Home
Feature Article
NCAA Football 09: Online Dynasty Should Spawn a New Era

Of all the wish lists and other ideas for game improvements I've considered over the years, I had honestly never thought of online dynasties; at least, not seriously. It seemed like sort of a pie in the sky fantasy to me.

Last year I had the opportunity to visit the EA studios to preview the current NCAA. In talking to Kendall Boyd, I noticed that when somebody brought up the idea of online dynasties, there was a little twinkle in his eye. He seemed to be saying that no, we don’t have the capability to do it now, but just wait. Obviously, those were not his exact words, only what I got out of it.

Well, fast forward to a year later. EA has announced that there will be 12-team online dynasties in the upcoming game, replete with full recruiting against the other players. Immediately after the announcement, there are already online leagues being formed. Past leagues from the PC days being re-formed. Friends from the late 90’s are coming together to rehash those old times.

This is the power of next-gen online content. In the case of dynasty mode, I expect to see a huge increase in the number of dynasties being posted on our forums. The reason for this is that online dynasties effectively erase the vast majority of shortcomings people experience in solo play.

Tired of having to set strict recruiting rules, yet still ending up with a superior class because the CPU teams don’t adequately chase the diamonds in the rough? Problem solved. Now there will be 11 other people that also are looking for the diamond in the rough. Sort of gives new meaning to what a diamond in the rough is doesn't it?

Do you win every game? Of course that was never a problem for me, but for the majority of us an unbeaten record will now at least include a few wins over human opponents, which makes runing the table a lot more satisfying.

The thing I like about the idea of an online dynasty is that you can join a league that fits your preferences. Some of the most enjoyable leagues might be a league where everybody takes a team in the MAC, for instance. Seriously, I get all giddy just thinking about something like that.

Have a group of friends who think the SEC is the only conference that matters? Create an SEC league. How about a league of horrible teams from around the country all being built up from the ground up in tandem? Call it the 107 through 119 league.

For a guy like me, a league with teams in multiple conferences works best because I work a lot and can’t schedule all of my games during waking hours. Three to five games per dynasty season against human opponents will be about all I can handle.

I expect the forums will now be teeming with people who are seeing the real beauty of dynasty mode for the first time because of this new mass-appeal feature. And to use the oldest phrase in the gamers’ arsenal of clichés...I can’t wait.

I still have questions that I want answered. Will there be a web page created for each online league to keep track of standings and stats? Now that would really be cool.

What if the league goes sour and you want to finish your dynasty off line? Is that possible? We’ll know the details soon enough.  In the meantime, stay tuned to Operation Sports for the latest info on this and other features of NCAA Football 09.

NCAA Football 09 Videos
Member Comments
# 1 muggins @ 04/28/08 03:02 PM
This article is right on. If they do online dynasty right I'd purchase this even if it was professional women's football

# 2 Dame @ 04/28/08 03:10 PM
Yeah i agree with the article 100%

# 3 BlyGilmore @ 04/28/08 03:32 PM
the triumphant return of Hellisan ... and in his first article he steals my idea for Wednesday's column ...

# 4 FAIRDALE_KINGS @ 04/28/08 08:00 PM
nice article. I can't wait to participate in an online dynasty this summer.

# 5 AuburnAlumni @ 04/28/08 09:22 PM
I've been saying that since day 1 when I found out it was really happening.

I'm STILL playing 08 very often, so as long as the gameplay is tweaked at least as good as last years, I can find some good sliders for dynasty...PLUS having another 4-5 guys to compete against.

I learned my lesson with the Legends league about immediately jumping into a 12 man dynasty because I plan on playing this game for the entire year.....which I'd say about .08% of the entire OS population will do as well. So picking guys who will go the "long haul" in a great dynasty is the one major factor involved.

So far..we've got 4 really great guys ready to play and I CANT WAIT!!!

# 6 Soonerd2 @ 04/28/08 09:34 PM
Solidice and I have been wondering about the slider situation.

Will we have to play on a default level, with no editable sliders?

Will there be one slider set for all players?

If so, will they be editable once the dynasty has started? (By the "commish"?)

# 7 auburntigersfan @ 04/28/08 10:17 PM
right on man

# 8 KG @ 04/28/08 10:51 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by AuburnAlumni
I've been saying that since day 1 when I found out it was really happening.

I'm STILL playing 08 very often, so as long as the gameplay is tweaked at least as good as last years, I can find some good sliders for dynasty...PLUS having another 4-5 guys to compete against.

I learned my lesson with the Legends league about immediately jumping into a 12 man dynasty because I plan on playing this game for the entire year.....which I'd say about .08% of the entire OS population will do as well. So picking guys who will go the "long haul" in a great dynasty is the one major factor involved.

So far..we've got 4 really great guys ready to play and I CANT WAIT!!!
Yeah man. Most leagues are like that. Very rare you can guys to actually committ.

# 9 bighurt27 @ 04/28/08 11:57 PM
GREAT IDEA!!!

# 10 KISSfreak @ 04/29/08 12:54 AM
I'd be interested in a long term dynasty...I'm also still playing 2008 and for me, it's the same every year...Play CFB and Madden until the new ones come out...But the priority is CFB all the way.

Go Sooners!

# 11 ODogg @ 04/29/08 07:22 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by KISSfreak
I'd be interested in a long term dynasty...I'm also still playing 2008 and for me, it's the same every year...Play CFB and Madden until the new ones come out...But the priority is CFB all the way.

Go Sooners!
KISSfreak - nice nick, i'm going to see Ace Frehley on Friday in Richmond.

Go Ace!

# 12 fistofrage @ 04/29/08 02:29 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ODogg
KISSfreak - nice nick, i'm going to see Ace Frehley on Friday in Richmond.

Go Ace!
Rock Soldiers!

# 13 trobinson97 @ 05/05/08 04:52 AM
Nice article. I have lost faith in EA, but damn do they have a great marketing team. I am tempted to make this a first day purchase, but no, I've learned my lesson. The online dynasty sounds very interesting, I'll wait a bit and see what general OS consensus is before I commit to anything though.

# 14 kneebon5 @ 05/05/08 08:25 AM
Im really looking foward to the dynasty online. Me and a few friends used to do this alot, but now we are grown up, and live on all different ends of town. It will be nice to start doing these again. Plus (i dont see why not) but if all of us can play our games at the same time, it could really speed the season up.

It would be really fun to do a 12 man dynasty if a big 12 one is out there i will be willing to be Baylor.

# 15 johnrushe @ 07/08/08 02:54 AM
who wants to be n my group

# 16 johnrushe @ 07/08/08 02:55 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by kneebon5
Im really looking foward to the dynasty online. Me and a few friends used to do this alot, but now we are grown up, and live on all different ends of town. It will be nice to start doing these again. Plus (i dont see why not) but if all of us can play our games at the same time, it could really speed the season up.

It would be really fun to do a 12 man dynasty if a big 12 one is out there i will be willing to be Baylor.
i want to be n ur group

# 17 johnrushe @ 07/08/08 03:02 AM
no not baylor

# 18 BoomerSooner11 @ 07/08/08 03:19 AM
Great article.

# 19 Skyboxer @ 07/08/08 07:48 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soonerd2
Solidice and I have been wondering about the slider situation.

Will we have to play on a default level, with no editable sliders?

Will there be one slider set for all players?

If so, will they be editable once the dynasty has started? (By the "commish"?)
Sliders can be customized as well as you can play at any difficulty level. The Commish sets this all up and all teams play with these settings.
Yes I believe the settings can be edited even after the season starts. (All done by Commish)

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.