Home
Feature Article
Summer Storms: The NCAA Release Story

Summer is usually a time for relaxation in the sports world. Summer lacks any real dramatic sports news. At most, all you can hope for is some kind of off-the-field NFL scandal or hot topic -- and this year has not let us down, thank you Brett Favre and the Packers organization. Still if you love sports -- and since you are here you most likely do -- and play sports video games, you know that summer means a new beginning for the next season’s titles.

With the recent hype surrounding the resurgence of EA Sports and Tiburon’s football titles there was no doubt the forums of MaddenMania and Operation Sports would be popping come release time for NCAA Football 09. This is usually the case every release, but recent lackluster products have left people skeptical. Add in the fact that fans seem to hold the football monopolizing Electronic Arts to a higher standard when it comes to the hopes of what will be in a football game, and you never really know what to expect.

A wide array of emotions have engulfed forum members, leaving some looking for answers and pushing panic buttons already -- not even one week after release of the game.

Well if you happened to venture anywhere near the forums in the past few weeks you would have been in for quite the soap opera. A wide array of emotions have engulfed forum members, leaving some looking for answers and pushing panic buttons already -- not even one week after release of the game.

The onslaught started shortly before the public release, as it usually does. I have been around these boards for about eight releases now, and this part is like clockwork. The air is chock-full of angst as people pray to find a place that will sell a copy a few days early, making the F5 button work overtime on all the threads that may have the inside scoop on where your best bets are.

Then you have the lucky few that manage to land the game, and either get tarred and feathered or treated like heroes. In a rare change-up this year I did not see anyone attempt the old-lying-about-having-the-game-early trick. Sure there were plenty of skeptics that wanted photo, video and government certification providing proof that a person obtained the game, but not one really lied.

When someone does find the game the rest of us need to hear impressions from them of course -- even though this year we had several community leaders telling us all about the game from their experiences, not to mention a guy or two with a beta copy taking all the media you can handle. (Thank you Steve). Still it seems to be Average Joe that forum goers hold in highest regard when it comes to unbiased information.

Still when the forums got wind of some game issues via the few that had landed a copy of the retail game, all bets were off.

And the great part about all of this pre-release angst deals with something you learn in the first week of a college marketing class: bad news travels faster than good news. This is really what highlights this year’s NCAA Football 09 release.

Word was already out there that several issues, perhaps ranging from minor to game destroying depending on what's important to the gamer, were in this year's version of the game. This info had come from community days, and the month’s time we all were able to spend playing the early demo. Still when the forums got wind of some game issues via the few that had landed a copy of the retail game, all bets were off.

Over the next few days, and those leading up to the actual release day, if you visited the forums you may have heard the sky was falling, down was up, and Atlantis had risen. This tends to happen every year, but seemed particularly outrageous this release.

It shouldn’t come as a surprise though, reactions like these tend to happen when you mostly focus on the negatives.

Perhaps just another college learned lesson was rearing its head: the fact that people who dislike something are more vocal than people who actually care about it. Because if you were on the boards during all the impressions, or should I say complaints, then it became a little trying. Several die hards proclaimed the game was busted and that they wouldn’t be purchasing this year -- mind you this was still before the game was even officially released. Glitch after glitch began to surface, and as more and more people received their games, the question was how could this be going bad again after things looked so bright and promising?

It shouldn’t come as a surprise though, reactions like these tend to happen when you mostly focus on the negatives. And with the masses getting the product and reporting on just the bad functions, overlooking any possibility of fun or happiness with the game, the forums became a bit of a downer to read.

But then just as quickly, a strange silence fell over the boards on July 15. This of course would come as a result of release day. Like the eye of the hurricane, it was the middle of a crazy week and the boards were dormant for the most part in regards to new posts. Thousands of people were online, but only a few were even posting. Why? Because everyone was playing the game of course.

After the eye of the storm passed, the other problem became abundantly clear: the evil roster glitch. And if you want to see panic, then look no further than a bunch of guys that are without real-life named rosters during NCAA release week.

