Home
Feature Article
MLB 2K8 All-Underrated Team Revisited

Back in May, I took time out from playing MLB 2K8 to analyze its player ratings. While most seemed to be in the ballpark (pun unavoidable of course), some players’ ratings didn’t seem to be accurately reflecting how they were playing. To that end, I put together the OS All-Underrated Team; a squad of players who were outplaying their 2K8 ratings as of the first half of May.

Now that we’ve reached the final week of the regular season, I thought it would be relevant to revisit my created team. Perhaps 2K8 was uncannily prescient with some of its ratings and maybe they sold certain guys short. Either way, there were some hits and misses with my selections. Here’s a look at just the starters and the rotation of that underrated team, and an analysis of how they’ve done this season vs. their ratings.

Lineup

1. Ryan Theriot, CHC SS (76): As of May, he was in the top 5 amongst SS in average, on-base percentage, and stolen bases. He still is. And he is still underrated because of that.
  2. Connor Jackson, ARI 1B (78): His average is still around .300, but all other meaningful stats are only slightly above the 1B average. Seems 2K8 got this one right.
  3. Xavier Nady, NYY RF (74): He was batting .330 as a Pirate; as a Yankee he’s only slightly above .260. His on-base percentage also dropped by 60 points. Still, he’s batting .306 with 20+ home runs and 90+ RBIs -- better than a 74.
  4. Nate McLouth, PIT CF (72): Despite tailing off during August, he’s still leading the Pirates in HRs and has a solid chance to win a Gold Glove award. His career year should get him a higher rating next year.
  5. Carlos Quentin, CWS LF (74): A self-inflicted injury has sidelined him for the last few weeks, but he’s still a potential MVP candidate. Underrated.
  6. Geovany Soto, CHC C (70): Soto has been solid for the first place Cubbies this year and leads all catchers with 23 home runs (tied with McCann). With no real big league experience, I can see where the 70 came from. While he’s not yet a superstar, he’s outplaying his mediocre rating for sure.
  7. Yuniel Escobar, ATL 3B (75): I think the 75 fits here. While his average has remained high, he’s outstandingly mediocre in most other offensive stats.
  8. Erick Aybar, LAA 2B (69): I’ll give this one to 2k8, although I expect he’ll be rated higher next year. Some injuries plagued Aybar, who's produced a relatively average season.

Rotation

1. Ervin Santana, LAA (78) and
  2. Joe Saunders, LAA (72): These Angels have 16 wins apiece, ERA’s around 3.50 and a combined 300 strikeouts. I would expect either of these pitchers -- especially Santana -- to be rated in the low to mid 80s next year.
  3. Cliff Lee, CLE (78): 22 wins. 2.41 ERA. 162 Ks. 1.09 ERA. Most definitely underrated. 'Nuff said.
  4. Mark Hendrickson, FLA (70): Ouch. I blew this one. After starting 5-1, Hendrickson only won 2 more games before being tossed to the bullpen.
  5. Aaron Cook, COL (72): A 16-9 season and an ERA just under 4.00 is not bad these days. He probably outplayed the 72 rating, if only by a few points.
  6. Edison Volquez, CIN (72): His numbers are remarkabley close to Cook and Saunders, so it’s extra interesting that they are all rated at 72. Again, look for his rating to go up next year.

If anything, it is clear developers are having a hard time getting the ratings right, especially when players are having career seasons. The all-underrated team also means players who are off to a great start in a season might not finish that way over the course of a 162-game season. Not to mention injuries play a large role in shaping a player's season as well. Sometimes, injuries to players means ratings in video games are more of a 'what could have been' kind of a rating.

All of this makes the trend of 'living' rosters, which are being rolled out with the NBA games this year, a positive addition for simulation gamers who like their rosters to reflect real life as much as possible. 

So what is your opinion of the original All-Underrated team? Also, who do you think should have been included with the 2008 season coming to a close?  Let us know your thoughts by sounding off in the comments box below!

Member Comments
# 1 derekjeter76 @ 09/26/08 04:28 PM
I am pretty sure Geovanny Soto is an 80 OVR. Can someone check that?

# 2 CPRoark @ 09/29/08 12:17 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by derekjeter76
I am pretty sure Geovanny Soto is an 80 OVR. Can someone check that?
It may have been after a roster update (did 2k ever update rosters?). I bailed on this game for The Show after I got a PS3. But I'm sure that he was a 70 at launch.

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.