Home
Feature Article
Top Ten Places to Play in MLB: The Show

While all sports have their hallowed grounds, it's this writer's opinion that none come close to matching baseball's in beauty, scope or originality. Perhaps it's the ingrained sense of history, or the elegant symmetry that's required by rule. It could also be because baseball is one of the few sports where the design of the stadium actually changes the playing area, allowing for a unique experience in each venue.

Regardless of the reasons for baseball stadium superiority, no game has captured the look and feel of being at the ballpark like MLB 08: The Show. High-definition graphics and modern processing power have allowed this title to shine when it comes to reproducing the intricate details and overall atmosphere of today's baseball stadiums. While hardcore fans and real-life visitors may find a few inaccuracies, these virtual reproductions stand among the most visually striking constructs of any current games. Here's a brief rundown of the best stadiums to look at and play in while enjoying MLB 08: The Show.

Chase Field (Arizona): When future historians study 21st century American culture, there will no doubt be comparisons to ancient Rome -- especially when looking at this stadium. It's a literal Colosseum, with its towering outfield walls, bright signs, and technological wonders. When playing here in The Show, you quickly get a feel for its structural size. The daytime shadows and homers landing in the pool add to its uniqueness.

PNC Park (Pittsburgh): The skyline sets this park apart from the other "modern-retro" designed stadiums. It's especially nice at night.

Minute Maid Park (Houston): Perhaps one of the most unique venues in all of sports, it features classic architecture combined with modern innovations like a retractable roof. The old train station wall, the train itself, and Tal's Hill make it a joy to virtually play here in The Show.

Wrigley Field (Chicago): There's something about playing here during the day that just epitomizes "baseball." The classic scoreboard, roof-top bleachers, and ivy are part of baseball lore, and are faithfully reproduced here.

Fenway Park (Boston): While I'm not a part of Red Sox Nation, I love playing here. The Green Monster is beautiful and intimidating all at once. The strange dimensions can be frustrating when in the field and a savior while at the plate. Like Wrigley Field, the historical aspects of this yard are translated well in the virtual form, with "vintage" ads and the worn look of the green wood.

Yankee Stadium, All-Star Edition (New York): From the fly-in on the monuments to the All-Star banners to the flags circling the outfield, virtually playing at this stadium is a treat. And unless we get "classic parks" DLC in the future, it might be the last chance to play in the house that Ruth built.

Citizen's Bank Park (Philadelphia): A great scoreboard in left, strange wall dimensions in center, and the Liberty Bell in right make this a fun park all around.

Miller Park (Milwaukee): Similar to Chase Field, this park just looks immense. SCE did a great job getting the reflection on the outfield windows to be just subtle enough to still be noticeable. Plus, you can't forget about Bernie Brewer and his slide.

Blue River Stadium (Minor League Park): With a tower skyline, illuminated bridge, lighthouse and timbered architecture, this park, although imaginary, is a wonder to behold. If you want to see something like it in real life, check out Cambell's Field in Camden, NJ.

Red Rocks Stadium (Minor League Park): The stadium itself is not much to look at, but it's hard to not be impressed when batting. You are essentially staring at giant Monument Valley-like rocks that are not only huge, but look amazing. Those farther away are even slightly hazy.

Also worth mentioning: Camden Yards (Baltimore), PETCO Park (San Diego), AT&T Park (San Francisco), SAFECO Field (Seattle), and Nationals Park (Washington, DC)

While MLB 08: The Show plays a superior game of baseball, its recreations of these stadiums truly set it apart from its competitors and provide some of the best visuals in sports gaming today.

Member Comments
# 1 RAZRr1275 @ 07/10/08 02:26 PM
good article

# 2 hokupguy @ 07/10/08 02:52 PM
maybe post some pic of these park for the folks that dont have the show can see?

# 3 Computalover @ 07/10/08 04:32 PM
you should see camden yards now with its big friggin HD scoreboard and right field wall scoreboard. friggin amazing.. just put in this year.. so its not in the game.. (but they started to install it last year.. maybe it will be in there next year...)

# 4 spit_bubble @ 07/10/08 05:45 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by RAZRr1275
good article
If by good you mean pointless, then yes.

