Home
Feature Article
The Abomination That is Madden Nation

I may be a little late to this party, but have pity on me. After all, I’m old.

This past week, I sat in my less-than-stellar hotel room in Norwalk, Conn., wearily searching for something to watch on television. A frequent business traveler these days, my few meager hours of free time are spent watching drivel on limited hotel cable packages, rather than being spent throwing long TD passes and running a mean spread option offense from my couch. Truly tragic stuff.

This week, I came across the ESPN program Madden Nation. Now, I have seen this program before, but I had never really looked at it with an analytical eye. For those unfamiliar with the show, the idea is simple: set up a reality-style television show pitting the "best" Madden players against each other in an elimination tournament, all while touring the country and visiting some of the NFL’s most prominent stadiums. Sounds great, in theory. Execution, however, is another animal altogether.

The terms "cheese" and "cheesers" get thrown around a lot in sports gaming, and Madden Nation is nothing if not a celebration of marquee "cheesery." While hardcore OS Madden gamers spend hours making their gameplay not only dominant, but realistic, ESPN has deemed it appropriate to showcase a gaggle of gamers whose offense consists of a perfected (and perpetual) roll-and-chuck. It is, in a single word, abhorrent.

Madden Nation....an abomination.

Although I often times feel like Andy Rooney when I speak out against the rampant cheese that has consumed Madden, I feel that it is highly necessary that I continue to do so. To me, utilizing the idiosyncrasies of Madden to gain an unrealistic advantage is sacrilege. It is no different than using the BxR glitch in Halo 2. It’s not strategy, no sir. It’s cheap and underhanded, and to reward such tactics with a national television show that celebrates them is an insult -- far be it from a vehement insult, but an insult nonetheless.

The first episode that I viewed featured a spirited contest between two players, one using the Cincinnati Bengals, the other, my beloved Chicago Bears. The game played out like the old NFL Blitz on speed: Quarterbacks were in shotgun formations flitting around (and eventually out of) the pocket like gnats, firing darts across their bodies to receivers. The Bears even scored a TD with Rex Grossman (that’s correct, the correct depth charts weren’t even used) on a 2-yard QB sneak where he hurdled over the offensive line. My knuckles grew a rancorous shade of white after only 10 minutes of viewing.

Madden Nation celebrates everything that is wrong with competitive Madden play. To reduce the game to a half-assed offensive pyrotechnic show is simply revolting. Not only is it a reminder of the many online contests where I faced such deplorable antics, but it is also the face of EA Sports’ quest to appeal to the lowest common denominator: the feared "casual" gamer market. Casual football fans/gamers want to see a lot of points, and lots of big plays. They don’t share our appreciation for a well-laid gameplan and intelligent playcalling. They would rather see a 70-yard bomb than a perfectly set up play-action pass, capping off a run-driven 70-yard drive. Madden Nation is a perfect fit for the casual gamer, tied up neatly in a banter-filled realty show package. It is poignant for the masses, rubbish for those who know better.

The worst part of Madden Nation is that it is a constant reminder that the game we love is imperfect. As much as we would like it to be a flawless interpretation of the NFL action we consume on chilly fall Sundays, it is tragically, faulty. Sadder still is the fact that gamers like these Madden Nation contestants, these Gluttons of the Glitch, will almost always have the upper hand over we cerebral game-planners. As long as the game will allow it, we will play second fiddle to those gaudy, braggadocios dimwits who love them some deep ball.

Suffice it to say, my eyes will not be glued to the screen when Madden Nation next airs on ESPN, and neither should yours.

Madden NFL 09 Videos
Member Comments
# 1 Synkopated @ 10/20/08 04:46 PM
Madden Nation is a disgrace. EA should just fire the beta testers and have Madden Nation play the game to find all the glitches and exploits.

# 2 tyler289 @ 10/20/08 05:17 PM
The worst part about it is that they rewards these jokesters with cash prizes and some of them even get hired.

# 3 f3niks @ 10/20/08 05:22 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by tyler289
The worst part about it is that they rewards these jokesters with cash prizes and some of them even get hired.
Exactly. I find it rather funny watching the guys that play on there. They run same 2 to 3 plays per game yet act as if they have some sort of strategy when they play their games.

# 4 PaulZweber @ 10/20/08 05:25 PM
These are the kind of people that EA caters to, and designs the game for. Any person that even attempts to play a SIM game online knows exactly what you are going through. This kind of play is encouraged...I find it funny that when people complain about EA's lack of dedication to realism and SIM gamers, that people on this board kick and scream saying "of course EA isn't perfect, but they are trying..." I myself have complained many times about EA and who they make the game for, and gotten bashed by Mods and others. Great post, I completely agree with you.

