Home
Feature Article
OS Roundtable - Missing Features Edition

On this week’s Operation Sports Roundtable, Operation Sports staffer discuss amongst themselves in closed door fashion what the biggest feature left out of Madden was by answering the question, “What was the most important feature left out of Madden NFL 09?”

Wil McCombs - Online franchise.While the inclusion of online leagues is a plus, the lack of an online franchise mode is highly disappointing, especially since Madden's collegiate counterpart is including Online Dynasty mode this year. While the apparent focus on improving the on-field Madden experience is definitely warranted, I think the absence of an online franchise mode will have Madden playing second fiddle to NCAA in 2008.

Dave Branda - The answer is online franchises. But in the interest of not sounding like everybody else, i'm going to say a playbook editor. Sure they'll have this in Head Coach 09, and sure you can import your playbook into Madden, but you shouldn't have to pay extra to get this feature in a game. The kicker here is a game released in early 1990s (Front Page Sports Football) had this feature and nailed it. Since then Madden hasn't come close to doing the same and its a shame.

Wil Soistman -
So I sat and thought about this for 20 minutes and I still could not come up with anything other than Online Franchise. The two games of NCAA and Madden are usually very close in design, but this one just makes me wonder. How can one of these two storied franchises include something so monumental, and yet the other one takes a small step towards it? Are people going to welcome it with open arms? Of course as it is something that has been wanted for a long time. Maybe Tiburon has found a way to make these leagues work extremely well too. Online leagues are a small (and much needed) step, but here's to looking to next year when we hopefully have a full-fledged franchise online.

Noah Weber - Well it's not exactly the biggest feature, but I've been waiting for them to redo the WR/DB interactions for a long time. I want to see more jump ball type animations where bigger wide-outs are going up over corners and taking the ball from them. The fade should be a viable option close to the goal line.

But yeah, online franchises is probably the big one...

Rob Fetter -
The biggest thing missing this year from Madden is the accelerated clock. Adding an accelerated clock gives the game a much more realistic feel, it allows teams like the Ravens or Bears to actually play a clock control game. Run the ball, control the clock and shorten the game to allow their defenses to dominate. Sure it'd be nice to have Online Franchise, but the accelerated clock would affect games both on & offline. The most disappointing part is the fact that they've had it in the past, and it doesn't seem like something that would be too difficult thing to put back in the game. Once again it looks like I'll be left hoping "maybe next year".

Matt Blumenthal -
Rob's right. Online franchises would have been nice, but it would have been a stretch for a one year implementation. Online leagues were the logical step this year. The accelerated clock was a staple of the Madden NFL series on the last generation of systems, and it puzzles me that it has yet to return. There doesn't seem to be a good reason as to why it's been absent for four years and counting. The accelerated clock allowed for ball control offenses to succeed realistically and gave teams a reason to wear down defenses. It was an important feature for realistic play on the last generation, and it needs to be back in the game next year.

Caley Roark - Well, I'd agree with the rest regarding online franchises, but, to be different, I'm still waiting for a game to add weekly highlight shows, a la NFL2k5. I thought that this feature gave a little more insight into the league that was taking place around me. It let us track hot players, offered insight into the draft, and announced big injuries. A similar, albeit not as effective, presentation was the Tony Bruno Show found in some versions of Madden. I know that Madden is upping the level of presentation, but if its only "in-game," they've missed a large part of what makes effective presentation just that.

Carlos Hernandez - Accelerated Clock.

It was in previous versions and seems to appear and randomly disappear every other year. Not sure why either. I can't understand how something like this is so difficult to add either.

I simply can not enjoy a football title that forces me to play 8 minute quarters to get realistic results. I like all of my games played with realistic minutes. This includes 20 minute NHL periods and 12 minute NBA quarters. I don't play only 6 innings of baseball so why should I be cut short of my football?

Accelerated Clock makes this possible while still getting me realistic stats at the end of the day.

But, accelerated clock can not be added without giving the sim gamer an option to have the CPU play sim instead of chucking up the ball with 15 seconds left on the play clock.

Your Thoughts?

So what about your thoughts? What was the biggest feature the Madden team missed out on putting in the game this year?

Madden NFL 09 Videos
Member Comments
# 1 thomasgentry @ 06/18/08 01:57 PM
put head coaches on the sideline and the ref and chain gang , down marks back on the field.

