PDA

View Full Version : Heavyweight title fight, HERE WE GO!

bigdawg2003
06-21-2003, 09:35 PM
nt

bigdawg2003
06-21-2003, 09:43 PM
Lewis already looks winded after 2. Very likely a new champ

Eaglesfan27
good 2nd round for Klitescho (I know that spelling is messed up)

Radii
extremely good round 2, i thought lewis was going down there

Solecismic
06-21-2003, 09:47 PM
Round 1: Klitschko is the aggressor, Lewis looks sluggish. Klitschko gets in the big punch of the round, wins it easily.

Round 2: A much livlier round. Klitschko landing the right at will, cutting Lewis under the left eye. Lewis staggered a bit, but holds on. Almost a 10-8 round, but not quite.

Round 3: Lewis finally wakes up, an early flurry opening a bad cut above Klitschko's left eye. Klitschko still landing far more punches, but Lewis is definitely steadier. The Klitschko cut may well be bad enough to stop the fight.

Eaglesfan27
06-21-2003, 09:47 PM
That eye is going to cost Klitescko the fight if he doesn't knock out Lewis soon.

Eaglesfan27
06-21-2003, 09:48 PM
I should say that cut above the eye is going to cost him the fight.

bigdawg2003
06-21-2003, 09:49 PM
that cut is nasty

Solecismic
06-21-2003, 09:52 PM
Round 4: Lewis again comes out strong, tackling Klitschko in the opening seconds. Klitschko is more tentative than he has been, still landing a few more punches. Mid-round, the pace slows quite a bit on both sides. Both seem very tired. I'd score it four rounds to zero for Klitschko, the last two rounds very close. The cut man has done a tremendous job on Klitschko.

Solecismic
06-21-2003, 09:56 PM
Round 5: Lewis clutching and getting the better on the inside. Klitschko trying to use his skills, but clearly tiring. He seems to have a bit more energy late in the round, but Lewis is more effective. Lewis wins this round. The cut on Klitschko's eye is as bad as any I've seen - there's just no way he can go 12 with it.

Eaglesfan27
06-21-2003, 09:59 PM
I absolutely agree.. that eye will end this fight soon I think. He did a great job withstanding that Lewis uppercut a few seconds ago.

Solecismic
06-21-2003, 10:00 PM
Round 6: Klitschko is doing better keeping Lewis away, seems to have more energy. Tremendous uppercut from Lewis one minute in, Klitschko almost went down, but held. That punch turned the round around. Both are exhausted late, looking like a bad Rocky movie. Lewis again effective inside in the closing seconds, probably stealing the round.

Fight stopped because of the cut. Lewis wins.

bigdawg2003
06-21-2003, 10:01 PM
There needs to be a rematch, no doubt about it

Solecismic
06-21-2003, 10:02 PM
Klitschko is very upset about the stoppage, appears to be yelling at Lewis, my guess is he's demanding a rematch. The crowd seems to be on Klitschko's side.

sony
06-21-2003, 10:03 PM
Good PbP guys! :p

sabotai
06-21-2003, 10:06 PM
Oh geez...Lewis si so full of himself. He was getting his ass kicked and he's just blowing off as though he would have won. Please. Vitali was on his way to a win if it weren't for that cut.

sabotai
06-21-2003, 10:07 PM
dola,

If Lewis refuses a rematch after this fight, he'll have sunk to a new low.

bigdawg2003
06-21-2003, 10:07 PM
I cannot believe the arrogance Lennox Lewis is showing. This is a pathetic excuse for a heavyweight champion. If he hadn't lucked out with the cut, we'd have a new champion. How can you respect a champion like Lewis after seeing this display.

sony
06-21-2003, 10:12 PM
Roy Jones Jr. next in line for Lewis? And then Chris Byrd?

Solecismic
06-21-2003, 10:14 PM
This interview with Lewis is hilarious. I've never seen the guy so defensive. I'm not sure he's wrong in his assessment that he would have won. He really seems to be upset by the fans booing the result. Talking about eating both Vitali and Vladimir, I guess he enjoys listening to the dramatic stylings of Mike Tyson.

Lewis was down, 58-56 on all three cards when the fight was stopped.

Klitschko interview: he looks like a mess. Seems quite angry about the punch that cut him. It looked pretty clean to me. Obviously, wants a rematch. Seems to be almost in tears right now.

sony
06-21-2003, 10:19 PM
I wonder what it would be like if Vitaly won. Would he be the first non-African Heavyweight Champ since... how long?

sabotai
06-21-2003, 10:21 PM
Linear heavyweight champ? Quite awhile. But Ruiz held one of the titles until he was beat by Jones Jr (and Ruiz is not african american). That's just off the top of my head.

