PDA

View Full Version : Watch Out NL Central!

Neuqua
06-20-2003, 01:59 AM
Cubs trade IF Mark Bellhorn and prospect Travis Anderson to Colorado for IF Jose Hernandez.

Yes, Jose Hernandez.

Shoot me.

QuikSand
06-20-2003, 06:08 AM
Can you feel the breeze already?

tucker342
06-20-2003, 07:18 AM
wow, you sound excited!

jerem77
06-20-2003, 07:24 AM
A former cubbie returns home [wiping tear from eye]

scooper
06-20-2003, 07:25 AM
I thought this was going to be a thread about the Reds.

Don't mess with them.:mad:

cuervo72
06-20-2003, 07:39 AM
I like the Cubs' thinking. Bat Hernandez before Sosa, so he gets the wind blowing out with his three whiffs. That should give Sosa those extra couple of feet he needs to go yard. And it's completely legal!

Craptacular
06-20-2003, 09:32 AM
Remember this clown was one of the Brewers' big acquisitions in the last few years, along with such immortals as Jeffrey Hammonds and Glendon Rusch.

Coffee Warlord
06-20-2003, 09:42 AM
The Cubs fans have seen Jose Hernandex play, when he was younger.

Lets hope he aged realllllllllllllllllllllly well, is all I gotta say.

cincyreds
06-20-2003, 10:38 AM
The K Zone has just entered the building...

The only guy who can hit .300 and strikeout a ton!

I don't understand this trade at all.

On the other hand, Bellhorn has some good pop in his bat, so this may be the time to pick him up in fantasy leagues.

Bellhorn's value has increased with this trade.

ShagVT
06-20-2003, 11:04 AM
Wow. I suppose the Cubs figured that they weren't getting enough strike outs from Gonzo and Sosa?

Jose isn't a bad player, and Bellhorn was kind of a flash in the pan, so I can't complain too much, but I wish the Cubs would get serious about getting a regular third baseman. It's been what - 30 years since Santo retired?

How do you go 30 years without ever having the same starter three years in a row at third base?

TroyF
06-20-2003, 11:34 AM
QS,

I think the temperature just went up about 5 degrees in Colorado. :)

TroyF

Cuckoo
06-20-2003, 01:14 PM
Here I go again, being the eternal optimist. Well, I suppose it's a condition of most Cubs fans.

I see this trade in a couple of ways. First of all, it's a nice change of scenery for both players who had been struggling. Bellhorn won't play everyday in Colorado either so I wouldn't recommend picking him up in a bunch of fantasy leagues. His value really doesn't go up too much, I'd say. Hernandez, on the other hand, goes to a team in contention who could use a little pop. At this point, he'll play everyday, something he wasn't doing in Colorado, and I suspect his fantasy value will actually increase.

Second, it's a bargaining chip for the Cubs. It was clear to anyone with a brain that they are lusting after Mike Lowell. Florida knew that as well and felt they could get the Cubs to overpay. Now, the Cubs can at least say that they've moved Bellhorn and brought in a former All-Star. It may not help them much in the bargaining with Florida, but I suspect it can't hurt.

And third, this really doesn't hurt the Cubs at all. They'll still go for Lowell, and if they get him, Hernandez will move to bench duty. He's a powerful right-hander who can play several positions much better than Bellhorn. With Karros playing a lot of first because of Choi's injury, they really needed some bench pop. This is all not to mention the fact that strikeouts and all, Hernandez is a player who's been around and has been to the postseason. Bellhorn sure wasn't giving them anything.

So, overall, if some idiot is up there in the Cubs front office thinking to himself, "Now this is what we need to put us over the top," then I may no longer be a Cubs fan. But, if you take this trade for what it is, it certainly can't hurt.

Franklinnoble
06-20-2003, 01:34 PM
Originally posted by Craptacular
Remember this clown was one of the Brewers' big acquisitions in the last few years, along with such immortals as Jeffrey Hammonds and Glendon Rusch.

What ever happened to Jeffrey Hammonds? I remember when the Orioles first brought him up, and he seemed to have all kinds of potential...

JeeberD
06-20-2003, 01:51 PM
I'm going to see the Astros play the Rangers tonight!!! That's just what we need to turn around our less than stellar play the past week. Astros WILL win the NL Central, and this is where we turn on our afterburners...

Go 'Stros!!!!

GoldenEagle
06-20-2003, 01:53 PM
Originally posted by JeeberD
I'm going to see the Astros play the Rangers tonight!!! That's just what we need to turn around our less than stellar play the past week. Astros WILL win the NL Central, and this is where we turn on our afterburners...

Go 'Stros!!!!

Great...another Stros fan.

My girlfriend is a Stros fan and she is always blabbing about how good they are. Makes me sick.

JeeberD
06-20-2003, 02:07 PM
I heart GoldenEagle's girlfriend... :D

Craptacular
06-20-2003, 02:28 PM
Originally posted by Franklinnoble
What ever happened to Jeffrey Hammonds? I remember when the Orioles first brought him up, and he seemed to have all kinds of potential...

He had one good year ... in Colorado. So, the Brewers decided he would be a lifesaver and signed him to a fat contract, despite his history of injury problems. In the last 2+ years, he missed more than half of the games due to injury (played in 187 of 380), and batted .248 with a whopping 16 HRs and 65 RBI. The Brewers released him a couple of weeks ago when he came back from his latest injury.

sterlingice
06-20-2003, 02:36 PM
Originally posted by cuervo72
I like the Cubs' thinking. Bat Hernandez before Sosa, so he gets the wind blowing out with his three whiffs. That should give Sosa those extra couple of feet he needs to go yard. And it's completely legal!

:D

SI

Cuckoo
06-20-2003, 03:47 PM
I heart GoldenEagle's girlfriend... :D

Look out GoldenEagle, Jeeber's moving in on her. I see a Kyle Farnsworth-like take down of an Astros fan coming. :D

JeeberD
06-20-2003, 03:53 PM
Originally posted by Cuckoo
Look out GoldenEagle, Jeeber's moving in on her. I see a Kyle Farnsworth-like take down of an Astros fan coming. :D

Yeah, my girlfriend would kick my ass... :D

GoldenEagle
06-20-2003, 04:06 PM
Yeah, my girlfriend would kick my ass... :D

So would I :D