Home
Feature Article
OS NCAA 10 Preview: Big East

Parity rules in the Big East. For that simple reason it is very hard to predict what team will be Big East champs at the end of the year. Parity is also the reason why -- with a few breaks -- I could easily see a team like Louisville or UConn competing for the league championship.

But if I had to choose a favorite to win the conference, then it would have to be South Florida. However, Pittsburgh, Rutgers, West Virginia or Cincinnati could easily win the conference as well. Expect the Big East to be a very competitive conference, and for the winner to perhaps not even have 10 wins.

1. South Florida

In NCAA Football 10 USF is the top-rated team in the Big East -- B-plus ratings across the board. USF will have to travel to Rutgers and Pittsburgh, which will not be easy tasks. George Selvie (95 OVR) is an All-American type of player on defense, and QB Matt Grothe (91 OVR) is both experienced and talented. Following several quick starts during the past few years, look for the Bulls to finally take the Big East in 2009.

2. Rutgers

The Scarlet Knights possess a B-plus rating on defense, which is good because they will have to prove that defense wins championships this year. Rutgers does have four Big East road games, but they play their toughest games at home. The offensive line also happens to be stacked with talent -- LT Anthony Davis (93 OVR), Kevin Haslam (90 OVR) and Ryan Blaszczyk (89 OVR) anchor the beefy group of linemen.

3. Pittsburgh

The Panthers possess a B overall in NCAA Football. Their offense and defense both also come in at B. Unfortunately for Pittsburgh fans, the Panthers must travel to both Rutgers and West Virginia, so it will be tough to win the league outright. Bill Stull (86 OVR) returns at QB, while Jonathan Baldwin (88 OVR) will be a big-play threat at wideout.

4. Cincinnati

Despite possessing a B-plus rating on both offense and defense, Cincinnati gets a B overall rating in NCAA Football 10. The Bearcats will have to win at either USF or Pittsburgh to have a chance to win the Big East, but beyond those games, their schedule is favorable. All-American wide receiver Mardy Gilyard (93 OVR) will be the impact player on offense, while Aaron Webster (88 OVR) will lead the defense.

5. West Virginia

The Mountaineers are usually considered to be one of the top two teams in the Big East. But despite having two of the top players in the conference in Jarrett Brown (87 OVR) and Noel Devine (94 OVR), the Mountaineers will have a tough time navigating their schedule. They must travel to three of the top four teams in the league, which will be tough to overcome.

6. Louisville

The Cardinals have fallen quite far in the past couple of years. This year the Cardinals only garner a C-plus rating, thanks in large part to their paltry defense (C). The Cardinals also play four Big East road games, which adds to the difficulty of the schedule. Running back Victor Anderson (89 OVR) is the team's best player.

7. Connecticut

The Huskies have a C overall rating, and they will have to figure out how to replace the school's all-time leading rusher in Donald Brown. Jordan Todman (75 OVR) will try to fill the void, but those shoes are going to be tough to fill. QB Zach Frazer (86 OVR) is a bright spot.

8. Syracuse

The Orange have a new coach in Doug Marrone, which might be good for an extra win or two this year. However, don't look for too much improvement this year since the Orange are sporting a defense (D-plus OVR) that will give up points in droves. Delone Carter (83 OVR) could be an impact player this year.

How do you think the Big East will play out this year? Defend your team and comment on our predictions by commenting on the story.

NCAA Football 10 Videos
Member Comments
# 1 BackToLiveAction @ 08/06/09 04:19 PM
i think this list is right. WVU needs some playmakers at WR. so does Rutgers. Overall I think the Big East is a weak confrence now that all the good players are gone.

# 2 jyoung @ 08/06/09 05:44 PM
Funny how the Big East has become such a basketball-oriented league as of late. How the mighty have fallen.

# 3 Sundown2600 @ 08/06/09 06:04 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by wEEman33
Funny how the Big East has become such a basketball-oriented league as of late. How the mighty have fallen.
Lol. The Big East has and always will be a basketball conference.

