Home
Feature Article
Up and Coming Programs in NCAA Football 09

College football is a sport built around big-time programs facing off against each other in colossal match-ups to determine conference or national championships. However, every few years there is a newcomer to the Hall of Greatness that tries to spoil the party with a great season of its own.

Past national champions who were not perennial powers include Clemson in 1981, BYU in 1984, Colorado and Georgia Tech in 1990, and Tennessee in 1998. Nowadays, it seems the giants have a firm grip on the top of the college football world.

But, some gamers will be looking to introduce some new blood into the hallowed halls of college football greats in NCAA Football 09. So to help gamers who are searching for schools to make into new powerhouses, I have compiled a list of five programs which could be turned into powerhouses in just one year. Check out this list and see if you agree!

5. BYU (Mountain West)

The pieces are all there for BYU to make an undefeated run this year and next. It's a talented team filled with experienced juniors and seniors, plus the team plays in a so-so conference. With your help, BYU could be a major power and win their first National Championship since 1984.

Max Hall is a key cog in your future plans with the Cougars.

Max Hall is the Cougars starting quarterback, boasting a high overall rating, and the best part is he's just a junior. The defense is also filled with juniors, meaning your defense could be really good in year two. And if you win enough games in year one, possibly even going undefeated, you could easily recruit a good freshmen class and the rest would be history. If you want an easy way to the top, then BYU is a solid choice.

4. South Florida (Big East)

Not so long ago, South Florida was a program that wasn't even playing football. The program is rooted in the deep recruiting grounds of Florida, which means stocking your depth chart with talent won't be all that hard. The other bonus is South Florida could be considered the second best program in Florida these days, which means you have a chance to land tons of great players.

The schedule in year one favors a ten or more win season if you come out of the gates swinging.

Year one could be rather interesting, with 15 starters returning for the Bulls. Quarterback Matt Grothe is the key cog in your program; and like Hall at BYU, he is a junior. The schedule in year one favors a ten or more win season if you come out of the gates swinging. The early game against Kansas will be tough for players who are still getting acquainted with the game, but it should be manageable. If you can keep winning, the talent should keep improving, giving the young program a chance at national prominence within a year or two.

3. Wisconsin (Big Ten)

Here is a fun little tidbit about the Badgers in 2008: The most experienced Big Ten bowl team from last year is not Ohio State, it is Wisconsin. Still, the Badgers have never won a National Championship and cannot be considered among the college football elite. As with all of the other teams on this list, Wisconsin is a good coach (namely you) away from becoming one of the all-time great powerhouses on the digital field.

The Badgers are returning 19 starters on both sides of the ball for 2008, but they are looking to get a new quarterback into the fold. If you can make the QB transition smooth while managing the road through the Big Ten, you would have a chance to turn Wisconsin into one of college football's elite within two years.

The big key for Wisconsin is to win big in year one, as you have a senior laden team which could turn year two into a bit of a transition year. The three game stretch of Michigan, Ohio State and Penn State will determine whether or not you turn the Badgers into a real contender in year one or not.

2. Clemson (ACC)

Clemson has tasted the victory of success among college football's elite. Most folks in South Carolina can probably tell you where they were when Danny Ford's Tigers beat Nebraska 22-15 in the 1982 Orange Bowl to win the National Championship. To bring that same type of joy to the Tiger faithful in your dynasty, you are going to have to capitalize on the abundance of talent at your disposal in year one.

The schedule sets up for a possible run at an undefeated season, with two swing games on the road at Wake Forest and at Florida State. The annual war with South Carolina is at home, which means you will have a real shot at finishing year one at 12-0. The toughest test you will probably face early on is against Alabama in your first game. It might be best to get a warm-up game in before facing the Crimson Tide, because you do not want to finish 11-1 with the only loss being that first game.

Look for the Tigers to make a run at an undefeated season this year under your guidance.

The team's talent is good, but all the skill positions (WR, RB and QB) are senior laden, meaning the team had better win big in year one. If you're able to pull off the undefeated season as the head coach of Clemson, it could set up a nice prolonged run at the top -- if things fall your way on the recruiting trail.

1. Missouri (Big XII)

A program like Missouri can usually count on a Cotton Bowl appearance and an 11-2 season being one of the best in school history. Instead, Missouri is a program that was oh-so-close to breaking through to the top last year. Ranked number one in the country and needing a win over Oklahoma to advance to the national championship game, the Tigers were plastered and had to settle for a Cotton Bowl appearance instead.

