PDA

View Full Version : Is this guy ever going to retire?!

stkelly52
06-18-2003, 12:12 PM
George Forman want's to try to win the heavy weight title again

http://espn.go.com/boxing/news/2003/0618/1569815.html

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
A boxing comeback as a 50-something? George Foreman has some limitations for it, but apparently he's all game.

The former two-time heavyweight champion told the New York Post in a story published Wednesday that a Vitali Klitschko upset of Lennox Lewis on Saturday in Los Angeles would intensity his focus to fight again.

"I'm very serious" about coming back, said Foreman, who will call the Klitschko-Lewis bout for HBO. "I've been serious about this all along."

Foreman will turn 55 in January. He last fought in November 1997, when he lost to Shannon Briggs, and told the Post he does not want to fight current champion Lewis or Mike Tyson.

"I've told people for the last five or six years, that at 55 I'm coming back," Foreman told the Post. "At my 55th birthday, it's going to take a lot of persuasion and a lot of hard work for me not to come back."

Foreman was inducted into the International Boxing Hall of Fame on June 8 -- even though he has never officially retired.

"I told them if they are putting me in the Hall of Fame with the hope that I'm never going to come back, don't do it," Foreman told the Post.

He said he works out all the time in Kingwood, Texas, a suburb of Houston, but doesn't spar. Foreman said that he must drop down to, for him, a miniscule 225 pounds to at least be competitive in the ring. Foreman said he is "a lot over that" weight at this time.

"I want to be examined properly by my doctors," he told the Post. "I'm always given a clean bill of health."

Foreman grew up in Marshall, Texas, and was a self-proclaimed mugger and street brawler by age 15. He found the sport that would make him famous after joining the Job Corps, where a counselor and boxing coach redirected his life.

Foreman won the National AAU heavyweight championship in 1968, then Olympic gold at the Summer Games in Mexico City in just his 25th amateur bout.

With ex-heavyweight champ Sonny Liston as his sparring partner, Foreman turned pro in 1969 and ripped through opponents, winning his first 37 fights, 34 by knockout.

On Jan. 22, 1973, the hard-punching Foreman claimed the heavyweight crown by dropping champion Joe Frazier to the canvas six times in two rounds before knocking him out in Jamaica.

After successfully defending his title twice, Foreman met Ali in the "Rumble in the Jungle" in Zaire, on Oct. 30, 1974 and was KO'd in the eighth round.

Foreman continued boxing until March 17, 1977, when he dropped a 12-round decision to Jimmy Young. In the locker room after the fight, Foreman said he underwent a religious experience that took him from the ring to the pulpit. He continues to preach at his Church of the Lord Jesus Christ.

After a 10-year absence, Foreman astounded the boxing world by returning to the ring despite being overweight, out of shape and long past his prime.

And on Nov. 5, 1994, at age 45, he knocked out 26-year-old Michael Moorer in the 10th round to win the WBA and IBF heavyweight titles.

Foreman told the Post he wants to take advantage of an inexperienced fighter to win the title for the third time, which is why he wouldn't fight Lewis, he said. Foreman The Commentator gives Klitschko a chance against Lewis.

"[Lewis is] too big," Foreman said. "He's experienced and he has the reach. ... Get Lennox Lewis out of the business, I could come back tomorrow."

He said he doesn't want to fight Tyson for other reasons.

"I wouldn't even feel right fighting Mike Tyson," Foreman said. "Too many guys look like they decide if they want to get famous just go hurt Mike Tyson. For the first time, when Lennox Lewis fought Mike Tyson, I said, 'Why is that big guy beating on Mike Tyson like that? Why doesn't he finish him off?' I felt sorry for Tyson."

Foreman has a career record of 76-5 with 68 KOs and has made far more money outside the ring than he did in it by pitching his fat-cutting grill across the country.

Information from The Associated Press was used in this report.

Cuckoo
06-18-2003, 01:05 PM
On a related note, am I the only one who doesn't own one of these grills?

