Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

View Poll Results: Favorite grilled meat (outdoor cookout)?
Bratwurst 16 21.92%
Ribs 9 12.33%
Hot dogs 1 1.37%
Burgers 24 32.88%
Steak (love it, but not in this setting) 11 15.07%
Chicken 6 8.22%
Pork steaks or chops 2 2.74%
Fish (this would constitute the trout option) 1 1.37%
Lamb (lamb?!?) 1 1.37%
Turkey 0 0%
Other (squirrel, squid, other animals that start with “s-q-u-i” etc.) 0 0%
I don’t like grilled meat, and thus am some kind of commie wuss 2 2.74%
Voters: 73. You may not vote on this poll

Old 07-01-2004, 11:39 AM   #51
Philliesfan980
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franklinnoble
I love grilled cheeseburgers. Nothing better in my opinion - I could eat them every day of the week.

Brats are good, if they're done right. That's probably a close second... although if they're not done to my liking, I won't touch them.

Steak is tough for cookouts... just because you typically need utensils to eat them. Although you could probably tackle a nice fat t-bone with your hands...

How do you like your brats?

Philliesfan980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2004, 11:47 AM   #52
Ksyrup
This guy has posted so much, his fingers are about to fall off.

My favorite toasted Met is Mark Corey, with a healthy shot of Tony Tarasco on top.
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Ksyrup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2004, 11:48 AM   #53
Franklinnoble
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philliesfan980

Here's the thing about brats... I love the taste, but I don't like being reminded of the fact that I'm eating something out of an animal casing. So I sear them on a hot grill - I like charring the outside just a bit, then I slice them down the middle and sear the inside just a bit. It gives them a nice flavor, and reduces the rubbery-intestine texture when I bite into them.
Franklinnoble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2004, 11:53 AM   #54
Ben E Lou
Morgado's Favorite Forum Fascist

Quote:
Awesome

You know, I just realized, from your earlier post, that you and Mrs. SkyDog don't have kids... what's up with that? Get enough of the Dad routine with your ministry and babysitting FOFC or what?
Honestly, she and I are both just selfish enough that we like our lives the way they are. We have been told, and both believe, that we'd be good parents. It just always seems that when we talk about it, one of us is in the place of "Well, I think I want kids eventually, but I'm not sure I'm ready for that much change just yet." Sometimes that person is me, and sometimes it is her. The discussion then ends up getting tabled for the next several months, etc. This has gone on for over six years of marriage, now. At some point in the fairly near future, we're going to have to get serious about making the decision as to whether or not we want to have kids at all, due to her biological clock. (Interestingly enough, although she works in the adoption field, she is pretty much dead-set against us adopting, so that's not an option.)

Also, just fyi, I'd be careful with that question. I know enough people who have struggled with infertility and/or miscarriages that I wouldn't ask it unless it is a close, intimate friend. My brother's wife, for example, had something like 8 miscarriages before they decided to adopt in their early 40's. This isn't said to jump on you at all, 'cause I know you meant no harm whatsoever, but just as a word of friendly advice. I've noticed over the years that many people ask that question in "fun," and end up making themselves and the person to whom they asked it extremely uncomfortable with the honest answer.
Old 07-01-2004, 11:57 AM   #55
sovereignstar
Pro Starter

Quote:
Here's the thing about brats... I love the taste, but I don't like being reminded of the fact that I'm eating something out of an animal casing. So I sear them on a hot grill - I like charring the outside just a bit, then I slice them down the middle and sear the inside just a bit. It gives them a nice flavor, and reduces the rubbery-intestine texture when I bite into them.

Shiiit, the occasional toenail doesn't even bother me. The chewier the better I say.
sovereignstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2004, 12:25 PM   #56
Bonegavel
Awaiting Further Instructions...

Quote:
Originally Posted by cthomer5000
vegetarian (a.k.a. commie wuss)

edit: and boiled hot-dogs are so superior to grilled ones that there is no use debating it.

Not only are you a commie wuss. You, sir, are high on the WEED!
Bonegavel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2004, 12:57 PM   #57
WSUCougar
Rider Of Rohan

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyDog
Honestly, she and I are both just selfish enough that we like our lives the way they are. We have been told, and both believe, that we'd be good parents. It just always seems that when we talk about it, one of us is in the place of "Well, I think I want kids eventually, but I'm not sure I'm ready for that much change just yet." Sometimes that person is me, and sometimes it is her. The discussion then ends up getting tabled for the next several months, etc. This has gone on for over six years of marriage, now. At some point in the fairly near future, we're going to have to get serious about making the decision as to whether or not we want to have kids at all, due to her biological clock.
This tickled me because it is almost exactly how my wife and I felt. Now we're 2.5 years into parenthood, and I regret every moment of it...NO, I'M KIDDING!!!
Old 07-01-2004, 01:17 PM   #58
Karlifornia
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:

I used to be a burger guy though. Never in my 18 years of meat-eating was I a ribs or steak fan. And I've never been a fish guy.

edit: and boiled hot-dogs are so superior to grilled ones that there is no use debating it.

Holy Holly Hunter! I can't believe that there is a human being alive that at any point past 5 years old preferred boiled hot dogs to any other method of cooking! Ok, maybe if there were a starving Somalian who, for some crazy reason, had only boiled hot dogs available, then I could understand.

My roommates all liked their hot dogs boiled, but only because they've never had them fried.

Split the dog down the middle, letting only the skn hold it together. Then fry the fucker, and slather ketchup and mustard all over it. Mmm..

