Home
Feature Article
Madden 09 Cover Boy - OS Roundtable

Members of the community and Operation Sports staffers tackle this week's roundtable question ... Who should be on the cover of Madden 09?

TJ Cutini - Can I put the homer hat on and suggest Marshawn Lynch? No? Okay, fine!

I guess I'll go with that OTHER rookie running back from last season, the Minnesota Vikings' Adrian Peterson. He's a big name. People who follow the NFL know him from the outstanding rookie campaign of last season. People who know the college game remember him from Oklahoma.

When you're talking game covers, it's not just about the best, it's also about the most recognizable player and with Peterson, you could make an argument that you have both.

Patrick Williams - I hate this topic. Every year people cry about it.

Usually EA goes with a hot player that everyone loved about 2 years before - making the cover the last exclaimation point in their career. For that reason I hope Ben Roethlisberger isn't on it.

However, I can see Peterson getting it, or LDT (he wouldn't do it last year because of money). Perhaps it is time for a Manning? Eli winning the Superbowl I guess gives that family a good reason to sell out some more.

Regardless of who is on the cover, what is on the disc better be far improved. And if I had to make a prediction: EA sometimes goes with a player that accents new features in the game. My guess would be John Madden himself, boom!

Eric Westfall - I'll say Adrian Peterson just so the curse can get him and the Lions actually have a shot at the playoffs. Ah! Who am I kidding - we're never gonna make the playoffs.

All kidding aside, I gotta say Justin Tuck. Before you start flipping out calling me nuts, consider for a second. Based on his performance in the Super Bowl alone he deserves it. He was more deserving of the MVP in that game than Eli with how well he kept the Patriots' line off balance all game. Top that off with a solid performance all season and I gotta go with the dark horse in Tuck.

Dave Branda - Haven't the poor Viking's fans been through enough? Last time one of their players graced the cover of Madden he had an incredibly bad season before blowing out his knee.

Personally, I'd like to see EA shake things up and put either an offensive or defensive lineman on the cover. Perhaps the cover can be the first to feature a few players with Tuck, Strahan and Umineyora all gracing the cover?

Garrett Hardesty (Garrett67) - I only need to say two words, "Tom Brady".

We all know that the Patriots finished the season 18-1 and that may be a record that stands out more than than the Dolphins undefeated season, simply because of the hype brought forth by the media.

Before I continue, I would like to take this time to point out that I am not a New England Patriots fan. Although I have lived in Michigan and have been a Michigan football fan for the entire 40 years of my life, you might think I'm a Brady fan. I am not and perhaps that stems from the fact that he plays professional football, makes tons of money and dates Super Models.

Am I jealous? Perhaps, but there is no denying how great of a player he is.

Just look at some of his stats and achievements over the years. In 2007 he set an NFL record with 50 TD passes with only 8 interceptions, threw for 4,806 yards passing, he was the first QB to finish the regular season with a 16-0 record. He also has 3 Super Bowl rings, 2 Super Bowl MVP awards, 1 NFL MVP award ... and did I mention he dates Super Models?

Over the years, Tom Brady has shown time and time again that he is a winner, a role model and a born leader. When you add all of those up, you get Tom Brady on the cover of Madden 09.

Z. Swarts (Aka Wesley) - I think that this years cover should pay Homage to Brett. The guy has five NFL records and is a future Hall of Famer no questions asked.

I think that it would be something great for hime to leave with.

Ryan P. (Killgod) - I think Madden is due to place a wide receiver on the cover of their annual title. One of the feel good story of last season was the resurgence of the cellar dwelling Cleveland Browns, with Braylon Edwards being a vital part to the team's success. He is also one the league's brightest young stars.

When you look at the cover of a video game title, you want something to catch you attention and get you excited to play. Edwards without question was one of the most exciting players to watch this season and that should continue for years to come.

Mark A. (Nature Boy) - Even though I'm not a New England or Tom Brady fan, you can't ignore the record breaking season The Pats had last season.

