Home
Feature Article
NHL 09: The Lonely Defenseman

If there is anything rarer than seeing a human goalie between the pipes for an EASHL game, it is seeing two defensemen on the back line who do not:

1. Whine endlessly about being stuck in a position they do not want to play.

2. Give up a ton of scoring opportunities to the other team because they have no clue how to play the position.

But, if you are one of the few Bash Brothers out there, crack open an ice-cold drink mister lonely EASHL defenseman.

You will not feel lonely anymore!

For it is your careful positioning and timely stick lifts that keep the puck out of our net and keep the fear running through the veins of opposing forwards as they wonder where you are coming from with that next concussion-inducing body check.

Please, no more smelling salts!

Here is to you, safe keeper of the lost defensive art, always waiting for the referee's back to turn so you can hit that 5-foot-7-inch 150-pound dangler so hard that he can no longer feel his own dingle berries.

Mister lonely EASHL defenseman!

That is right Mr. Defensemen, believe it or not, you are actually the most important part of a hockey team next to the center.

Defense, Defense, Defense

The fact is, if you do not have any good defenders, your team is not going to be any good, either.

But what separates a good defenseman from a poor one, aside from his attitude when doing the team's dirty work?

This article is here to answer that question and explain all the skills you will need if you are ready to shoulder the responsibility of being one of the most influential players on the ice.

Positioning

More than anything, it is poor defensive positioning that most often results in goal-scoring opportunities for the opposing team. Whether that poor positioning occurs because defenders roam too deep into the offensive zone and give up breakaways at the other end of the ice, or because they simply chase puck carriers too far into the neutral zone is anybody's guess.

But, here are some handy visuals to help players see exactly where they should be spending most of their time as a defenseman:

In the Offensive Zone

Defenders who venture below the outer edge of the face-off circles are simply playing too deep in the offensive zone and are liable to give up a scoring opportunity at the other end of the ice.

In addition to not venturing in too deep, defensemen should also provide help in the offensive zone by shadowing puck carriers in a straight line so that the forwards always have someone to kick the puck back out to if they need to escape the defensive pressure.

And, of course, one of the best parts of being a defenseman is blasting slap shots into a mess of bodies from the point position. At that point, you just hope that the goalie gets screened and cannot pick up the puck, or that the puck gets deflected into the goal, or the puck bounces off the goalie for an easy rebound shot.

In the Defensive Zone

Above all else, defenders must protect the interior part of the ice. A common mistake by novice defenders is to chase puck carriers out wide, leaving the high percentage scoring areas in the middle of the ice completely open for opposing forwards.

Instead of chasing the puck out wide, defenders must become content with letting the puck carriers skate around the perimeter while the defense locks down the more important middle portion of the ice and keeps it free from incoming forwards.

Reason being, it is the forward’s job -- not the defenseman’s -- to protect the high and wide portions of the defensive zone.

Following that same principle, defensemen must also resist the temptation to chase the puck behind the net because vacating the area directly in front of the net is the easiest way to give up a high-percentage shot to the other team.

Lastly, in the same way that defenders should form a straight-line "shadow" of their own forwards in the offensive zone, defenders will want to shadow the other team’s forwards as they attack the defensive zone. Shadowing the puck is a great way to create automated deflections that throw the puck off-line during an attempted shot/pass.

Defenders just need to make sure that when they are shadowing the puck carrier they do not accidentally screen their own goalie. This is because, aside from leaving the slot open, self-inflicted screens are one of the easiest ways a defense can give up a cheap goal.

Attacking the Puck

Even if a defender has a sound grasp of where to position himself on the ice, that positioning becomes useless if he does not know which moves to use to defend that space.

Obviously, the most basic impulse of a defender is to simply use the body check as his all-purpose cleaner.

While a squared-up body check is a solid tactic in most situations, a good defender must also know where and how to deliver a legal check without drawing a penalty.

Open-ice Hitting

Successful open-ice hitting really comes down to following three simple rules:

1. Do not hit anyone who does not have the puck (interference/cross checking).

2. Do not take more than three strides when lining up a hit (charging).

3. Do not run into a player from behind or at an angle that will launch him violently into the boards (checking from behind/boarding).

If defenders can follow these guidelines, and can make sure not to come in too late on a puck carrier who has just taken a shot, a good defenseman should be able to finish most games with double-digit hit totals while still taking zero penalties.

Defending the Crease

As broken down earlier, priority number one for all defenders is to keep the crease free of incoming skaters. Because the crease is such a high percentage scoring area, defenders are allowed to get physical with skaters trying to come inside for a shot.

However, it is important that defenders know where they can execute a legal hit.

As long as defenders can keep their body checks below the hash marks, above the goal line and between the face-off circles, they should never see an interference or cross checking penalty come their way.

Defenders should also be aware of the fact that they are only allowed to defend their crease when the opposing team has control of the puck. Initiating a hit of any kind while one’s own team has the puck is an automatic interference/cross checking penalty.

