PDA

View Full Version : OT: Any of you have DirectTV?

cincyreds
06-17-2003, 08:18 AM
I am considering jumping on a deal hear in my area, not sure if it is avl in others, where you can get a FREE 2 room DirectTV system for only $38.99 per month.

I currently have TimeWarner Cable and I am paying almost $70 per month for just basic cable(no movie channels).

I also have RoadRunner which costs $44 per month.

I can save about $30 a month if I switch.

Any of you guys out there jump on this deal? Have you been happy with it?

I'd like to hear if you guys are satisfied with it. My father in law was one of the first ones to ever have DirectTV when it first came out.

albionmoonlight
06-17-2003, 08:20 AM
I got it for NFL Sunday Ticket. I have never had a problem with it (in about a year, it went out once for 20 minutes during a HORRIBLE rainstorm--otherwise the service has been great). Based on my experience, I would recommend it.

Samdari
06-17-2003, 08:35 AM
I love my DirecTV. A much better deal than digital cable in about all markets (even with local channels), and higher capacity as well. Access to Sunday Ticket cannot be ignored. It is the best programming ever invented for the television.

That said, the rainstorms (it really only goes out in VERY heavy rain) can be a pain in the ass. I was watching the first new Good Eats in months the other night, and it went out halfway through.

Be wary of "free basic installation" though. My friend got that, and the guy did a really crappy job. I had to spend a Saturday afternoon essentially fixing it. If the guy encounters any trouble while doing it, you end up paying anyway.

cincyreds
06-17-2003, 08:39 AM
I know all about NFLSundayTicket!!

My father in law has had it since they started it. I usually go over to his house every Sunday and watch, we have a blast!

Yeah, this deal also offer the local channels here in my area.

It says there is a $29.99 shipping and handling fee which is no biggie.

Philliesfan980
06-17-2003, 08:39 AM
I'd have the dish as well if it wasn't for comcast sports net (philly) not being on it. With that being said, I'm stuck with comcast digital cable and paying around $70 a month for it.

Cards4ever
06-17-2003, 08:58 AM
Why not ask your Father in law?:confused:

cincyreds
06-17-2003, 09:00 AM
Why not ask your Father in law?

Actually, I have. We talked about it all day yesterday.

I just wanted to see what my fellow FOFC brothers had to say about it.

I hope that is all right with you?

;)

Cards4ever
06-17-2003, 09:07 AM
So, you would rather get advice about a dish from people that have different climates than your very own neck of the woods? Makes perfect sense!

cuervo72
06-17-2003, 09:10 AM
Love my dish. Love my NFL Sunday Ticket. Actually what we did is to keep very basic cable (local channels, community access, weather, about 12.50/mo) along with the satellite. We have 4 tv's, and this allows us to have tuners on 2 of them while keeping basic channels on all of them.

Phillies, pretty crappy what Comcast is doing, DirecTv gets about every other regional sports network out there.

damnMikeBrown
06-17-2003, 09:13 AM
I'm coming over to your place on Sundays now, Cincy. Let me vent again, over one of my hugest reasons to damn Mike Brown.

We buy him a damn nice new stadium. He sits under the salary cap..some $10 million under the cap, the first few years he has it. He reaps a financial windfall that estimates him as having a top 5 franchise in terms of net gain yearly.

Part of the stadium deal we gave the punk was that if there were tickets left unsold, the CITY would pick up the tab on 'em. So, essentially, he NEVER has to worry about not having a sellout. That being said, even though we're paying every damn game to fill out the stadium, even if only virtually, they STILL have the audacity to black out the freakin game if it's not a pre-game sellout! Hello? We JUST BOUGHT ALL THE DAMN DICKETS!

DAMN MIKE BROWN!

Easy Mac
06-17-2003, 09:30 AM
Well I'm in SC, and we have at my house. It goes out fairly often, especially when it rains... of course the power goes out all the time too. They both went out yesterday even before it started raining. Now my CD-RW doesn't work in my computer, fucking power company.

But yeah, Direct TV is ok. If it saves you a few bucks switch, but I also get free cable because I have cable internet.

cincyreds
06-17-2003, 09:32 AM
So, you would rather get advice about a dish from people that have different climates than your very own neck of the woods? Makes perfect sense!

I completely trust my father in law. I am sold on getting DirectTV.

Thanks guys for all your opinions.

I appreciate it!!

You guys have a great day!

:D

Raiders Army
06-17-2003, 09:57 AM
I have both DirecTV and cable, and I would strongly recommend DirecTV, if only for the Sunday NFL Ticket. As you all know, it's only available on DirecTV. It has only gone out twice since I've had it (3+ years), and only for about 20 minutes to an hour. The Game Show Network and TechTV are my favorites, along with all of the FOX Sports Networks. The only reasons I still have cable is for Roadrunner (just pay basic cable), and because DirecTV doesn't have local channels in my area (NBC, ABC, FOX, CBS, etc.). Some of my neighbors use the "bunny ears" to get local channels, but that's because they don't have Roadrunner. DirecTV is cheaper than Time Warner, but I would wait until closer to the Fall, for the Sunday NFL Ticket specials.

MizzouRah
06-17-2003, 10:16 AM
Dish network has a deal here (not sure if it's nationwide), installation of up to 4 TV's plus the digital recorder PVR-508 system in one room for $50.

