PDA

View Full Version : Best. unintentional. comedy. ever.

SackAttack
06-14-2003, 04:52 PM
http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&u=/ap/20030614/ap_on_hi_te/microsoft_macintosh_3

Long and short of the story is that Microsoft will no longer be producing their Internet Explorer browser on the Mac platform. Unremarkable on the surface of it, and would have remained so if not for this quote from Jessica Sommers, product manager for Microsoft's 'Macintosh Business Unit.'

"Apple has access to functionality in the (operating system) that Microsoft doesn't. They can do things because they're developing on their own (operating system) that we as a third party programmer can't do."

Classic.

Josh

sabotai
06-14-2003, 05:39 PM
So, in other words, Microsoft is bitching because Apple will not give them access to the OS for Microsoft to developer software? Yeah, that sounds familiar. :)

SackAttack
06-14-2003, 05:44 PM
I don't know that they're bitching that Apple *won't* give them access, necessarily.

The way I read that was just that they were saying "Hey, that's the way it is. Their operating system, they can do better things with it, so we're gonna let them do their thing." No complaints, no threats to sue...just capitulation because they recognize that they can't do it as well as Apple can there.

But, yeah...for them to say "Apple's knowledge of their proprietary operating system gives them an advantage here" while denying that they derive the same benefits from their knowledge of Windows' internal workings...yeah, that's comedy. Pure gold.

kcchief19
06-15-2003, 10:45 PM
That is gold. I guess it's a good think that anti-trust suit got swept under the rug. This could have been the noose around their neck.