# 5 alighteye @ 10/20/08 06:07 PM
I understand where you guys are coming from but this is the way guys play for money and tourneys.

# 6 PaulZweber @ 10/20/08 06:17 PM
You have to to know plays and audibles that they do.

# 7 asu666 @ 10/20/08 06:51 PM
I believe Madden Nation to be the high point of everything that is wrong with Madden football. Too much focus on the five minute quarter crowd. It used to be that the QB would come to the line, make adjustments, and give the defense a chance to react to the formation. With Madden 09 we see that EA thought it was okay if the QB ran to the line and snapped the ball on every play so the five minute crowd wouldn't have to wait a few seconds to simulate the chess match that happens in real life before the snap. I liked it a lot more when holding down X or A was there for the cheese crowd and the games were built more to simulate the flow of the actual sport. I know the patch helped this issue, but everyone who put down their cash for Madden 09 bought what was on the disc and that was clearly not simulation football. EA is a master at making simulation fans believe that "this is finally the year" and then crushing their souls with yet another sub par release.

When I purchased ESPN NFL 2K5 brand new for $20 I thought this is it. 2K just raised the bar and EA will have to answer the call. This means all of the people buying these games are going to be the real winners. Then the rug was pulled out and I'm still playing a couple of games of 2K5 every weekend for going on 5 years now.

# 8 realtalktruth @ 10/20/08 07:04 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptialG
Geez,I swear some of you guys whine too ****ing much. If it's fun for those guys to get up there and play the game like that,that's their goddamned business.
truth, and this "operations sports" article which is just a glorified forum post on the front page is no exception.

The Abomination That is "Anti-Cheese" Heads

truth of the matter is its a video game. there are no real players in the game who do not want to get injured, think for themselves and know whats going on when they are on the field. video games are run on a system and its just code where random occurrences happen for whatever reason.

their is no heart in video games and what makes it worse is despite much "anti-cheese" criticisms the game takes out real nfl realism to cater to "anti-cheeseheads". do they care, no all their worried about is what does not benefit them.

in order to be good at this video game you can't act like a coach, a coach has humans to rely on who have logic, no you have to beat the system. crying and whining because you can't use your video game coaching skills like you would in real life to beat someone who is actually playing a video game gets you nowhere. either stop playing to be competitive and look for your type of game by your type of opponent or learn to adjust to the game.

# 9 PaulZweber @ 10/20/08 07:10 PM
^ If you had been around the series long enough, and played earlier reditions of Madden, you would know that the game was not originally made for cheesers.

Most of the "cheesers" I have met didn't play Madden on SNES or PS, just newer games. I know when I was young I didn't look to find ways I could cheat my friends and the game. Maybe that is a problem with online in general, people don't put a face and personality to the person they are cheating out of time and money.

# 10 DirtyJerz32 @ 10/20/08 07:12 PM
This is the reason why EA & Madden will never try to improve the gameplay to appear more of a sim game. The people in Madden Nation are the reason why the sell so many copies each year. They are the reason why we are not getting any DLC. Why should EA & Madden put time into making 09 more of a sim game when so many people are buying the game only to be better cheesers.

That's why I can't wait until 2K & VC makes a football game again. Good luck to us all.

# 11 auburntigersfan @ 10/20/08 07:33 PM
I understand why it upsets you, but it is just a television show, nothing to get all worked up about. Everyone here knows all you have to do if find a good group of guys to play with and you can avoid those problems all together.

# 12 yamabushi @ 10/20/08 07:42 PM
A good article, but its nothing that hasnt been said 100x before.
Broken gameplay leads to broken game play.

# 13 kehlis @ 10/20/08 07:45 PM
i dont think this show would bother people if we didn't feel like the overall game was geared to people that play that way.

# 14 asu666 @ 10/20/08 07:48 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by vickhalloffame
truth, and this "operations sports" article which is just a glorified forum post on the front page is no exception.

The Abomination That is "Anti-Cheese" Heads

truth of the matter is its a video game. there are no real players in the game who do not want to get injured, think for themselves and know whats going on when they are on the field. video games are run on a system and its just code where random occurrences happen for whatever reason.

their is no heart in video games and what makes it worse is despite much "anti-cheese" criticisms the game takes out real nfl realism to cater to "anti-cheeseheads". do they care, no all their worried about is what does not benefit them.

in order to be good at this video game you can't act like a coach, a coach has humans to rely on who have logic, no you have to beat the system. crying and whining because you can't use your video game coaching skills like you would in real life to beat someone who is actually playing a video game gets you nowhere. either stop playing to be competitive and look for your type of game by your type of opponent or learn to adjust to the game.
vickhalloffame? The name says it all.

