PDA

View Full Version : Which cap should be on the Clemens Plaque

Cards4ever
06-16-2003, 08:43 AM
I think the HOF should put him in without a logo on his cap, he should go in as a Red Sox player, but, the Boston fans probably don't want him to as much as he doesn't want them.

VPI97
06-16-2003, 08:54 AM
I thought Clemens made a good point when he said that while he's only spent 5 years with the Yankees, it's was there that he became a solid first ballot hall of famer. In my opinion, he had a pretty good shot at first ballot status just based on the number of Cy Youngs he won while with the Red Sox and Blue Jays, but because he's added the ring, #300, 4,000th strikeout, and another Cy Young since joining the Yankees, it's certain.

Plus, I also believe that the players themselves should be able to choose what cap they want...

Marmel
06-16-2003, 09:02 AM
Neither Clemens nor Red Sox fans want him to go in with a Boston cap.

Toronto was just a 2 year stint.

That leaves New York as the only real option.

condors
06-16-2003, 09:35 AM
why not have him go in with a cap with $ on it

Samdari
06-16-2003, 09:37 AM
Originally posted by VPI97
I thought Clemens made a good point when he said that while he's only spent 5 years with the Yankees, it's was there that he became a solid first ballot hall of famer.

You are kidding, right?

If he had retired after winning his 4th and 5th Cy Young awards in Toronto, he would not be a first ballot hall of famer?

GrantDawg
06-16-2003, 09:48 AM
I think they ought to put a Red Sox cap on him just to torque him off.

GrantDawg
06-16-2003, 09:50 AM
But truthfully I think they ought to remove the caps from the plaques. In the day of free agency, the idea of going in representing one team is out-dated.

cuervo72
06-16-2003, 10:01 AM
Originally posted by condors
why not have him go in with a cap with $ on it

Beat me to it condors...

I don't think they need to put any logo on the cap...Catfish Hunter's doesn't.

http://www.baseballhalloffame.org/hofers_and_honorees/plaques/images/Hunter_Catfish.jpg

illinifan999
06-16-2003, 10:09 AM
Blue Jays. He should go in with the Blue Jays hat.

Cards4ever
06-16-2003, 10:14 AM
Originally posted by illinifan999
Blue Jays. He should go in with the Blue Jays hat.

I guess we should expect these kind of comments from Cubs fans! :D

Subby
06-16-2003, 11:57 AM
I am suprised Cam hasn't dropped in with an "Ass Hat" comment...

You're slipping, babe...

illinifan999
06-16-2003, 12:11 PM
Originally posted by Cards4ever
I guess we should expect these kind of comments from Cubs fans! :D

Really even though he didnt play for the Cubs, he should be going in a Cubs hat. Just like Greg maddux, except maddux actually played for them. Cubs Rule! ;)

TroyF
06-16-2003, 12:25 PM
My vote is for Boston. I have no desire to listen to his HOF induction speech anyway. Besides, watching him cry like this makes me happy I never liked the guy.

TroyF

cuervo72
06-16-2003, 12:45 PM
Maybe the Adidas hat that he had on at the press conference following win no. 300.

stkelly52
06-16-2003, 01:04 PM
The fans in Boston may not like it, and he may not like it, but his career was made in Boston. Yes it was enhanced in NY, but by far his Boston was where he made his most significant impact.

MizzouRah
06-16-2003, 01:06 PM
Now that he's a Yankee, Boston fans wouldn't even recognize him with a BoSox hat on.

Todd

Samdari
06-16-2003, 01:11 PM
I really like the $ idea. Would never happen though.

Cards4ever
06-16-2003, 01:14 PM
Originally posted by illinifan999
Really even though he didnt play for the Cubs, he should be going in a Cubs hat. Just like Greg maddux, except maddux actually played for them. Cubs Rule! ;)

How about those 1908 World Champions!

Anrhydeddu
06-16-2003, 01:16 PM
Originally posted by Samdari
You are kidding, right?

If he had retired after winning his 4th and 5th Cy Young awards in Toronto, he would not be a first ballot hall of famer?

Better than that, he was a Hall of Famer even after his Red Sox career.

andy m
06-16-2003, 01:17 PM
clemens has the plague? argh!!!!!!

cuervo72
06-16-2003, 01:31 PM
Originally posted by Samdari
I really like the $ idea. Would never happen though.

Here you go....

Marmel
06-16-2003, 01:58 PM
I don't really understand the money thing. I thought Boston really lowballed him and said, publically, that he was in the twilight of his career. He obviously proved Boston wrong during his stint in Toronto and then in New York. Boston did not really make him feel welcome about coming back with a new contract, so he did what any sane person would.

Then he was traded to New York, where he has stayed ever since.

As a Yankee fan, I am warming up to Roger, but he is still not one of my favorites by a long shot. However, I don't see why you think the $ sign is appropriate for Roger.

Anrhydeddu
06-16-2003, 02:12 PM
I agree with Marmel, I think he is right.

cuervo72
06-16-2003, 02:28 PM
Ahh, I just like stirring the pot. I was never a big Clemens, Red Sox or Yankees fan. I don't think Duquette did right by Clemens, but Clemens' signing with Toronto sure looked like he was going for the highest payday. Which is fine by me really.

mckerney
06-16-2003, 02:36 PM
You can't disgrace the Red Sox and send him in with a Boston hat, if you let him have the Yankees hat then he's gettting just what he wanted, so Blue Jays it is.

