Home
Feature Article
The MLB 08 Hot Stove Report

For a lot of MLB fans, the offseason is all they can look forward to. After watching their squads get trounced in September, landing a big free agent or making a big trade can do wonders for a fan base's psyche.

It has been a relatively quiet offseason so far, but that is likely to change in the very near future. I simmed the MLB offseason in MLB 08: The Show for PS3. This is what transpired.

(Note: I did not make any of the moves that already happened. For example, Matt Holliday is still with the Rockies. Also, the New York Yankees won the World Series over the Phillies in the season I simulated.)

Just like in real life, Nick Swisher was acquired by a New York team -- only this time it was to play center field for the New York Mets.

C.C. Sabathia re-signed with the Milwaukee Brewers. The Brew Crew also got Ben Sheets back. Looks like the Yankees are not going to raid their staff after all.

Manny Ramirez stayed with Los Angeles. In other words, he gets to torment Joe Torre for three more years. No word on whether his dreadlocks signed as well.

The Yankees added another bat to their lineup, stealing David Ortiz from the Red Sox. They already won the World Series, do they want to kill the opposing pitchers, too? At least their pitching staff is weak: Hughes, Wang, Pettitte, Kennedy and Rasner make up the rotation. Either way, With that lineup it probably would not matter who is tossing on the mound.

Rafael Furcal went from LA to Toronto for $20 million a year. Note to Toronto: Just because you can give out big contracts like the Yankees, does not mean it is enough to compete with the Yankees.

Detroit is also going for glory, signing Carlos Beltran to join Magglio Ordonez and Miguel Cabrera in an already stacked lineup.

Mark Teixeira and Francisco Rodriguez both stayed in Anaheim. It looks like the Angels want to win another World Series during this decade.

Big Papi to be in pinstripes? Say it ain't so!

Biggest Winners

New York Yankees - They win the World Series over the Phillies and still acquire David Ortiz. They did not get that big-time starting pitcher they needed, but it is hard to imagine them not being in contention for another World Series appearance.

Milwaukee Brewers - They re-signed C.C. Sabathia and Ben Sheets. Expect them to make a big leap this year with a full season for C.C. and a dormant offseason for the Cubs.

Los Angeles Angels
- If anyone doubted the Angels ability to pay up, they better check again. Re-signing Mark Teixeira and K-Rod definitely gives them enough firepower to compete with the big boys in the American League.

Minnesota Twins
- Just because you are a small-market team does not mean you have to be terrible. Teams like Pittsburgh and Kansas City should take notice. Minnesota improved on a solid season by adding Stephen Drew to their lineup, along with a returning Scott Baker and a healthy Francisco Liriano.

Arizona Diamondbacks
- They may have lost Stephen Drew, but they kept everyone else in their lineup, including Adam Dunn. Their top-flight pitching staff is still intact with Max Scherzer joining the rotation full time. Look out for Rufus Haas, he is already garnering Rookie of the Year buzz at shortstop.

Biggest Losers

New York Mets - They lost Carlos Beltran to free agency and Moises Alou to retirement. Their rotation is just as old as last year and their bullpen is just as bad. After a season in which they did not make the playoffs, their biggest acquisition is Nick Swisher? Expect the Mets to take a backseat to Philadelphia once again.

Boston Red Sox - Their biggest acquisition? Getting rid of Jason Varitek. However, they lost David Ortiz in the process. Their lineup might be fine but they will miss the leadership that both those guys brought. Their pitching will still be good enough to compete night in and night out.

Philadelphia Phillies - In a year they made it to the World Series, they do not have much to show for in the offseason. Luckily for the Phillies, the Mets and Braves did not make any major moves, so Philadelphia will most likely repeat in the NL East.

Chicago Cubs - They did not lose anybody, but they did not sign anybody either. In a season where you won a lot of games but did nothing past beyond that, the Cubs definitely should have added another solid outfield bat. Instead they will be trotting out Reed Johnson every day, hoping for the best.

Seattle Mariners - In a season of futility, you would think that the Mariners would do something to try and stay competitive. Instead, they have gotten worse, losing Adrian Beltre and signing Tony Clark. Expect another long season in the Northwest.

