Home
Feature Article
MLB 09: The Show - Always Room for Improvement

*One side note before beginning this article: I will be talking exclusively about non-gameplay fixes to keep things somewhat brief.*

In my franchise, Game 5 of the Division Series has just ended and the Tampa Bay Rays have just won its third game, moving the squad one step closer to the American League Championship. This should be a joyous time for a gamer. I'll now be able to sit back and watch the dugout and bullpen empty, as they all run at full speed waving their hands and tossing their gloves off as they engulf closer Troy Percival on the mound. However, there's one huge problem here. The cut-scene begins and lasts for about two seconds before the normal "end of game" summary is given by Matt Vasgersian. I think I noticed what seemed to be my Rays, but unfortunately I must have blinked just once, which made me miss the whole celebration.

This is what has inspired me to write about what I think might make an already great game an even better one. After all, doesn't battling through a 162-game season and five playoff games entitle me to a bit more team jubilation? Even if it is just the ALDS.

Obviously, first and foremost on my MLB 09: The Show list is enhanced celebrations. Bottles of champagne being opened and sprayed in the clubhouse, a trophy being carried around on the field, or maybe Bud Selig announcing the World Series MVP in front of a microphone to the fans that stuck around?

Another annoyance that comes with my acute attention for detail is the catcher lacking the ability to toss aside his mask, be it on pop ups or plays at home plate. I like the editing option where you’re able to choose which mask to put on your catcher; I'd just like to see him throw it aside once in a while.

Weather seems to big a big concern for many gamers in '08 and I must say that I agree with them on this one. Adding more clouds, a slight drizzle, or heavy rain causing the grounds crew to rush onto the field with the tarp once in a while would be nice additions. I suppose most gamers might simply fast forward through this by repeatedly hitting the X button but I would sure welcome the delay or cancellation (plus it would add more double headers to the schedule). Gusty wind is a common factor while playing in either San Francisco or Chicago and there is no need to mess with perfection there, but how about programming cold breath coming from the players in April and October (depending on the location of the game of course).

The next welcomed addition would be the ability to use a 40-man roster in September. I'm assuming that the coding written into the game causes issues for 40-man rosters, but I think having September feel more realistic would be the cat's meow.

Customizable walk-up music for the batters and the option of choosing what uniform to wear for each game would also be nice touches next year. While I'm on the topic of uniforms let's discus the sleeve issue. Nothing bothered me more than using the Rays for an entire year and not being able to have B.J. Upton rock his one full sleeve during home games. The fact that the Rays play in a dome makes all players go sleeveless; then when they play a road game they wear only long sleeves because most games take place at night. This means that during a 162-game season I only got to see my perfectly customized Upton wear his one long sleeve in a handful of Sunday games that were played outdoors.

Last but most certainly not least is having more gear for player editing. Sunglasses, cleats, tapped wrists, and even baggier pants would be a nice start. Changing the brim of a hat, protective wrist and/or hand braces, and about 25 more hairstyles could really have a positive influence. As long as you could see the new gear more than just on Sunday's outdoors.

Gameplay issues aside, what are some other surrounding elements you folks want to see improved for '09?

Member Comments
# 1 ckarlic @ 10/08/08 02:18 PM
Great write-up Kris..I agree with all the additions and gripes you bring to the forefront.

# 2 RaychelSnr @ 10/08/08 02:22 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckarlic
Great write-up Kris..I agree with all the additions and gripes you bring to the forefront.
I agree, most of these additions would be cool minor tweaks to the game to add so much to the atmosphere and depth. The weather stuff I would especially love to see.

# 3 magoo1967 @ 10/08/08 03:09 PM
Good article, I definitely agree that the post season celebrations are somewhat lacking. As the author stated, after playing through a grueling 162 game season, it would be nice to see more of a "big deal" made when your team advances in the playoffs (perhaps even some "wallowing in tears" if you lose).

On a whole I'd love to see the entire post season atmosphere tweaked to make it feel "bigger" than the regular season games. Perhaps some beefed-up pre & post game presentations that only happen during the playoffs. It might even be cool to add one or two "national" broadcasters to the booth just for the post season play by play (not saying to get rid of Matt necessarily, but perhaps add a couple of the Fox, TBS or ESPN guys to make it seem more authentic).

Lastly I would love to see them add a separate Post Season mode, where we can set up the brackets with any 8 teams we choose & then have the ability to play out or simulate whichever games we want to.

# 4 asu666 @ 10/08/08 03:11 PM
It's too late in the development cycle for most of these to be included if they are not already working on them. I expect changing weather, sunsets, and mascots to be in MLB 09. I'm not sure what elese they will fit in this year. I'd be happy to not have the roster changing glitch that causes users to have to start a Franchise, simulate Spring Training, and back out to change between minor league and major league rosters. You've listed out some good ideas. Presentation is key when someone is planning on playing through whole MLB seasons of a game.

# 5 Skyboxer @ 10/08/08 03:20 PM
I'm a huge baseball gaming fan and the one thing I want more than anything is a true zone hitting system or an accurate cursor hitting system. I prefer zone.

