PDA

View Full Version : Rutgers faces probabtion

Marmel
06-17-2003, 11:46 AM
http://www.nj.com/sports/ledger/index.ssf?/base/sports-0/1055830461276430.xml

Could you imagine how bad their teams would have been if they did not cheat? :D

cuervo72
06-17-2003, 11:52 AM
It doesn't sound as if they were cheating, just that they had no idea what they were doing...which doesn't surprise me much.

cthomer5000
06-17-2003, 01:34 PM
oh god. Just when I thought it couldn't get any worse. Schiano better take this team to an f'in bowl this year.

MylesKnight
06-17-2003, 02:10 PM
Hey CT, maybe this is all happening because of the Curse of the Tony Soprano/RU Football Commercials..

Will there be another in '03?

By the way, I like Schiano and I hope he gets this thing turned around and is able to stay in NJ for a while. You've gotta respect a guy who left a cush job at a school like Miami to try to build something from the rubble that currently is Rutgers Football. He had to have known Butch Davis was eventually going to wind up in the NFL, and if he'd stayed the course with the 'Canes he would've probably ended up with that gig. Still, he decided to not to take the easier route.

Kudos to Greg Schiano!!

cthomer5000
06-17-2003, 02:19 PM
Originally posted by MylesKnight
Hey CT, maybe this is all happening because of the Curse of the Tony Soprano/RU Football Commercials..

Will there be another in '03?

By the way, I like Schiano and I hope he gets this thing turned around and is able to stay in NJ for a while. You've gotta respect a guy who left a cush job at a school like Miami to try to build something from the rubble that currently is Rutgers Football. He had to have known Butch Davis was eventually going to wind up in the NFL, and if he'd stayed the course with the 'Canes he would've probably ended up with that gig. Still, he decided to not to take the easier route.

Kudos to Greg Schiano!!

He really is a Jersey guy, but you have to imagine he would have stayed if he knew Butch Davis was so close to leaving. Schiano probably would have been the coach there now. It could go down as one of the worst career moves of all time.

ISiddiqui
06-17-2003, 04:31 PM
You've gotta respect a guy who left a cush job at a school like Miami to try to build something from the rubble that currently is Rutgers Football.

You say 'respect', I say 'laugh at'. Coming from a Rutgers Alum, that was the WORST career move in college football history.

Sharpieman
06-17-2003, 04:33 PM
Will it really matter if the Rutgers are on probation or not? when was the last time they made a bowl game? Let alone had a winning record?

ISiddiqui
06-17-2003, 04:35 PM
Um... IIRC... the basketball team AND the soccer teams had winning records last season.

Sharpieman
06-17-2003, 04:40 PM
I meant the FOOTBALL TEAMS, that's why I said BOWL GAMES.

ISiddiqui
06-17-2003, 04:56 PM
The LOSS OF SCHOLARSHIPS wasn't only for football teams! Talk about your one track mind :p.

Sharpieman
06-17-2003, 05:10 PM
I was only talking about Football though. I never said anything about soccer or basketball. That's good for them that they had good soccer and basketball teams.

ISiddiqui
06-17-2003, 05:37 PM
Yeah, but this self-probation doesn't only apply to football! In fact, its only 4 scholarships lost to the football team, so it really doesn't matter (and a big program wouldn't even care).

Like the article said:

Nearly every sport at the school is believed to have used one athlete who wasn't properly certified, according to the college official.

I just have problems with people harping on Rutgers Football and then saying how bad they are at sports :rolleyes:.

Sharpieman
06-17-2003, 07:24 PM
They aren't the best at sports either buddy.

ISiddiqui
06-17-2003, 07:50 PM
But they don't suck, as you seem to want to jump on and say. Women's basketball is continously one of the top 25 in the country. Men's Soccer is usually very good. Men's basketball has been on the plus side of .500 for years. The baseball team is VERY good.

But you just want to focus on football, which is especially not apt seeing that the article says the problem deals with EVERY sport.

Anrhydeddu
06-17-2003, 07:55 PM
Tulane had absolutely no guts to make the right decision (in eliminating D1 football), maybe Rutgers will be smarter. Or maybe football is more important than any other college sports programs.

Sharpieman
06-17-2003, 08:03 PM
Did I actually say they sucked? No, I was just pointing out that they are average. By the way, did the Men's basketball team make the Tourney this year? And is the baseball team in the World Series?

ISiddiqui
06-17-2003, 08:49 PM
Did I actually say they sucked? No, I was just pointing out that they are average.

No you didn't. You thought the story was about the football team, then talked about how they sucked (which they do), but it ain't all about football.

By the way, did the Men's basketball team make the Tourney this year? And is the baseball team in the World Series?

So every team that doesn't make the NCAA's or the World Series sucked or are average?? Are you contradicting your first sentence? I believe you are.

Sharpieman
06-17-2003, 08:54 PM
I never contradicted myself. I guess your just bitter or something because the Rutgers is no where near elite. I beileve an over .500 record in basketball is average. Also the baseball team made the Regionals this year before getting spanked by FSU 17-7. Rutgers sports are average overall.

ISiddiqui
06-17-2003, 09:02 PM
Rutgers sports are average overall.

While you continue to harp on the football team and say how much they suck, I know, I know. Like YOU said, it doesn't matter if Rutgers is on probation because the FOOTBALL team doesn't win. Believe it or not, college sports is about more than the football team!

Btw, I didn't know that going to the Regionals in any sport means you are 'average', especially when your season record was 36-20 and you are the THIRD seed in that regional.

Sharpieman
06-17-2003, 09:06 PM
Um....maybe you didn't read what I said...I said Rutgers sports are averge overall. Meaning not just the baseball or football or swimming, but ALL sports wrapped into one single category. Your right college sports is about more than just the football team. And the baseball team is pretty good. Not average.

ISiddiqui
06-17-2003, 09:08 PM
I said Rutgers sports are averge overall. Meaning not just the baseball or football or swimming, but ALL sports wrapped into one single category.

Yeah, I read it.. but you made a slam against the baseball team.

Sharpieman
06-17-2003, 09:09 PM
Ok ok, maybe the baseball thing was a little unjust.

ISiddiqui
06-18-2003, 04:49 PM
Yeah, sorry, I get a little touchy about these things... you wouldn't believe how many people hear me say Rutgers and they make a crack about the football team!