The exception to that rule comes into play when the referees have their back to the hit; in that case, feel free to attempt a cheap shot, because just like in real life, the refs have to see the penalty before they can whistle it. Just do not become too reliant on taking cheap shots, because sooner or later, you are probably going to get caught with your fists planted in an opposing skater’s chest.

Utilizing Your Entire Defensive Arsenal

Obviously, the solution to every defensive problem is not a body check.

Deflections, stick lifts and poke checks are all equally important in their own special situations.

While common sense can guide defenders through most of these situations, there is one common offensive strategy that every defender needs to know how to counter: the dreaded odd-man rush setting up for a one-timer.

The obvious rule in any odd-man rush is to always play the man closest to the net and passively ignore the player skating in at the wider angle.

Reason being, the player skating in at the wide angle is going to have the more difficult shot of the two, which makes it easier for the goalie to make the save if the wider of the two skaters ends up taking the shot.

When defending the player closer to the goal, the defender will ideally want to shadow that skater by standing directly in front of him and stick lifting the forward (defaults to "A" on the Xbox 360 controller) right before the pass can reach his stick.

But if the defender is ahead of the play and feels like he cannot skate in front of the one-timer recipient in time for a clean stick lift, then an acceptable alternative would be surging in for a body check at the last second to break up the play before the shot is fired. The disadvantage of the body check is that it takes both the defender and the shooter out of the play for a short while.

Finally -- and a good defender should never be caught in this situation in the first place -- if the defender is trailing the play and needs to make a desperation attempt to break up the one-timer, his best bet is to skate in behind the anticipated shooter and lunge in with a dive at the last second (left bumper and right bumper) to try to break up the pass.

This wraps up part two of our ongoing NHL 09 strategy series. To date, we have tackled goalie play and defensive play. Keep an eye out next week when we will be going over some offensive strategies that will help boost your point totals and ease the burden on your defense.

NHL 09 Videos
Member Comments
# 1 Qb @ 04/02/09 09:57 AM
I am eternally grateful to the guys on our squad that play D full-time. And they do it quite well, might I add. I'll hop back there every now & then if it's necessary, as we always want to play with 2 human D-men. But the guys that do it night after night are the real troopers...

# 2 N51_rob @ 04/02/09 10:33 AM
It's funny I had never played a game as a defense men in NHL 09. Then I had the "game of my life" as a defensemen, and I enjoyed it. I was able to keep the puck in the zone a few times got off a nice slap shot from the point, and played really well at the other end of the ice. I think that I will play there more often. I found the diagram of legal hitting areas helpful. I was mindful of the check because I didn't want to take to many penalties while on defense.

# 3 statnut @ 04/02/09 11:06 AM
"Defenders who venture below the outer edge of the face-off circles are simply playing too deep in the offensive zone and are liable to give up a scoring opportunity at the other end of the ice."

I have to disagree with this. A good offensive defenseman will recognize that there are opportunities to slip in for a quick shot below that mark, without getting caught. I play mostly defense for a good club, and no one has any problems with this.

# 4 allstar3970 @ 04/02/09 11:25 AM
i think a big issue regarding slot coverage is that a lot of forwards dont play D/backcheck, they're just waiting by the blueline for the puck to rush up ice, so dmen have to chase more than they would normally have to.

# 5 Scheib43 @ 04/02/09 12:57 PM
Ah, that's mighty nice of you Qb. I enjoy playing D on our team because we all move the puck and it's definitely a team effort. I am grateful for a center who wins faceoffs and puts the puck in the net and still takes care of his defensive responsibilities.

The guys who play D every night on their respective OTP teams realize that for a good OTP team you have to have a committed pair of defensemen who will sacrafice their offense at times to make sure the team isn't always playing from behind.

Also Statnut you are right there are definitely times where the D man can sneak into the offensive zone, but it takes a good team to make sure that your defensive partner then centers himself and plays back or that one of the forwards sees this and then covers the other point. I've played somewhere around 125-150 games with my defensive partner and at first I was frustrated at times with the way things were done by both him and I, but the more we played together, the more we realized tendencies like you would playing outside of NHL09 and now opponent breakaways are a thing of the past.

# 6 Qb @ 04/02/09 01:00 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scheib43
I am grateful for a center who wins faceoffs and puts the puck in the net and still takes care of his defensive responsibilities.
As Meatloaf once sang, "two outta three ain't bad..."

# 7 Methlab @ 04/02/09 02:03 PM
GREAT ARTICLE.

Also, a very high % goal is to drive in from the point with a skilled Dman as the opposing team's defense breaks down. Many times you get a clear shot 5 feet from the net for an upper 90 score. I have done this one countless times actually. The risk is giving up the break on the other end, but you will see your teammates screen their guys for you when you have a lane if you practice this in 5 on 5 practice mode.

Doing this in EAHL play would be a nice tactic.

# 8 blinkfan77 @ 04/02/09 06:30 PM
Also, if you are playing OTP, and you are a D-man, and you jump in the rush, a good teammate playing forward, or strong or weak side D, will shift over to cover your back when needed. This is why playing as a real team is so much fun and pays dividends. I LOVE playing Defense.