"Roy Jones Jr. next in line for Lewis? And then Chris Byrd?"

Next in line better be Vitali again.

sabotai
06-21-2003, 10:26 PM
dola,

THis is one of the things about boxing I do not like, but there's nothing that can be done. Whenever there is a big cut early in a fight, it sends an ill feeling to my gut, because I don't want what will probably will happen to happen.

It's such a disappointment when a fight ends like this when the guy who was winning ends up losing. What could have been one the best heavyweight fights in quite awhile ends up like this.

Damn it, I'm gonna go watch the first Gatti-Ward fight again....

BucDawg40
06-21-2003, 10:32 PM
Guys -- could it be that there is a very exciting clue in this thread?

Solecismic
06-21-2003, 10:42 PM
I was a sportswriter for seven years before I turned to computer programming. Even covered a fight card once. It was James Toney in a draw with a journeyman early in his career - everyone in the press thought Toney should have lost by quite a lot, and unanimously named the journeyman - Sanderline Williams - the fighter of the night (when this was announced, the crowd stood and cheered).

Toney sounded a lot like Lennox Lewis after the match. He started yelling at me when I asked him about the crowd's reaction.

But no, I'm not working on a boxing game. I have a good general knowledge of dozens of sports, but I don't love boxing the way I love football and other major sports.

TLK
06-21-2003, 10:48 PM
Originally posted by Solecismic

But no, I'm not working on a boxing game. I have a good general knowledge of dozens of sports, but I don't love boxing the way I love football and other major sports.

I think the "major sports" comment takes out any hope for a curling game..... damn....

TLK

BucDawg40
06-21-2003, 10:57 PM

But no, I'm not working on a boxing game.

Cool. Thanks for not leaving me to wonder about it, although it might have been nice to have Front office Boxing. :)

tucker342
06-21-2003, 11:28 PM
To bad I missed the fight...I agree BucDawg:D

condors
06-22-2003, 12:47 AM
My new favorite fighter=anyone fighting Lewis

Lewis looked like he was going to fall down from exhaustion, He said he was just getting his 2nd wind? Where was his first wind?

I hope that eye heals well for him, a cut like that could haunt him for the rest of his career.

mckerney
06-22-2003, 12:56 AM
I'm working on a boxing game. I have a good general knowledge of dozens of sports, but I love boxing in a way I don't love football and other major sports.

A boxing game, 'eh? That's great news!

Oh yeah, consider yourself Fritz'd and all that.

Blackadar
06-22-2003, 07:15 AM
After looking at a slo-mo shot, I'm not so sure of what opened up the cut. It looked like it was a "rake" across the eye from the underside of the glove. I almost wonder if it was a foreign substance. It seems that a lot of Lewis' opponents wind up pretty cut up.

Also, there's no doubt he was trying to open it up by rubbing his head on the eye during clinches.

He showed a complete lack of class after the fight. If he doesn't face Vitali for a rematch, he won't even go down as the best heavyweight in his time. He'll look like a chicken.

Also, what's the deal with the "linear" heavyweight champ? Didn't he "win" his belt when Bowe threw it in the trash?

condors
06-22-2003, 09:12 AM
linear means nothing the wba wbc and ibf can all make a line to when there was only 1 champion it just sounds good

panerd
06-22-2003, 10:15 AM
In defense of Lewis's new-found cockiness after the fight, I wouldn't be surprised if that was his manager or promoters idea. Think about it we all talk about how sick we are of Tyson, but then millions of people tune into $50 pay-per-view because they are intrigued. Lewis goes the nice guy route and his fight ends up on free HBO. I think it's all part of a ploy to sell the rematch. "Cocky champ versus crowd favorite". Wasn't there a whole line of movies based on this stroyline?

Logan
06-22-2003, 11:19 AM
Originally posted by panerd
In defense of Lewis's new-found cockiness after the fight, I wouldn't be surprised if that was his manager or promoters idea. Think about it we all talk about how sick we are of Tyson, but then millions of people tune into $50 pay-per-view because they are intrigued. Lewis goes the nice guy route and his fight ends up on free HBO. I think it's all part of a ploy to sell the rematch. "Cocky champ versus crowd favorite". Wasn't there a whole line of movies based on this stroyline?

