Home
Feature Article
MLB 09: The Show Simulates the 2009 Season

MLB 09: The Show is marketed as the "most realistic baseball game" available today, but how realistic is it when compared to the real MLB season? While there is no way of knowing that until the real season is over, I used the most current rosters that are available online and simulated the MLB season on default settings to see what "the most realistic game" has to say about the '09 season, which just so happens to start this Sunday,

So, here is a quick rundown of what The Show predicts will happen during the '09 season.

Divisional Races

When it comes to the regular season, the NL East was tight as usual. The Phillies won the division again, but the Mets actually held their own and won the NL Wild Card. Surprisingly, San Diego won the NL West by eight games over the Dodgers. The Cubs won the Central by two games over St. Louis.

As expected, the AL East was very close. The Red Sox edged out Tampa Bay and the Yankees. However, Tampa Bay did win the Wild Card, which means the Bronx Bombers were the odd-men out. The Indians bounced back after a terrible 2008 and won the AL Central, and the Angels won the AL West for the fifth time in six years.

Individual Awards

American League

MVP
Carlos Pena
Tampa Bay Rays
53 HR
.310 AVG
125 RBI

Cy Young
Kelvim Escobar
Los Angeles Angels
21-6
3.31 ERA

Rolaids Relief Award
Troy Percival
Tampa Bay Rays
41 Saves
2.99 ERA

Rookie of the Year
2B Chris Getz
Chicago White Sox
.239 AVG
13 HR
64 RBI

National League

MVP
Albert Pujols
St. Louis Cardinals
50 HR
118 RBI

Cy Young
Chicago Cubs
Ryan Dempster
20-8
3.12 ERA

Rolaids Relief Award
San Diego Padres
Heath Bell
39 Saves
2.70 ERA

Rookie of the Year
C Angel Salome
Milwaukee Brewers
.261 AVG
11 HR
79 RBI

Retirees

After the season was over, some big names decided to hang up their cleats for good. The list includes a few future Hall of Famers as well.

Carlos Delgado
John Smoltz
Jorge Posada
Tom Glavine
Tim Wakefield
Jamie Moyer
Trevor Hoffman
Todd Helton

Playoffs

The NLDS and ALDS matchups were Phillies-Cubs, Mets-Padres, Rays-Indians and Angels-Red Sox. The Cubs finally made it out of the first round against the defending champs, and the Mets took down the Padres. Tampa Bay knocked out Cleveland and Boston beat the Angels in the playoffs, again.

The ALCS was a rematch of last year, with Tampa Bay facing off against Boston. The Rays did not fare as well as they did in 2008, losing in six games. In other words, Boston punched their third ticket to the World Series in six years. The New York Mets dumped the Chicago Cubs in five games and headed back to the World Series for the first time since 2000. Of course, this also meant Boston and New York faced off in a rematch of the infamous 1986 World Series.

In real life, New York would have brought out Mookie Wilson, Jesse Orosco, Keith Hernandez, Darryl Strawberry and every other pivotal Mets player from that classic, 23-year-old World Series. The virtual Mets did not have that option, nor did they have home-field advantage since the NL lost the All-Star Game. The Red Sox came into the matchup with World Series experience and a chip on their shoulder -- presumably relishing the opportunity to put the city of New York down one more time.

In seven games, in a rematch of the 1986 World Series, your 2009 World Series Champions: the Boston Red Sox. Mike Pelfrey tossed a stinker in Game 7 and John Smoltz threw a gem against his old rivals to win the title in Boston.

If this all comes to fruition, It would be the third title for Boston this decade. The futility of the city of New York would also be proved once again, with Boston now reigning supreme over both the Yankees and Mets.

If the "most realistic game" is right, it looks like everyone will have to wait until 2010 to get another shot at Beantown.

MLB '09: The Show Videos
Member Comments
# 1 The Gird @ 04/03/09 09:58 AM
hahaa AWESOME. As a Sox fan, hope it plays out this way in real life. Love the fact that Smoltzie won Game 7, thats why we got him. haha YANKEE's. Hows third taste again.

# 2 Bp2 Triz @ 04/03/09 10:01 AM
the red sox are so overrated in this game it makes me sick.

# 3 masterkembo @ 04/03/09 10:04 AM
I simmed 3 seasons last night just because I was bored and it seems as though the same teams are constantly getting in the playoffs.