We said goodbye to Direct TV and just had Dish Network installed in 4 rooms. Quite a deal if you ask me.

Todd

Franklinnoble
06-17-2003, 12:35 PM
Originally posted by Samdari
I love my DirecTV. A much better deal than digital cable in about all markets (even with local channels), and higher capacity as well. Access to Sunday Ticket cannot be ignored. It is the best programming ever invented for the television.

That said, the rainstorms (it really only goes out in VERY heavy rain) can be a pain in the ass. I was watching the first new Good Eats in months the other night, and it went out halfway through.

Be wary of "free basic installation" though. My friend got that, and the guy did a really crappy job. I had to spend a Saturday afternoon essentially fixing it. If the guy encounters any trouble while doing it, you end up paying anyway.

First of all, Sunday Ticket is reason enough to get DirecTV. I have it. It rules. I'd probably pay twice what they charge for it.

Second, why the hell do you watch "Good Eats?" I wish that dude would get hit by a friggin' bus or something - he annoys the crap out of me.

Third - Install it yourself. It's not that difficult, and you'll get it done right.

Samdari
06-17-2003, 12:47 PM
Originally posted by Franklinnoble
Second, why the hell do you watch "Good Eats?" I wish that dude would get hit by a friggin' bus or something - he annoys the crap out of me.
That is easily my favorite show on television. I wish Emeril would get hit by a bus, but to each his own.

Franklinnoble
06-17-2003, 01:01 PM
That is easily my favorite show on television. I wish Emeril would get hit by a bus, but to each his own.

Emeril annoys me, too. While we're driving the team bus over celebrity chefs, can we take out Bobby Flay and Wolfgang Puck, too? The only show on Food Network that I can stand is Iron Chef... and that's mostly for the unintentional comedy factor.

For my money, "Mail Call" on the History Channel is the best show on TV.

Samdari
06-17-2003, 01:11 PM
Well, I am sort of picking up cooking as a hobby (goes well with my primary hobby, eating) so I actually find watch FoodTV quite a bit. I loved Iron Chef when it first came to the US, but after I watched maybe 10 episodes it started to annoy the piss out of me.

I don't watch nearly enough History Channel. I am usually entertained when I do, but they need catchier titles, as they rarely catch my eye as I am flipping through.

Franklinnoble
06-17-2003, 01:15 PM

I don't watch nearly enough History Channel. I am usually entertained when I do, but they need catchier titles, as they rarely catch my eye as I am flipping through.

[R. Lee Ermey Voice]
Watch "Mail Call," maggot!
[/R. Lee Ermey Voice]

MizzouRah
06-17-2003, 02:42 PM
Funny, I can't stand Iron Chef or the nasty looking food they prepare. I guess my 1 year stint in Japan has something to do with that.

I've learned alot from Emeril, Flay, Ming, and Good Eats on FoodTV. My favorite show however, is the unwrapped shows and Grillin and Chillin, except I don't think GnC is on anymore.

Todd

cincyreds
06-17-2003, 03:21 PM
Actually I like watching Unwrapped on FoodTV. It nice to see what actually goes into making all that candy.

I guess I like watching how all those machines make everything, everything being so automated.

It must have cost a ton to build machines like that.

damnMikeBrown
06-17-2003, 04:29 PM
Hey, if you guys could stay with my attempted threadjack please? What's all this food stuff?! Did I not clearly and forcefully move the discussion from TV to wrethed NFL ownership?

Get with the program!

Tekneek
06-17-2003, 07:18 PM
I've got DirecTV. I love it. My wife did not really want to get it, but now she says she never wants to have cable again for anything (not even cable modem service).

cincyreds
06-18-2003, 07:49 AM
Okay, guys!!

I called DirectTV last night and they are coming to install everything this Saturday between 8 and 12 am.

I am getting a 3rd receiver for my 3rd TV which I have to pay a one time fee of $88. After everthing is installed, I will start being billed $44.95 per month.

Not bad, I am still going to save $25 a month.

Whoo Hoo! I am getting DirectTV!!

Samdari
06-18-2003, 08:03 AM
Wow, Cincy, I am surprised. I think someone messed up, and you may be in for a surprise Saturday.

Technically, there is a huge difference in going from having one dish drive two recievers to having the dish drive three receivers. The two room system includes a dish capable of delivering two full, independent signals to different decoders. To get a third complete signal, you would need what is called a multi-switch, and they cost $50-$100. I would think that your installation would cost extra.

If one of the two signals is split to feed two receivers, they won't both be complete. The receivers send a signal to the dish requesting either the odd or even channels. Thus two receivers sharing the split line would only be able to get odd or even channels, i.e. you could not watch an odd on one and an even on the other at the same time. If you do not need to watch the two of them at the same time, this is obviously a trivial issue.

Tekneek
06-18-2003, 06:10 PM
Part of the $88 may include the multi-switch, but a non-powered one. You may, in the future, want to buy your own that is powered, but I don't know if people run into that problem with just three receivers.

Samdari
06-19-2003, 03:30 PM
Three receivers won't be a problem at all with a non-powered switch. I was just guessing that $88 was for the reciever, as that's what they typically sell for (or at least, last time I bought one, I payed $90).

Tekneek
06-19-2003, 05:22 PM
Maybe the particular installer/dealer coming out is willing to take a loss on the multi-switch for the business? Dunno. If the guy sets it up without one, and takes the money it is bad news.