Home
Feature Article
Getting Hit by the Madden Hype Machine

Somewhere, deep inside EA's corporate headquarters, marketing executives have my picture framed on the wall. Or at least I think they do, as it seems every advertising decision designed to fuel the Madden hype machine targets my individual weaknesses. It's like they ask, "What will Roark fall for next?" and then stick that on the front of the box.

You see, each year since 2005, I've sworn I wouldn't get the new Madden. After all, I was still enjoying the great NFL 2K5, and was going to cast my vote against license exclusivity by withholding a purchase of EA's football juggernaut. However, each year since 2005, Madden's found its way into my home and onto my TV. Like my weaknesses for a good milkshake or piece of Batman memorabilia, I can't seem to avoid the spell a virtual John Madden casts.

Part of it is the updated rosters. There's something about getting "official" rosters that trumps the homebrew versions needed to keep 2K5 fresh. I like seeing the new draftees, complete with player photos and correct (usually) body types and playing styles, or checking out how traded players look in their new uniforms.

I think most of all though, it's the "shiny new car" aspect of each new Madden that makes me buy in: the new cover athlete, the special editions, new modes, slick graphics.

Also, I am a sucker for the list of new features, despite the legendary practice of removing them temporarily. Superstar mode? Ate it up the first year. The weapon system? I liked the clean and clear way to view mismatches -- despite the effects on gameplay. Even the radio guy was somewhat unique upon first playthrough. I guess I like trying new things, and when new features are listed as a number -- like this year's 85 -- I feel I must try them all. It's like a checklist and I don't want to miss one.

Friends have also convinced me to buy the game in the past. Last year, a friend (finally) got an Xbox 360. His first game, of course, was Madden 08, so I bought it so we could someday play online. He forgot to mention that he didn't have Live, or even broadband Internet in his new house.

I think most of all though, it's the "shiny new car" aspect of each new Madden that makes me buy in: the new cover athlete, the special editions, new modes, slick graphics. I get swept up by following coverage on Operation Sports, viewing trailers or full games, and playing the demo. Each of these feeds my appetite for a new football game, and the machine rolls right over me as I lap up each piece of information. And then, annually, like a recovering addict, I fall back into the old routine, until I am mindlessly standing at the video game counter with Madden in-hand. And, like so many vices, it's consistently left me feeling empty and disappointed.

Back in the fall of 2005, I grabbed Madden 06 for my new Xbox 360. It was my first sports game on the new console, and I couldn't wait to see virtual football in high definition. It also had my favorite player on the cover, so it couldn't be bad, right? Like the 2005 Eagles season, the game was a disaster. It was like an extended tech demo -- it impressed friends who came over, but had little replay value, especially outside of the multi-season Franchise mode.

Madden 07 was a similar negative experience; however, last year was the worst, as I had high hopes for an improved experience. For the first time, I went to the store on launch day; I even contemplated picking it up at midnight, which was extra crazy considering only months before I had (once again) sworn off Madden for good. After throwing and picking a combined nine interceptions in one half, I had finally had enough. This was it, the final time, never again.

Throw in the special, ultra-premium-20th-anniversary-new-and-improved-collector's edition -- "Now with NFL Head Coach!" -- and my wallet hand is trembling.

Yet, here we are again, in the midst of full-speed, all-out Madden hype: countdown clocks, Broadway Brett trailers, feature lists, and forum buzz. That exec must have looked at my picture when he pushed for improved presentation, adaptable AI, improved graphics -- all things sure to make me cave in once again. Throw in the special, ultra-premium-20th-anniversary-new-and-improved-collector's edition -- "Now with NFL Head Coach!" -- and my wallet hand is trembling.

However, thus far cooler heads have prevailed. I haven't pre-ordered it. And I have no plans to get it this week or next. After all, I've been burned enough by the unexpected glitches, missing features, and half-finished presentations. The free homemade rosters for 2K5 look pretty good this time out, and none of my friends are pressuring me this year.

So, to Mr. Executive, I say "tear down my picture!" I've learned my lesson (x3). Your gimmicks won't do it this time.

