PDA

View Full Version : Flying to Florida to Interview for a job

Blackadar
06-18-2003, 07:18 PM
It's funny the way things happen.

For those who weren't around or don't remember, I had the boss from hell at my current company. When my previous Boss ("Bob", who I consider my mentor) left, I was passed up for promotion so they could move The Shithead into the position (internal lateral transfer) and he turned out to be a racist, sexist, drunk pig who eventually got fired. There's a thread around here somewhere about it, but it was the worst time of my professional career.

Then they promoted me. Needless to say, I've been successful - I've increased sales 400% (no shit) in 3 months. My group went from worst to first in the region in 2 months. So now I'm a successful, up-and-coming Branch Manager. Frankly, give me about 3-6 more months and I'll be competiting for the best office in the company in one of its smallest markets. I'm still a bit unhappy with my organization though, for reasons past and present (they don't believe in "atta boys", whereas I believe in giving them out on a daily basis).

Well, things happen when you don't expect it. My previous boss (Bob, the one I love), called me the other day. It seems they have an opening in Florida to be the GM (Bob has that position in another area) and he strongly recommended they talk with me. Sweeeeeeeeeeet. After two phone interviews, they're flying me to Florida for a personal visit/interview. I've gotten great vibes and feedback already - I think they think they've found their candidate. The funny thing is their corporate headquarters is in NC - where I currently reside. That they're spending the money to fly me to FL is a good sign.

<b>Has anyone had this experience? If so, any suggestions or advice?</b> I've never been on what will end up being a 36 hour interview. We're talking about the whole shebang - dinner, office tour, sitting through THEIR presentations, MY presentations, interviews, discussions, etc. I'm confident in my own abilities, but I've never been in their industry before.

I'd love the job. It's a promotion, raise, move, different industry, etc. I'd also love to set the office sales record (I'm close this month) and then turn in my notice. I'll keep you posted - I leave next Thursday.

Swaggs
06-18-2003, 08:27 PM
Good luck Blacky.

Sounds like a nice change of pace for you.

ice4277
06-18-2003, 09:09 PM
I've never had this experience but from what you are writing it sounds pretty damn good. I guess this goes to show that, if you put up with a ton of shit at some point, you will be rewarded for your perserverance with what you deserve. I'd wish you luck with the interview, but you probably won't need it.

3ric
06-19-2003, 10:06 AM
Just be true to yourself. That's what got you in the great position you are now. Don't do a thing different!

albionmoonlight
06-19-2003, 10:42 AM
You know this already, but don't drink too much at dinner/social events. If the people taking you out get wine with dinner, go ahead and get wine--but don't become the "life of the party." I have a one drink maximum in interview settings. Oh--and get foods that minimize the chance for "accidents" or poor table manners. Long noodles have the potential for being slopping and potentially dripping sauce on your tie. Chicken breasts are easy.

But you knew that.

Otherwise, try to be as relaxed as possible. Easy to say--harder to do. Also, don't forget that you are, in a sense, interviewing them as well. This is your best chance to make sure that this is a move that you would want to make if it were offered to you.

Good luck.

KWhit
06-19-2003, 11:29 AM
Oh, and at dinner, be careful of how you answer any "illegal" type questions such as do you have any children, are you planning on starting a family soon, etc. These are questions they CANNOT ask you at a formal interview, but they can sneak in at a social setting.

If things like this come up, you shouldn't lie, but you should be as guarded as possible. If you smoke, don't let them know it, etc.

SunDancer
06-19-2003, 11:45 AM
Equitte dining...were drilled over this at college my first semster. Damn Hospitality program. LOL

Some tips on that:

1) Don't order the cheapest thing, but don't order the most expensive thing on the menu.

2) Eat small bits and take your time. If something is on your plate and you don't like it, just take a few, small bites.

Blackadar
06-22-2003, 07:59 PM
Well, it's confirmed. I'm going to Florida on Thursday.

In my best Mr. Burns' voice...

"Excellent"

JeeberD
06-23-2003, 12:48 AM
Great news. Best of luck to you...

Franklinnoble
06-23-2003, 01:00 PM
At this point, they want you. I've never been flown to an interview (and I've done it several times) and NOT been made an offer. I've turned many of them down... mostly because I didn't really wanna relocate, but also because I didn't hear the right answer when I said,

"Show me the money."

So, basically, don't go there thinking, "Gee, whiz... am I gonna get the job?" The job is yours. Go there thinking "I wonder if these homies are gonna flash the bling-bling." Seriously... if you're in a position to earn a performance bonus at your current job (even if your not - make it up, if you can get away with it), tell them you'll need a "signing bonus" to make it worth leaving (never hurts to ask). Get relocation money. Ask about a profit sharing and/or stock option plan, and insist that you be made a fully-vested participant.