With that being said, I think Tom Brady would make a great coverman for Madden NFL Football 09. He and WR Randy Moss made last year a season that NFL fans will never forget

Matt S. (RyanLeaf16) - When selecting the cover athlete for this season there are some questions that must be posed:

1. What direction will we be taking the game in this season? Simulation/Arcade?
2. Will there be a learning curve?
3. What is our customer-base? Hardcore or casual?

New EA head Peter Moore has said in interviews that he doesn’t see the need for changes to the Madden brand and that he would like to see the product simplified to attract new gamers. Thus, our three questions have been answered. 1. Arcade; 2. No real learning curve - people can pick-up the game and play; 3. Casual.

What cover athlete would not only be recognizable to casual fans, but, stick to the wide-open gameplay that we have become accustomed to?

ADP – Adrian Peterson.

Not only was he, arguably, the best running back in the league, his popularity is sky-high and he is sure to be the beneficiary of a sharp ratings boost which will increase his popularity even more and the Vikings’ in Madden tournaments around the country. He is a gentleman on and off the field, has stayed away from trouble/controversy and would be a excellent face for the brand.

Want to have your voice heard in the next OS Round Table? Contact Dave Branda (aka BlyGilmore) either via forum PM or email at [email protected].

Madden NFL 09 Videos
Member Comments
# 1 NYG_Meth @ 03/25/08 07:26 PM
Is Jason Tuck related to Justin Tuck?

# 2 Stroehms @ 03/25/08 08:01 PM
Personally I think they should honor Madden in a way. Maybe each past cover in the background and have a, let's say, Adrian Peterson overlaying that and then the madden logo going across his legs. sounds good, right? right.

# 3 Sandman42 @ 03/25/08 08:18 PM
I don't know, I think I'd rather have Allen Peterson or Patrick Manning on the cover before Jason Tuck.

# 4 marshallfever @ 03/25/08 09:16 PM
Eric Westfall Said Jason Tuck, its Justin Tuck and theres no way he'll make the cover. EA picks the Cover guy before the Super Bowl even comes around. I seriously doubt it would be Tuck.

However as everyone in the world Mentioned, it could possibly be Adrian, however 07 had a running back on it. I don't think 09 will be another running back. It'll definitely have something to do with their "new idea."

My guess goes for someone like Randy Moss with with them seriously altering the receiver position or possibly or maybe a defensive player like a Cornerback

# 5 CM Hooe @ 03/25/08 09:27 PM
Tony Romo.

Hey, someone had to say it.

# 6 Steve_OS @ 03/25/08 09:33 PM
Tuck has been fixed. And I agree w/ Krioniq.

# 7 DLaren @ 03/26/08 04:11 AM
I think the fact that Madden'09 will be the 20th anniversary edition should be taken into consideration, so this years game shouldn't just have the usual, run-of-the-mill cover-boy.

Personally, I'd like to see John Madden front and center with a collage of every Madden cover from the past in the background (or something to that effect).

Anything but the standard fare, Madden'09 is supposed to be a celebratory event and hopefully the cover of this years game reflects that.

# 8 SageInfinite @ 03/26/08 09:11 AM
Just put Madden back on the cover.

# 9 RoyalBoyle78 @ 03/26/08 09:15 AM
I'm thinking it will be Eli...

# 10 SportsTop @ 03/26/08 09:44 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by FootballForever
I'm thinking it will be Eli...
Have they ever had back-to-back same position covers before? I can't recall off the top of my head.

It's a commemorative year so I'm guessing they'll want a potential future HOFer on the cover.

# 11 scottjwatson @ 03/26/08 06:02 PM
You all have good suggestions, well except for Tom Brady. But I think it should be a guy who completely changes his team when he's out there. I'm talking about the Defensive POY, BOB SANDERS!! I'm not even a colts fan, but i love this guy.

# 12 RoyalBoyle78 @ 03/26/08 08:14 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Squint
Have they ever had back-to-back same position covers before? I can't recall off the top of my head.

It's a commemorative year so I'm guessing they'll want a potential future HOFer on the cover.
Michael Strahan.

# 13 SportsTop @ 03/26/08 08:49 PM
Quote:
Michael Strahan.
I don't think he or Favre would be eligible if they retire as they are no longer part of the NFLPA, correct? EA wouldn't have the license to their likenesses.

