PDA

View Full Version : Music--Old Fogie

albionmoonlight
06-20-2003, 12:03 PM
I just realized the other day that I am a complete old fogie when it comes to popular music. Movies and TV, I manage to keep somewhat aware of and will partake in. However, I never listen to, and rarely hear, new music.

At home, I listen to either CDs or NPR. My CDs tend to be Bluegrass/Folk, Blues, Jazz, Classical, and Classic Rock (Beatles, Stones, etc.). Most of this music was recorded years ago. I still listen to new stuff, but only in these narrow genres (Keb Mo and Polecat Creek are two groups from whom I will buy a CD as soon as it comes out.)

My main driving is from DC to Chapel Hill. Richmond has 2 decent classic rock stations, so when I listen to the radio in the car, that is pretty much the only thing to which I listen.

The point of all this is that I realized that I am VERY out of the popular music scene. I was waiting in line the other day, and I heard a song discussing a "skater boy" and the various pitfalls that befell a woman who would not date him before he became famous. I realized that this must be the song "Sk8er Boi" about which I have been reading. I learned from this board that this song is so popular that it has inspired a movie. And I had not heard it until yesterday.

I was also reading on CNN that apparently the American Idol winners, Kelly, Ruben, and Clay(?) are all putting out songs and albums that are selling really well. I have not heard any of them.

I don't really have a point to make with this post. I have nothing against the new music. This probably isn't even much of a revelation, but it struck me--especially because I never made a conscious decision to stop listening to pop radio songs--it just happened. I guess it is a natural part of aging.

Anrhydeddu
06-20-2003, 12:06 PM
Wait till you get to be my age. :)

Marmel
06-20-2003, 12:08 PM
I try to make a point of listening to new music, reading new things, watch new shows, and in general keeping on top of what the under 20 crowd is doing.

I have no idea why I do this. I like to know the latest in all fads, even if I do not like them or partake in them.

Maybe it keeps me feeling younger. Who knows.

bigdawg2003
06-20-2003, 12:12 PM
I also like to keep track of what the under 20 crowd is doing. Smoking dope, snorting coke, shooting heroin, and in general keeping on top of what the under 20 crowd is putting into their bodies.

I have no idea why I do this. I like to know the latest in all fads, even if I do not like them or partake in them.

Maybe it's because I'm 19. Who knows.

condors
06-20-2003, 12:15 PM
music was the first thing that me feel old for the first time in my life(happens every day now)- i went into the music store and when i was asked, "do you need help with anything?" i said "Where do you keep Triumph tapes?" "Who?",
I haven't been the same since

Easy Mac
06-20-2003, 12:16 PM
I first felt old when I had to card a woman who wanted to buy alcohol. She looked 30 but showed me her ID. She was 23. I thought, damn, she's 2 years older than me.

SplitPersonality1
06-20-2003, 05:43 PM
Originally posted by condors
music was the first thing that me feel old for the first time in my life(happens every day now)- i went into the music store and when i was asked, "do you need help with anything?" i said "Where do you keep Triumph tapes?" "Who?",
I haven't been the same since

Triumph the insult dog makes tapes? What's a tape? What the heck is a 45 anyway?

j/k. I'm in the same boat

WussGawd
06-20-2003, 05:48 PM
Dollar's First Sign of Aging:

Most of your music collection is old enough to vote.

"Yes, son. Believe it or not, Sting was in a pretty good band before he became a boring lounge singer wannabe."

cthomer5000
06-20-2003, 05:49 PM
I'm not surprised by "Sk8r Boi" becoming a movie. I am not kidding when I tell you this - the first two times I heard the song I thought it was a commercial for some teenaged TV show. It sounds so damn corny, and the lyrics so incredibly inane.

"He was a boy, she was a girl" Thanks, we probably could have figured that out with just the "he" and "she" part.

wbonnell
06-20-2003, 08:53 PM
Shoot! My music tastes are stuck in a time warp circa 1992. What's more, even that is fading. Most of my music listening time is now consumed by the great composers, and boy is there a wealth of material to choose from.

As for pop culture in general, well...

- I don't watch TV- period. Okay, I occasionally watch the history channel or discovery, but that's it.
- I occasionally read pop culture books (recently read 'A Song of Fire and Ice'), but I try to restrict myself to works that are out of copyright and, thus, available for free on Project Gutenberg. I have an excellent dedicated ebook reader.
- I listen to NPR to and from work. I wouldn't have the foggiest idea what's on the "real" radio.

