Home
Feature Article
Madden NFL 09 RB Ratings Analysis
Usually, the guys at EA are in the right ballpark when it comes to rating players, yet every year there are some suspect ratings that drive people nuts. I will be taking a look at the running backs you’ll be handing off to in August. You’ll see which ratings are downright suspect and which runners you’ll get ready to exploit online.

Who Took Extra?

Marion Barber
Dallas Cowboys
Rating - 93

How did Marion Barber bump up his rating to a 93? Let me find out. Was it by rushing for a thousand yards? No. Was it for leading the Cowboys to the Super Bowl? No. So how did he do it? You could say it’s because he’s the leading back in Dallas and the guys at EA felt he showed enough in his short time in Dallas to become one of the NFL’s top rated players. Wait, you can’t do that either. Though Barber did not start any games for Dallas in 2007, he got 40 more carries than the “starter” Julius Jones. Barber will definitely up his stats in 2008, but he hasn’t shown enough in his first three seasons to warrant a 93 rating.

Michael Turner
Atlanta Falcons
Rating - 88

Michael Turner has only 1,257 career rushing yards. That statistic is skewed because he played behind LaDainian Tomlinson his whole career, but the point stills stands. Either way, Turner’s stint as Tomlinson’s backup was enough to earn him a fat contract from Atlanta. Michael Turner is always a home run threat on the football field but the world does not know if he can take the punishment that a starting NFL running back will receive.

Cedric Benson
Free Agent
Rating - 80

If you think an 80 rating is nothing to sneeze about in Madden 09, you are correct. Cedric Benson is still a special case. After being arrested for the second time in 6 weeks, the Bears waived him. Chicago will not weep in his absence though. Even if Benson was on the roster, he would have been behind at least Adrian Peterson on the depth chart. After wasting the fourth overall pick on him in 2005, the fans in the Windy City have moved on.

Some running backs took a bit extra in terms of their overall rating this year in Madden.

Who Got Hosed?

Brandon Jacobs
New York Giants
Rating - 87

One running back has 204 carries and 975 yards, the other has 202 carries and 1,009 yards. One is Marion Barber with a 93 rating and the other is Brandon Jacobs with an 87 overall rating. Their stats are very similar across the board; the only major difference is in touchdowns (Jacobs had just 4 TDs). That can be attributed to New York having two other running backs capable of punching it in at the goal line. Jacobs still can score though. He did have 9 touchdowns in 2006 when he was the Giants third down back. With a Super Bowl under his belt and an offseason of rest and conditioning, he’ll be back in 2008 to bowl over anybody who gets in his way.

Ryan Grant
Green Bay Packers
Rating - 86

Ryan Grant of Notre Dame fame went undrafted following his senior year -- he spent the entire 2005 season on the Giants practice squad. He missed 2006 with an injury and was traded before the 2007 regular season for a future sixth round pick. Injuries depleted Green Bay’s running back core and Grant emerged as Brett Favre’s favorite weapon. He managed 5.1 yards a carry and 8 touchdowns in essentially his rookie year. With Brett Favre retired at the moment, the Packers will rely on him even more and he should have an even better 2008 season.

LenDale White
Tennessee Titans
Rating - 82

The former Trojan rushed for 1,110 yards, good for 12th in the league. He also had 7 touchdowns, five 100 yard games, and 57 rushing first downs. So how did the 23 year old get an 82 rating? I’m not sure. The only people with a lower rating are either platoon players or certain rookies. White is still the starter in Tennessee but hopefully the guys at EA notice this year.

Ricky Williams
Miami Dolphins
Rating - 80

Marijuana, retirement and wedding dresses aside, Ricky Williams is still a solid NFL running back. He missed the 2006 season with a drug-induced retirement but came back to Miami in 2007. He managed only six carries after tearing the pectoral muscle in his right shoulder. All reports say he should be ready for the upcoming season and will be Ronnie Brown’s primary backup. An 80 rating should be nothing for the former 1,800 yard rusher. Williams knows that if his NFL opponents forget he’s on the field, he’ll smoke them.

Do you run well on grass like Ricky Williams? Is LenDale White the only Trojan you need? Have you gone sailing with Cedric Benson lately? Be sure to let me know what you think!

Madden NFL 09 Videos
Member Comments
# 1 callmetaternuts @ 07/08/08 11:50 AM
Wow, interesting. I agree Barber is a bit high, but has potential. I cant say i disagree with Benson (he is a turd, but high 70's seems right). Ricky Williams, you jsut cant say anything about him until we see him.

# 2 Nza @ 07/08/08 01:00 PM
I suspect White's low rating is mostly to do with his style. He could use more awareness for sure, but power backs will always be disadvantaged in the OVR category. Without speed, acc, agi etc you can only be rated so highly.

# 3 Harlemal @ 07/08/08 01:17 PM
They robed Jacobs and grant. But to tell u the truth speed and power are the most important imo.

# 4 ChaseB @ 07/08/08 01:18 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by MelR2000
Dallas Haters make me laugh...
Cowboys Defense Force unite!

# 5 tracyllrkn @ 07/08/08 02:50 PM
Adrian Peterson should be on the list.

# 6 RaychelSnr @ 07/08/08 03:40 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by tracyllrkn
Adrian Peterson should be on the list.
I guess I will go against the grain and say that if Peterson stays healthy, he is one of the premiere backs in the game and should be rated as such. I can see the argument for keeping his rating a bit lower than what it is now, but I think the argument for why it should be where it is...that's a pretty convincing argument as well IMO.