Franklinnoble
06-18-2003, 01:11 PM
Originally posted by Cuckoo

My George Foreman grill was pretty much all I ever used to prepare hot food (aside from my microwave oven) when I was single. Now that I'm married, I needn't trifle with such things. ;)

More on the topic - I don't blame Big George for planning a comeback. Heavyweight boxing is a joke, and has been for a long time. Aside from Lennox Lewis (and he's really not all that great), there's no one I don't think he couldn't beat, even at 55.

scooper
06-18-2003, 01:14 PM
I used to love the GF grill. We used to live in the upstairs apartment of a two story and it was a pain to carry food downstairs and drag the grill out of the garage.

Now that we bought a house with a covered deck the grill sits right outside the kitchen door, the we hardly ever use old George anymore.

JeeberD
06-18-2003, 02:33 PM
Originally posted by Cuckoo

I don't have one either! :)

Sandwiches and Mac and Cheese are good enough for me...

Marmel
06-18-2003, 02:39 PM
But you can't beat a sandwich heated up on a GF grill. Yum.

Radii
06-18-2003, 02:52 PM
I use my foreman grill at least 4 times a week. It's a godsend for a single guy who finds it a struggle to just remember to get to the grocery store and buy meat, much less prepare it myself.

sabotai
06-18-2003, 03:04 PM
A couple of people I think that could probably take Foreman would be Lewis (obviously), Chris Byrd, Roy Jones Jr., Wladamir Klitscho (sp?)...

IMO, Foreman got lucky against Moorer. That's th eonly reason he became champion again. His comeback the last time was not a huge success until that fight with Moorer when a couple of top contenders couldn't fight Moorer for various reasons.

sabotai
06-18-2003, 03:04 PM
dola,

Sounds like I need to get me one of those grills. :)

Franklinnoble
06-18-2003, 03:09 PM
You can get the small ones pretty cheap at Target... the larger grills are good if you're cooking for more than one person, but if you just wanna grill up a quick burger, steak, or chicken breast, the small ones are perfect for single guys in apartments.

Marmel
06-18-2003, 03:15 PM
Originally posted by sabotai
Wladamir Klitscho

Did you not see Vlad's glass chin in his last fight. He respectability has tumbled way down after that pathetic performance.

Craptacular
06-18-2003, 03:46 PM
The GF grills are awesome. Kind of a pain to clean everytime (if that's your thing), but still worth it. In a few months, however, I will have a nice gas grill (with a house and deck attached to it), and the GF won't get much use.

Anrhydeddu
06-18-2003, 03:52 PM
Got my wife one earlier this year. Great, great device except that she absolutely hates the clean part. Had a really nice grilled salmon on it for Father's Day.

Franklinnoble
06-18-2003, 03:52 PM
Originally posted by Craptacular
Kind of a pain to clean everytime (if that's your thing),

So, basically, you just use it over and over again without cleaning? Does this include the little grease tray? That thing gets pretty gnarly after it's been sitting out for a while without cleaning...

Craptacular
06-18-2003, 04:01 PM
Originally posted by Franklinnoble
So, basically, you just use it over and over again without cleaning? Does this include the little grease tray? That thing gets pretty gnarly after it's been sitting out for a while without cleaning...

No, we clean it everytime, but I've had friends who cook on it a few times before really cleaning the grill surfaces off. However, I think they at least dumped out and rinsed off the grease tray.

Anrhydeddu
06-18-2003, 04:07 PM
I heard the trick is to clean it while it's still hot. (wait, that doesn't sound right)

Craptacular
06-18-2003, 04:09 PM
Well, it's not far off. It's easier to clean when it's still warm and the grease hasn't hardened yet.

sabotai
06-18-2003, 04:18 PM
"Did you not see Vlad's glass chin in his last fight. He respectability has tumbled way down after that pathetic performance."

Once apon a time, Lennox Lewis got knocked out in the 2nd round by Oliver McCall, someone who never punched as hard as Corrie Sanders does.

Most fighters have a fight or two in which they look a lot worse than they are. Judge Wlad not by how he did against Corrie Sanders, but how he does after Corrie Sanders. Besides, there was also a major collision of their heads in the first round. IMO, that more harm than Corrie's punches.