3 Playoff Appearances

Boston
Tampa
Cleveland
California
Chicago
Philly

2 Playoff Apperances

St. Louis

1 Playoff Apperance

Milwaukee
L.A.
San Diego
Arizona

2009 World Series

Tampa Bay over Milwaukee

2010 World Series

Cleveland over St. Louis

So the only division with any turnover was the NL West. I hope it was a fluke that 6 of 8 playoff teams were in the playoffs all 3 years. 3 or 4 of the sames teams is ok but to have 6 teams 3 years running seems a bit high.

# 4 Theamazingtiny @ 04/03/09 10:29 AM
Well now we don't have to watch because we know what will happen!

# 5 The Gird @ 04/03/09 10:30 AM
what makes the sox over-rated Bp2? Let me guess, your a Yankee fan?

# 6 BuccaneerFan @ 04/03/09 10:56 AM
Carlos Pena will never hit .310 in a real season.

# 7 Speedy @ 04/03/09 11:03 AM
What's up with the ROY - especially those numbers...

# 8 Blzer @ 04/03/09 11:05 AM
This is blasphemy! Everything gets messed up when the A's and Angels only play day road games and the Cubs play many more night games! Blasphemy, I tell you!

Actually, I think I'm just depressed the Giants didn't get in while the Padres somehow snuck their way through.

# 9 PsychoBulk @ 04/03/09 11:10 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by BuccaneerFan
Carlos Pena will never hit .310 in a real season.
He hit .282 in 2007 so .310 really isnt beyond the realms of possibility.

# 10 Blzer @ 04/03/09 11:15 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by PsychoBulk
He hit .282 in 2007 so .310 really isnt beyond the realms of possibility.
.028 points in a batting average is quite a bit, I'm just saying. That separates the okay hitters from the good hitters. Another .028 points shows the greatest hitters.

I'm not saying it's impossible myself, but proof by example doesn't work here. If you showed a .303 average, then your argument would hold much more validity.

# 11 stlstudios189 @ 04/03/09 03:00 PM
not too unrealistic

# 12 green94 @ 04/03/09 03:05 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by WakeUnc2321
What's up with the ROY - especially those numbers...

Rookie of the Year
2B Chris Getz
Chicago White Sox
.239 AVG
13 HR
64 RBI

oof

# 13 Shinyhubcaps @ 04/03/09 03:17 PM
Too many 50-HR hitters, too much Padre love, and Angel Salome will not even play in the big leagues this year. Other than that, the simulation sounds fair enough.

# 14 KidFromNY @ 04/03/09 03:43 PM
Hmm. Sounds reasonable. Not how I'd like it, definitely, but it sounds very reasonable.

# 15 masterkembo @ 04/03/09 03:53 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by shigogouhou
Good sim, but with the money the Mets pay Santana there's no chance they make Mike Pelfrey the Game 7 starter.
Too bad in the playoffs, they don't put any priorty on pitching. It's still starters 1 through 5 just like the regular season. They don't even go down to a 4 man staff.

# 16 masterkembo @ 04/03/09 05:16 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerseySuave4
you wont see guys hitting 50+ HRs like that, plus Posada aint retiring after this year unless he had a career ending injury.
Why not? He's what 37/38 and played in 1500 career games - getting up there for a catcher. And he was injured last year which resulted in one of his worst seasons since becoming the starter there.

If he doesn't get going this year, I could see him retiring (unless of course, he's specifically said otherwise).

# 17 tabarnes19_SDS @ 04/03/09 05:50 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by masterkembo
Why not? He's what 37/38 and played in 1500 career games - getting up there for a catcher. And he was injured last year which resulted in one of his worst seasons since becoming the starter there.

If he doesn't get going this year, I could see him retiring (unless of course, he's specifically said otherwise).
He will not retire and walk away from 12 million dollars. He will be playing next year unless He has an injury where he can not play next year and the Yankees can cash in on the insurance policy ala Albert Belle.

# 18 Zorb @ 04/03/09 08:30 PM
The Cubs are so overrated it makes me sick!

# 19 njd.aitken @ 04/03/09 08:51 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnreyes
The simulation lost all credibility when I say Troy Percival win the Reliever of the year. Troy F****** Percival...hahahaha!
Or Escobar winning AL Cy Young.

# 20 dave_sz @ 04/03/09 11:58 PM
every time I sim I get different results but with same 3-4 teams getting into the 2009 playoffs every time. So I don't see the point of this, actually...

« Previous123Next »

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.