# 9 LanteriX @ 04/02/09 07:58 PM
I play pretty much textbook D, but I only enjoy it when I play with a club. Nothing like being completely left out of the game on the offensive end when you play with random OTPers that don't understand what a pass back to the point is.

# 10 tyler289 @ 04/02/09 10:24 PM
My EASHL team uses the defensemen a lot in the offensive zone, luckily we have 5-6 guys who always play defense. I'm a forward, and I try to keep them involved, and someone always covers.

# 11 rawgamer @ 04/03/09 04:50 AM
I'm primarily a forward, but since I have over 150 games on defense I grew to understand and appreciate how the everyday dmen grind it on a daily basis. If a talented offensively dman gets the puck and has a chance to score especially after a turnover you have to let them go for it. Circling around the neutral zone so that a forward skates it in usually just leads to a lesser scoring opportunity or a stupid turnover and you don't even register a shot at all. Many division one teams with their drama queen forwards are guilty of this as very few top teams really utilize their defense at all to their full potential. The teams that do are the elite teams.

# 12 FredoXV @ 04/03/09 08:36 AM
Although I have not yet ventured into the ranks of the EASHL, I have been playing a pretty lengthy be-a-pro mode as an offensive defenseman, and I have to say that your points are spot on.

The one point I do disagree with (slightly) is the position in the offensive zone. You are largely correct, however there are some instances when you can slip inside to a high-percentage area for a wrist shot or one-timer, and still be okay to retreat to the proper position. These opportunities occur mostly on the power play, but every so often (maybe twice a game), you can find a good scoring opportunity in 5-on-5 situations.

You really have to be certain though, because ill-timed advance or offensive zone turnover can be disastrous.

# 13 Money99 @ 04/03/09 09:44 AM
Great article.

I'm someone that enjoys playing Defense in EASHL.

I have a problem with pinching too often at times, but I try my best to play good D and jump in when I can.

# 14 fugazi @ 04/03/09 10:31 AM
sorry guys...i wish i had next gen and some free-time, bc i am a very good video game hockey defender and enjoy it. i would have absolutely no problem playing D all day.

# 15 WeLLWeLL @ 04/03/09 02:58 PM
I'm new to NHL 09 but I love playing D. In the be a pro mode I play D for my team and whenever I get into a team game online I have no problems with playing D. Maybe it's because I was a D pole in lax and the pleasure I got from protecting the net, laying out any midi or attacker as they came down the middle, and taking the ball across the field with the option to pass off or shoot is the reason why I heart D. If anybody needs someone to play D on their team I am up to the challenge, but like I said, I'm still pretty new to this game. GT: White Walls 420

# 16 event status @ 04/08/09 02:59 PM
I play Goalie and I can say without a doubt, that quality D-Men can be lifesavers. They definitely deserve more appreciation then shown. It takes a great amount of skill and dedication to play that position. To be able to stay in chemistry defensively with your Goalie, makes things alot easier on us Goalies, pressure wise.

The defensive set-ups and only giving the opposition a specific shot/angle, and all the Goalie has to do, is to be set in the right place will result in instant success.

# 17 flamingarmadilo @ 04/13/09 11:43 PM
I play only D for a very good and totally legit 360 club, the Pawtucket Patriots. This is a very good guide for a new D-man. As people have mentioned before, there are times where a good d-man can savely jump down low in the offensive zone, it just takes experience to know when those times are.

One thing I'd like to add from my real-life hockey and EASHL experience, is that when your defensive partner is winding up for a slapshot, and a guy is coming out to block it, or your partner is pinching the point, you should drop back to around the center faceoff dot in case the puck comes out off the block, or the pinch fails. I can't even count the number of times I have done this and stopped breakaways.

Also for me the safe hit zone extends all the way to the faceoff dots in the defensive zone, and hitting a guy during a one-timer is definitely the best defense. I stop an average of 4 sure goals a game this way.

# 18 kerosene31 @ 04/15/09 04:31 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by statnut
"Defenders who venture below the outer edge of the face-off circles are simply playing too deep in the offensive zone and are liable to give up a scoring opportunity at the other end of the ice."

I have to disagree with this. A good offensive defenseman will recognize that there are opportunities to slip in for a quick shot below that mark, without getting caught. I play mostly defense for a good club, and no one has any problems with this.
Communication is key on this obviously. I play D as well and I spend most of my time chained to the blueline firing bombs, but I will pinch when the situation dictates.

Whenever I go in, I check to make sure too many guys from the other team aren't behind me, and that someone from my team on the opposite side can get back.

As long as you play with forwards who are good at (and care about D), they will gladly cover your point while you move in as long as you tell them. Most of the guys on my team will tell me they have me covered as I pinch without me saying anything.

This also comes down to knowing your opponent. If you are playing a team with guys with a ton of speed attributes, I won't pinch. Not only will I not pinch, but I'll actually back out of the zone if a puck is close to being turned over.

By the way, I love playing D on EASHL (other than the glitches). I'm one of those players who has zero desire to play forward. There is nothing better than shutting down another team. The best is when you stop a cross crease cheese play and knock the shooter on his rear before he can get the shot off.

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.