Boiled. Pssh. It actually angers me.
Old 07-01-2004, 01:21 PM   #59
Samdari
Roster Filler

Quote:
Originally Posted by WSUCougar
This tickled me because it is almost exactly how my wife and I felt. Now we're 2.5 years into parenthood, and I regret every moment of it...NO, I'M KIDDING!!!

Ditto here. My wife and I went through 6.5 years of marriage before taking the plunge.

I'll get back to you on any regrets.
Old 07-01-2004, 01:30 PM   #60
BishopMVP
Coordinator

Quote:

and boiled hot-dogs are so superior to grilled ones that there is no use debating it.
Did you also use a gas grill?
BishopMVP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2004, 02:01 PM   #61
judicial clerk
College Benchwarmer

the only thing worse than boiled hotdogs is microwaived hotdogs

When I grill hamburgers i always press em and i flip 'em multiple times, but no more!

I agree with SD's point about asking a childless couple about having kids. My wife, however, takes what i call the "Kramer" approach. Almost no subject is off limits to her and almost always the people are eager to talk with my wife about whatever taboo subject because noone else asks about it because they are afraid of offending. She is also rather empathetic. Unfortunately, this also works in reverse. my wife is willing to discuss her (and my) most intimate secrets.

Its no secret, however, that I love me some grilled tri-tip.
judicial clerk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2004, 02:23 PM   #62
primelord
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by WSUCougar

I'm printing this out and sending it to your kids.
primelord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2004, 02:41 PM   #63
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Split the dog down the middle, letting only the skn hold it together. Then fry the fucker, and slather ketchup and mustard all over it. Mmm..

KETCHUP?! How do you look at yourself in a mirror? Ketchup doesn't go on a hot dog unless you are 5 years old. Even then, they should be disabused of that notion.

Last edited by ISiddiqui : 07-01-2004 at 02:42 PM.
ISiddiqui is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2004, 02:49 PM   #64
WSUCougar
Rider Of Rohan

Exclamation

Quote:
Originally Posted by ISiddiqui
KETCHUP?! How do you look at yourself in a mirror? Ketchup doesn't go on a hot dog unless you are 5 years old. Even then, they should be disabused of that notion.
Yeah, everyone knows that horsradish is the way to go!
Old 07-01-2004, 03:08 PM   #65
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

I can't deal with giant steaks like many of the first posters were suggesting. They're just not feasable to cook on our little grill here. I don't have a yard so we have to take this little grill over to the grassy area of the apartment complex. So anything thicker than a 1/4 inch just isn't going to get done unless you like it still moo-ing in the middle or completely burned on the outside and I'm a medium to medium-well guy so that just doesn't cut it for me.

As for my favorite, it's brats all the way. I do a mean set of beer brats and the "secret" is to boil them beforehand. It's not much of a secret but common sense after taking forever on the grill the first time or two. I'll just set up a pot on my stove, boil the brats in one part beer, one part water (or light beer, same thing) until they're cooked throughout (no one wants trichinosis, right?) and then take them outside and sear the outsides to get that great brat taste.

Other stuff that works well on small grills (well this is a normal size el cheapo grill but it's not some Broil King 9000000) are, of course, burgers and dogs. Chicken doesn't work too well because of the whole "not dying" thing so unless you get really thin cuts, it takes quite a while. Fish is ok, but you have to put it on foil or something or it falls apart. Oh, and cutting up a potato into thin slices and putting salt on it constitutes a vegetable, right? But the other main thing we'll do is either very thin pork chops (put some salt, pepper, and garlic salt on it aka http://www.greekseasoning.com/) or get some thin steaks, put some salt, pepper, garlic salt, and fresh oregano on it. Now that's meat flavor. I'll eat one of those bad boys by just holding it with the tongs and taking bites out of it until it's gone.

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2004, 03:14 PM   #66
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Well I was going to say mustard & onions, but horseradish can work too .
Old 07-01-2004, 03:16 PM   #67
korme
Go Reds

sewer rat anyone?
korme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2004, 03:18 PM   #68
korme
Go Reds

beer brats? sounds neat
korme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2004, 03:23 PM   #69
Fonzie
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philliesfan980

I know this wasn't directed at me, but I'll answer it anyway: beer-boiled and then grilled. Nothin' better.

And yes, I grew up in Wisconsin.
Fonzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2004, 10:12 AM   #70
WSUCougar
Rider Of Rohan

Burgers may have an insurmountable lead. Interesting.
Old 07-02-2004, 10:23 AM   #71
VPI97
Hokie, Hokie, Hokie, Hi

Bratwurst topped with mustard & kraut
VPI97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2004, 12:59 PM   #72
Buzzbee
College Starter

Quote:

Just wait'll the N. Plainfield Plague players find out about this!! Those big meat eaters in the trenches will be shocked. Strange that they never noticed those Morningstar Farms trucks unloading at the cafeteria. Of course, they aren't too bright anyway.
Old 07-03-2004, 12:56 PM   #73
Airhog
Captain Obvious

I think this poll is asinine and pointless. All true men BBQ ribs, you never grill them. And if you dont know the difference in BBQ and grilling, then deserve to have your weber mini grill taken from you

On a more serious note, I will be fixing a 10 pound slab of brisket. Its a good thing you left this off the menu, because anyone who grills a brisket should be covered in BBQ sauce and goose feathers. Although If I was forced to grill some meat for the 4th, I would probably choose a nice steak.

Thread Killer extraordinaire

Yay! its football season once again!
Airhog is offline   Reply With Quote