Something that is free and provided by ordinary people has become the biggest part of the game to many, and when it was found that the game would freeze, and created names would not work properly, well that is when things really hit the fan. The online community mourned as it appeared they would have to wait longer before they could play their beloved game, even though they technically had the prize in their hands.

But as the week went on and as the dust started to settle, people spent a little more time playing the game. Now reports of people actually having fun with the game are starting to pop up, and threads of gamers posting their best experiences and great games are prevalent. Work is being done to help each other overcome the problems, and slider and music customization help is a hot topic. This game may just have hope yet. Still it has been an eventful week or two in the online community with forums everywhere taking some twists and turns to say the least.

So with the cleanup after the storm taking place now, does normalcy peek out from behind the storm clouds? Only time will tell. But with big brother Madden’s release just a few short weeks away, I know we'll have to gear up to go through it all again, because after all, it is release season!

NCAA Football 09 Videos
Member Comments
# 21 Pared @ 07/24/08 06:39 PM
Damn...

I've always tried to fight to about the objectivity of OS... but goodness man, that article shouldn't have been published.

It almost makes it seem like the article was written ahead of time and planned to be released before the issues were even discovered.

I look back and the NCAA series has always been heralded here at OS. NCAA 2004... 2005... I look at those games and don't recall them having all these issues... sure, they weren't perfect, but did almost all of the major new additions have problems, as well as the gameplay?

An article like this just makes me feel like whomever is writing them are either out of the loop or have a particular slant.

You can say you're enjoying the game; You can say there are many who are upset about issues with the game (that are facts)... but to make it seem like those who mention problems with the game are just complaining to complain... as if they can never be pleased?

Wow.

# 22 GoVols1985 @ 07/24/08 06:41 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabin
Problem is to bring in this wide open gameplay the defence basically had their balls chopped off.

The people that dislike the game cant convince people that enjoy the game to hate it, but anyone that wants a realistic defensive game has NO chance that right now. Sure you can have the odd defensive game, but eventually the CPU QB is going to go off on you and their is no way to counter it realistically.
Yeah, I get what you're saying, and it does suck that you guys can't play the kind of game you like to play. I just wish that when I say I am enjoying the game, realistic or not, somebody wouldn't immdiately say something like "well you obviously don't know anything about football" and "you should go play NFL Blitz then." you see what I'm saying? Just because I want something differant from a video game than other people, it's like I don't love football as much as them.

# 23 ChaseB @ 07/24/08 06:43 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cebby
I think it's just the overall thought that we as a base would go out, spend a week looking for the game, drop $60-80 only to complain about the game.

Go to the NBA 2k board and try and find me complaining. Go to the CH2k board and look for some of AA's posts. Go look at the 06 and 2004 threads on this board. The few people may be vocal on this board, but it's the same people who have been vocal that 2004, 06, NBA/CH 2k8, and NFL 2k5 were some of the best sports games ever.

The tone of the last few paragraphs that people were focusing only on the negatives and a general message of "stop complaining and have fun". If anything, now that we have EA people on the board, we should make sure they know that we are unsatisfied with broken features and things that should not happen in a football game. Personally, going 23/27 passing, averaging 40 yards on punt returns, and giving up 18 rushing yards a game because the AI is content to run QB choices/reads almost exclusively is not that fun to me. I'm not sure it's a petty negative complaint that the AI doesn't know that the sideline can stop a runner or that 60 speed quarterback probably shouldn't get 18 carries in a game. The forums became a downer, not because the people were negative nancies, but because EA released a bad game. The last few paragraphs seem to blame the forum users for EA's mistakes.
OK, fair enough. I still don't think the final message is stop complaining and have fun. One of his points is that people tend to talk about negatives more than positives though, which I mean I think is fair, it tends to be easier to articulate negatives than positives as well.

# 24 AuburnAlumni @ 07/24/08 06:44 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChaseB
I didn't write it, just edited it for grammar and all that. Sorry if that wasn't clear.

If you feel you guys are being misrepresented by the writers that's totally alright to say though, that's why I'm talking with you guys right now -- I'm trying to find out what's up.

