Home
Feature Article
Summer Storms: The NCAA Release Story

Summer is usually a time for relaxation in the sports world. Summer lacks any real dramatic sports news. At most, all you can hope for is some kind of off-the-field NFL scandal or hot topic -- and this year has not let us down, thank you Brett Favre and the Packers organization. Still if you love sports -- and since you are here you most likely do -- and play sports video games, you know that summer means a new beginning for the next season’s titles.

With the recent hype surrounding the resurgence of EA Sports and Tiburon’s football titles there was no doubt the forums of MaddenMania and Operation Sports would be popping come release time for NCAA Football 09. This is usually the case every release, but recent lackluster products have left people skeptical. Add in the fact that fans seem to hold the football monopolizing Electronic Arts to a higher standard when it comes to the hopes of what will be in a football game, and you never really know what to expect.

A wide array of emotions have engulfed forum members, leaving some looking for answers and pushing panic buttons already -- not even one week after release of the game.

Well if you happened to venture anywhere near the forums in the past few weeks you would have been in for quite the soap opera. A wide array of emotions have engulfed forum members, leaving some looking for answers and pushing panic buttons already -- not even one week after release of the game.

The onslaught started shortly before the public release, as it usually does. I have been around these boards for about eight releases now, and this part is like clockwork. The air is chock-full of angst as people pray to find a place that will sell a copy a few days early, making the F5 button work overtime on all the threads that may have the inside scoop on where your best bets are.

Then you have the lucky few that manage to land the game, and either get tarred and feathered or treated like heroes. In a rare change-up this year I did not see anyone attempt the old-lying-about-having-the-game-early trick. Sure there were plenty of skeptics that wanted photo, video and government certification providing proof that a person obtained the game, but not one really lied.

When someone does find the game the rest of us need to hear impressions from them of course -- even though this year we had several community leaders telling us all about the game from their experiences, not to mention a guy or two with a beta copy taking all the media you can handle. (Thank you Steve). Still it seems to be Average Joe that forum goers hold in highest regard when it comes to unbiased information.

Still when the forums got wind of some game issues via the few that had landed a copy of the retail game, all bets were off.

And the great part about all of this pre-release angst deals with something you learn in the first week of a college marketing class: bad news travels faster than good news. This is really what highlights this year’s NCAA Football 09 release.

Word was already out there that several issues, perhaps ranging from minor to game destroying depending on what's important to the gamer, were in this year's version of the game. This info had come from community days, and the month’s time we all were able to spend playing the early demo. Still when the forums got wind of some game issues via the few that had landed a copy of the retail game, all bets were off.

Over the next few days, and those leading up to the actual release day, if you visited the forums you may have heard the sky was falling, down was up, and Atlantis had risen. This tends to happen every year, but seemed particularly outrageous this release.

It shouldn’t come as a surprise though, reactions like these tend to happen when you mostly focus on the negatives.

Perhaps just another college learned lesson was rearing its head: the fact that people who dislike something are more vocal than people who actually care about it. Because if you were on the boards during all the impressions, or should I say complaints, then it became a little trying. Several die hards proclaimed the game was busted and that they wouldn’t be purchasing this year -- mind you this was still before the game was even officially released. Glitch after glitch began to surface, and as more and more people received their games, the question was how could this be going bad again after things looked so bright and promising?

It shouldn’t come as a surprise though, reactions like these tend to happen when you mostly focus on the negatives. And with the masses getting the product and reporting on just the bad functions, overlooking any possibility of fun or happiness with the game, the forums became a bit of a downer to read.

But then just as quickly, a strange silence fell over the boards on July 15. This of course would come as a result of release day. Like the eye of the hurricane, it was the middle of a crazy week and the boards were dormant for the most part in regards to new posts. Thousands of people were online, but only a few were even posting. Why? Because everyone was playing the game of course.

After the eye of the storm passed, the other problem became abundantly clear: the evil roster glitch. And if you want to see panic, then look no further than a bunch of guys that are without real-life named rosters during NCAA release week.

Something that is free and provided by ordinary people has become the biggest part of the game to many, and when it was found that the game would freeze, and created names would not work properly, well that is when things really hit the fan. The online community mourned as it appeared they would have to wait longer before they could play their beloved game, even though they technically had the prize in their hands.

But as the week went on and as the dust started to settle, people spent a little more time playing the game. Now reports of people actually having fun with the game are starting to pop up, and threads of gamers posting their best experiences and great games are prevalent. Work is being done to help each other overcome the problems, and slider and music customization help is a hot topic. This game may just have hope yet. Still it has been an eventful week or two in the online community with forums everywhere taking some twists and turns to say the least.

