PDA

View Full Version : Unrealistic, but Quite Funny (OOTP)

Coffee Warlord
06-21-2003, 01:51 PM
So...I just started a new game with the Cubbies.

Sosa gets off to his great year, hitting a league leading 62 home runs, leading the league in RBI's, and winning the MVP award.

Throughout the season, I try to re-sign him. He'd been making 11.5 million, I offered him up to a 15.5 million dollar, 4 year deal.
No go. Finally, he gets pissed, I give up and go after some big name players in the offseason.

I check in on him during free agency, and he hates me of course, so I pick up Miguel Tejada for a high price item, and Alex Ochoa to fill the gap in right. Both combined cost less than the 15 mill I was offering Sosa.

Season starts...I check to see who got Sosa, and lo and behold...NO ONE signed him. He's off rotting in the free agent pool, begging for someone to pay him 6 million a year.

NEENER NEENER NEENER!

GoldenEagle
06-21-2003, 02:10 PM
Do you have the 6 mil to give him?

Coffee Warlord
06-21-2003, 02:13 PM
Yes, however, I refuse on sheer principle. He scorned the Cubbies, and now he can rot for all I care.

GoldenEagle
06-21-2003, 02:15 PM
I see your point. However, if he put those types of numbers I would give him the money.

rexallllsc
06-21-2003, 02:16 PM
Wanna hear a pissed-off OOTP story?

LAst night I was playing my second season with the Dodgers...I play each game, so it takes quite a while to go through the season...so I was about 6 games into the second season, and I logged off on XP...when I came back, I had left OOTP on, but the screen wouldn't pull up...so I restarted the program...now I get an 'Invalid Players File' error when I try and open that league. Ugh.

MizzouRah
06-21-2003, 03:49 PM
Backups, Backups, Backups. Burn or Zip your league file at least once a week.

In fact, I'm going to do that right now. :)

Todd

EagleFan
06-21-2003, 03:55 PM
lol, I'm with Coffee on that one, let him rot for being greedy. :D

Side not: only refering to the in-game Sammy so don't come after me for bashing him. I have no real opinion of him one way or the other.

tucker342
06-21-2003, 06:11 PM
I agree with Coffee on this one.:D

Although, it is pretty tempting to pick him up for only 6 mil... especially after a season like that.

Axxon
06-21-2003, 06:40 PM
Originally posted by rexallllsc
Wanna hear a pissed-off OOTP story?

LAst night I was playing my second season with the Dodgers...I play each game, so it takes quite a while to go through the season...so I was about 6 games into the second season, and I logged off on XP...when I came back, I had left OOTP on, but the screen wouldn't pull up...so I restarted the program...now I get an 'Invalid Players File' error when I try and open that league. Ugh.

This ticks me off too. I haven't had the invalid players file but I play only on my laptop and every time it goes into power saver mode or standby it hoses OOTP. It really sucks and now I have to contend with the knowledge that it eventually very well may ruin my league to boot.

Backing up sounds nice but I'd have to do it way too often to not lose something because my biggest problem is timing out at work during the busy periods and I don't have that much game to increment but I'd not enjoy necessarily starting a new season over if I'm say in September. Just a bit problematic you see.

Tekneek
06-21-2003, 07:02 PM
Turn off the power saver mode. Those things have caused so many problems with applications that I have disabled them on everything. I'm willing to pay the price for the extra electricity.

daedalus
06-21-2003, 07:08 PM
Winner of the Jody Reed Award? :)

MizzouRah
06-21-2003, 07:28 PM
Yes, power settings should be set to 'never'.

Todd

Axxon
06-21-2003, 07:58 PM
Well, I happen to like my power settings for my usage. I've disabled them when I first got the laptop and prefer it this way. Last laptop I never used it but my situation was different.

Since OOTP is the only program that I have that is affected I don't find using a setup I don't prefer 99% of the time to be a reasonable compromise. I'll just growl and remember to close OOTP before I move my computer which I do. Yesterday though, my pen fell behind the laptop and I made the mistake of closing the lid to retrieve it. Bye, bye ballgame. :(

Daimyo
06-21-2003, 08:09 PM
You know, even though the OOTP window looks dead, the game is still running in the background. So if you were quick simming, just hit space a few seconds to cancel the quick simming, then hit the X-button and hit "Y" to close it out. It will usually close gracefully after a few times doing that.

Axxon
06-21-2003, 08:45 PM
Daimyo,

The thing is it happens even when I'm not quick simming. It happens no matter what I'm doing. I'll try your solution though as it certainly can't hurt to try. Here's hoping it works.

MizzouRah
06-21-2003, 08:55 PM
Originally posted by Axxon
Well, I happen to like my power settings for my usage. I've disabled them when I first got the laptop and prefer it this way. Last laptop I never used it but my situation was different.

Since OOTP is the only program that I have that is affected I don't find using a setup I don't prefer 99% of the time to be a reasonable compromise. I'll just growl and remember to close OOTP before I move my computer which I do. Yesterday though, my pen fell behind the laptop and I made the mistake of closing the lid to retrieve it. Bye, bye ballgame. :(

Sorry, I'm used to users who don't know what 'standby' means and how to re-enalble your pc when it's in standby mode.

That stinks, but saving your season is the only way to protect your files. I had my first lockup today and I'm glad I could restart my pc and continue my season.

Todd

rexallllsc
06-22-2003, 10:25 AM
It happens to me no matter what part of the game I'm in. I have all Standby features disabled....however, chaging users on an XP machine doesn't crash any other piece of software that I have...neither does leaving it on too long...hopefully they can fix this in 6.