Seriously, give us some pics for cryin' out loud. If you're going to try to pass off ads like this as articles, at least do it right.

# 5 CS10029 @ 07/10/08 06:31 PM
Nice job.

# 6 RAZRr1275 @ 07/10/08 08:24 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by koshi

Seriously, give us some pics for cryin' out loud. If you're going to try to pass off ads like this as articles, at least do it right.
I have the game so I've seen all of this so I actually mean good article. I can't post screenshots as I don't have a capture device but if I did I would post some for you.

# 7 Revolution42 @ 07/11/08 12:00 AM
Thats a good read....thanks for sharing.

# 8 scooteristkai @ 07/11/08 03:22 AM
Good thing that I started a DīBacks Franchise yesterday. Love it.

# 9 texbuk84 @ 07/11/08 08:56 AM
great write up. i also like to play in tampa, the atmosphere is amazing.

# 10 Shinyhubcaps @ 07/12/08 12:33 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by koshi

I don't know why people think OS advertises for this game. It really is a fantastic game, and anyone with the appreciation for all of the clean, new things it brings to the table, it's easy to see why. This is the only game to date that I had no intention of ever playing, then played the demo, and then bought the full version on the date of release.

Now you have to do the worst stadia in the game. I wonder where the MetroDome ranks...

# 11 CPRoark @ 07/12/08 12:41 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shinyhubcaps
I don't know why people think OS advertises for this game. It really is a fantastic game, and anyone with the appreciation for all of the clean, new things it brings to the table, it's easy to see why. This is the only game to date that I had no intention of ever playing, then played the demo, and then bought the full version on the date of release.

Now you have to do the worst stadia in the game. I wonder where the MetroDome ranks...
Shinyhubcaps,

Thanks for the comments. I assure everyone, I'm not on the take from Sony. For me, MLB 08 is one of the best gaming experiences I've had in a long time. It sold me the system (there's another article about that.). I'm just getting the word out about how good this game is...it's no different that bragging about your new car or new tv, etc.

Sorry for no picture...just wasn't time.

And for worst stadiums...Skydome (Rodgers Centre...) looks terrible in this game. I was there about 15 years ago and remember it being very "shiny." I wonder if the game is accurate.

# 12 hokupguy @ 07/12/08 08:21 AM
well can you post some pics now or in the near future?

# 13 deadlyCane @ 07/13/08 03:47 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by CPRoark

And for worst stadiums...Skydome (Rodgers Centre...) looks terrible in this game. I was there about 15 years ago and remember it being very "shiny." I wonder if the game is accurate.
I have to disagree here. but maybe I'm just a biased Blue Jay fan. Having said that, I don't like what Rogers has done with all the advertising in the stadium.

I'm only in the first month of my Blue Jays franchise so I haven't seen a lot of the stadiums. So far the worst I've seen is Tropicana field. I've been there is real life and it's just as bad in the game as in real life. I realize some may disagree with me on that one. Once again, it might be my bias from being there in person.

I've seen PNC in the game. That park along with Yankee Stadium and Camden Yards are my favorites in the game so far. Fenway looks good in the game as well. I actually like it better in the game than in real life.

The ballpark in Arlington doesn't look as good in the game as I've seen on TV. Royals Stadium (Kaufman Stadium or whatever it's called) was one of my favorites growing up. It doesn't look as good in the game. Still like the waterfalls though. I also like how when you go to cut screen of the bullpen or when they zoom in on the outfielders you hear the waterfalls in the background. Nice touch. Can't wait to visit Wrigley, Chase, and SAFECO. I also can't wait to visit the miserable Metrodome.

Oh yeah, the original article was good.

# 14 frago @ 07/13/08 08:54 PM
Good job but I don't agree with Arizona, Milwaukee and Houston. Would instead replace with St Louis , Anaheim and Seattle.

# 15 alcoholicstepfather @ 08/20/08 01:34 AM
I'm just three games from finishing my first franchise season and I really like to play at Citizens Bank Park in Philly. It seems that the ball flys out of there, just like in real life. I also hit my firt inside-the-park home run there. They actually credited me with a home run, I was very surprised by that. I still have three games in Houston, so that might become my favorite, but for now I really like Philly's stadium.

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.