So with the cleanup after the storm taking place now, does normalcy peek out from behind the storm clouds? Only time will tell. But with big brother Madden’s release just a few short weeks away, I know we'll have to gear up to go through it all again, because after all, it is release season!

NCAA Football 09 Videos
Member Comments
# 141 PVarck31 @ 07/25/08 07:20 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by PlyrzNumber1
I've written posts directly in flow of the topic pointing out issues with the game and have seen my own posts deleted. I'm one amongst many. This very thread has several people commenting about "over moderation".

Here is a thread requested to be locked by OMT (people debating what should and shouldn't be addressed in terms of the next patch) very recently:

Quote:

Originally Posted by OMT

Besides, as Countryboy said, this thread was a patch announcement and questions about the roster patch. There are plenty of other threads to discuss what you don't personally like about the game, and other threads where you can point fingers.

This thread needs to be locked.

The thread proceeded to be locked with the commentary: "I believe it has come to that point" http://www.operationsports.com/forum...cement-75.html
UMM! Seeing as how OMT was the original poster of that thread he has every right to ask for it to be locked. Geez guys come on.

Oh and for the record, OMT, Philycheze, Thefuture15, Raczilla, or any other EA employee has never once contacted me about locking a thread. I lock what ''I feel" needs to be locked, Not Steve, Paul or anyone else tells me what to lock or not lock.

# 142 umd @ 07/25/08 07:26 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by pjv31
Geez guys come on. What is going on here. How is every thread turning into this crap.
easy... somethings broken around here.

# 143 PVarck31 @ 07/25/08 07:26 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by umd
easy... somethings broken around here.
What do you mean?

# 144 umd @ 07/25/08 07:30 PM
Quote:
What do you mean?
Obviously, something has gotten people around here riled up if "every thread is turning into this crap"... that doesn't happen if things are business as usual.

# 145 umd @ 07/25/08 07:34 PM
Quote:
Yes it has. And I am sure I speak for all the mods in saying we are tired of getting our credibility questioned.

Anyway lets get back on topic.
OK terrible, terrible article. Very un-oldtime OS. I do believe moderators are on topic since Chase has been addressing it for what 15 pages?

I mean come on. It pretty much all goes together. OS is changing. The older members should probably deal with it or get out of the way.

Oh yeah, your face! bud dum ching.

# 146 luv_mist @ 07/25/08 08:32 PM
On a real mature and sensible note, the next person that attacks or posts a useless post in the forum is going to take a timeout seriously. Too many grown men and women on the site to be acting like you haven't any type of sense on communication. Plain and simple, credibility or not........

# 147 GoVols1985 @ 07/25/08 08:57 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by luv_mist
On a real mature and sensible note, the next person that attacks or posts a useless post in the forum is going to take a timeout seriously. Too many grown men and women on the site to be acting like you haven't any type of sense on communication. Plain and simple, credibility or not........
Ok, my curiosity is killing me... how are you blessed?

# 148 GoVols1985 @ 07/25/08 09:03 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by 867-5309
Thread title keeps popping this song up in my head.

Summer breeze, makes me feel fine
Blowing through the jasmine in my mind

Good song, I think it's originally by Seals and Croft, but I have a version by the Isley Brothers that's really good, with some great guitar work.

# 149 hail2thevictors @ 07/25/08 09:56 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rules
$60 wasted and another crap article stating why "the few" of us don't like the game, making it sound like we are the ones with the problem

Now that 2k is basically gone (from football) I find it funny how quick some jump the shark to the other side when expectation should ALWAYS be at a high level.......NOT JUST FOR EA!

$60...........the price for a game.
The price for a game that you SHOULD NOT have to deal with these glaring gameplay BUGS, especially when it has been HOW MANY YEARS NOW?
Defenitely agree! The game, IMO, was overhyped and is a flop. It's not fun to play because it doesn't feel like a sim. WO gameplay is for when you're in the open field, but rarely do you get into the open field where you can use it, and it actually be effective like they advertised in all of the videos! I have hope for ncaa 2010 though cuz I love college football, and have been a fan of this particular franchise since it's first installment on the sega genesis as bill walsh college football '93. Hopefully 2012 will see 2k back in action on the pro and maybe even collegiate level?

# 150 fantasysportsguy @ 07/25/08 10:24 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by AuburnAlumni
Every bit of negativity has been warranted in my opinion.

Why? Well, regardless of what you think about the actual gameplay, Almost every major feature upon release was flat out broken.

1. Editing Rosters made your game freeze. Can't do that.
2. Stadium Sounds were causing issues for folks. Can't do that.
3. Online Dynasty was disappearing, being hijacked, etc. Can't do that.