Well, until more impressions start rolling in from the community; followed by a phone call from my Internet-less friend...

Madden NFL 09 Videos
Member Comments
# 1 GrayFox51 @ 08/13/08 12:05 PM
Just play the damn game if you want, I'm not reading that

# 2 King LeJon #23 @ 08/13/08 12:34 PM
HAHA I agree, This is the first year I have not bought madden in over 10...it feels great! especially after reading all the problems/glitches/bugs it has. Now I can just patiently wait for NBA 2k9

# 3 El Greazy 1 @ 08/13/08 12:57 PM
Very well said. I am much like you and had been on the fence for many years but I gave up on Madden after the 07 installment. Until the gameplay quality begins holding it’s own with the quality of other aspects of the game (player models, stadiums, etc), I will hold off on any further purchase. Don’t get me wrong, there are some major strong points to Madden because it does a lot of things well, but at the core of every game one has to ask themself: what is the gameplay like? To me that's the biggest selling point of any game and if it's not up to par, then in my opinion, it does not warrant my hard earned money nor support.

Reviews and feedback have been extremely promising, especially considering the development team is keeping consumers in touch as to patches/fixes (this, I can tell you, is very impressive to me because it’s never really been done by the Madden team before), but I will wait out until the hype fizzles and fades and fixes are affixed. I believe this is the year many gamers will wait out the series and possibly look into other alternatives: buying it used or on EBAY, the Blitz series, All Pro, Backbreaker, Tecmo, etc because it seems, on a whole, that people have started to become aware and are no longer appeased with “good enough”.

I wish the Madden franchise no ill-will because I am a fan of football and football games and I would buy any football game that is a great product. B\ut I would really love for there to be competition in the genre. Competition breeds excellence and without it the one on top crumbles under its own hype and power. This can be said for societies, sports dynasties, animals in nature, etc and in this case, we may be at the beginning stages of seeing one of the most ubiquitous franchises of all time begin to crack and possibly collapse.

# 4 C Jay Tha Real @ 08/13/08 01:27 PM
your loss

# 5 Caveman Mafia @ 08/13/08 01:36 PM
Hi, my name is Caveman and i haven't bought madden since Vick was on the cover...i swore off it and i've been doing alright even though i do get the urge sometimes....then i play a friends copy and i lol at how terrible it is....now only if i could do the same for NCAA

# 6 DaveDQ @ 08/13/08 01:42 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by GrayFox51
Just play the damn game if you want, I'm not reading that
lol..that could probably be the default response to many comments on here.

# 7 Phobia @ 08/13/08 01:49 PM
Agree with this. I have not bought madden since 05. I buy NCAA every year and was not going to get it this year and only get madden. BUT after talking to some buddies who got NCAA, I was going to get both madden and ncaa. After the NCAA mess with broken sliders, freezing, poor pursuit angles, lack of pass rush, robo QB, ect ect.

I am not buying madden. IAN almost had me. But once the game is out I am seeing some of the same issues (robo QB and freezing LMAO).

Flat out sad the testing team EA has. They must have the best jobs, do nothing for your money.

# 8 Marino @ 08/13/08 01:51 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phobia
Agree with this. I have not bought madden since 05. I buy NCAA every year and was not going to get it this year and only get madden. BUT after talking to some buddies who got NCAA, I was going to get both madden and ncaa. After the NCAA mess with broken sliders, freezing, poor pursuit angles, lack of pass rush, robo QB, ect ect.

I am not buying madden. IAN almost had me. But once the game is out I am seeing some of the same issues (robo QB and freezing LMAO).

Flat out sad the testing team EA has. They must have the best jobs, do nothing for your money.
i havent really seen robo QB or any freezing yet...if there are some other issues that you want me to look at i will...but on those two i just want to let you know i havent seen either yet

# 9 RoyalBoyle78 @ 08/13/08 02:31 PM
Clay I your a good man and a good witter, but I must say I have disappointed in the past, yes there will NEVER be a glitch free game, or a gimmick free game, I will saythough Madden 09 is a great step forward and a solid football title this year, To each his own I guess.