How old does that make me?

wbonnell
06-20-2003, 08:54 PM
dola- oh, and the news (paper, web, or tv) is filled with too much crap, so I don't keep up with current events...

Anrhydeddu
06-20-2003, 08:55 PM
How old does that make me?

Still younger than me. Lol. :)

wbonnell
06-20-2003, 09:02 PM
Originally posted by Anrhydeddu
Still younger than me. Lol. :)

Then you must <i>really</i> be an anachronism.

Anrhydeddu
06-20-2003, 09:02 PM
I like to think so. :)

Blackadar
06-21-2003, 02:02 PM
Gordon Lightfoot rules!

Axxon
06-21-2003, 06:47 PM
Originally posted by Blackadar
Gordon Lightfoot rules!

If you start singing Wreck of the Edmond Fitzgerald I'm going to ... well, I don't know what I'm going to do exactly but it won't be pleasant I can assure you MR Blackadar.

:)

44Niners
06-22-2003, 05:43 PM
Hows this for feeling old.

I am a football coach on the freshman team for a local high school and last week we started summer workouts. Just lifting and running.

So we get the kids on the track and we are running them through the various runs and one of the exercise is called “walter payton’s” a basic exaggerated high step.

So we are trying to explain what a “walter payton” is and we are getting a lot of blank stares. So we ask “how many of you know who walter payton is?”

65 kids, not ONE knew who Payton was – absolutely unbelievable.

Chief Rum
06-22-2003, 06:13 PM
Originally posted by 44Niners
Hows this for feeling old.

I am a football coach on the freshman team for a local high school and last week we started summer workouts. Just lifting and running.

So we get the kids on the track and we are running them through the various runs and one of the exercise is called “walter payton’s” a basic exaggerated high step.

So we are trying to explain what a “walter payton” is and we are getting a lot of blank stares. So we ask “how many of you know who walter payton is?”

65 kids, not ONE knew who Payton was – absolutely unbelievable.

I'm sorry, but this ain't a sign of age. This is a sign that every single one of the kids on your freshman team are so internally involved they don't have a clue about one of the greatest football players who ever lived. :)

You would think you would know a little something about the sport you are trying out for. :)

CR

mckerney
06-22-2003, 10:48 PM
Shit, I'm in that under 20 crowd and I haven't heard any of that music you're talking about.

You mean all 'da kidz' my age don't listen to Dylan Hicks, Everclear, The Gin Blossoms, Ben Folds, Ike Reilly, Dishwalla, Pedro the Lion, The Ataris, Rhett Miller, Smashing Pumpkins + Zwan, and Weezer? Damn.

Easy Mac
06-22-2003, 11:12 PM
Originally posted by mckerney
Shit, I'm in that under 20 crowd and I haven't heard any of that music you're talking about.

You mean all 'da kidz' my age don't listen to Dylan Hicks, Everclear, The Gin Blossoms, Ben Folds, Ike Reilly, Dishwalla, Pedro the Lion, The Ataris, Rhett Miller, Smashing Pumpkins + Zwan, and Weezer? Damn.

Well, if you cut your bands in half, then yes we do listen to your music (BF5, Pedro, Ataris, Pumpkins and Weezer, old Weezer, not the new shit). Throw in some Mars Volta, Sparta and Linkin Park (catchy fucking music) and we have a deal.

SplitPersonality1
06-22-2003, 11:35 PM
Originally posted by Axxon
If you start singing Wreck of the Edmond Fitzgerald I'm going to ... well, I don't know what I'm going to do exactly but it won't be pleasant I can assure you MR Blackadar.

:)

Reminds me of the time a number of years ago, I was a bit drunk at a bar and started singing (I use the term loosely) "The Wreck of the Ella Fitzgerald".

Being drunk sure makes you stupid.

mckerney
06-23-2003, 01:37 AM
Easy, I'm not too sure what kind of sounds Mars Volta and Sparta produce, but Linkin Parks a deal breaker. Sorry.

How about instead we throw in Steelers Wheel, Sondre Lerche, Set Apart, and James Taylor.

EDIT: Oh yeah, and the Canadian punk rock experience known as The Sainte Catherines. One helluva live show they put on.