# 14 RandyMoss84 @ 03/29/08 12:10 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by steveo
Tom Brady a role model? Hahaha, yeah knocking up ex girlfriends is just what kids should strive for and spazzing out on the field at teammates in blowouts (he did this numerous times) and getting into trash talking with chump players (like that steelers safety who ran his mouth) is really the role kids should follow. I won't even get started in running up the score by throwing bombs late in 4th qtr blowouts to pad the stats (Brady could have easily audibled out of these calls if he cared about sportsmanship or pulled himself out of the game) and how that is hardly what role models do. Oh and of all the top QBs currently in the NFL, Brady is the WORST role model. For someone to say he is a role model is pretty damn amusing to me but then again, I do not care that brady got lucky to be on a great team with a great defense and kicker that got him 3 rings by a whopping 3 pts each so I actually look at how he is rather than be all amazed at the 3 rings.

Oh and who cares if he dates a supermodel? Here is something that will blow your minds- Manface (aka Gisele since her face is very mannish) dated Leo DiCaprio and most likely other guys before Brady...should we all go and be jealous of them? And how did it become plural (supermodels) when he has apparently only dated one? And why do football fans acts like he has dated the hottest women alive when his last two girlfriends are avg looking at best and far hotter women are dating people other than tom brady? People act like Brady can just have any woman he wants yet it sure seems that is way off reality.

I don't even want to get into his "record breaking" year where he threw a whopping one more td than Manning despite having 81 more attempts (that is a TD % of 9.9 for manning and 8.7 for brady) and throwing quite a few of those TDs in junk time when he should have been on the bench. The same is true for the yards. If Peyton Manning had that many attempts or if he even played the final reg season game of the 04 seasons he'd have probably had 53+ TDs and more yards. The best thing Brady did was only throw the 8 INTs...that was impressive although when 3/4 of your passes are 5-10 yard dumps to a wide open welker or your RBs it isn't difficult to keep it from being picked but hey, that was great play calling and decision making on his part. Brady's year was great but it still doesn't touch Manning's 04 season hence why the rating for Peyton is 4 points higher...and people can bring up the 16-0 stuff all they want but who cares? It doesn't matter since they didn't win the only game that truly mattered and they were lucky to go 16-0 since there were 3 or even 4 games they should have lost (vs the heavily injury plagued Colts who blew the 4th qtr lead, the ravens who somehow blew that, the eagles, and the giants who blew that double digit lead) but luck seemed to get them the wins...i like to think of it though as karma setting them up to have the biggest upset/choke job in SB history which was so fitting for that team.

I'd like to see someone like Moss on the cover. Actually no...I want to see a defensive player (don't care who) and for the game to actually not suck. I got an idea...how about instead of looking for a cover athlete and paying for that (along with silly *** music in the game) EA focuses on the actual gameplay and just puts madden on the cover. nah, can't do that...that'd make sense.
oooo steveo where to start

seems someone is a little jealous of tommy boy

your arguement is wrong on sooooo many levels

bradys is better than manning face it

GQ MAN OF THE YEAR

# 15 outlawz1979 @ 03/29/08 02:38 PM
anybody but vince young the guy is just plain bad lol

# 16 marshallfever @ 03/29/08 03:41 PM
I'm voting for Randy Moss

# 17 therizing02 @ 03/29/08 07:02 PM
Quote:
Michael Strahan.
Lol! Are you just going down the Giants roster for ideas?

I think it should be Eli.

# 18 pf8363 @ 03/29/08 08:37 PM
david tyree..... lol! with a picture of that one catch! no i think it will be moss because they havent had a reciever in a while, wait have they ever had one?

2008 - vince young
2007 - shaun alexander
2006 - donovan mcnabb
2005 - ray lewis
2004 - dog killer
2003 - marshall faulk
2002 - daunte callpepper
2001 - eddie george
thats as much as i can remember but i know they had madden on there for a while

# 19 Bighoff @ 03/29/08 10:16 PM
I would like to see a pic of Madden on the cover, something like an old one from his Raider days.

# 20 QuesP @ 03/30/08 04:11 PM
Brian Urlacher should be on the Cover dont you think?

« Previous12Next »

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.