The article is more about business as usual in a sense just because he's speaking in a general sense at the beginning about how football releases tend to go every year. Since I've been apart of a few of these releases when I was more into football I do tend to agree with how the release window breaks down.
What's up is that article is basically a propaganda piece.

What "Sun" do you see? Not a single patch has even been released yet, which is why my Online League is still in a holding pattern due to freezing rosters, hijacked dynasties, and glitchy Stadium Sounds.

That's not even concerning the mental midgets on defense and the 95+ speed players who have jet packs on their backs.

There isn't a "small faction" that's unhappy right now. If I made a post saying "If you are unhappy with NCAA pre patch, post here"...I guarantee you it would be at 10 pages within 2 days.

And as I've stated repeatedly, I respect the opinions of guys like Abner and Rhombic, etc. Heck, some of my posts have been NICE compared to what Rhombic and Bill Harris have posted...and what they posted was true.

In other words...the article is wrong.

# 25 queens211 @ 07/24/08 06:45 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by MMChrisS
It has now been well over a week since NCAA Football 09 was released and we have seen just about every reaction possible about EA Sports newest game. Our very own Patrick Williams was in the middle of the release frenzy and checks in today with an article discussing his thoughts on how the releases reaction was received among the community in his latest article, Summer Storms: The NCAA Release Story.
This has to be one of the most pointless articles ever. What is this? A summer book report for extra credit?

# 26 ChaseB @ 07/24/08 06:48 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pared
Damn...

I've always tried to fight to about the objectivity of OS... but goodness man, that article shouldn't have been published.

It almost makes it seem like the article was written ahead of time and planned to be released before the issues were even discovered.

I look back and the NCAA series has always been heralded here at OS. NCAA 2004... 2005... I look at those games and don't recall them having all these issues... sure, they weren't perfect, but did almost all of the major new additions have problems, as well as the gameplay?

An article like this just makes me feel like whomever is writing them are either out of the loop or have a particular slant.

You can say you're enjoying the game; You can say there are many who are upset about issues with the game (that are facts)... but to make it seem like those who mention problems with the game are just complaining to complain... as if they can never be pleased?

Wow.
It was written a few days ago, then held to be re-written a bit to talk more about the forums than the game -- because that was the original idea of the story. I think maybe it's also important to point out that Patrick probably brought in the MaddenMania impressions and feelings into his thoughts in this article as well.

I think if your thoughts are more the consensus moving forward then we'll make sure to have someone edit the article that is a little closer to the forums than I could be during the last few weeks when I was busy. That way the person who edits the article can check for tone and make sure that it fits the general community.

# 27 AuburnAlumni @ 07/24/08 06:48 PM
Quote:
OK, fair enough. I still don't think the final message is stop complaining and have fun. One of his points is that people tend to talk about negatives more than positives though, which I mean I think is fair, it tends to be easier to articulate negatives than positives as well.
Honestly Chase, the negatives outweigh the positives RIGHT NOW .

I say "right now" because the ball is in EA's court to change that.

Every major feature is broken right now. That's undeniable.

There are issues on defense as well. That's undeniable.

Dynasty Schedules are broken. They go in reverse. That's undeniable.

Dynasty Stats are severely messed up. That's undeniable.

On a positive note...I love the running game. I love the smooth control online. I love the Stadium Sounds (even though they are causing issues for people pre patch) because it allows me to create the ultimate stadium atmosphere.

But the scoreboard in the game of Postive vs Negative is Negative in a blowout right now. Again I stress....RIGHT NOW.

We'll see if that changes by September.

# 28 ChaseB @ 07/24/08 06:56 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by AuburnAlumni
What's up is that article is basically a propaganda piece.

What "Sun" do you see? Not a single patch has even been released yet, which is why my Online League is still in a holding pattern due to freezing rosters, hijacked dynasties, and glitchy Stadium Sounds.

That's not even concerning the mental midgets on defense and the 95+ speed players who have jet packs on their backs.

There isn't a "small faction" that's unhappy right now. If I made a post saying "If you are unhappy with NCAA pre patch, post here"...I guarantee you it would be at 10 pages within 2 days.

