Home
Feature Article
Madden House Rules

When news of Tom Brady’s season-ending injury came to light, there were many different reactions. My buddy whined because Brady was his first fantasy pick this year. Patriots fans mourned the potential end to their season before it really got underway. Jets fans rejoiced of course, but not for Brady’s actual misfortune; they would never revel in another's misfortune -- no, not my fellow Jets fans.

It took me a while to realize the full extent of what Brady's injury actually meant to the virtual world; that he is virtually absent in this year’s Madden. I came to this epiphany when a friend of mine entered my house and wanted to play against me using an earlier roster download so he could use Brady. He argued that he did not want all the talent of the Patriots to go to waste due to a poorly rated quarterback. My response was, “my house, my rules.”

Having been involved in this altercation, I feel the need to lay down the foundations for solid house rules etiquette, which any guest should abide by when entering the home of a potential Madden opponent.

Sometimes, setting a few gentlemanly rules will help kill all possible strife later on.

Do NOT use Ask Madden.

Please have nerve to man up and decipher the situation using your knowledge of the sport of football. It is not as if the play is guaranteed to work either way, and it is predictable given the situation, so just decide on a play for yourself. There’s no option to ask Bobby Fischer when playing a game of chess now is there?

Repeated use of the same play is not allowed.

I am not referring to an exploit, which is obviously never allowed. I am talking to someone who, for example, likes to run a tight end out pattern every single play no matter the success rate. Deviate your play calling like a team would in real life to keep the game honest.

Long bombs down the field, though encouraged, are in violation if utilized as the sole strategy.

Some people play the game as if they are trying to get a touchdown on every play. At least commit to the run for a quarter or so and try to set up play action. Some teams do pass more than run -- Dallas, Denver, Indianapolis -- yet even they do not just throw long bombs down the field.

Going for it on 4th down on your team’s side of the field in a close game with plenty of time left -- bad idea.

Enough said.

No blitzing on every play.

If the game was intended to be played that way, EA would have called it something like, oh I don’t know, Blitz. It was not named that because all-out blitzing is not the intention of the game. To do it on every play is the equivalent of blind-siding someone with a punch to the groin. You do not want to treat your fellow friend in such an ill-favored manor do you? That’s what I thought.

Please use only the playbook of the team you choose.

I had this roommate who was a big Eagles fan. Any time I played against him he would pick a different team but would change the playbook back to the Eagles! This is a complete violation of the code of ethics as far as I am concerned. It's equivalent to playing a fighting game with only one character. In the end, you have no idea what it is like to play with any other playbook, and that leads to some very bored opponents. This leads into my next and final house rule.

Switch up what teams you choose.

One of the best aspects of Madden is playing with a team that has flaws. I say that because I think it's great to utilize the strengths of a squad to overcome the weaknesses -- hopefully scrapping out a victory in the process. I am all for playing as a team with big stars, but do not forget that every team has at least a couple.

These aren't the only house rules out there though. There are many other unique rules people introduce into their games, such as back in the day when Michael Vick was overpowered and many people, including myself, forbid the use of the Falcons. The introduction of the Rewind feature this year will probably create some interesting arguments as well. Some enjoy the ability to reverse a mistake and change the complexity of the game, and others hate it for the same exact reason.

As long as there are people playing against each other side by side on the same couch, there will forever be house rules to enforce.

So come on OSers, what house rules do you folks institute when it comes to Madden?

Madden NFL 09 Videos
Member Comments
# 1 BlackRome @ 10/02/08 08:20 PM
Now if only the house rules could be applied to online.

Why has fair play been removed form Madden on 360.
If you play on the Wi the fair play is on online.

That would help a lot with the Madden online experience for the 360.

# 2 L0n3 Warr10r @ 10/03/08 12:14 AM
I agree with BlackRome. It's frustrating when you get three stops to bring up 4th down and your opponent goes for it all the time.

# 3 Vikes1 @ 10/03/08 01:37 AM
I only play off-line, but I do have a couple of house rules that have made a nice difference.

1. I can never call a QB sneak.

2. I can only call FB dive on 3rd down.

The effectiveness of these two plays were screwing up my franchise experience. Since I've put house rules on them...my games are much more competitive and challenging.

# 4 LingeringRegime @ 10/03/08 02:07 AM
As far as asking Madden, that is one of my house rules in my franchise also. Except I always ask Madden, b/c when I don't I usually can move the ball at will.

# 5 TJdaSportsGuy @ 10/03/08 05:36 AM
My "House Rules" aren't much different than anyone else's...except probably for one thing. If I'm leading late in the game, I NEVER start to run down the clock until I can get to the 2-minute warning. That is to say that until there's 2:40 left in a half or game, I'll pick my plays and run them the way I normally would. But if I can let the playclock tick down to the 2-minute warning, I'll do it.

Other than that, like I said, I observe the same rules of most sim-style gamers.

# 6 distauma @ 10/03/08 09:47 AM
I definitely agree with not being allowed to run down the clock until 2 minutes left in a half. I should have put that in the article.

With 5 minute quarters, one drive can take up an entire quarter if someone wanted it to.

# 7 PaulZweber @ 10/03/08 10:30 AM
We play 7 minute quarters, and allow running the clock down. Every NFL team uses most of the play clock and tries to win the TOP game. I try to do exactly the same.

# 8 bsbllstr876 @ 10/03/08 10:59 AM
1. NO rewinds!!!

2. Punt on 4th down, unless 4th and 1 or losing late in the 4th.

# 9 xV3L0CiTY @ 10/03/08 11:13 AM
1. You can't play Madden until a second patch is released a month after initial release of the game.

(I kid, I kid)

# 10 onebmf044 @ 10/03/08 11:21 AM
I of course follow these same house rules, but if im sitting around with a couple of buddies and playing it is always random teams, even on NCAA

# 11 PlatinumJuice @ 10/03/08 01:50 PM
house rule:

You can't pick your team... randomize three times and choose from those three, using their playbook... a couple years ago madden had a great feature called 'fair play' which wouldn't allow you to go for it o n 4th down unless it was realistic... lasts years didnt have it but we played it like it was on...

# 12 bsubenvis @ 10/05/08 05:45 PM
The QB sneak still works like crazy even after the supposed patch update, wasnt one of the things they were going to fix? That should be banned period.

# 13 kehlis @ 10/05/08 05:56 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by bsubenvis
The QB sneak still works like crazy even after the supposed patch update, wasnt one of the things they were going to fix? That should be banned period.
wasn't supposed to be fixed by the patch...

# 14 starpower21 @ 08/08/11 05:11 PM
Madden House Etiquette Rules

1. You have to punt or try a field goal attemp the ball on 4th and more than 5 except in the 4th quarter.

2. Cannot go for onside kicks if you are winning the game.

3. You have to give up the sticks if you are loosing by 21 points or more.

# 15 mrprice33 @ 08/08/11 09:09 PM
e p i c bump.

# 16 kwabalicious @ 08/08/11 09:44 PM
No moving defensive-linemen and linebackers to the other side of the field for a blitz. That pisses me off so bad.

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.