Home
Feature Article
Everybody's a Critic: Hot Shots Golf Out of Bounds Edition
We've posted our review for the PS3-exclusive Hot Shots Golf: Out of Bounds, but what did some other reviewers have to say about the game?

Console Monster (92/100)
: Despite the small selection of courses, and minor gripes with dialogue, the game really is addictive, both off and online. Both hardcore and softcore golf lovers will adore this game. The arcade-like feel mixed in with realistic gameplay and fun character creations make this title an absolute must-by for anyone with half a golfing brain.

Giant Bomb (3/5): Hot Shots Golf: Out of Bounds for the PlayStation 3 is a game out of time. While the technical sheen of the presentation and the robustness of the online component feel modern enough, the cutely Japanese characters (complete with poorly matched English voiceovers), the all-too-familiar swing mechanic, and limited number of courses and gameplay modes make it feel like 1997 all over again. While the new subtitle might suggest that Hot Shots is finally going to let its hair down, break some rules, think outside the box, incite a paradigm shift, etc., this is about as traditional as video game golf gets. Despite the dearth of much genuine evolution, though, Out of Bounds still manages a pleasant game of golf.

Game Informer (8/10): While you won’t hear me complaining about Hot Shots’ new swing, the game has lost a little of its verve in other areas. The chock-full items shop from Hot Shots Fore is gone, and while you can still get outfits and clubs, I don’t feel like a kid in a candy store or that I’m being spurred on in my career like I used to be. This is one small thing that makes this year’s career mode a little less engaging, but the pacing of the courses also puts a damper on it. After my first few hours of playing, I was still only playing on two courses. These details by no means make Out of Bounds a bad game, I just wish that at a time when rival Tiger Woods has created a new, well-paced career structure, Hot Shots would step up and compete.

Gamespot (7.5/10): The PlayStation 3 version of Hot Shots: Out of Bounds looks exactly the way you'd expect it to look. The big-headed, big-eyed characters maintain the look of previous golfers in the series, though they aren't quite as interesting as some earlier characters. From an artistic standpoint, the courses aren't anything to marvel at, but technically they look just fine, and their slant toward realism works well when combined with the unrealistic characters. Hot Shots' relatively simple visuals do have one benefit; the game runs smoothly at all times--a must for a game where precise timing is so important.

Destructoid (9/10): As always, this version of Hot Shots Golf is deeper than it looks. You'll fight through wind and weather conditions and fight out of hazards. You'll learn how important spin and impact are, and you'll need every advantage you can acquire to beat the final tournaments.