# 4 BackToLiveAction @ 08/06/09 08:06 PM
thats very true. just like the sec will most likely be a football confrence

# 5 Dbrentonbuck @ 08/06/09 11:55 PM
Sorry, I have to disagree with you here. You still have plenty of NFL talent in the BE. You have 5 teams which are always ranked in the top 25 at some point in the year. You have one of the top 5 coaches in the country there. You have 1st day NFL draft prospects in Pike, Gilyard, Selvie, Devine and maybe more. 3 QBs on the O'Brien watch list, 3 HB on the Walker list, etc.

It is trendy to pick on the BE right now. All the cool kids are doing it. Sadly, those people know very little about football.

# 6 Dbrentonbuck @ 08/06/09 11:59 PM
I also love it when people say "The Big East sucks ever since Miami and BC left. Over the past 2 years, 5 teams in the BE have been rated higher than either of those teams both years.

# 7 thescoop @ 08/07/09 12:09 AM
Big Least teams are always ranked in the top 25 due to over-ranking thanks to their past. They should NOT be a BCS conference.

# 8 Dbrentonbuck @ 08/07/09 12:35 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by thescoop
Big Least teams are always ranked in the top 25 due to over-ranking thanks to their past. They should NOT be a BCS conference.
So, you are saying that somewhere there is a computer programer who helped write the BCS algorithim and he decided that he was going to put a computation in the program that would give the BE a higher rating based on something that happened 5 years ago?

Then, for the human element involved in the bcs ratings, there are a group of people sitting in a dark room that say "Remember when Miami and BC were in the Big East, that was cool. Lets rate Pitt higher because of that."

That makes sense.

# 9 thescoop @ 08/07/09 12:50 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dbrentonbuck
So, you are saying that somewhere there is a computer programer who helped write the BCS algorithim and he decided that he was going to put a computation in the program that would give the BE a higher rating based on something that happened 5 years ago?

Then, for the human element involved in the bcs ratings, there are a group of people sitting in a dark room that say "Remember when Miami and BC were in the Big East, that was cool. Lets rate Pitt higher because of that."

That makes sense.
Wow, I didn't release you were clueless and need to be explained all. No, that isn't what I'm saying. I'm saying that for years, in large part due to Miami, VT and BC, the Big East was a well respected conference with teams compeating for a national championship. That's why. Not because of the stupid dark room thing you dreamed I implied.

Now, they feature teams like South Florida that just a couple of years ago was a mid-major. A mid-major that couldn't even really hang in CUSA. They didn't go from mid-major to national power. They were put up on the mantel by the name of the Big East.

The computers are horrible and we've seen the mistakes they've made, but the human element is what made the Big Least still considered a power when they are a mere mid-major conference, maybe one of the stronger mid-major conferences, but a mid-major non-the-less.

Also, the BCS itself is a farce. The comish of the Big Least was (might still be) its president. If he hadn't held that position when they lost those teams it might not have stayed in the BCS. The sports writers over hype that conference every year. If you rank an average team, playing in an average conference, in the top ten and they run the table they might be a top team in the computer due to fact they were over-ranked to start.

The Big East is NOT a power conference anymore. Will it be again one day, who knows? But it is a mid-major pretending to be a big boy now.

# 10 Dbrentonbuck @ 08/07/09 12:53 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Terrell28
@ Dbrentonbuck If it wasn't for WVU beating the teams in the bowl games because of the talent of Steve Slaton & Pat White the big east would be in trouble I know alot about football really all sports and I'm not being trendy the reason Big East teams bubble up in the top 25 is because the SEC and Big 12 and maybe even the Big Ten to some extent beat up on each other and effects their rankings. But like I said in my 1st post now that WVU is on the way back down no more bowl wins over a major conference and your arguement that 5 teams in the Big East have ranked higher than Miami and BC well DUH thats my point they are in better conferences now hence more of a chance to lose when THE U was in the Big East They Owned the Big East after Mcnabb and Harrison had they run with the Cuse know what your talking about 1st cause if Miami was still in the Big East Uconn would still be a free win for them and Rutgers lol yeah ok I'm from Jersey and we dont claim them one good year does not make for a powerhouse so keep on with ya "parity" whatever helps ya sleep lol.

