Home
Feature Article
Madden 09: Make or Break Season

Madden 08 was a disaster of sorts for EA Sports. The game was shipped with bugs that rendered major portions of the game unplayable and as a result, the game sold less than the previous year's version. Metacritic average be damned, Madden 08 didn't have the fairy tale year some would have you believe.

This year's Madden release is going to be the most interesting I have covered since beginning my coverage of Madden games back in the year 2001. First off, the big business question is after Madden actually had a drop in sales last season, will that trend continue yet again? For gamers, the big question is will the game simply improve in a big way?

After last year's release, which was based off of more hype than I can remember this side of Madden 2001, there has been a huge backlash among Madden fans who have said they will not be buying the game on the release date this year. Of course every year there some people who say this only to turn around and buy the game the first day yet again; but, based on my observations from browsing through the community, the number is significantly larger than in previous years. I think it's pretty obvious that if the sentiment across the country is somewhat similar then EA could be taking a hit in their sales numbers once again.

The big question then is, does EA feel the same way I do when it comes to the pulse of Madden fans across the country and, if so, how do they plan to remedy it this year?

My first gut reaction, and based on what we are seeing so far with NCAA, is that a focus on the gameplay and the little things to try to make the experience more authentic and more fun is in order. Does that mean we will see Madden back in the booth this year? All indications point to yes, or at the very least we will get some form of a TV presentation. And if EA doesn't do that, then frankly I fear for the sanity and business savvy of EA's leadership.

Another thing I hope we see EA successfully pull off is a polished and relatively bug free release. I know I shouldn't have to say that, yet it's definitely a priority. And yes, every game ever made has bugs, but a major title like Madden simply can't afford to ship with game breaking bugs. This might sound strange for someone to say of a longtime developer, but after last year you just can't take anything for granted. Peter Moore has hinted that this is something we can expect to see remedied somewhat this year, so let's keep our fingers crossed.

One more thing I think we will see is a continued overall improvement of the gameplay this year -- an obvious point I know. But if you played Madden simply head-to-head last year, you actually got to play a pretty decent game sans the fumbles. With some tweaking and balancing by the developers, Madden could at the very least play a good game of football this upcoming season.

Last year's title sans the bugs was very close to being a title that did turn the corner. Instead, inexcusable bugs ruined the day and sent the Madden franchise into a possible tailspin. Looking ahead and this is now year one in the Peter Moore era, and let's not forget there's been a new Lead Producer on board for the last few months, so there's some fresh faces around EA.

One year later, with an added year of polish and work hopefully completed on the key aspects of the title, along with the addition of a quality TV-style broadcast, and I think that Madden NFL 09 could be a return to something we can recognize as a quality Madden title.

Of course, last year many believed the same could happen and we all know what happened next: we were treated to one of the worst Madden titles since, well the year before. However, one thing is for sure: with the newly renewed NFL exclusivity, this is now a make or break year for the Madden franchise. Either get the franchise back on the right foot, or be swallowed up by the swarm of negativity surrounding exclusivity in sports videogames.

And right now, there are no guarantees.

Madden NFL 09 Videos
Member Comments
# 1 ewto16 @ 03/21/08 04:25 PM
Nice article. Madden 08 was the worst Madden I have played in quite some time. I wish someone could tell me why Madden 2005 is still fun, yet Madden 08 stinks.

# 2 noplace @ 03/21/08 04:39 PM
How is it a make or break season with no competition? Its not like we have another choice....It will just be another year of pissed off fans complaing about whats wrong with the game but will keep buying the next version hoping for a miracle...

# 3 RaychelSnr @ 03/21/08 05:01 PM
I think the sagging sales numbers show that it is a make or break season in a couple of respects. If EA doesn't bounce the quality back up after such a big decline in sales, they won't be doing it anytime soon. I'm also sure there is a ton of internal pressure to regain the lost sales of previous years, so no matter how you slice it, I really feel that this is the big year for Madden. Either we are going to see the ship sailing in the right direction again or it's gonna fall off the edge of the earth.

Even with no competition, the sales could still go low enough that the exclusive license is no longer profitable. You got to think that if the sales slip another million or two, EA will be close to not turning a profit on the game. So again, I really feel this is a big year for the Madden series.