And as I've stated repeatedly, I respect the opinions of guys like Abner and Rhombic, etc. Heck, some of my posts have been NICE compared to what Rhombic and Bill Harris have posted...and what they posted was true.

In other words...the article is wrong.
"Over the next few days, and those leading up to the actual release day, if you visited the forums you may have heard the sky was falling, down was up, and Atlantis had risen. This tends to happen every year, but seemed particularly outrageous this release."

I don't think he ever says the "sun" is showing now or anything, it's left as a question as well.

I still don't follow the propaganda angle though just because it doesn't say the game is good or bad because that's not really the point.

But do you think the article is wrong because it doesn't say enough about the outrage? I think a good amount of the article is about outrage (he mentions rosters as one of the main ones.) He doesn't talk about all the issues in-depth because once again it's about the forums not the issues.

# 29 vegaas @ 07/24/08 06:58 PM
I didnt think it would happen, but with the partnership with Madden Mania OS has become an EA marketing machine. This years NCAA game is screwed up in every area and yet these OS articles gloss over them every chance they get. The 8.5 review score was joke and is ruining OS's credibility. OS used to be the place where you could trust the reviews and you knew the site was impartial. It looks like those days are gone. For a great break down of all the problems with NCAA read Bill Harris's blog. His blog is called Dubiousquality and it is at blogspot. He has two fantastic articles that break down the problems with NCAA. The most relevant point is the speed breakdown by position.

# 30 ChaseB @ 07/24/08 06:59 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by AuburnAlumni
Honestly Chase, the negatives outweigh the positives RIGHT NOW .

I say "right now" because the ball is in EA's court to change that.

Every major feature is broken right now. That's undeniable.

There are issues on defense as well. That's undeniable.

Dynasty Schedules are broken. They go in reverse. That's undeniable.

Dynasty Stats are severely messed up. That's undeniable.

On a positive note...I love the running game. I love the smooth control online. I love the Stadium Sounds (even though they are causing issues for people pre patch) because it allows me to create the ultimate stadium atmosphere.

But the scoreboard in the game of Postive vs Negative is Negative in a blowout right now. Again I stress....RIGHT NOW.

We'll see if that changes by September.
OK, and does Patrick directly say any of this isn't an issue? I think the only real positive he says is that some people are now starting to enjoy the game basically. Now if that's not true, then fair enough and like I said I'll make sure someone who is closer to the issue than I could be the last few weeks, edits the article moving forward so we don't have these outrages, and thus people think we are in bed with EA etc.

I mean those type of things are going to be said anyway, but you know we want to try and alleviate those as much as possible to make sure people realize this is an independent and unbiased site.

# 31 ChaseB @ 07/24/08 07:02 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by vegaas
I didnt think it would happen, but with the partnership with Madden Mania OS has become an EA marketing machine. This years NCAA game is screwed up in every area and yet these OS articles gloss over them every chance they get. The 8.5 review score was joke and is ruining OS's credibility. OS used to be the place where you could trust the reviews and you knew the site was impartial. It looks like those days are gone. For a great break down of all the problems with NCAA read Bill Harris's blog. His blog is called Dubiousquality and it is at blogspot. He has two fantastic articles that break down the problems with NCAA. The most relevant point is the speed breakdown by position.
Oh cool, you read Bill Harris too. I posted his first article in the glitches thread because I was curious if others were experiencing those issues as well. He's good when it comes to sports coverage. The OS review is interesting, just because it's not like the review was written by a former MM guy or anything, and it's just one person's opinion. I've always said a review doesn't mean it symbolizes everyone's opinion, just one writer who tries to articulate why a game is good or bad. It is OS' official score, but it's still just one person.

# 32 Pared @ 07/24/08 07:11 PM
Quote:
It was written a few days ago, then held to be re-written a bit to talk more about the forums than the game -- because that was the original idea of the story. I think maybe it's also important to point out that Patrick probably brought in the MaddenMania impressions and feelings into his thoughts in this article as well.

I think if your thoughts are more the consensus moving forward then we'll make sure to have someone edit the article that is a little closer to the forums than I could be during the last few weeks when I was busy. That way the person who edits the article can check for tone and make sure that it fits the general community.
Here's the thing:

We've discussed in the past about the differentiation of articles and forums; They aren't the same thing and like to be held as separate entities.