This year, your virtual Tigers will be loaded with all-world QB Chase Daniel, TE Chase Coffman and WR Jeremy Maclin all returning. With an improving defense, the Tigers have a real shot at winning it all in 2008. However, your journey through the schedule will be anything but easy. Your first game against Illinois will test your skills as a beginner to the game. Late season tests against Texas and Kansas as well as the Big XII Championship game will also be tough.

Jeremy Maclin will be a key cog in the Tiger attack again this year.

If you can win a conference crown as well as a national championship, you could easily lead the Tigers to a long period of successful seasons. The key will be replacing Daniel in year two, which obviously won't be easy to do.

Keys to Success

The difference between the Missouris, the Ohio States and the Oklahomas is the latter two simply plug in players and still see success while the former goes back to normalcy after players like Daniel leave. The key for you at these five schools will be to recruit well enough to plug in players to keep seeing success after your initial wave of good talent is gone. If you do not replace these key players, you will find it hard to meet the suddenly higher expectations of your digital fan base.

NCAA Football 09 Videos
Member Comments
# 21 tswells @ 07/07/08 07:33 PM
FYI, Chase Daniel should be fairly easy to replace in the game. There's a true freshman qb that comes in at 84 on the roster. I assume it's Blaine Gabbert, the #1 pro-style quarterback of the 08 class according to Rivals.

He should be around 87-88 by the time Daniel leaves.

# 22 babyfat9 @ 07/07/08 08:00 PM
The Canes of Miami will be up and coming. They had arguably the best Defensive recruiting class this year with Brown and Spence. Brown and Spence will bring memories of Vilma and Williams combo. Authur Brown will be ACC Freshman of the Year!!!!! DT Forsten will be a force at DT as well. Not to mention they are still very young on offense and defense. Next year there's no doubt they'll get Browns brother Bryce to add to their running back core. I see Miami playing alot of true freshmen and giving them needed experience...look out for Jacory Harris to be a player maker at Quarterback, something the Canes haven't had since Ken Dorsey left.

# 23 Freezer Boy @ 07/07/08 08:24 PM
Nice article. Good choices for some nice up and coming programs. I've really been enjoying reading what you've been posting so keep up the good work.

# 24 auburntigersfan @ 07/07/08 08:26 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiesto
The Canes of Miami will be up and coming. They had arguably the best Defensive recruiting class this year with Brown and Spence. Brown and Spence will bring memories of Vilma and Williams combo. Authur Brown will be ACC Freshman of the Year!!!!! DT Forsten will be a force at DT as well. Not to mention they are still very young on offense and defense. Next year there's no doubt they'll get Browns brother Bryce to add to their running back core. I see Miami playing alot of true freshmen and giving them needed experience...look out for Jacory Harris to be a player maker at Quarterback, something the Canes haven't had since Ken Dorsey left.
No way Miami wins 10-12 games out of the gate.

# 25 osubucksfan47 @ 07/07/08 08:35 PM
I think a sleeper is North Carolina. They may be a year or two away, but they've been having good recruiting classes and getting some quality young talent.

# 26 mudtiger @ 07/07/08 08:58 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by tswells
FYI, Chase Daniel should be fairly easy to replace in the game. There's a true freshman qb that comes in at 84 on the roster. I assume it's Blaine Gabbert, the #1 pro-style quarterback of the 08 class according to Rivals.

He should be around 87-88 by the time Daniel leaves.
Go Parkway West High School! That has to be Gabbert.

# 27 m00d @ 07/07/08 09:37 PM
Good article but can't believe they didn't mention Mississippi State!
Hey... A guy can dream can't he....

-

# 28 BtothejizA @ 07/07/08 11:08 PM
If you ask me all of these teams have already up and came.

# 29 texbuk84 @ 07/08/08 01:45 AM
great post. i would put connecticut on this list also. they are going to be huge this year in the Big East.

# 30 FutureVol @ 07/08/08 07:08 AM
umm good stuff...but i am confused as to how you cannot consider tennessee a powerhouse...during the 90's tennessee was one of the premiere programs in the nation..the only team consistantly better or equal to UT was flordia in the sec.. Tennessee was perenially ranked in the top 5 every year from 1992 to 2001..and despite the minor slip up in 2005 (which dosent exist..)...in the past 20 yrs UT has finish the season outside the top 20 3 times and top 25 twice.....and..add 3 SEC championship appearances since 2000 and u have a damn good program..i gar.un.tee that if u put any of those other teams in the SEC they would loose double the games they have lost over the past 2 seasons...at least...yes that includes USC....and dont EVEN get me started on Ohio State..LAWL they may have the MOst overrated program in the entire nation..not becasue there bad but because Espn sucks up to tressel and his "unbeatable sweater vest" more than a dust buster.. i think the SEC in general shut them up pretty good over the past 2 years..lol and ND..lol they havent won a NC since the Jeffersons were tryin to move on up..and last year...need i say more??..man Nebraska i will give ya..course noone was better than them in 1995-97..and if i recall correctly UT beat Mami in THEIR house in 03.. during their Hay day... i do remember kellen winslow b******* about it ALOT>>>..but yeah..and OKlahoma.....umm yeah your right they the best team in college...durng WW2 and in the 50's and 60's...we arent talkin bout teams that our great grandparents played on we are taling over the past 20 years or so..and i promise if you look up the most dominat teams and coaches over the past 20 years..Big Phil is up @ the top of that list....not bashing or saying ur opinion is wrong but..check up on ur teams and stats b4 making statements.....u cant have a full house of 109,000 and 107,000 avg. EVERY YEAR>> and not be a "powerhouse"

