PDA

View Full Version : your favorite aspect of each pro sport?

cthomer5000
06-19-2003, 03:50 PM
In the thread about whether the transfer system would work, I started thinking about my favorite parts of each sport. If I was creating my own league, what bits and pieces would I steal from each sport to have the best league possible?

soccer: the relegation system. Imagine how competitve every match would have to be when you are 1 step from being bumped out of the major leagues?

football: the salary cap, no guaranteed contracts, netural site championship

baseball: I liked it when the AL and NL never played.

hockey: I liked the divisions/awards named after legends of the game, and the stanley cup is the single coolest trophy in sport.

stkelly52
06-19-2003, 04:21 PM
The history behind the Stanley Cup is great, as well as the fact that each of the players gets to take it with them.

Favorite part of Football, the sound of a crushing hit, and seeing a some one get completly leveled

Baseball: I love how much team work is invlolved. One player can not make much of a difference in how well the team will do over the season.

SunDancer
06-19-2003, 05:17 PM
I love college football's atmosphere, and the late Sat. afternoon games.

Travis
06-19-2003, 05:29 PM
One thing I'd implement in any league I start (heh, right), would be a salary system where there is a minimum salary that all players make (a rookie and veteran level), and regulated bonuses based on team and individual accomplishments, where the individual accomplishments would be based on individual position and league averages.

Hockey: The closeness of the fans to the game and the speed.

Football: Elaborate scheme's, disguising your intentions, etc.

Baseball: Subtleties, (and prior to the longball era) strategy

GoldenEagle
06-19-2003, 05:31 PM
I love it when you go to a big time college basketball game and you can just feel the electrcity.

Karim
06-19-2003, 07:20 PM
Great thread!

Soccer: The transfer system where smaller teams can sell off good players for cash to reinvest into the team. The relegation system to remove teams from the "majors".

Football: The salary cap, non-guaranteed contracts and weighted schedule.

Hockey: The marathon playoffs, restricted free agency until age 31 (or for 10 year pros under the average salary), the draft being a family affair held in various sites each year, and players being able to spend a day with the championship trophy.

Basketball: The focus on the stars of the league.

Baseball: The restricted Hall of Fame for those who should really be there.

cthomer5000
06-19-2003, 08:07 PM
I'll second Karim on the very tough Baseball hall of fame. It's the way it should be. As much as I think the NFL is the greatest of the pro sports, they're far too leniant in HOF selection.

tucker342
06-19-2003, 09:38 PM
Soccer: relegation system adds so much more importance to the regular season. Would make it so much more competitve.

Football: the salary cap, netural site championship

Hockey: Stanley Cup Trophy

ColtCrazy
06-19-2003, 09:40 PM
I think the relegation system would be great in baseball. Never see it, but it would make things interesting. Football might be very interesting too. Every game means a lot now, think about what a relegation game would do.......at least it would make that December Lion-Viking match up a little more interesting.

But a relegation system and a salary cap would have trouble co-existing, I would think.

EagleFan
06-19-2003, 11:42 PM
Soccer: Relegation if you're talking league wide. A well set up play if you're talking about in game. It's kind of like watching a work of art when all the pieces fall into place just right.

Football: I'll second the salary cap for elague wide. In game, it used to be just watching Barry Sanders with the ball. He could make your jaw drop in amazement two or three times before even getting past the line of scrimmage. Makes you wonder what he could have done if he had an offensive line and he didn't have to start making those moves until 4 or 5 yards down field.

Baseball: Nothing about the league as a whole. It has become so full of BS that there is nothing even close to what it once was, before free agency. In game, the 'chess match' between pitcher and batter.

Basketball: Maybe the salary cap and lottery system for league wide. In game not much anymore since the pro game seems to no longer follow anything that is close to the rule book. They let start get away with almost anything and don't call much the proper way any more. As fun as it is to watch Iverson, his cross over is not a legal move as he always carries the ball when he makes the move. That said, it seems that over half the league carries on their normal dribble. Not to mention traveling and palming that don't get called.

Hockey: League wide there is little to like. In game it used to be watching skilled players have room to play without being mugged all over the ice. Expand the rink to international level and let it return to a game where skill can really provide an advantage. I want to watch the skilled players do what they can do and not watch some expansion team play the trap all damn game.

Box Lacrosse: The game has so much potential with it's physical aspects and an increasingly awesome skill level being presented. It just has no clue in marketing itself as it tries to draw the hockey fight fans and turn it into some brawl on the court.

Golf: I can't watch it a lot but just seeing the skill that these players have is quite impressive. Nothing like watching a precision approach shot that sticks a few feet from the hole. I appreciated this only after playing the game myself and seeing just how hard the game can be to play like that on a consistent basis.

NASCAR: Watching the final few laps of a close race is very edge of your seat. Of course the crashes are fun to watch too, as long as everyone walks away from them.

scooper
06-20-2003, 07:43 AM
Football: Intensity!!!

baseball: uhhhhh

basketball: hmmmmmm

hockey: wellllllll

soccer: :snicker: