Home
Feature Article
NCAA Football 09: Reason to Hope

Although NCAA Football 09 won't be out for a few more months, there is a bit of hope surrounding this season's release.

This is now the third installment for the series on the Xbox 360 and second for Playstation 3. It is about time for EA Tiburon to show us what they’ve got up their sleeve. Development problems should be tackled by now as well as graphics and frame rate issues. This is perhaps the year we should see the full power of “Next Gen” come to fruition.

What we know so far:

With little info being available for NCAA Football 2009 currently, we mostly have last year to go on when looking ahead to this year. However, most of us have seen the video of cover boy Darren McFadden giving the shimmy shake in his Arkansas uniform. This tells us that stick play is going to be focal point once again and with that news, stick jockeys everywhere should rejoice.

We also have seen that player models have been slightly improved from the screenshots recently released by EA Sports. The way the pads fit under the jersey looks refined. Things have also been touched up a little, giving everything a more polished look.

Finally, EA has stated that they are committed to bringing more atmosphere to this year’s game. One can only guess at this time what that might include, but the consensus is that it will be a welcome addition.

What we should be looking for:

After the patch was released for NCAA Football 2008, the game play was vastly improved. This is a trend that should continue in the same direction with the upcoming title. We are talking everything from touch passing to better blocking and defensive back play should be touched.

The menus last year were certainly an area that lacked pop to many. The dynasty menu mostly was the culprit to these complaints. That shouldn’t be too hard to revamp and jazz up a little for aesthetics and functionality.

The inclusion of discipline and medical redshirts are features that are highly requested, and their additions may finally pop up in next gen this July. This would only help to improve a pretty decent dynasty mode, and make the game replay factor last a bit longer.

Downloadable content disappeared last year for the 360, causing a step back with no alternate unis at all to use. One of the hopes across the community for this season is that alternate and throwback jerseys return to the NCAA franchise in some form or fashion. It does not matter whether it is via free download with a much earlier release date than in 2007 or if they are included on the game disk somehow, the hope is that we will see alternates back this season.

Finally the rest of the FBS stadiums should be replicated and put in the game, as there were only a few dozen more left. The addition of FCS teams may finally rear their heads as well on the newest consoles.

When will we know:

With spring practice here for many and coming up for others, it is never too early to start thinking about college football. However, it is still too early to tell what we can fully expect with NCAA Football 09. As is typically the case, we should start seeing some major details turning up towards the month of May.

With E3 no longer giving us our first taste of NCAA in early May, we are forced to rely on EA to release info in the coming months. In the meantime, be sure to stay tuned to Operation Sports for those details.

In the meantime, expect more info to slowly leak in the coming weeks. Check EA’s homepage and Operation Sports often, as things are always being updated.

If everything goes as it looks it might NCAA Football 09

could see a breakthrough year. However, potential has never been EA’s problem. Hopefully we get everything we wanted and more with NCAA Football 09 this summer!

NCAA Football 09 Videos
Member Comments
# 1 vick5 @ 03/28/08 06:37 PM
uhhhhhhh..........I think they will add HOME FIELD ADVANTAGE and proclaim it to be the greatest feature ever added to a College Football video game.....Just a guess though

# 2 michapop9 @ 03/28/08 08:03 PM
yeah its about that time of year that an article like this comes out, I guess I wouldnt be reading this if I didnt have a smell (very small) shred of hope that things might be better, but Ive been a renter the past year and will again. saves me 60 bucks on some stupid bubblegum football game, why am I still playing NFL 2K5? Oh thats right because tho not perfect, its still the best football game out there.

# 3 spankdatazz22 @ 03/28/08 08:15 PM
Where's the substance? I thought I'd at least get to read about the new juke system - which has already been shown in extremely early form. Instead nothing more than a pointless hype article? Don't be so transparent OS

# 4 DubTrey1 @ 03/28/08 09:11 PM
I learned long ago not to get hopes up too high when dealing with EA and football games..... I will have to revert to the old "wait and see" again this year. There are sadly no "locks" in sports gaming like there seemingly are in other non sports games - (see GTAIV, COD4 etc.)

# 5 Jethown @ 03/28/08 11:12 PM
A part of me really hopes this game will be good, but a part of me still remembers my disappointment with '07 and '08...

# 6 jdrhammer @ 03/28/08 11:55 PM
If all the options/features from last gen aren't in the game, I will consider it a disappointment. I'm almost certain it will be a disappointment. The Discipline feature needs to be unlimited so you don't have to take away from recruiting or training. That was screwed up.

# 7 spit_bubble @ 03/29/08 12:32 AM
March: Reason to Hope...

Come July, Reason to Patch?

# 8 Radja @ 03/29/08 09:15 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by MMChrisS
NCAA Football 09's release is coming up in July. Operation Sports Patrick Williams looks at what we can expect in his latest article.
three years into next gen and they are finally going to use the power of the next-gen?????

the richest game developer? the most resources and facilities?

smaller groups of developers for all sorts of game styles have shown us the power of next gen, sports and non-sports!!!

are you kidding me? does anyone get more free passes than Tiburon? they have problems inherent year after year and each year the hype gets more insulting.