# 6 LingeringRegime @ 10/08/08 03:35 PM
I agree with Skyboxer, cursor hitting system is so awesome.

# 7 PsychoBulk @ 10/08/08 03:47 PM
Nice little article Chris.

There is plenty of things to improve on 08 (despite its greatness) and im 100% sure SCEA will be scanning these boards as ever looking at what the people want.

Roll on March

# 8 hapa17 @ 10/08/08 04:45 PM
can we please PLEASE have realistic body types for managers??? lou pinella, mike scioscia, and all the other big-gut managers haven't been that svelte in decades! and how about a team jacket on em instead of a plain uniform. it's been documented that terry francona has been asked to wear his uniform when managing. he argues that he has a circulatory problem that requires him to bundle up in the outer-wear jackets, etc. in other words, we should almost never see francona in a full bosox uni during a mound visit.

i know this is purely cosmetic, but when you're trying to immerse yourself in a fantasy world and the manager trots out there looking nothing like his real life counterpart, you're ripped from the fantasy! The Show does such a great job in most aspects, but when i see that lean lou pinella paying a mound visit, i suddenly realize that i'm not at wrigley; i'm in my boxers on my recliner at 3 a.m. playing a video game (LOSER!).

please don't remind me that i'm a loser!

# 9 DubTrey1 @ 10/08/08 04:45 PM
Great article - great points - great game. I agree with all points made here and would like to also see eye black to be added, along with real time animated flags in the outfield indicating wind speed, direction etc. I would also like to see the uni options to include really baggy outfits (like those worn by Manny, E.Gagne & P.Fielder for ex.) in order to really capture the look of alot of players currently.

# 10 e0820 @ 10/08/08 04:46 PM
I could care less about sunglasses and sleaves. The catcher tossing his mask would be cool to see but I think the major additions should be Dynamic Sun (go from sunny to dark or move the sun to bring out the late game shadows), Weather and 40 man rosters.

# 11 BDKiiing @ 10/08/08 05:01 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by e0820
I could care less about sunglasses and sleaves. The catcher tossing his mask would be cool to see but I think the major additions should be Dynamic Sun (go from sunny to dark or move the sun to bring out the late game shadows), Weather and 40 man rosters.
yes lighting and tossing the mask are two big things but equipment...that needs to be more realistic...look at some of the stuff players wear during the games....right Carew?...we play the game good but lets make the little details better haha

# 12 mjh91 @ 10/08/08 05:25 PM
I agree with everything. I hope they re-evaluate the Post Season; beef up the crowd (make it noisier) make it noticeable that this isn't the Regular Season. In Franchise, let us pick which uniforms we want to wear that game. Rain delays, different scheduled times in Franchise (not 1 or 7). More choices for equipment.

# 13 countryboy @ 10/08/08 06:04 PM
great write-up and I agree 1000%. The only thing I would add is the roster management that is/was available in the ASB series. (Rule 5, option years, waivers,etc...)

Now that along with what you asked for would truly be the cat's meow.

# 14 mlblover15 @ 10/08/08 07:01 PM
how about getting rid of the ivisible walls to dug outs, etc... so that not only we can see the players actually going in after an inning but mabye once in a blue moon have a player make a diving, or sliding catch into the dugouts, camera pens, and hey even the stands.. that would be cool

# 15 Revolution42 @ 10/08/08 07:08 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by countryboy
great write-up and I agree 1000%. The only thing I would add is the roster management that is/was available in the ASB series. (Rule 5, option years, waivers,etc...)

Yes...I'm with ya on this..****le 5, options and waivers...40 man in September...these would all be great additions. As far as the article is concerned....very good, I would like to see all the enhancements that were mentioned.

# 16 asu666 @ 10/08/08 07:28 PM
Quote:

I'd go for that too. Good additions.

# 17 carlivar @ 10/08/08 07:50 PM
Online leagues with friends AND CPU teams! I was doing this with High Heat Baseball back in 1999... games haven't advanced since then?

# 18 zippy2212 @ 10/08/08 08:19 PM
Quote:

It always amazed me that ASB 05 had a better franchise mode then the new games. I've said it before I would rather have the Rule 5, 10/5 no trade, waivers, etc. then have to worry about ticket prices and promotions.

# 19 EnigmaNemesis @ 10/08/08 08:25 PM
I agree with your improvements Kris.

I would also like to see Dynamic Lighting going from dusk to night, and lights coming on, etc.

I would also like them to improve the atrocious lag online, and make it a true online game, versus the p2p (peer to peer) 2-player mode over the web that it feels like. Especially not being able to select behind pitcher view when throwing to someone you play against.

It feels like a 2 player game on one console, just tunneled through the internet. Where it needs to be more like MVP and 2K where you can have any player angles set to your client, and someone else have their own.

Catchers throwing signs would also be a nice touch, ball and bat boys. And vendors walking isles, and collision detection in the field and breaking up the double play!

# 20 EnigmaNemesis @ 10/08/08 08:30 PM
To add, I would like the ability to place players on the DL at will, claim off waivers, and have a 3-4 team trade!

Also, actual Minor League stadiums would be great, as well as overhauled Spring Training stadiums.

« Previous1234Next »

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.