no dynamo of hockey strategy. The checking system is more physics-based, which makes poke-checking and shot-blocking, (and the occasional hook) mandatory weapons in your defensive arsenal. Although I do miss slamming my way out of an oncoming odd-man rush, a well timed poke-check is equally as satisfying.

And finally, my favorite feature, deflections. In fact, the first goal I saw in NHL 08 was a slapshot from the point, deflected top-shelf by the center. I literally dropped my controller. This was the hockey game I've always wanted. It’s the game you should want, too.

Long story short, NHL is the benchmark for a properly run sports-gaming franchise, and should certainly be recognized as such. It still contains enough classic aesthetic and texture to give it that nostalgic NHL appeal, while adhering to next-gen graphical standards, all while evolving into a more meticulous sports simulation.

I’m just embarrassed that it took me this long to realize it.

Member Comments
# 1 Flyermania @ 03/13/08 02:16 PM
About time you got with the program!

I agree with the positive comments on this game...it's amazing how EA has turned around their hockey franchise. It is by far the most realistic hockey title I have played to date, and I enjoy it is much as when I first bought it (day of release, like a true hockey fan ).

# 2 Seahawk76 @ 03/13/08 02:21 PM
My annual disappointment with Madden led me to pick up this game and I don't regret it for a second. Great game. I can't wait to see what they do with NHL 09.

# 3 LP @ 03/13/08 02:41 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seahawk76
My annual disappointment with Madden led me to pick up this game and I don't regret it for a second. Great game. I can't wait to see what they do with NHL 09.
This game is excellent, and has turned 09 into a must buy for me. Too bad they can't do this with Madden.

# 4 catcatch22 @ 03/13/08 02:49 PM
If they can improve on it and not go backwards, then they will have the best sports game to date. It is already one of the best I have ever played but with some refinements it could be the best....EVER! I have to give props to 2k for pushing them soo hard to finally reach this plateau. Without the 2k series I doubt NHL 08 would be this good.

# 5 kellkasey @ 03/13/08 03:01 PM
Agreed. NHL 08 is one of the best sports games I have ever played.

2K started making some great hockey games and it forced EA to step their game up and revolutionize the way we play hockey games. Last year 2k was still on top but this year EA vaulted into the top spot and they look to stay there for a while. This, of course, will make 2K step up their efforts and we the consumer will undoubtedly be the beneficiaries.

Unfortunately we won't see this type of competition in all of our sports games.

# 6 mudtiger @ 03/13/08 03:08 PM
I hope going forward in this series at some point EA will make the puck independent of the player at all times, not unlike soccer games where the ball was separated from the foot.

Even when in control of the puck, it needs it's own physics. The puck needs to be able to come up on end and roll or have trouble going flat etc.

Anyways, back on topic, great write up. This game definitely is a gem despite some of it's flaws. I hadn't bought a hockey game since early 2000, but nhl08 has me ready to buy nhl09 pretty much on day 1.

# 7 Cardot @ 03/13/08 03:18 PM
Yep, it is a great game. But I don't know if I would give it the "Icon" tag. My biggest problem is a lack of options that I had grown used to in the 2K series:
1. Options for periods between 5 and 10 minutes.
2. An option for a shorter season (I don't like simming, but 82 games is too many).
3. Some distinct CPU/User sliders to help bridge the Pro - All Star gap.

But still a great game that I am still playing.

# 8 StormJH1 @ 03/13/08 03:48 PM
Cardot had some great points...NHL '08 is very possibly "iconic" in its gameplay, fun factor, and next-gen feel, but it suffers from many of the traditional EA shortcomings in terms of clunky menu structure, weak offseason and dynasty options, and a poor degree of customizable options. Still, as far as pick--up-and-play fun, I can't think of any recent sports title that comes even close.

I think that the competition with 2k has certainly pushed them to improve their game, but it's ironic that many of the things 2k does well (franchise mode, customization, and options) are NOT the aspects of the game that EA chose to innovate on. Rather, they focused on a innovative controls and brilliant AI that genuinely surprised and impressed their fans. For '09, I would accept seeing only minimal changes to the already stellar gameplay if EA could focus on taking franchise mode and the game's presentation to a whole new level.

# 9 mudtiger @ 03/13/08 04:05 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by StormJH1
Cardot had some great points...NHL '08 is very possibly "iconic" in its gameplay, fun factor, and next-gen feel, but it suffers from many of the traditional EA shortcomings in terms of clunky menu structure, weak offseason and dynasty options, and a poor degree of customizable options. Still, as far as pick--up-and-play fun, I can't think of any recent sports title that comes even close.

I think that the competition with 2k has certainly pushed them to improve their game, but it's ironic that many of the things 2k does well (franchise mode, customization, and options) are NOT the aspects of the game that EA chose to innovate on. Rather, they focused on a innovative controls and brilliant AI that genuinely surprised and impressed their fans. For '09, I would accept seeing only minimal changes to the already stellar gameplay if EA could focus on taking franchise mode and the game's presentation to a whole new level.
I actually disagree on your second point about accepting minimal changes to the AI, and that's odd for me because first and foremost I'm a franchise player and there are tons of things I want added to franchise. For me, EA needs to nail down the AI and how the game plays before they spend time on other things.