That covers every major "new feature" in the game.

Gameplay is an opinion. But in all honesty, the folks that are really tearing NCAA a new one in the AI department are not "9 post wonders". These aren't 12 year old Timmy.

Bill Abner, Bill Harris, Rhombic, etc. These are ESTABLISHED WELL RESPECTED COMMUNITY MEMBERS . And it's not like they think the game "is a bit easy on offense", etc. These folks, like myself, are saying there are MAJOR issues.

Again, it's everyone's individual tastes on gameplay, etc. But there is a very vocal..and IMO...very KNOWLEDGEABLE section of the NCAA community that is highly disappointed with what this game looks like right now . I agree, obviously, with Rhombic and Co. and I think that...pre patch..this game is an arcadish score-fest with horrendous Defensive AI.

Could Defensive AI be adjusted? Could the ridiculous speed cheat for offenses be toned down? Could a Defensive line actually play to their abilities instead of getting pancaked and stonewalled by All Pro Offensive lines at Akron and Ball State?

Sure they could. Will they? Who knows.

But it would be very reasonable to suggest that this launch has been one of the messiest, bug filled, AI deficient in memory.

Just my .02.
Post of the YEAR!!!!!!! Excellent job man, well said.

# 151 g2thecore @ 07/25/08 10:56 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by AuburnAlumni
Every bit of negativity has been warranted in my opinion.

Why? Well, regardless of what you think about the actual gameplay, Almost every major feature upon release was flat out broken.

1. Editing Rosters made your game freeze. Can't do that.
2. Stadium Sounds were causing issues for folks. Can't do that.
3. Online Dynasty was disappearing, being hijacked, etc. Can't do that.

That covers every major "new feature" in the game.

Gameplay is an opinion. But in all honesty, the folks that are really tearing NCAA a new one in the AI department are not "9 post wonders". These aren't 12 year old Timmy.

Bill Abner, Bill Harris, Rhombic, etc. These are ESTABLISHED WELL RESPECTED COMMUNITY MEMBERS . And it's not like they think the game "is a bit easy on offense", etc. These folks, like myself, are saying there are MAJOR issues.

Again, it's everyone's individual tastes on gameplay, etc. But there is a very vocal..and IMO...very KNOWLEDGEABLE section of the NCAA community that is highly disappointed with what this game looks like right now . I agree, obviously, with Rhombic and Co. and I think that...pre patch..this game is an arcadish score-fest with horrendous Defensive AI.

Could Defensive AI be adjusted? Could the ridiculous speed cheat for offenses be toned down? Could a Defensive line actually play to their abilities instead of getting pancaked and stonewalled by All Pro Offensive lines at Akron and Ball State?

Sure they could. Will they? Who knows.

But it would be very reasonable to suggest that this launch has been one of the messiest, bug filled, AI deficient in memory.

Just my .02.
Great post....

# 152 pietasterp @ 07/26/08 04:12 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by hail2thevictors
Hopefully 2012 will see 2k back in action on the pro and maybe even collegiate level?
That will never happen. I've given up completely thinking that anyone other than EA will ever have any football licenses. As I said back in 2004, by the time the exclusivity deals expire, EA will be dictating the market, not the other way around.

But, get ready for a redux of the standard forum psychology 101, as Madden is just around the corner!!!

# 153 Slapsack @ 07/26/08 06:42 PM
You guys are funny. This is a game. A video game. Its the same thing year in and year out. How serious do you all take it? I find the whining and complaining hysterical. I enjoy the game, its a good time waster; just like all games. If you disect something long enough you are bound to find imperfections. I don't care enough to alter the rosters after I downloaded the named players. I don't care enough to have "stadium sounds" or whatever in my game, and much less care in playing online dynasties with a bunch of video game pros. Its all about the fun, the other things that are presumed "broken" by most of the OS Community do not prevent me from enjoying the time I have when I play NCAA 09.

What I am having the ummm most fun, I mean hardest time understanding, is why the complaining. Is there some secret society that makes you spend a life savings on a game and when you buy you must play it for all eternity? I doubt it. If you think the game sucks, trade it, sell it on Ebay, throw it Lake Michigan, whatever. The game cost 60 bucks, not 6 million.

# 154 thmst30 @ 07/26/08 07:51 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slapsack
You guys are funny. This is a game. A video game. Its the same thing year in and year out. How serious do you all take it? I find the whining and complaining hysterical. I enjoy the game, its a good time waster; just like all games. If you disect something long enough you are bound to find imperfections. I don't care enough to alter the rosters after I downloaded the named players. I don't care enough to have "stadium sounds" or whatever in my game, and much less care in playing online dynasties with a bunch of video game pros. Its all about the fun, the other things that are presumed "broken" by most of the OS Community do not prevent me from enjoying the time I have when I play NCAA 09.

