Home
Feature Article
Open Letter to 2K Sports

Dear NBA 2K:

I simply felt the need to write to you and let my feelings be known. I cannot hide them any longer. I must tell you these things and I don’t care if the whole world finds out. I am falling in love with you.

I know what you must be thinking right now. You must be thinking that I’m crazy and deranged. Quite the contrary. I am full of excitement and joy. You see, you have brought out some feelings in me that were lost long ago -- the late '90s to be exact.

During this period of my life things seemed to be going perfectly. I had a beautiful Puerto Rican queen on my arm (even though she turned out to be crazy); I was in the best shape of my life; I was playing the game I love so dearly everyday and was on the verge of getting paid to do so. Ah yes, it was life at its simplest, my own piece of heaven. Then it happened.

What was that, you say? Another game that had shared my affection for so long began slacking on me. She became complacent and lazy. There was no effort put into her appearance at all. She had let herself go in the worst way. I stayed with her because there was no alternative. She had me caught in a perpetual trance for days on end. No matter how much beauty she lost I was right there by her side. Then you came along.

Things were just fine in my life until you showed up. Yes, you showed up in my life looking less than stunning. You came to me in a “dream” that was “cast” upon my soul. You were plain and ordinary looking but yet there was something about you. You had the “Answer” to my questions but you told me I would have to dig deep into my soul for them.

A couple of years went by and I was lost wandering in a forest of confusion. Yet, you showed up again by a box where X marked the spot. But it was too late. I used to be “aLive” but the magic and electricity was gone. My old flame was up to her usual tricks. She tried to entice me with music by adding a CD to her collection, but it didn’t work. My eyes were sunken. My heart was broken. The joy for a game and a sport that I once loved was now gone. But you were persistent while she continued to fail me.

We had a few dates, you and me, in the early days. But as I look back on them they were more like one-night stands. You chased me but I ran. You would corner me but I would find every excuse in the book to avoid getting next to you. Eventually, you had enough. You decided to make a change. Your looks changed. You added some new accessories. And then it happened: you, became you.

You were purchased at a steep price, but on the outside you appeared to be well worth it. You had some new partners to dance with, while doing "360s" all over the floor. No longer were you simply owned by a brand, you made your own brand. You became 2K fabulous. You had extra pep in your step. You were bringing back old memories of Run TMC. But I was skeptical. You looked great on the outside. The D and G was nice but it didn’t catch my eye the way you wanted it to, did it? No. But you didn’t give up.
"She always told me, 'If it’s in the game,' and I always believed her. But she was wrong."

I tried to blow you off again but this time you called my boys. You gave them the ol’ song and dance and they bought it. I’m sure you were scantily clad when you visited them but my friends deny it. They told me you were the best there was out there, on every level. Finally, I gave in.

There were still bottled up feelings of hatred, abuse, neglect, and disappointment within me when we met up again. But you made me feel at home shortly after we got back together. You soon became the apple of my eye and I was telling all my friends about you. Some of them kept saying, “I told you so!” Others still held on to that old flame that supposedly kept them feeling “aLive.”

Not me. I’m a believer. But now you want to continue to add things and I want you to remain as you are. I know there are some things that I would like to change about you, but not much. I would like ultimate control of all 30 aspects of your foundation. Each aspect of your foundation also has smaller parts to maintain. Can I control those too? Right now you only give me total control over 8 teams but I want more. Then again, it’s not perfect -- and neither is love.

I am also a little upset that your sister won’t be around much anymore. She added so much to our relationship, but not in a Jerry Springer-type of way. She complemented you. You will now forever be my love, but the complimentary “draft” was perfect for us, aside from some misleading pictures.

All in all, I’m happy I came back to you, this time for good. Yes, I know how love is but please don’t treat me like my previous fling. She always told me, “If it’s in the game,” and I always believed her. But she was wrong. You have provided the game within the parameters of this thing called love. Now please don’t go Miley’s dad on me because I just don’t think my heart would understand.

Yours truly,

Hopeless Fanatic

NBA 2K9 Videos
Member Comments
# 1 DC @ 07/01/08 11:49 AM
Quote:
I used to be “aLive”

# 2 BFS128 @ 07/01/08 01:52 PM
publish that!

# 3 Pared @ 07/01/08 02:01 PM
What in the...

If anything, I'd say Jeremy didn't truly have any "Drive" back in the day.

# 4 CFav @ 07/01/08 02:18 PM
You should sell this to some desperate on-line dating types and just have them replace some of the names...there might be a few children named after you in the next year or so....

# 5 ChubbyBanana @ 07/01/08 02:40 PM
Very well written. Can't Imagine how much time you spent on this. Good Job.

# 6 FUBLU @ 07/01/08 02:58 PM
I am soooo there with you bruh.
I was caught goin back and fourth several times because I still wanted to be "aLive" but,...... as B.B.King said it best, "The Thrill Is Gone" because everynight I gotta prove my luv to 2K!

# 7 ChicagoSparty @ 07/01/08 05:01 PM
Odd.

# 8 trobinson97 @ 07/01/08 05:09 PM
Ooookay......

# 9 BrianFifaFan @ 07/01/08 05:30 PM
That was great!

# 10 TVNation53 @ 07/01/08 05:39 PM
"Another game that had shared my affection for so long began slacking on me. She became complacent and lazy. There was no effort put into her appearance at all. She had let herself go in the worst way. I stayed with her because there was no alternative."

LMAO you made my boring day at work, Great article!!!

# 11 skinfan31 @ 07/01/08 06:37 PM
WOW! You put alot of thought into that.

I can digg it!

# 12 RaychelSnr @ 07/01/08 07:46 PM
So in reality...I think Jeremy might have some real problems mentally, but we will not hold that against him. Most unique article yet at OS? Possibly

# 13 amedawg00 @ 07/01/08 11:44 PM
wow...that was unique...2K8 is a mainstay in my 360. How, how can they possibly **** up 2K9; Hell, Ill even settle for a 2k8 port and roster updates as passing for 2k9. This game is crack!

# 14 jhartman01 @ 07/02/08 01:04 AM
Thanks for the love folks. I mean, it really is true though. How many people held on to Live and didn't give Sega/2K a chance with NBA 2K? I was turned off from basketball games for a long time because of the the lack of a better alternative but NBA 2K8 brought me back.

It is creative indeed but how else can a basketball lifer explain his love for the game itself as well as its virtual counterpart?

# 15 texbuk84 @ 07/02/08 04:49 AM
that was great. love 2k

# 16 Blacksillk @ 07/02/08 07:29 AM
Man I don't post much, but that was good man. I used to be “aLive”

# 17 ehh @ 07/02/08 08:45 AM
Funny article, I like the "I Used to Love H.E.R." influence.

# 18 bateman11 @ 07/02/08 09:11 AM
lol That was a good read.
I liked the college hoops part.

# 19 DTX3 @ 07/02/08 12:18 PM
....You sound like my ex girlfriend, and thats not a good thing.

# 20 ZephyrSong @ 07/02/08 01:46 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by deepen03
that was the gayest letter in history!!

you're going a little overboard there, its just a game, its not that serious
Lol this is gay. You're the one who's going overboard. Obviously he didn't really MEAN it that way, son.

« Previous12Next »

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.