# 4 ExtremeGamer @ 03/21/08 05:20 PM
I actually liked Madden 08...shrug. I don't feel 09 is a make or break year, they just re-signed the contract, and the game still sells millions upon millions of copies every year.

We'll all be hyped into 09 after the NFL Draft in April and the game will be one of the most anticipated game on the boards from now until release, book it.

# 5 SageInfinite @ 03/21/08 05:28 PM
I liked Madden 08 too, but I think that's only because 07 and 06 were TERRIBLE. Tho I enjoyed Madden 08 for what it was, it's still NO WHERE NEAR where I think the series should be by now. Good article tho. Make or break year? I just don't know. Seems like Madden just gets more popular every year. If EA throws its hype machine on, you can bet the sales will be up again.

# 6 bkrich83 @ 03/21/08 05:49 PM
How many years in a row is this a "Make or Break" year for Madden? Seems like we've been saying it for a few years at the least.

I enjoyed it at times last year, but overall I felt it was just another lackluster attempt. Just once in my lifetime, I'd love for Madden to rely on having to use tactics, and strategies that are at least somewhere near reality. I'd love for ratings to mean something, and I love to truly be able to tell the difference between the players different skill sets.

Maybe it's just me.

# 7 PAPERNUT @ 03/21/08 06:51 PM
Great article. Fan boys will cringe, but it is dead on. EA is like Microsoft as the loss of money will not hurt them, but removing the game from the top as it usually is will be more than enough to hurt their pride and image.

# 8 yamabushi @ 03/21/08 07:15 PM
I see nothing coming but improved/slicker presentation. Something "reviewers" and un-informed consumers can point too with ohhs and ahhs and say 'Maddens taken the next step' .

Prove me wrong EA.

# 9 Cusefan @ 03/21/08 07:34 PM
The more i think about it the more i realize that Madden 09 has to be great for me to continue buying their product. Madden 08 was not nearly as bad as you would think it was by looking at this forum but it was my least favorite madden title of the last 10 years, easy.

I remember a time when madden, Nhl, and NBA live were all amazing titles, hopefully EA can get back to their roots...

# 10 spankdatazz22 @ 03/21/08 07:35 PM
If the author's correct seems like fixing the game's bugs and adding some presentation aspects is what Madden needs to do to be considered turning the corner, that seems like a relatively low bar to have to jump over. Expecting gameplay depth, innovation, x's and o's really mattering - that's perhaps a little much right now.

But let's say they trip again - what difference is it going to make? NOW would be the point where reviewers become indignant? After happily endorsing it/giving out 8+'s the past few years, and 9+'s as long as I can remember last gen? I can't wait to see IGN or TeamXbox explain their score again btw. I don't see how Metacritic reviews can be damned because that's what Peter Moore is using to validate Madden's quality - not any dip in sales. And EA's done a great job of insulating themselves. They have no true competition; they're about to put another bullet in 2K's head since they didn't die the first time (like Kill Bill); they just reupped the NFL license guaranteeing they'll be the only football developer even beyond the launch of the NextXbox & PS4. The time for the gaming media to step up was in '06 or '07. Day late dollar short.

This year will be like all the others - people will cross their fingers and hope EA delivers. If not, they'll wait until [next] year. Hope for the best, but expect the worst. With such low expectations it's hard to fail.

# 11 statum71 @ 03/21/08 08:34 PM
Who's "bright" idea was it to go away from TV-style presentation anyway???? That was dumb. Every othre sports game has it. And every other sports game seems more realistic. Although that is just one area of needed improvement......it CERTAINLY didn't help Madden.

# 12 coogrfan @ 03/21/08 09:38 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by MMChrisS
I think the sagging sales numbers show that it is a make or break season in a couple of respects. If EA doesn't bounce the quality back up after such a big decline in sales, they won't be doing it anytime soon. I'm also sure there is a ton of internal pressure to regain the lost sales of previous years, so no matter how you slice it, I really feel that this is the big year for Madden. Either we are going to see the ship sailing in the right direction again or it's gonna fall off the edge of the earth.
One problem with this theory--sales of the next-gen versions were up last year, not down. The decline in overall sales was due to the drastic drop off in last gen sales (which to the best of my knowledge was not plagued by the gameplay issues that were present on the 360/ps3).