# 7 Sigma4Life @ 07/08/08 03:56 PM
Adrian Peterson might have broken the single season rushing record if not for his injury. I don't see how anyone can complain about his ratings. He had one of the most amazing seasons in the history of the NFL.

# 8 ronnyballgame @ 07/08/08 04:41 PM
The RBs who warrant the highest ratings are Tomlinson, Westbrook and Peterson. I am a Cowboys fans, die hard, but I will admit, Westbrook is the 2nd best back in the game. Hands down.

# 9 ralphsundin @ 07/08/08 06:32 PM
I really miss the days when there were some varying ratings in Madden. Go pop in Madden 2004 (i think this was the last one to have it right). Serviceable players are in the 70s, good players 80s and you had to be something special to be in the 90s. Along came Madden 2005 and all of the sudden players with a rating of 80 are pretty much the worst starters on your team. A guy with a rating of 75...no chance he sees the field.

# 10 Ceothachosen1 @ 07/08/08 10:07 PM
barber is rated higher then clinton portis which is a complete joke call me when he carries a whole offense on his back

# 11 Sigma4Life @ 07/08/08 10:42 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceothachosen1
barber is rated higher then clinton portis which is a complete joke call me when he carries a whole offense on his back
LOL, call me when Portis does the same.

# 12 LosWorld @ 07/08/08 11:15 PM
Granted, there are always too many highly rated players in Madden. But at this point Barber is a top 5 back in the NFL. Don't take that as a huge deal, as that list changes each and every year with the exception of Tomlinson. I'm sure 3 years ago we would have all liked Alexander on our team. Hell, even Larry Johnson makes you feel iffy after last season. Nature of the position.

# 13 cdronm @ 07/08/08 11:24 PM
THANK YOU, THANK YOU, THANK YOU... for pointed out how B. Jacobs got the shaft. #3 in the NFL in rushing yards per/game last season, also had the 3rd best average per carry among rusher with over 1,000 yards last season. That's not worth at least a 91 or so???

# 14 cdronm @ 07/08/08 11:25 PM
... "for pointing out". (LOL) My bad...

# 15 jontabs @ 07/08/08 11:45 PM
Yeah, biggest problem for me would be LenDale White.

82 for a starter? From a pre-dominantly running team? The stats speak for itself. Whether or not its his style, lack of sped or what not, the fact is, he should be given the rating of a starting NFL running back, and one whose team depends on greatly.

And he gets shafted by LT'S backup who hasn't done anything the past 4 years, and is going to run behind one of the worst lines in football? True he showed some flashes with one or two carries, but what does that prove? That EA can make up for Vick leaving by giving him an 88?

Barber I'd give a 90-91 but I can see why they give him a 93.

Thing is, you give barber a 93, bump up Jacobs to at least 91. Just my opinion

# 16 texbuk84 @ 07/09/08 12:41 AM
Mr. Barber doesnt deserve to be a 93 first of all because he is a cowgirl and secound of all he is overated. Brandon won the Super Bowl and was a great back all year with more touches and yards and his rating is lower than barbers. the people who put the rating's in must be cowboy fans.lol

# 17 texbuk84 @ 07/09/08 12:43 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceothachosen1
exactly portis is better than barber but rated lower. please explain to me the rating system in this game.

# 18 Chavez21 @ 07/09/08 07:32 AM
Compared to Marion Barber's 93 rating, Brandon Jacobs warrants at least a 91. Barber has done less.

# 19 bengleu22 @ 07/09/08 09:06 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by jontabs
Yeah, biggest problem for me would be LenDale White.

82 for a starter? From a pre-dominantly running team? The stats speak for itself. Whether or not its his style, lack of sped or what not, the fact is, he should be given the rating of a starting NFL running back, and one whose team depends on greatly.

And he gets shafted by LT'S backup who hasn't done anything the past 4 years, and is going to run behind one of the worst lines in football? True he showed some flashes with one or two carries, but what does that prove? That EA can make up for Vick leaving by giving him an 88?

Barber I'd give a 90-91 but I can see why they give him a 93.

Thing is, you give barber a 93, bump up Jacobs to at least 91. Just my opinion
white is fat and slow. good for 3 yards up the middle. i thought they made him too fast as it is. he already has the speed of some corners and wr's, which is a joke. do you want white running sweeps? he doesn't do that because he can't, so why should his rating be higher? he's a one trick chubby pony.

i like the idea someone else brought up of average players being in the 70's, good players in the 80's and superstars in the 90's. Neither Barber or Jacobs fall into the "superstar" category because neither of them have ever been a feature back. Barber still won't be with Felix Jones joining the Cowboys.

screw it, let's just make everyone 95+ that way nobody's offended.

# 20 DC @ 07/09/08 09:14 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ralphsundin
I really miss the days when there were some varying ratings in Madden. Go pop in Madden 2004 (i think this was the last one to have it right). Serviceable players are in the 70s, good players 80s and you had to be something special to be in the 90s. Along came Madden 2005 and all of the sudden players with a rating of 80 are pretty much the worst starters on your team. A guy with a rating of 75...no chance he sees the field.
That sports games in general. EVERYONE is overrated in every game.
Especially the superstars.

« Previous12Next »

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.