The gameplay is close but still needs work and I'd rather see them spend time on nailing down gameplay even if that meant no big improvements in franchise or presentation.

They need to tighten up AI teammates so they aren't dumb as a box of rocks, they need to create more movement off the puck without having to use created plays, they need to force more neutral zone play, they need to revamp passing to allow for off target passes, they need to tighten up shooting mechanics so you don't get the forehand motion turning into a backhand shot (and other weird shots that don't look right), lessen post hits, lessen pucks leaving play, add something to defense to allow for something between a hit and an outright hold/hook, and I'd love to see better puck physics allowing for mishandling of the puck...and that's just off the top of my head regarding gameplay that still needs work.

I don't want the gameplay to take a back seat because it is so close to being A+ rather than the B or B- it is now in terms of realism. I too want to see more presentation and better options, but gameplay first for me.

# 10 bad_philanthropy @ 03/13/08 04:17 PM
NHL 08 is definitely one of the only sports games so far that feels like as significant step up from the last generation. Like others have said though there are still improvements across the board to be made both from a presentation standpoint and gameplay standpoint. The article touches on the tip goal he saw, and while it is a great addition there overall in front of the net play needs to be improved, the physics, collision detection, controls, and AI as it relates to in front of the net play is pretty shoddy considering that in the NHL the vast majority of goals are scored from within five feet of the net. That aside NHL 08 is really the sports game I have been waiting on all these years and will continue to enjoy it until 09.

# 11 LP @ 03/13/08 04:33 PM
I agree with mudtiger. I also will add to that. Goalie play needs to be looked at. They really need to add animations that differentiate a goalie's style. There isn't much of a difference between stand up, butterfly, and hybrid as of right now. The goalies also seem to move from post to post way to quickly once they have gone butterfly. There is a lot to improve gameplay wise. I was satisfied with 08 and think it is the sports game of the year, but I would be disappointed if it wasn't improved in 09.

# 12 SeaNNyT @ 03/13/08 04:43 PM
This is a great hockey game, but some of its faults include sketchy AI.

On pro the AI cannot score a goal for the life of them, but you can get a realistic amount of goals. On superstar the AI becomes an unstoppable defensive machine.

# 13 savoie2006 @ 03/14/08 12:07 AM
Great write up and I agree 100%.NHL 08 is the sports game EA Sports should model all their future sports titles after.Though MVP was the first to pull off a turnaround this major.I was suprised to say the least at how rapidly the NHL series has taken a turn for the better.I can't wait for 09!

# 14 original6 @ 03/14/08 08:58 AM
First off, let's take this article with a grain of salt. The writer has not been following hockey for years and hasn't played video game hockey since 2002. He's missed out on quite a bit of video game hockey development in the past 6 years. Just take a look at titles like NHL 2k3 and the Hitz Pro (amazing goalies!) that were really breakthrough or "iconic" games in their own right. As far as next-gen hockey games go, sure 08 or perhaps more accurately, 07 is the "icon" in setting some new standards.

That being said, I guess I'm in the minority that doesn't feel 08 is one of the best sports games ever. While I feel all the makings of one of the best ever are there, I think 08 falls short with questionable defensive ai (too passive and just plain dumb in front of the net) and robo-goalies. Where did the phenomenal goalies from 07 go? The games puck physics are also questionable, as the puck does not react very well off the boards and passing is way too precise. We also aren't even allowed to control when defenders are allowed to skate backwards in the neutral zone.

While the ai' adaptability to gameplay is amazing, to me, the rest of the game feels "empty", except for some of the occasional "moments" where you see a player react to being hit by a shot. The goalies are lifeless, scoring variety is minimal, and puck physics are not of earthly realm (just check out some replays where the puck path magically "bends" to go to the net). 08 was a big "miss" for me this year when I realized I played far more 07 and couldn't stand to finish a season in dynasty mode.

Nonetheless, I will give EA big kudos for where they've taken this title. It used to be a big pile of doodoo, imo, and it's on the verge of greatness. I do have faith that they will fix what is wrong and take this game to the next level. I can't wait to see how 09 turns out.

# 15 mkharsh33 @ 03/14/08 09:27 AM
I STILL love this game...I hope they don't decide to "rewrite" the game, but instead keep building on what they've done. Fix the offseason (build in some of the Madden concepts to make it more fun / interesting), provide a fantasy draft option, and allow for some more flexible slider options and it's a NEAR perfect game.

EA got this one right...

# 16 Spanky @ 03/14/08 09:27 PM
I absolutely agree with most of the posts here. It's the best hockey game since NHL 94 on the Sega Genesis. I can't speak for the franchise, as I'm not a franchise guy, but playing right out of the box with minimal or no slider adjustments, it plays a great, fun game. And the graphics are the best I've seen in any sports game. As much as I'm dreading what is surely to be another lackluster effort from EA for Madden 09, I have high hopes for NHL 09. EA, if you do nothing else, get some throwback jerseys, lots of them, and put in a season mode where you can play any team's game.

# 17 DrJones @ 03/14/08 09:45 PM
Icon, eh? I'm glad EA turned it around. A far cry from when I worked on NHL 05 and 06, when it was known as "the armpit of sports gaming."

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.