2007: http://vgchartz.com/games/index.php?...r=Last+Updated

2008: http://vgchartz.com/games/index.php?...r=Last+Updated

For this reason, I'm skeptical about this "make or break" stuff.

# 13 N51_rob @ 03/21/08 10:24 PM
When you think about it. With the purchase of Take-Two becoming more and more a reality. Even if EA doesn't renew the license with the NFL when it expires this time. Who will be there to challenge them? I think that Madden is going to be the game for gammers for the forseable future. I hope this game is good but I won't be purchasing on release day this year like I didn't last year.

# 14 ChaseB @ 03/21/08 11:54 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by coogrfan
One problem with this theory--sales of the next-gen versions were up last year, not down. The decline in overall sales was due to the drastic drop off in last gen sales (which to the best of my knowledge was not plagued by the gameplay issues that were present on the 360/ps3).

2007: http://vgchartz.com/games/index.php?...r=Last+Updated

2008: http://vgchartz.com/games/index.php?...r=Last+Updated

For this reason, I'm skeptical about this "make or break" stuff.
Just FYI, vgchartz is not very reliable. But yes your point is still solid.

# 15 coogrfan @ 03/22/08 12:13 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slizeezyc
Just FYI, vgchartz is not very reliable. But yes your point is still solid.
Yeah, their exact numbers should be taken with a large grain of salt. They are mainly useful as an indicator of general sales trends.

# 16 pf8363 @ 03/22/08 12:18 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cusefan
The more i think about it the more i realize that Madden 09 has to be great for me to continue buying their product. Madden 08 was not nearly as bad as you would think it was by looking at this forum but it was my least favorite madden title of the last 10 years, easy.

I remember a time when madden, Nhl, and NBA live were all amazing titles, hopefully EA can get back to their roots...
while madden and nba live are dreadful, i think the nhl series is at its best. it got my vote for sports game of the year

# 17 jsou4646 @ 03/22/08 03:09 AM
2k5 is still the best game out there

# 18 Pared @ 03/22/08 10:50 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ExtremeGamer
We'll all be hyped into 09 after the NFL Draft in April and the game will be one of the most anticipated game on the boards from now until release, book it.
You know what? I can't help but point to the boards being a determining factor on whether or not they purchase the game here. Am I stating the obvious? Maybe, but there's a reason why I bring this point up.

What good is it "waiting until some get the game here" when most of the people who get the game early are typically the ones who enjoy it regardless?

Some of the early impressions from people here were the game was FANTASTIC! AMAZING! WOW, SO MUCH BETTER THAN LAST YEAR!

.....ok? The minute someone who gets the game and says otherwise they're called a troll or some other stupid name. From all the hype everyone generates on the boards early on, how can anyone expect the game to exceed/fail those expectations? There isn't any balance or level headed impressions early on...

Eh, I guess I'm just ranting now. The game has promise but the attention to details is something the Madden series just doesn't have. Love the Browns unis last year... makes you wonder if these guys are NFL football fans, or just video game fans.

# 19 STLRams @ 03/22/08 12:44 PM
The last few Maddens including 08 were not good sim football games, period. This exclusive crap stinks. I will rent Madden 09 first before I buy it. I haven't bought a Madden game since 05, I've just rented them first to test them out. What was the point of getting this exlusive NFL contract, and EA having access to all the NFL footage and info and things like that, and they don't use this stuff to its potential in there games. Improve the TV broadcast, nobody likes that damn radio annoucer, improve the gameplay, make it a sim football game, fix the bugs, make the game realistic EA. If you think about it thought, why should they? There the only NFL game out, the madden droids will still buy the game no matter what, espically when EA start releasing those Madden 09 hype commericals and those Madden previews from IGN,Gamespot, etc and say like they always do every year - this is gonna be the best Madden ever, they have really improved, yeah right. Guys don't believe the hype. I really hope Madden 09 is better, but I have to rent it first, I can't be a Madden droid and buy it day one.

# 20 The Bimmer @ 03/22/08 04:15 PM
As of right this minute, I aint buyin' until they start supplin' some presentation, gamplay, etc......

« Previous123Next »

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.