PDA

View Full Version : Star Wars Galaxies release date

Bonegavel
06-17-2003, 02:24 PM
http://www.lucasarts.com/products/galaxies/press5.htm

I don't know about you all, but I have vowed to never play another MMORPG since playing and hating Everquest. But, I will give it another whirl with this one.

Blade
06-17-2003, 02:30 PM
I just cannot get myself to pay for a game monthly just to play it...just seems like there is something wrong with that...

sachmo71
06-17-2003, 02:31 PM
I won't be playing this game.

I don't have the hardware, time, or patience to play this game. I know this game has the possiblility of being the greatest MMORPG of all-time, but I just don't see how they can get away from the "more of the same" effect. The same things that annoyed me in Everquest will still be in this game, because if you had to eliminate the biggest problem from the game, it wouldn't be mulitplayer anymore. It would just be me and a couple of friends attacking the Death Star, and not me and a couple of friends and some twerp calling me a "noob" because my torpedos just tacked in on the surface. *SIGH*

I hate people.

Bonegavel
06-17-2003, 02:41 PM
I understand where you are coming from Sach, but I don't mind paying $50 just for a chance to "drive" around the SW universe. The game gives you a month of subscription. So, for little more than $1 a day, I can check it out and cancel if it pisses me off.

I had the same opinion about this or any MMORPG after being completely annoyed at EQ. I don't know what happened, but it slowly grew on me like a fungus and now I want to at least take her for a spin.

Calis
06-17-2003, 02:47 PM
Sach, from playing the beta for 3-4 months, it is most definitely more of the same. I got hideously bored with it rather quickly. The same mistakes they made in EQ they're redoing in SWG, minus a few neat little tweaks they made.

Other than that, I found the combat to be really non-involved and boring for the most part.

I really think Dark Age did a much better job with combat than any of the other MMORPG's I've played. It just feels like you have more of a say.

That being said, don't go in expecting SWG to be the BEST MMORPG EVER, because it's hardly a step forward at all. If you like the genre as is, you'll probably like SWG, it's not a bad game, it just didn't do enough to make me want to play it.

Draft Dodger
06-17-2003, 03:04 PM
Originally posted by BoneGavel
I understand where you are coming from Sach, but I don't mind paying $50 just for a chance to "drive" around the SW universe. The game gives you a month of subscription. So, for little more than $1 a day, I can check it out and cancel if it pisses me off.

not bad, but a hell of a lot more expensive than any non-MMORPG.

RawIsDan
06-17-2003, 03:09 PM
Originally posted by Blade
I just cannot get myself to pay for a game monthly just to play it...just seems like there is something wrong with that...

Ditto.

Samdari
06-17-2003, 03:10 PM
Originally posted by Draft Dodger
not bad, but a hell of a lot more expensive than any non-MMORPG.
Explain how? You pay $50 for almost any major release. How many of them hold your full gaming attention for more than a month?

Past a month, far more expensive, the first month, I don't see how.

Neuqua
06-17-2003, 03:20 PM
*Disclaimer: I've never played EQ or any other MMORPG so I can't base my opinions against those games*

However, I've been in the SWG beta for about a month now and quite honestly I'm having a great time. I've always been a Star Wars geek. I'm probably one of the only few guys who actually enjoyed watching the last two movies Lucas released. This game does a really good job of placing me in the realm of Star Wars.

The look on my face when I first logged on and was walking around in and out of Mos Eisley was amazing.

Price is a bit steep, but I will probably go ahead and purchase the 6month or 12month plan.

Looks like for the next 6 months or so I will have more than enough games to play as I still play CM4 religiously. And then NCAA comes out next month along with Madden a couple months after that. I'm booked until Christmas it looks like.

sabotai
06-17-2003, 03:22 PM
"Explain how? You pay $50 for almost any major release. How many of them hold your full gaming attention for more than a month?"

For me personally, most of them hold my attention for more than a month.

And if they don't, I'll always have them (unless I sell or trade) so I can check them out at a later date.

Anrhydeddu
06-17-2003, 03:23 PM
And the revenues to constantly run/maintain their many servers and provide bandwidth should come from where?

Bonegavel
06-17-2003, 03:24 PM
It's good to see beta testers chiming in, and it is interesting to see the comments. I know one man's trash is another man's treasure, but if this game is more of the same as EQ, I don't think this will hold my attention too long.

For the beta testers, have you played Jedi Knight II: Outcast? and if so, is the combat similar to this? Or is it EQ-like, meaning that you click on your enemy repeatedly?

damnMikeBrown
06-17-2003, 03:26 PM
I'm in the Beta. The 26th had been ballied about as a projected date, but we all pretty much said no way. I'll buy the game, but not at release. I'm going to wait a while, as I've already beta'd it once.

Draft Dodger
06-17-2003, 03:36 PM
Originally posted by Samdari
Explain how? You pay $50 for almost any major release. How many of them hold your full gaming attention for more than a month?

Past a month, far more expensive, the first month, I don't see how.

I just finished NOLF2, which I installed about 2 months ago, and that's about as fast as any game I've ever finished.

Calis
06-17-2003, 03:36 PM
Bone, absolutely NOTHING like JK2 combat. It's a matter of clicking and watching, you have some special abilities that you can fire off occasionally, but it's a very passive combat system imo.

You don't click repeatedly though. It's one click, and watch.

Samdari
06-17-2003, 03:37 PM
Originally posted by sabotai
For me personally, most of them hold my attention for more than a month.
Wow, you must be very discriminating in your game purchases. If I make a list of all the games purchased in the last 12 months, the list of games that I would say I cared about playing past 30 days is pretty thin. CM4, NCAA football 2003 and Jedi Knight II are all that come to mind. For me, the 24 months before that of paying $10-$12 a month playing EQ was far more economical, and most of that time, I could not wait to play the game. I have not had that addictive feeling about a game since (although I enjoy CM4 a great deal).

Samdari
06-17-2003, 03:42 PM
Originally posted by BoneGavel
It's good to see beta testers chiming in, and it is interesting to see the comments. I know one man's trash is another man's treasure, but if this game is more of the same as EQ, I don't think this will hold my attention too long.

For the beta testers, have you played Jedi Knight II: Outcast? and if so, is the combat similar to this? Or is it EQ-like, meaning that you click on your enemy repeatedly?
Well, I am not encouraged that our Beta tester who hated it is a MMOG vet, while the one who liked it was a newb. Does not bode well for me.

Repeatedly click on the enemy in EQ? As a meleer there, you clicked on an enemy once to select it, turned attack on, then went and made a sandwich while the healers healed you. What repeated clicking are you talking about?

sabotai
06-17-2003, 03:45 PM
"Wow, you must be very discriminating in your game purchases. "

It helps when you're poor and can't spend much on games. :)