# 2 RGiles36 @ 06/18/08 02:06 PM
Accelerated Clock w/out a doubt. With the "85 new features & enhancements" being touted, it bewilders me that this was not included.

# 3 Skyboxer @ 06/18/08 06:53 PM
Online Franchise is my choice. Yeah the accelerated clock would also be right there on top but if I had to choose 1 it would be online franchise.

# 4 Village Idiot @ 06/18/08 07:00 PM
Quote:
The accelerated clock allowed for ball control offenses to succeed realistically and gave teams a reason to wear down defenses.
I'm all for an accelerated clock (at least I think so), but statements like this continue to confuse me. That is, in what way can't you play ball control or wear defenses down without an accelerated clock?

# 5 TheLetterZ @ 06/18/08 07:15 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Undefeated
I'm all for an accelerated clock (at least I think so), but statements like this continue to confuse me. That is, in what way can't you play ball control or wear defenses down without an accelerated clock?
Five minute quarters restrict the ability of an offense to succeed with long drives. Offenses can't keep the defense on the field for minutes on end. It doesn't allow for a realistic fatigue model.

# 6 The Lob Mob @ 06/18/08 09:45 PM
Here are 100 possibilities:

1. Delayed Blitz & the ability to assign them manually.

2. Chain gang.
3. Realistic momentum when running or jumping in the air (getting hit).
4. 3-4 man gang tackles. Like this: http://www.vimeo.com/clip:90875
5. Depth in it's online content.
6. First Person Football.
7. Custom TD celebrations.
8. An Actual chrowd. . . .
9. ESPN Halftime Show, Postgame, & Sportscenter With Chris Berman:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w9O6jKorLRo
10. Offseason Shows with Trey Wingo & Mel Kiper Jr. With in Depth analysis of
Draft Class, Retirement Announcements, & Free agent Player movement & news.
11. Cheerleaders (complete with the bouncing bussoms)
12. Team Specific Playbooks (Example: The Steelers have the play where Randle El threw to Hines Ward in the SuperBowl, this game was made before the SB)
13. Sideline interviews & updates with Suzie Colber
14. Player gets poked in the eye & broken nose.
15. Intuitive DB Play.
16. A Better, More Reactive 'Juke' Stick:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kTAFhphmTss
17. A 300+ Page Manual (inside the game) on how to play FOOTBALL. . .
18. 25th Anniversary mode.
19. Recognizable Player faces.
20. Almost 1000 catch animations.
21. Change audibles at the line.
22. Double team Randy Moss in the menu.
23. Double team Randy Moss on the fly.
24. Assign indian & delayed blitzes with ease.
25. 5 Audibles for every formation along with 2 minute drill plays, all to choose from at anytime.
26. QB Evade. . .wait, I think they have that now, but it probably won't be responsive if they do.
27. Intricate & various run blocking schemes that are truly effective, IE with pulling guards,strong center power,etc. & is also explained by the play art.
28. Humorous, entertaining, & informative commentary. . .(Dan & Peter)
29. Stadium specific sounds that occur when you make big plays.
30. Bubba Franks Doing the Lambeau Leap.
31. Ability to create Hybrid defenses
32. Ability to have a certain player play on both sides of the ball.
33. Plays that are assigned 3-5-7 step drops.
34. Complex, realistic NFL like schemes for your offensive line.
35. Will They Have Challenges this year, or will they take it away again. . .(you never know with these guys)
36. Real time pass interference & face mask calls.
37. Authentic arenas & the areas surrounding them too. . .
38. Pre-Game warm up analysis with stat overlays
39. Ability to block kicks with having to glitch to do it. . .
40. True ESPN integration.
41. Realistic time in the pocket. (Not every play feeling like a 3rd Down)
42. Ability to make plays on defense with Hit, Deflection, Or INT. . .(with DB)
43. Overthrown Balls & Bad Passes
44. Passes over the middle getting tipped around a lot. . .
45. Special teams players who block logically & realistically.
46. Weekly Prep in franchise mode & it's risk/reward system....
47. Pour the Gatorade on your coach when you win The NFC. . . .
48. Replays & stat overlays that are timely & realistic. . . .
49. Laterals.
50. The ability (as a WR) to wave to your QB when your open, while playing co-op. . .
51. Hell. . . .Co-op. . .LOL.
52. Trick Plays
53. Fans with signs, foam hands, & the jersey of the guy who just scored.
54. Balanced running game with the tap x for speed, hold x for the 'charge'.
55. Custom Soundtracks & stadium music. (Arranged to your liking)
56. Carmen Electra
57. The Crib
58. Coaches Have attributes (which affect your weekly prep results)
59. GameCast feature, where you can watch every play of the game in replay anytime during & after the game.
60. An Online Ranking system that doesn't reward 'cheesers'
61. Fatigue.
62. Wind (depending on time of year, & region) that affects kicks.
63. Players having conversations on the sideline (during cutscenes).
64. 'Route Running' attribute (as opposed to 'awareness').
65. VIP System. . .(in which the CPU scouts, & tries to exploit your weaknesses when playing against you ) I assume this is where they got that "Madden Gamer Level' concept (scoffs)
66. Players who plant, not skate. . .
67. Mouthpiece connected to the helmet.
68. Slide routes.
69. Realistic Line play. . . .Where the strengths & weakness of the OL & DL aren't exploited easily.
70. Running plays, besides dives & sweeps. (Madden even the counters feel like dives & sweeps)
71. Passing formations besides the 'shotgun' that are effective.
72. Infact 55% of the formations and plays are unique to a single team.
73. 5-2, 3-2, & 3-3 Defense. . .
74. Stretcher buggy comes out on the field to cart off injured players.
75. On screen charts to analyze offensive production.
76. Referees.
77. Dive out of bounds towards the endzone, while reaching the ball over the pile on.
78. Ball carrier can push defender away with off arm. . .
79. TRANSITION ANIMATIONS!!!
80. Brief description of opponents offensive package (personnel) before each play. . .
81. Shovel Pass.
82. Recognition of milestones, when they occur.
83. Players talking shhhh. ("I'm going to sack you like a bag of chips, Pennington")
84. Revolution Helmets.
85. 2 Commentators.
86. (In franchise mode) Look at the college players during season, so you can better assess your personnel needs.
87. Choose what you challenge. . .
88. Use the coach cam online. . .
89. Real Time Spin moves(instead of spinning 5-8 yards before the tackle)
90. Individual blitzing assignments for LBs
91. (when running the ball) Push off or run into your own (offensive) Lineman.
92. Players with helmets off (I haven't seen that in one screenshot, yet).
93. (superior) Onlne Leagues that you don't have to pay for.
94. In depth (in game) injury report. . .(Suzie Kolber talks to the coach)
95. More than 1 kind of spin move. . .
96. More degrees of pass velocity than 'bullet' & 'lob'.
97. An actual 'pocket'.
98. Choose you defensive line blitz scheme (before every play) & coverage separately.
99. Higher variety of 1 handed & sideline catches.
100. "YOU CAN'T COACH THAT!"