However, in an article of this nature, how can you make comments like:

Quote:
Now reports of people actually having fun with the game are starting to pop up, and threads of gamers posting their best experiences and great games are prevalent. Work is being done to help each other overcome the problems, and slider and music customization help is a hot topic.
and insinuate the happenings of the forum. There is nothing else really to discuss here in the forums aside from anything positive because mentioning the issues is just a constant re-tread that tires everyone out. Where is the discussion about posters being told by the mods to keep their frustrations in line and that they aren't accomplishing anything by asking for answers from the devs who were more than willing to answer almost anything pre-release? (Summation)

Personally, I feel this article is an outlier from anything you'd see from someone who has spent a significant amount of time in this forum. It just makes me feel like OS has lost touch with the same forum members who helped make this site what it is today.

# 33 ChaseB @ 07/24/08 07:12 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by KingVMSU
Then dont have the person present a score.

Plain and simple that person represents this website and frankly denying that or lessening the importance of that persons opinion is weak sauce.

If it;s truly one mans opinion post it in here, otherwise having a front page article means more and as we all know perception is reality.
I'm not trying to downplay it, I was just telling you my general feelings about a review. That's OS' review, if we end up being wrong according to most then that's the way it is, it's an opinion. My point is if you write a review by trying to please the community, then that's not a review either, because you're writing the community's impression, not your own.

Like I said I haven't played this year's product and I really don't plan to because I'm pretty anti-football these days though. Otherwise I would probably be more vocal if I agree or disagreed with the complaints being made.

# 34 elprez98 @ 07/24/08 07:12 PM
Quite frankly,

I do not understand how the tone of the piece is not recognized immediately as condescending. Words like "soap opera and panic button" infer that the complaints are unfounded. I agree people sometime fly off the handle when game bugs are found, and this NCAA release is no exception. But this happens with every sports game, every year and it is not an OVEREACTION like the author tries to portray.

I think the most upsetting part to me is the part that says:

After the eye of the storm passed, the other problem became abundantly clear: the evil roster glitch. And if you want to see panic, then look no further than a bunch of guys that are without real-life named rosters during NCAA release week.

"Something that is free and provided by ordinary people has become the biggest part of the game to many, and when it was found that the game would freeze, and created names would not work properly, well that is when things really hit the fan."

The game costs $60+ and it is a feature that is expected to function correctly. Whether or not someone takes their time to make a personal roster and share it with others has nothing to do with that $60 price tag.

I guess I need to go back to my basketball forum for some sanity.

# 35 rp71284 @ 07/24/08 07:12 PM
I think another thing that irks a lot of the people who commented is that outside of 3-4 sticky threads, we cannot mention any glitches, or our posts magically disappear.

Yet, day after day, articles that praise the game appear on the main page. I really love OS, trust me, but it gets harder and harder to want to read the forums when the only opinions that are allowed to be expressed are positive ones.

Also, the fact that EA developers are participating on the site now coupled with the "censorship" that may or may not be happening just makes things really uneasy for people. Remember when MLB 2k6 was a completely broken game? I know the site back then was different, but that whole forum was complaint after complaint. And it was justified! Just because a few devs are here doesn't mean we have to cater to them. While NCAA '09 might not be as broken as that game was, it has more flaws than it should.

# 36 ChaseB @ 07/24/08 07:17 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pared
Here's the thing:

We've discussed in the past about the differentiation of articles and forums; They aren't the same thing and like to be held as separate entities.

However, in an article of this nature, how can you make comments like:

and insinuate the happenings of the forum. There is nothing else really to discuss here in the forums aside from anything positive because mentioning the issues is just a constant re-tread that tires everyone out. Where is the discussion about posters being told by the mods to keep their frustrations in line and that they aren't accomplishing anything by asking for answers from the devs who were more than willing to answer almost anything pre-release? (Summation)

Personally, I feel this article is an outlier from anything you'd see from someone who has spent a significant amount of time in this forum. It just makes me feel like OS has lost touch with the same forum members who helped make this site what it is today.
OK cool, see this is the type of stuff I'm looking for. And yea we did talk about forum vs. front page in the past and I think it has gotten better recently quality-wise. More writers now (a few which are OS people who stepped up and wanted to write articles) has allowed everyone to spend more time on articles and all that.