# 31 ukskarate @ 07/08/08 10:04 AM
What? Tennessee not a powerhouse? That is an uninformed statement.
Here's something to think about:
-More SEC Championship appearances than any SEC team over the last 10 years
-since '96, a nation's best 69 players selected in the NFL draft
-Fulmer's record 147-45; 5th fastest coach in ncaa history to 100 wins
-'94-'98 record 53-9- if that's not a perrenial powerhouse BEFORE winning it all then there is no such thing as a perrenial powerhouse

# 32 Sparty10 @ 07/08/08 10:24 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by piggypablo7
what about Michigan State? they seem like a decent team to start a dynasty with...
I think you will see State in that category next year, they are bringing in a top 10 recruiting class and with the addition of Keith Nicol from Oklahoma they should be in great shape.

# 33 miz468 @ 07/08/08 10:26 AM
If Tennessee is a perrenial powerhouse, then Auburn has to be considered one. And I haven't heard many people call either one a perennial powerhouse. Speaking of, could Auburn be on this list?

# 34 ukskarate @ 07/08/08 10:35 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by miz468
If Tennessee is a perrenial powerhouse, then Auburn has to be considered one. And I haven't heard many people call either one a perennial powerhouse. Speaking of, could Auburn be on this list?
Auburn isn't quite there yet. Tommy's record is only 80-33 at AU.

# 35 RaychelSnr @ 07/08/08 10:39 AM
I think people fudge the term powerhouse. Teams have 5-7 good years and suddenly think they are powerhouses. That is when you get teams like A&M and Arkansas firing coaches after 9 or 10 win seasons, a lot of teams have an over-inflated view of the value of their program. True Powerhouses have had success over multiple decades during the modern era of college football (last 60 years or so), which includes national championships over those years. You can have a really good program (Tenn, Auburn) that isn't a powerhouse and you can have a powerhouse (Alabama) that falls on hard times and becomes a really good program in the minds of recruits for awhile.

I'm rambling here, but it's something I'd love for EA to touch on in Dynasty mode.

# 36 Matt Diesel @ 07/08/08 11:01 AM
this article is a key cog in picking a good up and coming team in 09

# 37 ukskarate @ 07/08/08 11:15 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by MMChrisS
You can have a really good program (Tenn, Auburn) that isn't a powerhouse

Dynasty mode.
I thought that an all time winning percentage of nearly .700 (9th all-time), the second most number of bowl appearances all time, and 6 national championships made you a powerhouse. Say what you want, but you can't deny that is a solid argument.

# 38 LP @ 07/08/08 11:21 AM
No love for Kansas?

# 39 RaychelSnr @ 07/08/08 11:47 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ukskarate
I thought that an all time winning percentage of nearly .700 (9th all-time), the second most number of bowl appearances all time, and 6 national championships made you a powerhouse. Say what you want, but you can't deny that is a solid argument.
It is a solid argument...but I have one very big issue with it.

Who awarded those National Championships? From my best estimation, Tennessee claims every National Championship the NCAA recognizes (which includes polls largely which did not exist back then). If you use AP National Championships, Tennessee only has two, one of which was 57 years ago.

I guess my biggest problem is the NCAA's way of recognizing National Champions is a bit strange. If every school would use the same system I would have no beefs, but some only recognize AP/Coaches/BCS titles and others recognize the other dozen or so polls which the NCAA lists. The best example that is fresh on everyone's mind I can think of is the 2003 season.

The NCAA recognizes LSU, Oklahoma and USC as national champions that year. What if all three decided to put that up on their scoreboard, because it's official after all?

This really has nothing to do with the original topic at hand but it is an incredibly interesting discussion.

# 40 mercalnd @ 07/08/08 11:56 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by MMChrisS
I guess my biggest problem is the NCAA's way of recognizing National Champions is a bit strange.
The NCAA does not recognize a National Champion at all in FBS Football.

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.