Oh, and the HR people are always blood-sucking whores. Chances are they've got the hottest chick in the office working as their "recruiter." Don't let her sweet-talk you into taking less than you can get. I see this happen a lot - especially in the I.T. field where most of us geeks don't often have the attention of a woman that can stop traffic with a miniskirt and a tank top.

Just my two cents...

Tony
06-23-2003, 01:07 PM
good luck, blacky... been a long time, hope all is well. sounds like you have some exciting stuff in store for you. =]

WussGawd
06-23-2003, 01:29 PM
Blacky. This is great news. :)

I remember reading about your work woes a few months ago, and I'm glad to see things are going well.

Just a note of caution. Contrary to Franklinnoble's comment, you aren't necessarily a lock just because they're flying you out (I had a friend get blown out on a last interview flying into here from Connecticut, where he lives), so I wouldn't walk in thinking you have a job and doing your best Rod Tidwell "Show me the money." impression.

On the other hand, if there are other candidates left, there aren't many, and you are likely to be their first choice.

However, I can echo Franklin's sentiments on one thing. I wouldn't jump on this just to get out of your old job, which at least is better now.

But if the money is right, and ethically the company is a good fit (remember, you might not always be working for your old boss) it sounds like you've got a great opportunity.

Good luck!

Kodos
06-23-2003, 02:47 PM
Good luck, Blackie. I think a good question to ask during the interview is "Do you ever press charges?"

(Thank you, Jack Handey.) :)

Marc Vaughan
06-23-2003, 06:12 PM
Best of luck Blackie - I remember reading the shite you went through previously and you deserve the break (besides if you hadn't impressed the heck of your last boss you wouldn't have the opportunity so you doubly deserve it imho :) ).

With regards to flying in, that does imho mean they're seriously considering you - but it doesn't mean its a cert (as I'm sure you're aware) ... just do your best and act as naturally as possible, I'll keep fingers crossed for you.

oykib
06-23-2003, 07:49 PM
Fuckin' greedy free agents.

That's why I can't support any companies anymore. As soon as you become attached to a worker, they up and move. Just follow the money, Black.

I guess, next, you're gonna tell us that your making the move to have a stable environment for your family-- and that you want to make sure that they're taken care of.

I swear: names and numbers should be attached to uniforms with velcro these days.;)

sterlingice
06-23-2003, 09:05 PM
Well, this certainly beats the last time you posted about your company. Thankfully that ass was fired.

Also, listen up to Franklinnoble- it's smart advice.

SI

Blackadar
06-24-2003, 06:17 AM
Originally posted by Tony
good luck, blacky... been a long time, hope all is well. sounds like you have some exciting stuff in store for you. =]

Do my eyes deceive me? Tony? Whoa!

I won't go down thinking I have the job, but I am going down with the 'tude that this is a two-way interview. Which, of course, it is.

One thing I'm not looking forward to...I HATE to fly. And when I get off the plane, the owner is personally picking me up at the airport. Ug.

I went out and bought a new suit, shirt, tie, shoes, etc. Needed a new one anyway. Thank goodness Mens' Wearhouse was having a sale - bought a $600 suit for $399. It looks sweet. I pick it up tomorrow night.

For those who are in the business world or are going to it, I can't recommend Mens' Wearhouse enough. George Zimmer is right. You spend a bit more than you would in a true "discount" store, but it's worth every penny if you have a good clerk.

ctmason
06-24-2003, 10:02 AM
Men's Wearhouse is good, but it's K&G for me all the way. Have bought Perry Ellis (my favorite) suits there for just under $250, good deals on shirts, belts, and pants.

http://www.kgmens.com/about/index.cfm

Anrhydeddu
06-24-2003, 10:11 AM
You guys actually wear suits??!?? How shameful. :D

Marc Vaughan
06-24-2003, 10:30 AM
suits - what is this strange term you are using, please explain it to me ;)

(Work dress for me is jeans and a T-Shirt* .... :D)

*Soccer shirt of some description is also acceptable at a pinch

Anrhydeddu
06-24-2003, 10:34 AM
Marc, apparently it is something guys want to wear at weddings (that's peculiar to me because I didn't) and also compelled to wear to go to work. I think it may have something to do with comformity and oppression. :D

(Work dress for me has always been jeans and a T-shirt/polo shirt)

albionmoonlight
06-24-2003, 10:42 AM
Ahhh... but didn't you hear about the "business casual" revolution? Now, instead of all wearing similar looking conformist suits, young professionals can express their individuality and freedom of spirit by all wearing the exact same business causal clothing.

