PDA

View Full Version : OT: New Fountains of Wayne

CamEdwards
06-14-2003, 08:57 PM
I picked it up today and am really enjoying it so far. I love the MILFy song "Stacey's Mom". I've been dying for this album to come out, and I'm curious if there are other FoW fans here.

jcclark02
06-14-2003, 09:17 PM
You gotta love MILFS!!

:p :p :p

cthomer5000
06-14-2003, 09:34 PM
Just picked it up a few hours ago, but have yet to give it a listen. I'm sure it'll be top notch stuff - all their material is.

ice4277
06-14-2003, 09:35 PM
Originally posted by jcclark02
You gotta love MILFS!!

:p :p :p

Usually I try to love more than one at the same time :D

tucker342
06-14-2003, 10:46 PM
MILFS Rule!!!

cthomer5000
06-20-2003, 07:38 PM
Upon first listen, I was disappointed in this album. I listened to it maybe twice and wanted to put it down for a while.

Maybe I was in a bad mood, or maybe it just takes a few listens - this is a great album. I don't think it's as good as either of their first two amazing albums, but it's pretty solid from start-to-finish. Definite highlights are "Mexican Wine", "Hey Julie", and of course "Stacy's Mom."

4 of 5 stars.

CamEdwards
06-20-2003, 07:41 PM
It's funny that you mention the songs that aren't specific to that area, because I really like "Bright Future In Sales", "Hackensack", "Valley Winter Song", and "Little Red Light".

That being said, "Stacey's Mom" might be the greatest 80's song since "Jessie's Girl".

cthomer5000
06-20-2003, 08:02 PM
Originally posted by CamEdwards
It's funny that you mention the songs that aren't specific to that area, because I really like "Bright Future In Sales", "Hackensack", "Valley Winter Song", and "Little Red Light".

That being said, "Stacey's Mom" might be the greatest 80's song since "Jessie's Girl".

I definitely love "Hackensack", the band is awesome with their relentless NY/NJ/CT references. It's amazing. It's weird though, I think "Hey Julie" is clearly the best song on the album, and then there are about 8 I would say are 2nd best. I basically pulled a few off the top of my head to name. I'm not nuts about "supercollider," it would be my pick for worst song, they should have cut it. Also, "Fire Island" sounds like "Prom Theme - Part II" both aurally and lyrically. I felt Prom Theme absolutely killed the momentum of Utopia Parkway, the song should have been dropped or replaced with one of the b-sides from that album ("I know you well" would get my vote). Sometimes the fact that a song shouldn't be on the album doesn't make it bad - sometimes it just doesn't blend.

Ksyrup
06-22-2003, 09:39 PM
I finally got a copy at the end of last week. Drove all over Colorado Springs looking for a Best Buy. In Tally, BB didn't even have a place for FoW CDs, and the local college store sold out 2 weeks in advance. So no FoW for me until this past Friday. Great CD. The only negative about it is that a number of the songs are interchangeable - meaning that the song they did as a country song, or the lounge song, could have been performed straight up like all of the others without missing a beat, and vice versa. The songs were written the same, and just done in a different style. I noticed it right away. But I guess that's just how they write songs. A minor quibble, since the songs are good no matter what style they are performed in.

Also picked up the new Type O Negative, which I haven't listened to yet because I have a feeling my wife woulda been pissed if I played some of those songs in the car with our 3 year old daughter listening. Songs about botched sex-change operations and straight guys pissed about being hit on by gays - sung at the lowest end of a human's vocal range - is probably not Barney material. Guess I'll be saving it for the drive to work tomorrow.

Butter
06-23-2003, 09:54 AM
I absolutely hate "Stacy's Mom". Sounds like a TRL grab. But then my tastes run very wide of the mainstream. I love most of FoW's other stuff, but this song sucks.

Type O Negative is definitely NOT for the kiddies.