# 10 therockstar2005 @ 08/13/08 02:43 PM
I agree if you know that you don't enjoy Madden and you truly do love 2k5. I will say that while this year's version has been really good for me, the fact remains that it is still Madden, and still will play like Madden. If you love 2k5's gameplay, it's far better to just stick with it and not worry about it. Don't let others convince you of how you should enjoy your game.

# 11 Steelerfan2k1 @ 08/13/08 03:34 PM
I got caught up in the hype for Head Coach 09 on here, and I went out on Tuesday and picked up Madden CE and the strategy guide for HC09.

HC09 is worthy of the hype. I am very satisfied with my purchase.

# 12 asu666 @ 08/13/08 03:35 PM
I wish I had learned my lesson. The box should read 85 new feature, 75 features removed, and 95 missing. I always buy Madden hoping this is the year, but I always end up playing NFL 2K5 for another 11.5 months while I wait for the next punch to the gut.

# 13 asu666 @ 08/13/08 03:42 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crash Davis
This is the first madden on Next Gen to actually do something, solid game small small flaws that I actually believe are being blow waay out of perpotion

Madden is a hyped game no doubt, but you wanna talk about the biggest hyped game that didnt deserve it, Grand Theft Auto 4. a solid game but by no means even close to classic as almost every review states

Anywho I respect waiting past the release date for madden but at least rent it i think youll be pleasently suprised
We must not have been playing the same game because I finished GTA 4 on PS# and X360. It has a great story and crazy deep gameplay. The work that went into making all of those system function together must have been staggering. I have easily put in over 100 hours and I still see new stuff that surprises me all of the time. The beginning is a little slow, but it's a great game.

Madden NFL 2009 was a big step up for people who play online or with a buddy using 5 to 8 minutes quarters. It was a huge dissapointment for sim fans.

# 14 RunN1st @ 08/13/08 03:42 PM
I don't feel so bad now...

I'm holding off even thought 80% of the people on my friends list have picked it up. I guess what irrates the most is the fact that folks nowadays game hop from new release to new release. For crying out loud, I'm still trying to digest NCAA '09 and NASCAR '09.

I'm hoping that a patch is released by the time I'm ready to jump on the Madden wagon. And by that time, there will be plenty of used copies at Gamestop which will give me the flexibility to return it should it not meet my expectations. The downside is that everyone will be playing the newly released NBA games by then. Oh, well!
-------
Side note: I just realized that I'm a level 'Pro' poster!!! I wonder where I would be if I still had my original mniner OS user name.

# 15 Cold77 @ 08/13/08 03:54 PM
the superstar mode sucks....hard, this year, they didn't do anything to it....at all, actually I think they removed stuff from it.

# 16 mastershake88 @ 08/13/08 04:31 PM
again, funny that Professional threads come out on this. But yet again, if I or anyone else made this infraction would have been made. and thread would have been locked.

# 17 Diehardfan @ 08/13/08 05:21 PM
Exactly Master, I got gigged by CountryBoy Fish or whatever his name is because I said pretty much said the same thing in a far more succint fashion. Its not that Im a 2K fanboy or dislike EA.....I love their hockey franchise and plan on buying HC09 when they release it.....WITHOUT Madden. Its just the Madden franchise with the NFL license in their back pocket has carte blanche to drop any half-baked piece of software they want on the football gaming public.

# 18 ChubbyBanana @ 08/13/08 05:35 PM
This years Madden is like 08, minus reception problems. Graphics and animations have improved considerably. I would reccomend it to a friend.

Nice read. I have felt like the writer many a time before with different games...

# 19 skipwondah33 @ 08/13/08 05:49 PM
When players do there moves you have to admit their skating out there..lol and I thought NCAA moves looked bad

# 20 HechticSooner @ 08/13/08 07:59 PM
Do what I did, buy it in the CE for Head Coach! I have yet to even put the Madden disc in the XBox. I even think that I might just sell it.

« Previous12Next »

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.