*were in the last Madden
*have been annonuced for Madden 09

The Original:
http://www.2ksports.com/forums/showthread.php?t=123327

# 7 Scott @ 06/18/08 09:54 PM
I won't go 100 deep but...

1. Accelerated Play clock
2. Chain gang
3. 3-4 player gang tackles
4. fumble pileups
5. running back stood up and whistle blows
6. more realistic injuries (don't tell us TO has a torn hamstring a minute after it happens)
7. DL/OL interaction
8. Better DB play
9. When importing drafts, take more players in.
10. Continue to tweak Draft AI
11. Draft Preview Show
12. Let the wind affect the ball
13. Players helmets coming off after big hits (Jason Whitten)
14. Coach Attributes
15. Real Assistant Coaches
16. Allow college coaches to move up from NCAA
17. Practice squad
18. Overthrown/underthrown passes
19. Bad snaps
20. Customizeable Cameras
21. Bring back Matchup system (Champ on Moss the entire game)
22. Refs
23. Super Bowl presentation
24. Individual helmets in the Pro Bowl
25. Weekly Show ala College Hoops 2K8

# 8 BlyGilmore @ 06/19/08 10:10 AM
The problem Undefeated with ball control and no accel. clock is you spend most of the game staring at the clock as it ticks down. It really sucks some of the fun out of the game and seriously limits the number of possessions a team has - which is kind of the point, I realize, but does it in a bad way.

In the NFL a 4 minute drive isn't all that uncommon, but now in Madden a 4 minute drive is sucking away half a quarter. If you keep that pace up teams are only getting around 4 possessions a half.

# 9 auburntigersfan @ 06/19/08 10:57 AM
I would have to agree with accelerated clock.

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.