For instance, if you wear a red shirt with kakhi slacks, it says to the world "I like red shirts," which is a completely different message than if you were to wear a blue shirt with kakhi slacks.

There is something vaguely disconcerting about the DC Metro in the morning--filled to the brim with 25-30 year olds all wearing the exact same thing.

I can see why some leave the rat race.

Anrhydeddu
06-24-2003, 10:49 AM
if you wear a red shirt with kakhi slacks, it says to the world "I like red shirts,"

Troy, you like red shirts? :)

Draft Dodger
06-24-2003, 12:48 PM
good luck Blacky.

Blackadar
06-24-2003, 04:41 PM
Actually, believe it or not, I like wearing suits.

It's sort of my mental "jog" that it's time to go to work. It helps me focus.

Don't get me wrong, I don't want to wear one mowing the yard, but in an office environment, it's helpful.

Draft Dodger
06-24-2003, 04:48 PM
if I could wear ties (I cannot handle having things tied tightly to my neck) I'd wear suits more often.

Blackadar
06-26-2003, 06:49 AM
Leavin'

On a jet plane

Don't know when I'll be back again

(actually, late Friday evening)

Wish me luck!

Senator
06-26-2003, 07:03 AM
You got this! Tear em up!

Alf
06-26-2003, 07:14 AM
Good luck Blacky !

Craptacular
06-26-2003, 09:15 AM
If I could go back in time, I'd kill whoever came up with the idea to willingly tie a long piece of ugly fabric around your neck ... by hanging of course.

Blackadar
06-27-2003, 09:45 PM
Guess who's back

Back Again

Blacky's Back

Tell a Friend

Guess who's back, guess who's back, guess who's back, guess who's back, guess who's back...

Since it's late, I'll give the short version.

Thought it went well. Loved the company and the management. Got positive feedback, but they play it close to their chest. Should hear in the next week and a half about the outcome. Hopeful.

Good night. zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

tucker342
06-27-2003, 09:57 PM
wait, that doesn't rhyme:D

Glad it went well!

Blackadar
06-30-2003, 06:31 PM
Got a bit of feedback from my inside source today. It appears that everything went very well. I'm hoping for an offer soon.

Please keep your fingers crossed for me!

Swaggs
06-30-2003, 09:37 PM
Good luck Blacky...

Fritz
07-01-2003, 07:02 AM
are your arms tired?

Alf
07-08-2003, 09:30 AM
Any news ?

Blackadar
07-08-2003, 05:41 PM
Going for my 3rd and final interview next week.

Franklinnoble
07-08-2003, 06:01 PM
It's in the bag. Read my above post, and sing with me, brother:

"Show me the moneeeeeeyyyy!"

Blackadar
07-08-2003, 06:37 PM
I wish it were in the bag. They're down to two candidates, so at least I have a 50-50.

Franklinnoble
07-08-2003, 06:46 PM
Do you know for CERTAIN they have a second candidate? They could be just keeping that one on the hook to keep you from asking for too much... sort of like when NFL free agents visit Arizona, get an offer from the Cardinals, then sign for comparable money with a real contender.

Buzzbee
07-08-2003, 08:49 PM
Originally posted by Franklinnoble
Do you know for CERTAIN they have a second candidate? They could be just keeping that one on the hook to keep you from asking for too much... sort of like when NFL free agents visit Arizona, get an offer from the Cardinals, then sign for comparable money with a real contender.

Or they could be keeping Blackie on the hook to keep the other candidate in line. Sorta like when NFLfree agents work out for Green Bay, but end up in Dallas.

JeeberD
07-08-2003, 11:15 PM
NFL free agents end up in Dallas?

Blackadar
07-09-2003, 06:07 AM
Originally posted by Franklinnoble

Not for certain, but I have an inside source there as well.

Alf
09-15-2003, 07:35 AM
Has there been a conclusion to this job interview ? Or did I miss it ?

Eaglesfan27
09-15-2003, 01:02 PM
This is one of the hanging threads where I've waited for a conclusion as well... hopefully a good conclusion..

azjoe_02
09-16-2003, 06:39 PM
Enquiring minds want to know.....:rolleyes:

Blackadar
09-16-2003, 07:11 PM
Yea, I turned it down. :)

Franklinnoble
09-16-2003, 07:19 PM
Originally posted by Blackadar
Yea, I turned it down. :)

I hear the benefits were better, but at the end of the day, it just didn't pay as well as his career as a male crack whore.

Blackadar
09-16-2003, 07:28 PM
Yea, $40 per month is tough to beat!!!

Blackadar
10-23-2003, 08:39 PM
What's the first line of this thread?

"It's funny the way things happen"

This FL job didn't work out for me. Good thing too...the company shut it's doors this week. Lucky, lucky, lucky...