Not 100% sure, but wasn't this fight quickly scheduled to make up for a different cancelled bout? That could explain why it was on HBO...

atatange1
06-22-2003, 01:12 PM
Tyson was also supposed to be on the undercard, but decided he'd rather fight that guy in NY. Thats another reason for it being on HBO.

sabotai
06-22-2003, 02:19 PM
"After looking at a slo-mo shot, I'm not so sure of what opened up the cut. It looked like it was a "rake" across the eye from the underside of the glove. I almost wonder if it was a foreign substance. It seems that a lot of Lewis' opponents wind up pretty cut up."

I'm not so sure. Vitali has those big eyebrows, and I can see how a punch going up into them can rip it open.

"Also, there's no doubt he was trying to open it up by rubbing his head on the eye during clinches."

I noticed that too.

"Also, what's the deal with the "linear" heavyweight champ? Didn't he "win" his belt when Bowe threw it in the trash?"

Linear champ means if you trace the champions since Sullivan (ie, Corbett beat Sullivan, JJ beat Corbett, etc.) all the way to now, you'd come to Lewis. Lewis became linear champ when he beat Holyfield.

"In defense of Lewis's new-found cockiness after the fight, I wouldn't be surprised if that was his manager or promoters idea. "

I'm not an expert on Emmanual Stuart (sp?) , but for some reason I don't seem him telling Lewis to say this. I think Lewis has just developed an enormous ego.

JeeberD
06-22-2003, 02:52 PM
Damn, I wanted to watch the fight but had other obligations. Sounds like it was a good one. I can't wait until someone knocks Lewis' punk-ass out...

bbor
06-22-2003, 03:36 PM
Lewis is only gonna fight one more time near the end of this year and then retire..he has stated that a few times.

sabotai
06-22-2003, 03:49 PM
$100 says if what bbor is true, it won't be Vitali.

Blackadar
06-22-2003, 03:54 PM
It probably won't, but then I'd be happy. Lewis' "legacy" would be extremely tarnished - he probably wouldn't even go out as the best heavyweight of his era.

I've never really liked Lewis. Frankly, too much of an ass. Plus, he's been knocked out by a couple of second-rate fighters. Great Heavyweights do not get knocked out while Champ by second-tier fighters. Twice. Once? Maybe. Twice? No way.

TroyF
06-22-2003, 03:55 PM
Lewis will give the guy a rematch unless the Jones card comes up. (sorry guys, that's way too much money for anyone to turn down, nobody would turn it down)

This was the first time Lewis has fought in a year, why is it a shock he started off slow? As the fight wore on, I think Lewis was becoming the better fighter.

As for him not being the best fighter in his day, that's just ridiculous. Sorry, he's beaten every top contender for his crown. There isn't any question that he's the best heavy sinse Tyson's golden age. Nobody else even comes close to putting up the track record he has.

He has a huge ego and is a jerk. That doesn't mean he's not a talented boxer, as much as most of us would like to see otherwise. I still don't think any current heavy can beat Lewis right now. Two times in a row? No chance.

K. will get his rematch and he'll lose the rematch. Lewis is a better fighter. Nothing I saw in the fight has changed my assessment of that.

TroyF

Bishop
06-22-2003, 06:09 PM
He has a huge ego and is a jerk. That doesn't mean he's not a talented boxer, as much as most of us would like to see otherwise. I still don't think any current heavy can beat Lewis right now. Two times in a row? No chance.

Fortunately everyone is entitled to an opinion...

What I saw was Lewis get his ass handed to him for 4 rounds till Vitali had a gash on top of his eye-lid the size of the grand canyon.. Still, even with his opponent half way blind, Lewis still looked sloppy and scared.. not to mention winded... That's not to say he couldn't of still won, but he'd of had to done more then he was doing to win.

Although the triad he went on afterwards was more fun then the fight. I think he was the only one who believed that load of crap he took in the middle of the ring that they are still sweeping up today.

And to say, Lewis at 37 who feels he has 'done it all' and seems to be training as if he's 'done it all' can't be beat by any current heavyweight is ridiculous.

bosshogg23
06-22-2003, 06:26 PM
Just curious, if Lewis isnt the top heavyweight of his "era", the past 10 years or so, who is?

Bishop
06-22-2003, 06:40 PM
Originally posted by bosshogg23
Just curious, if Lewis isnt the top heavyweight of his "era", the past 10 years or so, who is?

Lewis is, it just doesn't really mean all that much cause there hasn't really been anybody special. Lewis has beaten everyone, but most of those people wouldn't even been a top 50 ranked boxer in other eras. and the 'names' he beaten were all past there prime.

bosshogg23
06-22-2003, 06:51 PM
I agree(with Bishop) the era rather sucks for heavyweight boxing. Hell even the people Tyson defeated as champ arent considered very good and that was 18 years ago.

Tyson is/was definitely past his prime. He had a draw with Holyfield and beat him once officially(though he should have won both fights).

Look at who Lewis has fought since 99. Holyfield twice, Grant once, Botha once, Tua once, Rahman twice, Tyson once, V. Klitschko once.

Who is left to fight other than Chris Byrd, W. Klitschko & Roy Jones Jr.?

Knocking him cause he is an arrogant ass is ok with me. Knocking him cause he hasnt fought good fighters isnt. He has fought the best there is. I fully expect him to fight Jones before he retires. I dont think he will ever step into the ring with Byrd. No one else will either.

bosshogg23
06-22-2003, 06:54 PM
Dola

If anyone who is a casual fan watched this fight and enjoyed it, you should watch the Junior Middleweight Div or Middleweight Div. Those 2 are currently in the best era's either of them have seen in a long time. Great boxers, great fights constantly, especially if rumors are true that Trinidad comes back to fight De La Hoya.

TroyF
06-22-2003, 07:45 PM
Originally posted by Bishop
Fortunately everyone is entitled to an opinion...

What I saw was Lewis get his ass handed to him for 4 rounds till Vitali had a gash on top of his eye-lid the size of the grand canyon.. Still, even with his opponent half way blind, Lewis still looked sloppy and scared.. not to mention winded... That's not to say he couldn't of still won, but he'd of had to done more then he was doing to win.

Although the triad he went on afterwards was more fun then the fight. I think he was the only one who believed that load of crap he took in the middle of the ring that they are still sweeping up today.

And to say, Lewis at 37 who feels he has 'done it all' and seems to be training as if he's 'done it all' can't be beat by any current heavyweight is ridiculous.

Just curious, did the gash mysteriously appear, did Harry Potter wave his wand to make it happen, or did Lewis throw a punch? Doesn't matter. It's boxing. Klitchko lost it, plain and simple.

Until I see someone dominate Lewis for 12 rounds, I won't buy the fact he's not the best in the HW division right now. He can be beat by a single punch like anyone can. Is there ANYONE on the landscape who could defeat him twice in a row or two out of three?

I don't see a single guy out there who can.

TroyF

Blackadar
06-22-2003, 07:56 PM
Roy Jones Jr.

bosshogg23
06-22-2003, 08:20 PM
Roy Jones Jr.

He would have a chance, not a great one IMO though. Byrd would have a better chance. Otherwise Lewis is CLEARLY the best Heavyweight in the division. Now that may not say much about his competition but it is true.

Frank of CCPB/JSB
06-22-2003, 09:49 PM
Lewis won the linear HW crown by beating none other than Shannon Briggs :)

Link to the lineage

www.iain.hampson.btinternet.co.uk/heavyweight_championship_path_of.htm

Bishop
06-23-2003, 11:18 AM
Originally posted by TroyF
Just curious, did the gash mysteriously appear, did Harry Potter wave his wand to make it happen, or did Lewis throw a punch? Doesn't matter. It's boxing. Klitchko lost it, plain and simple.

Until I see someone dominate Lewis for 12 rounds, I won't buy the fact he's not the best in the HW division right now. He can be beat by a single punch like anyone can. Is there ANYONE on the landscape who could defeat him twice in a row or two out of three?

I don't see a single guy out there who can.

TroyF

How the gash got there is debatable, it happen either way but they were both holding so much it could of easily came from the glove or a head-butt. Which is what Vitali was saying.. That it came from Lewis' head.

It surely didn't come there because Lewis was wailing on him so much that it just exploded.

No matter though, I also know what I saw and everyone has there own opinion.

on a related note..

People keep saying Chris Byrd could do it, but are you people oblvious to the fact that Vitali had Chris Byrd beat for 7 rounds of a 12 round fight, but quit because of a torn rotator cuff in the 8th?

Not only did he have him beat, but he fought atleast 3 of those rounds with one arm.

sabotai
06-23-2003, 08:32 PM
I just don't buy that Lewis si the best since Tyson. Think Holyfield from the early 90's could have taken Lewis. Micheal Moorer if he trained hard and was focused. Same with Bowe.

It's just that Lewis hasn't had anyone to fight, til now. And unfortunatly, it ended off a luck cut by Lewis. How it happened doesn't matter. A few more round and imo, Lewis was going down.

I think if they spun it right, a Vitali - Lewis rematch would be bigger than a Jones - Lewis fight. And honestly, I simply don't seeing Jones taking the risk to fight Lewis.