If this were all to really happen, the opening of Citi Field would be just as bittersweet as the closing of Shea Stadium. It seems the Yankees are back in charge in the majors and everything is back in order in the NL East. Hopefully the Tampa Bay Rays can derail the virtual Yankees just like they did the real Red Sox.

Who do you think will get Sabathia and Teixiera? Are the Mariners that bad? Do the Cubs need to make a big move? Can the Mets make it back to compete with the Phillies? Sound off in the comment box below.

Member Comments
# 1 Knight165 @ 12/08/08 10:50 AM
Great stuff.
I love the off season moves.
What team were you controlling?

M.K.
Knight165

# 2 Garrett67 @ 12/08/08 11:37 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Knight165
Great stuff.
I love the off season moves.
What team were you controlling?

M.K.
Knight165
You have to remember, Chris usually doesn't write these articles.

(Chris, you should mention that in your posts).

# 3 EnigmaNemesis @ 12/08/08 01:46 PM
Great article.

Beside the wonderful community. It is things like this that get me coming back here all day every day.

Though my end of season RttS had Jeter on the Sox for 09 when the Yanks let him go. I saved it before I could redo it unfortunately. Didn't notice it till after.

One thing I wish they would fix in the trade logic, is inner division rivals, like Yankees and Red Sox trading mid season with one another. I always would cross my fingers they didnt trade, and somehow I would get stuck with them doing so.

# 4 RaychelSnr @ 12/08/08 04:28 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Garrett67
You have to remember, Chris usually doesn't write these articles.

(Chris, you should mention that in your posts).
He was replying to the author Garrett..

# 5 Jeru3131 @ 12/08/08 06:57 PM
Boring article. I usually enjoy these but if you're not gonna put the effort to do the trades that happened, why waste your time and my time. What's next? A big article on your nba2k draft?

# 6 Jeru3131 @ 12/08/08 07:00 PM
I just read it again to be sure. Now you owe me five minutes of my life.

# 7 Jeru3131 @ 12/08/08 07:03 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeru3131
I just read it again to be sure. Now you owe me five minutes of my life. Did you really make a big article about YOUR the show franchise offseason? Holy shiite muslim.
I'm writing an article soon about my created players MVP season in Nba2k. Should be a great read.

# 8 Marino @ 12/08/08 07:04 PM
Quote:
Boring article. I usually enjoy these but if you're not gonna put the effort to do the trades that happened, why waste your time and my time. What's next? A big article on your nba2k draft?
Quote:
I just read it again to be sure. Now you owe me five minutes of my life. Did you really make a big article about YOUR the show franchise offseason? Holy shiite muslim.
Quote:
I'm writing an article soon about my created players MVP season in Nba2k. Should be a great read.

# 9 Chavez21 @ 12/08/08 09:08 PM
This wasn't an article about MY franchise simulated offseason. I simmed a generic franchise offseason where I didn't control anything so we can all see what transpired and if it compared at all to what is coming. Why would I do the trades that already happened when the whole point was to see what the game did in its offseason?

Why do people read stories about who Madden '09 picks for the Super Bowl? It is the same thing.

PS. An NBA Draft article wouldn't be a bad idea in June assuming the game had real rookies entering. Thanks for the idea.

# 10 ferriscj24 @ 12/08/08 11:34 PM
Perfect...another bat for my Tigers...umm...pitching please!?

# 11 Jgainsey @ 12/08/08 11:34 PM
Quote:
You really had to read it twice? If that's the case I think you're only entitled 2 and a half minutes of your life back. It's not the author's fault you have the reading comprehension of a 7 year old.

# 12 BlyGilmore @ 12/09/08 12:09 PM
great job Richard! You haven't truly arrived on the Internet until somebody mindlessly flames you! At the next meeting we'll give you your Flame Shield Merit Badge.

# 13 Nyrican127 @ 12/09/08 04:58 PM
btw the picture says big papi to the yankees but its a picture of manny ramirez

# 14 ChaseB @ 12/09/08 07:50 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nyrican127
btw the picture says big papi to the yankees but its a picture of manny ramirez
Ortiz decided to start hitting right-handed and also changed his number. You didn't hear?

# 15 walezy @ 12/10/08 05:18 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChaseB
Ortiz decided to start hitting right-handed and also changed his number. You didn't hear?
aha
great call

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.