As for the mods stuff, I don't have a hand in the moderation so I didn't know about that either.

But I think definitely I will be more cautious of this type of thing and be proactive in trying to make sure we have guys who are entrenched in the community edit these types of articles moving forward. Sometimes a little wake-up call like this is necessary for me to take notice of an issue, and this does appear to be one.

# 37 ChaseB @ 07/24/08 07:21 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by rp71284
I think another thing that irks a lot of the people who commented is that outside of 3-4 sticky threads, we cannot mention any glitches, or our posts magically disappear.

Yet, day after day, articles that praise the game appear on the main page. I really love OS, trust me, but it gets harder and harder to want to read the forums when the only opinions that are allowed to be expressed are positive ones.

Also, the fact that EA developers are participating on the site now coupled with the "censorship" that may or may not be happening just makes things really uneasy for people. Remember when MLB 2k6 was a completely broken game? I know the site back then was different, but that whole forum was complaint after complaint. And it was justified! Just because a few devs are here doesn't mean we have to cater to them. While NCAA '09 might not be as broken as that game was, it has more flaws than it should.
So do you know who take that problem up with as it relates to moderation? I'm not familiar with it because I don't handle any moderation stuff, but do you know who to talk to if you feel you're being wronged? I mean I assume the mods aren't so unyielding that they wouldn't at least talk with each other to make sure they're doing right by the community if many people felt wronged.

Quote:
Originally Posted by elprez98
Quite frankly,

I do not understand how the tone of the piece is not recognized immediately as condescending. Words like "soap opera and panic button" infer that the complaints are unfounded. I agree people sometime fly off the handle when game bugs are found, and this NCAA release is no exception. But this happens with every sports game, every year and it is not an OVEREACTION like the author tries to portray.

I think the most upsetting part to me is the part that says:

"Something that is free and provided by ordinary people has become the biggest part of the game to many, and when it was found that the game would freeze, and created names would not work properly, well that is when things really hit the fan."

The game costs $60+ and it is a feature that is expected to function correctly. Whether or not someone takes their time to make a personal roster and share it with others has nothing to do with that $60 price tag.

I guess I need to go back to my basketball forum for some sanity.
I think he's just hitting on what you mentioned, that there is a general hoopla every year and he just accentuated that a bit. I didn't think it was meant to be condescending though.

The free thing I don't see as an issue. It is a thing most people do for free, which is awesome. And he does say it's a big part of the experience for many (including me when I bought NCAA in the past). Eye of the beholder though and if you feel that way that's totally alright.

# 38 thmst30 @ 07/24/08 07:24 PM
Chase we love you man, keeping it real in this thread and taking everything in stride.

Now as for the complaints about the OS Review score. The thing about reviews these days that I find so wrong is that, as you stated, its ONE persons OPINION. Thats not what a review should be, it should hardly touch on the writers opinion at all. A review is a place to put down the straight up facts about a game, both the positive and negative, and then let everyone decide for themselves if they will buy it. EVERY review site out there today is guilty of loading up the reviews with their OPINIONS and leaving many FACTS out. Leave your opinions at home or post them in the forums, for the review we just want the writer to lay it all out on the table and thats it. Again, its nothing against the reviewer or OS, everyone out there is guilty of destroying what reviews are supposed to be about.

# 39 brk1078 @ 07/24/08 07:28 PM
GIVE IT FREAKING TIME. And those who think that the defense sucks, USE SLIDERS. goshdarnit.

# 40 ASB37 @ 07/24/08 07:29 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by brk1078
GIVE IT FREAKING TIME. And those who think that the defense sucks, USE SLIDERS. goshdarnit.
This would be all good and dandy.....if the CPU sliders actually worked. This is yet another thing that absolutely boggles my mind. How can this get past testing?

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.