PDA

View Full Version : Andre the Giant: Lottery Pick?

bigdawg2003
06-17-2003, 11:43 PM
Link (http://sports.espn.go.com/nbadraft/d03/story?id=1569633)

In case you couldn't figure it out from the article, this disease is what Andre the Giant had, and is what made him the size he was. What I found curious was that there is a treatement that he can undergo to fix the situation. I guess this surgery wasn't around when Andre was alive, because I'd hate to think he could be alive but isn't because he didn't have this procedure done. That guy is amazing to watch on my old Wrestlemania tapes.

Axxon
06-17-2003, 11:55 PM
I had the pleasure of meeting Andre a couple of times when I was a kid. I think the world of him. He really seemed to enjoy being around kids and was indeed a gentle giant. That was back when he was a good guy though. I don't know how it would be meeting him as a heel. Yikes!

Airhog
06-18-2003, 12:20 AM
Some people close to andre say that he didnt die of the disease, but died of a broken heart because he couldnt wrestle anymore.

Towards the end of his life, Andre did have surgery on his back I believe.

SirFozzie
06-18-2003, 01:34 AM
he literally could not walk by the end of his career, because his body was breaking down. Read Dave Meltzer's book "Tributes" Great stuff on some past wrestlers who are sadly no longer with us.

Alf
06-18-2003, 08:08 AM
I guess it was the same disease than "Gidza Muresan" had. He played basketball for the Washington Bullets in the late 90s. He was still "growing" even after age 27...