P.S. For the record from and In Jersey but Miami and WVU supporter since the days of Major Harris so I know and still love my Big East just not as interesting when you bring in those Conference USA teams like Cincinatti when you take away a MIAMI Hurricanes.
No, you are right. You know football better than the Coaches, the BCS committee, the NCAA, the National College Football Awards Association, and everyone else. So, I heard this year they are getting rid of all that stuff and just consulting with you right? They are calling it the TCS.

# 11 Dbrentonbuck @ 08/07/09 01:01 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by thescoop
Wow, I didn't release you were clueless and need to be explained all. No, that isn't what I'm saying. I'm saying that for years, in large part due to Miami, VT and BC, the Big East was a well respected conference with teams compeating for a national championship. That's why. Not because of the stupid dark room thing you dreamed I implied.

Now, they feature teams like South Florida that just a couple of years ago was a mid-major. A mid-major that couldn't even really hang in CUSA. They didn't go from mid-major to national power. They were put up on the mantel by the name of the Big East.

The computers are horrible and we've seen the mistakes they've made, but the human element is what made the Big Least still considered a power when they are a mere mid-major conference, maybe one of the stronger mid-major conferences, but a mid-major non-the-less.

Also, the BCS itself is a farce. The comish of the Big Least was (might still be) its president. If he hadn't held that position when they lost those teams it might not have stayed in the BCS. The sports writers over hype that conference every year. If you rank an average team, playing in an average conference, in the top ten and they run the table they might be a top team in the computer due to fact they were over-ranked to start.

The Big East is NOT a power conference anymore. Will it be again one day, who knows? But it is a mid-major pretending to be a big boy now.
Then you are saying exactly what I said you are saying, only now the sports writers and the BCS president are in the dark room as well.... let me guess... I bet he says "EXCELLENT" in a real creepy voice?

Nothing you say holds water. They have a winning bowl record, winning BCS bowl record, winning OOC record since the break up of the original BE. AND it is hilarious to hear someone say that the MEDIA over hypes the BE. Many cities in the BE didn't even send media to the BE media day until this year. They are always being trashed in the media.

# 12 Dbrentonbuck @ 08/07/09 01:08 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Terrell28
Yeah the coaches know more than me but in this case you dont so THANK YOU lol.
So when the coaches had 5 teams from the BE ranked in the top 25 at different points last year?

I am not saying they are the SEC. I am saying they aren't horrible. They have 5 very good teams and any one of them are capable of beating just about anyone in the BCS on any given day just as they are capable of losing to them.

Ok... this is becoming pointless now. Goodnight and have a pleasant tomorrow all.

# 13 rudyjuly2 @ 08/07/09 12:54 PM
At this point I don't think the Big East deserves an automatic BCS bid. They should share that with an at-large team. Highest ranking gets one (that would also appease the Utah's, Boise St.'s etc.). It would be nice if Syracuse became good again for the conference.

I'd pick Pittsburgh to win it all if I didn't think Wannstedt was such an average coach.

# 14 BurghFan @ 08/07/09 07:21 PM
I'm also sick of everyone dissing the Big East since Miami, VT, and BC left. It's still a competitive conference. That said, it'll probably be another competitive year with a lot of close games between Big East schools. Hopefully Pitt can pull off the championship, though they really need to find some consistency at the QB position.

# 15 NoDakHusker @ 08/07/09 08:33 PM
Agreed. South Florida is my pick to win the Big East, but I think Pitt and West Virginia will be in it as well.
Don't dis the Big East, it's a tough conference, it may be small... but they compete as much as any other conference.

# 16 Cusefan @ 08/07/09 11:57 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by rudyjuly2
At this point I don't think the Big East deserves an automatic BCS bid. They should share that with an at-large team. Highest ranking gets one (that would also appease the Utah's, Boise St.'s etc.). It would be nice if Syracuse became good again for the conference.