I've got some ideas, let's put Vick on the cover of Madden 2010 to help EA appeal to the core want-a-be street thug crowd. We could throw gold fronts in there as download content. Maybe hire some of the guys from Blitz to help "improve" the gameplay.

If 2K football was still around this wouldn't even be an issue because people would have a viable alternative to turn to on an annual basis. The NFL and EA made a decision to go exclusive and they are letting down simulation fans with stripped down products and questionable (read cheesey) gameplay.

# 15 Tweeg @ 10/20/08 07:48 PM
Right on brother

# 16 DJ @ 10/20/08 07:54 PM
Will, you need to get a PSP so you can play some MLB 08 The Show or some Madden while you are traveling.

You are spot-on about this show. I've seen it a few times and cringe at the "highlights." The guys run the same play over and over on offense. The last time I saw the show, one of the players dropped all 11 guys back into coverage...what a joke.

The show definitely highlights more negatives than positives with Madden, and if these are the guys you run into online, then I'm glad I don't play online.

# 17 SoxFan01605 @ 10/20/08 08:05 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by asu666

I've got some ideas, let's put Vick on the cover of Madden 2010 to help EA appeal to the core want-a-be street thug crowd. We could throw gold fronts in there as download content. Maybe hire some of the guys from Blitz to help "improve" the gameplay.

If 2K football was still around this wouldn't even be an issue because people would have a viable alternative to turn to on an annual basis. The NFL and EA made a decision to go exclusive and they are letting down simulation fans with stripped down products and questionable (read cheesey) gameplay.
lol...well the first paragraph was pretty uncalled for. I actually know people who are Falcons fans who were once Vick fans and they aren't "want-a-be street thugs" but I won't spend too much more time on that silliness.

Actually, I think Vickhalloffame has a very valid point. We all know what Madden is and has been for some time now. Why get mad at people who play it for that, enjoy it for that, and make money for that? You or I, assuming we had the "Madden skills" to pull it off, have no less opportunity to win than they do. Anyone kind find and execute these exploits if they really want to. IMO, anyone who goes into a Madden tourny expecting a football competition is either brain dead or has been living under a rock for a few years. Again, we all know what Madden is. I find it as rediculous as anyone and refuse to continue a game with anyone who plays like that, but I guess it just doesn't offend me on a personal level. I think it was Kehlis who said something to the effect of this wouldn't generate so much anger if the game was less disappointing. He's probably right.

As for your second paragraph, I agree. I think another part of the anger is 2K fans lost their game to what many feel is an inferior product. That alone generates anger, but coupled with the fact that Madden hasn't even lived up to it's own "last gen" standards makes it a tough pill to swallow. Competition would equal a strong 2K product and a better Madden. This is not the case though, so we have to hope Ian puts his new position to good use and delivers on his rather lofty goals. We'll see.

# 18 realtalktruth @ 10/20/08 08:19 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by asu666

wow, you sure showed me. didn't counter any of my points or bring in any intelligent points, as a matter of fact you didn't bring anything at all to the discussion to tell you the truth, but you did make fun of my username so its all cool.

the fact of the matter is the article is a waste of time(just a regular forum post) and wrong on so many levels. madden nation gets the best players to play against each other. are there any "anti-cheese" heads who are the best? no, so they are not on the show.

maybe if you people stopped complaining about a video game t.v. show and your opponents tactics you could step your game up so you could get on madden nation and show them how a true "sim" gamer plays football. no? your just going to complain about the game on a video game forum? well whatever works.

# 19 casbruce @ 10/20/08 08:40 PM
Anyone know how they actually determine who the so-called "best madden players" are for this show? Do they look at online stats?

# 20 RedskinsGM2B @ 10/20/08 09:38 PM
Despite ANY other comment in this thread, this article is surgically accurate! I agree that EA HAS indeed been pouring more & more of it's focus and resources into this exact type of community that is nothing less than a country club attempt at "thuggery" and "gangsta" "playas"...OVER A VIDEO GAME!!! But, it's OUR video! And it has been RAPED of it's innocence and purity. It is now poisoned with glitz & glamour just like some cheap shiny "bling" to attract the masses that will dive in and study, research & disect the game to reveal it's every weakness and hole. WHY? You know why. So, they can go out and jump online and call all "2" plays of their strategy and exploit every game glitch that they found or that they read about. Why oh why...WHY don't they commit such diligence toward scholastics?? Honestly, how many NFL games have you seen that the QB drops back 30 flippin' yards?! This is the style that is common and accepted amongst these youngsters. Suffice it to say, they'll never become football coaches...that win.
Here! Here! I applaud this article. Nice to see some old dogs still fighting the good fight.

« Previous12345Next »

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.