What I am having the ummm most fun, I mean hardest time understanding, is why the complaining. Is there some secret society that makes you spend a life savings on a game and when you buy you must play it for all eternity? I doubt it. If you think the game sucks, trade it, sell it on Ebay, throw it Lake Michigan, whatever. The game cost 60 bucks, not 6 million.
Please quit feeding the fire. If you enjoy the game thats great. Everybody has their own opinion and nobody is wrong. Also this is Operation Sports, home of hardcore sim sports gamers who DO care about everything you listed as not caring about. Realize where you are.

# 155 PioneerRaptor @ 07/27/08 04:45 AM
The game isn't broken.

Just because you can't download a roster, doens't mean you can't play the game, just because you can't do Online Dynasties, doesn't mean you can't play Dynasty, Single Games, Campus Legend, etc.

The Defensive AI isn't broken either. Yes, at times they take horrid angles, however, I've also noticed them to make a lot of good plays myself. Could it definently afford to be tuned up? Of course, but it doesn't completely ruin the game. The Sliders work, partially, and they work enough to make the game more fun, I personally use the "100" Sliders, and have been held to 13 Points with Oklahoma before.

As for the Wide-Open Gameplay? What do you really expect when you use a high-caliber team? You're going to score all over a bunch of other, less-powerful teams. Throughout my entire season as Oklahoma, I dominated every game, my closest game being against Texas and Kansas State. However, come the end of the season, I only beat Missouri 20-13 in the Big 12 Championship, and I lost 28-17 to Georgia in the BCS Bowl.

So, yes you will dominate the Offensive side when you use good teams, but when you also go up against other high-caliber teams, it isn't that easy either.

As for lesser-caliber teams, I used both Western Kentucky and Oklahoma in that same Dysnasty. I went 7-6, Bowl Included, with Western Kentucky. Most of the games were real close, I got dominated I think 3 out of 6 of those losses, and I dominated about 2 of those 7 wins.

All and all, I had a very fun, and successful season. I didn't have problems with the game being too easy, because I was Oklahoma and pooping on Oklahoma State, like I should be anyways.

I understand you want to have good, close games a lot, as I do find those the most fun, but there's a point of realism the developers are trying not to cross. Yes, they want you to be able to use the #120 Western Kentucky and beat the #1 Georgia team, however, they don't want it to be easy. They want you to actually be challenged.

So, stop complaining when you win some game by huge margins, it's going to happen, that's College Football. Perhaps you should watch it more. Most College Football games are blowouts, unless they're games within the Top #25, or Upsets.

# 156 thmst30 @ 07/27/08 04:49 AM
These noobs are really driving me nuts.

# 157 PioneerRaptor @ 07/27/08 04:55 AM
Because name-calling makes you someone who's opinion should be listened to right? ;]

If you disagree with someone, perhaps you should actually attempt to formulate an argument instead of resorting to petty name-calling, otherwise you simply look like a fool ;]

# 158 bears5122 @ 07/27/08 08:05 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by PioneerRaptor
The Defensive AI isn't broken either.
I present to you, Exhibit A:

http://www.operationsports.com/forum...-football.html

And you are correct. Just because every major feature of the game is broken doesn't make it a bad game.

# 159 GiantKingNy @ 07/27/08 08:25 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slapsack

I'm not an E.A. defender but I am definitely an O.S. Defender and what this forum is about. Just like all the other gazillion hobbyists in the world that take their side interests almost as serious as their careers, this is a sports sim website created by people passionate about sim sports. And if you folly the reason why the guys/gals take it so serious, ask yourself this question, why is this board of great interest to game developers of all stripes?
Don't roll up on my board with some type of zen levity as if you're going to cure what ills us. Everyone knows why this community was started and why it is so respected and successful. You are right, we take it seriously, because many people do, but this is not a vacuum, and no one (maybe a few) are expressing themselves from a tunnel hidden from the rest of the world. So take your condescending words and skip to a "fun" website and hop along.

# 160 mwjr @ 07/27/08 12:57 PM
Work is being done to help each other overcome the problems, and slider and music customization help is a hot topic.
Sliders are broken, Sparky.

It doesn't take die-hards (your words) to see the flaws in this game. The tone of this blog entry implies that those dissatisfied with the game are simply whining. While there is certainly some of that going on, the fact is that there are major problems with this game. (Seriously - when was the last time you've seen a defender actually run AWAY from a ball carrier?) These have been pointed out and validated the by newcomers and veterans alike.

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.