I'd pick Pittsburgh to win it all if I didn't think Wannstedt was such an average coach.
I got $100 that says Syracuse does not finish last in the BE this year.

# 17 BobbyZ23 @ 08/10/09 03:00 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by rudyjuly2

I'm late to the party, but here's my two cents. No conference should get an automatic bid. Why shouldn't all the DI teams (or whatever they are calling it these days) be on an even playing field, and the top eight or ten teams in the final BCS standings get the bids?

It's so sad that our greedy corporate culture influences a GAME that is supposed to be about the STUDENT athlete. So while the five major conferences pound their chests and pretend that they are far superior, remember that WVU beat Georgia and Oklahoma in BCS Bowl games, and no one outside of WVU fans believed that they would.

It's funny that no one was calling for the ACC's automatic bowl bid while they lost, how many BCS games in a row? Several of those games came at the hands of some Big Least teams. Why wasn't anyone calling for the Big Ten to lose their automatic BCS bid, while Ohio St. was getting crushed in back to back national championship games?

The fact is, college football is cyclical. The funny thing is, people seem to forget, WVU was on the rise before Miami, VT, and BC left the Big East. They were competing for Big East titles, and narrowly being edged out by Miami before Pat White or Steve Slaton was even out of high school. WVU had already caught up with BC and VT, and would soon surpass Miami, but the traitors chose to run to the ACC and the promise of more MONEY. There's no doubt in my mind, had Miami stayed in the Big East, they would have continued to decline. That's not to say they won't be a national power again, because I'm sure they will, however they were on the decline, and staying in the Big East wouldn't have stopped that.

The Big East will rebound, they may have a bad year or two, but someone will rise up and fill the void at the top. It may be WVU again (been recruiting very well), or Pitt, or anyone really. If Cincinnati can keep their coach (Kelly), I think they may be the real deal for a few seasons.

# 18 NoDakHusker @ 08/11/09 12:09 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobbyZ23
I'm late to the party, but here's my two cents. No conference should get an automatic bid. Why shouldn't all the DI teams (or whatever they are calling it these days) be on an even playing field, and the top eight or ten teams in the final BCS standings get the bids?

It's so sad that our greedy corporate culture influences a GAME that is supposed to be about the STUDENT athlete. So while the five major conferences pound their chests and pretend that they are far superior, remember that WVU beat Georgia and Oklahoma in BCS Bowl games, and no one outside of WVU fans believed that they would.

It's funny that no one was calling for the ACC's automatic bowl bid while they lost, how many BCS games in a row? Several of those games came at the hands of some Big Least teams. Why wasn't anyone calling for the Big Ten to lose their automatic BCS bid, while Ohio St. was getting crushed in back to back national championship games?

The fact is, college football is cyclical. The funny thing is, people seem to forget, WVU was on the rise before Miami, VT, and BC left the Big East. They were competing for Big East titles, and narrowly being edged out by Miami before Pat White or Steve Slaton was even out of high school. WVU had already caught up with BC and VT, and would soon surpass Miami, but the traitors chose to run to the ACC and the promise of more MONEY. There's no doubt in my mind, had Miami stayed in the Big East, they would have continued to decline. That's not to say they won't be a national power again, because I'm sure they will, however they were on the decline, and staying in the Big East wouldn't have stopped that.

The Big East will rebound, they may have a bad year or two, but someone will rise up and fill the void at the top. It may be WVU again (been recruiting very well), or Pitt, or anyone really. If Cincinnati can keep their coach (Kelly), I think they may be the real deal for a few seasons.
well said and you bring up a great point. i totally agree with the even playing field idea.
Remember Boise State beating Oklahoma in the Fiesta Bowl a few years back? Yet no one mentions Boise for the National Title. The BCS and the way the NCAA does things is so ridiculous and idiotic.

# 19 rudyjuly2 @ 08/11/09 07:05 AM
Probably right. No real reason to have automatic bids. Either you are ranked high and deserve it or you are not.

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.