# 9 Artman22 @ 03/29/08 10:12 AM
If the overall gameplay does not change. Then it will continue to be a disapointment. They need to make the animations more smooth. 07 and 08 felt really stiff

# 10 SageInfinite @ 03/29/08 11:17 AM
EA just needs to dump tiburon in my opinion. They've never taken Madden or NCAA to its full potential. They just don't seem talented enough to work on a big game like Madden/NCAA. Let them work on the arcade football. Or at least make the teams bigger between each game(NCAA/Madden).

# 11 jdrhammer @ 03/29/08 06:00 PM
One thing I'd like to add, is to be able to cut players off your roster to start the offseason. They then show up to transfer to another school and they remain in the game. Sometimes you have guys that you know you can't keep, so why not allow them to transfer.

Separate JUCO pool for recruiting. Also, have schools like K-State, that signs several each year, be able to acquire them easier since they have a past. I guess it would be a JUCO Pipeline.

Better position and depth chart management by the CPU. I'm in year 2017 and Florida has like 9 or 10 QB's but doesn't even have a two-deep on the OL. Balance out the teams better. This is screwed up like the Madden draft, where the CPU will draft a QB four years in a row and they have obvious needs.

Say you're recruiting QB's. You have two committed, but the one you want the most is still out there. Well, no QB in his right mind wants to be in a 3 QB class, so he drops your school from consideration. This would be cool to see to help balance out rosters as well.

Make it harder for the WAC teams and non-BCS schools to sign 4 and 5* players. Powerhouse teams like LSU don't recruit their homestates well in my Dynasty. They also end up signing less top-rated recruits than normal.

# 12 jdrhammer @ 03/29/08 06:01 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by SageTheInfinite
EA just needs to dump tiburon in my opinion. They've never taken Madden or NCAA to its full potential. They just don't seem talented enough to work on a big game like Madden/NCAA. Let them work on the arcade football. Or at least make the teams bigger between each game(NCAA/Madden).
I couldn't agree more about dumping Tiburon. If there isn't anyone any better, I'd be shocked if some rich genius kid doesn't start up a company and blow their doors off.

# 13 countryboy @ 03/29/08 07:31 PM
Thus far, I am liking what I am hearing. Come on July 15th

# 14 edubbs @ 03/29/08 09:13 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by SageTheInfinite
EA just needs to dump tiburon in my opinion. They've never taken Madden or NCAA to its full potential. They just don't seem talented enough to work on a big game like Madden/NCAA.
I agree.

I have been saying this for about 3 years now. I was really expecting big things on the NextGen Consoles.

Between that 10 year old gameplay engine that they are using and the lack of basic football strategic fundamentals..... it has become painfully obvious that Tiburon as a team and a developer does not have the talent OR ability to even remotely create a simulation style football title.

# 15 Skyboxer @ 03/29/08 11:42 PM
There will still be tons of players who rush out and get this day one as well as Madden. I wish I could say I won't be one of them but I know I'll get NCAA day one. Madden I;ll be renting first for the first time ever but I did enjoy NCAA last year.

# 16 KG @ 03/30/08 10:44 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by edubbs
I agree.

I have been saying this for about 3 years now. I was really expecting big things on the NextGen Consoles.

Between that 10 year old gameplay engine that they are using and the lack of basic football strategic fundamentals..... it has become painfully obvious that Tiburon as a team and a developer does not have the talent OR ability to even remotely create a simulation style football title.
Co-sign

# 17 SteelerSpartan @ 03/31/08 02:40 AM
As someone mentioned earlier...its pretty damm frustrating seeing minuscule improvements from year to year with these games....and its even more fffing frustrating when you know EA is big enough and powerful enough to get the job done yet, choose not to, to save themselves $$$$.....

and to top it all off these Next-Gen games have been going backwards really in just about every area besides graphics.

There's so much crap they need to have in 09 from just the past iterations let alone new innovative ideas, for me to have "hope" in that this franchise isn't anything more then a yearly half-hearted cash cow to them.

# 18 Sausage @ 03/31/08 02:27 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by kgx2thez
Co-sign
Co-sign, the developers at tiburon need to tattoo a tear drop down there eyes for murdering both football games.

# 19 nxt @ 03/31/08 02:31 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sausage
Co-sign, the developers at tiburon need to tattoo a tear drop down there eyes for murdering both football games.
...LOL

# 20 Crimsontide27 @ 03/31/08 03:02 PM
Its a yearly cycle thats coming around again. Each year a few members hype the hell out of NCAA..then they rush out a buy it a week early from somewhere...then the entire boards are foaming at the mouths reading about how spectacular the game is....then the rest of the peanut gallery get the game.

Needless to say, when the peanut gallery has the game and its major problems seem to have gone un-noticed by the hype crew here, they are labled trolls and told they are EA bashers or something.

Same game as last years no doubt, save maybe 1 new feature that probably doesnt work. Menus will lag so bad they are virtually unused, DBs and LBs will still have the leaps of superman, Qbs will still not throw the deep ball, create a play will abuse the AI like we have never witnessed before, there will be no alternate jerseys, and we will still have the same commentary that we have had for the last 8 years or so...

Yet the game will be recieved like the second coming of Jesus for the first 2-3 weeks....everyone will rush out and buy it....only to realize its the same ole as 08

« Previous123Next »

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.