Home
Feature Article
The Little Things That Go A Long Way

The little things are what make or break sports games. It's a safe assumption to label the OS community as a group of sim gamers who are looking for a sports title to resemble its real life counterpart as closely as possible. They scrutinize everything they see and hear within the game and measure it against what they witness in real life. There is one title that comes to mind when thinking of a sports game that has mastered the little things, and that title is MLB 08: The Show.

The cut scenes in The Show are extraordinary and should be the standard for all sports games. The way they've captured the emotion of the game to make it more enjoyable is exceptional. Sports gamers want to be immersed in competition and feel the emotions of the cyber athletes. Cut scenes in this realm range from smirks given by the players after nice plays, to throwing helmets against the dugout wall because a home run just got robbed. The overall experience of The Show is made complete with the incorporation of all the little things.

The Show
brings our cyber athletes to life through the use of these cut scenes. Hitters, who have no manners, blow snot rockets when coming up to the plate. Pitchers who are struggling show the emotion and nerves they are feeling with a big hitter coming up. Good plays in the field are expressed with celebration and errors throw players into depression. The accuracy of the correlation between what happened on the field and how the players react is phenomenal. The SCE San Diego production crew has gone above and beyond to put all this detail in the game and it truly pays off. It goes without saying that this game was manufactured by a group of people who truly understand and love the game of baseball.

The Show catches the emotion of this Manny HR perfectly

The excellence of the little things not only applies to what you see on the field, it can be said about what you hear around the ballpark. If you need to pause your game, you never know what you might hear. Recently I had to take a break for a moment and hit pause. After a couple minutes I heard the PA announcer proclaim, "Attention those seated behind home plate. If you are caught talking on your cell phone and waving at the camera you will be immediately subject to imprisonment of no less than 20 years." I had a good laugh, and after a couple more minutes I heard another great line from the PA announcer -- I won’t spoil it for you though.

The sounds from the commentary booth and the crowd also set this game apart from other titles. The announcers mention when a particular player gets a hit on their birthday; they mention all the important milestones; and they build the drama as a pitcher goes deep into a game with a no-hitter or perfect game. Everything they say transitions almost flawlessly and I have yet to hear the commentary get cut off. Fans also come into play in the audio department and will cheer/heckle players appropriately. Torii Hunter gets a warm welcome in Minnesota and the "Bleacher Creatures" at Yankee Stadium call out the starters.

MLB 08: The Show excels in creating the best representation of a baseball game I have ever seen. I have played baseball for a dozen years and seeing the little things incorporated in this game has me giddy every time I am about to power up the PS3. I am confident that fellow baseball fans feel the same way when they witness the intricacies of baseball nearly perfected in this game. It’s time for other sports games to take note of this classic and incorporate the ideas into their own titles. They will find that the little things go a long way.

Check out the Little Things thread on OS for more examples of SCEA's great work.

Member Comments
# 1 djcorrosive @ 05/09/08 06:03 PM
Greatest baseball game...ever. I've been playing since it's release, and I still see new things just about everytime I fire up the game. Can't wait to see what's in store for '09.

# 2 Reckoning @ 05/09/08 08:51 PM
This game is INCREDIBLE with cut scenes. I love the game.

# 3 statum71 @ 05/09/08 10:04 PM
Baseball is only my third or fourth favorite sport. But The Show is by FAR my favorite game to play and the most realistic sports game I've ever seen. Played hundreds of hours already and I'm still seeing new stuff!!!

# 4 DubTrey1 @ 05/10/08 04:21 AM
Hands down, The Show is "THE" definitive sports title that all others should review when developing their own. Finally, a developer that understands the sport it is trying to emulate in video game form.

# 5 Shadymamba @ 05/10/08 08:46 AM
from what i hear i wish i had a ps or something the show sounds great IM JEALOUS LOL!!!!!! damn you guys!!! ha ha ha ha

# 6 RAZRr1275 @ 05/10/08 09:36 AM
I love this game so much. I'm definately playing it until next season.

# 7 CMH @ 05/10/08 02:21 PM
I can not wait to get this game into my PS3 tray and discover for the first time what everyone is talking about every day.

It is things like this that make a game that much more enjoyable. I really wish we could see that sort of attention to detail in basketball and football games.

# 8 Doran @ 05/10/08 03:58 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by YankeePride
I can not wait to get this game into my PS3 tray and discover for the first time what everyone is talking about every day.

It is things like this that make a game that much more enjoyable. I really wish we could see that sort of attention to detail in basketball and football games.
Me as well. I've been counting the days until I get my paycheque for when I get the game. It's unbearable, sometimes!

# 9 EnigmaNemesis @ 05/11/08 04:14 PM
Went out and folded by purchasing a PS3 two weeks ago. And boy, I am glad I did. AMAZING game. I liked the The Show 06 for the PSP and PS2, but man this one is just phenomenal. Worth the investment.

Now for real time day and night time progression, etc in 09 ... and it will get better and better.

# 10 Rawdeal28 @ 05/12/08 04:29 AM
this game is the real deal. my first baseball game since MVP 05.

# 11 Pared @ 05/12/08 12:37 PM
The thing that makes this game so special is no matter who you are a fan, there is attention to detail of your team.

Every team is covered with the love that you'd expect from someone you talk sports with, not just a "video game programmer."

MLB Authenticity at its finest.

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.