Cards4ever
06-16-2003, 03:15 PM
I'm trying to be realistic here, so that is exactly why I didn't include the Blue Jays hat.

Look, Carlton Fisk left Boston bitter too, after he retired he mended the fence, it is possible that could happen to Clemens too, but him acting like this is not helping at all. These guys might negotiate with management, but they play for the fans, I think they forget that sometimes.

ISiddiqui
06-16-2003, 03:22 PM
It should be Boston. He played a majority of his career there and arguably played his best baseball with the Red Sox.

sterlingice
06-16-2003, 03:29 PM
I'm sure we can find some college club team whose logo is a hand flipping the bird for him.

Even better is that we could reuse it for Barry Bonds when he retires. Tho, I think Jack McDowell should be the first one with it.

SI

vtbub
06-16-2003, 03:37 PM
Hey if Clemens had signed out of the division, I don't think Sox fans would have any problem with him. His attitude, IMHO, causes more grumbling in Boston and Toronto. Remember he forced a trade there too.

mckerney
06-16-2003, 04:03 PM
I don't think he'll ever end up 'mending fences' with Boston fans.

As the Sports Guy wrote:

The prevailing feeling seems to be that Boston fans will soften during the twilight of Clemens' career -- when he enters that cuddly "aging and vulnerable" stage that turns everyone nostalgic -- and we'll collectively bury the hatchet with him, forgive his sins and accept him back in our good graces. And then the Rocket will retire, and he'll make the Hall of Fame, and heck, he might even wear a Red Sox cap as a gesture of good will.

Well, I'm here to tell you ... this will never happen. Sometimes relationships pass a point where they can be salvaged, as Ike & Tina, Nicole & OJ and Sam & Diane all proved over the years. In the Rocket's case, too much has happened. We can't let it go. We won't let it go. When you give your heart to someone and they basically drop it on the ground, stomp on it a few times, then ask, "What did I do?" ... well, you don't forget something like that. Ever.

clintl
06-16-2003, 04:06 PM
Why not induct him decapitated?

WSUCougar
06-16-2003, 04:11 PM
Originally posted by Anrhydeddu
I agree with Marmel, I think he is right.
Ah-HA! I wondered why all my clocks stopped, the Cubs were still in first, and hell froze over. And then I saw this sentence...

:D

ScottVib
06-16-2003, 04:25 PM
Originally posted by Marmel
He obviously proved Boston wrong during his stint in Toronto and then in New York.

While I agree with this, I actually think that without Duquette spouting off we may not have seen Clemens come back to his dominating late 80's/early 90's level had Clemens not felt he had something to prove and rededicated himself.

In the Sports Century special on Clemens (on almost non-stop this weekend) even Gammons (then a Boston Globe columnist) pointed out that quite frankly Clemens was fat, and did show up out of shape in 1995 to the point he had to go to extended Spring Training.

He may not have rededicated himself without Duquette wishing him well in the "twilight" of his career.

Maple Leafs
06-17-2003, 12:16 PM
Three points:

1.) Yes, obviously he should go in with a Boston cap. He's an idiot. But at least you could make an argument for the Yankees... it's not like he only pitched half a season there.

2.) If you want to blame someone, blame the Tampa Bay Devil Rays. It was their stupid contract clauses with guys like Boggs and Canseco that forced the HOF to take the decision away from the player.

3.) While Clemens obviously won't go in as a Blue Jay, there could be some interesting debates over the next few seasons with ex-Toronto players. Robbie Alomar will almost certainly go to the hall, McGriff should, and Joe Carter might. Which, if any, will be the first in the hall with a Jays cap?

Cards4ever
06-17-2003, 01:47 PM
Alomar

sterlingice
06-17-2003, 01:55 PM
Originally posted by clintl
Why not induct him decapitated?

I second this.

SI

Honolulu_Blue
06-17-2003, 02:16 PM
Man, I hate this. This is what I hate most about baseball. Well, one of the things. Who. the. f*ck. cares? Baseball is amazing in how it can force normally intelligent, thoughtful people to obssess about the most trivial and ridiculous things. What hat will he where? Should such and such be in the hall of hame? (these are the worst) Blah, blah, blah...

Back to the mega-hockey thread!

Anrhydeddu
06-17-2003, 02:18 PM
When I read "most trivial and ridiculous things", I thought of hockey. :)

Cards4ever
06-17-2003, 02:18 PM
It's not any more ridiculous then discussing if Yzerman should take a pay cut or not, it's just what sports you like or dislike.

Craptacular
06-17-2003, 11:45 PM
Why is it that a player can't choose which (if any) team he wants to be affiliated with in the HOF??

VPI97
06-17-2003, 11:52 PM
Originally posted by Craptacular
Why is it that a player can't choose which (if any) team he wants to be affiliated with in the HOF?? The HOF took the decision away from the players because Wade Boggs was making a deal with the Tampa Bay to go in the Hall as a Devil Ray in exchange for a few million bucks.

Craptacular
06-18-2003, 12:11 AM
Those crazy bastards!