PDA

View Full Version : Ga Tech's Tony Hollings leaving for NFL

cthomer5000
06-22-2003, 12:53 PM
Those of us who have been following this probably aren't surprised that he's entering the supplemental draft. I think there will be a lot of teams interested in him, and it will be interesting to see what supplemental round he gets selected in.

article:

Knee injury cut Hollings' season short last year

By Len Pasquarelli
ESPN.com

ATLANTA -- Georgia Tech tailback Tony Hollings, who led the nation in both rushing and scoring through four games last season before sustaining a serious knee injury, will enter next month's NFL supplemental draft, ESPN.com has learned.

Hollings, who was recently declared academically ineligible for the 2003 season, already has filed the pertinent paperwork with league officials and his application will officially be approved next week.

The supplemental draft -- which typically includes players who have lost their eligibility, dropped out of school or can demonstrate other special circumstances, is scheduled for July 10. The deadline for applying to the supplemental draft is next Thursday afternoon.

A franchise that exercises a pick in the supplemental draft must forfeit its corresponding choice in the 2004 regular draft. Among the highest-graded players in the spring report issued by National Football Scouting, Inc., one of the two combine services to which NFL teams subscribe, Hollings could be a middle-round selection in the supplemental draft if his knee is sound.

Hollings had a grade of 7.0 in the combine's nine-point system. He was the second-highest graded tailback according to the springtime ratings and one of just nine college prospects with a grade of 7.0 or above. That grade, though, was based on the projection that his knee would be completely rehabilitated and he would play in his senior year.

Despite denials from his mother, who contended her son might return to school, Hollings told ESPN.com last week that he had apprised head coach Chan Gailey that he intended to apply for the supplemental draft.

"It's what I want to do and (Gailey) is making some calls for me to his friends in the league," Hollings said at the time.

Hollings, 21, rushed for 633 yards and 11 touchdowns in four games last season before he tore the anterior cruciate ligament and the lateral meniscus cartilage in his right knee in a contest against BYU. While he has sufficient size and speed -- 5-feet-10 ¾, 223 pounds, and a 40-time of about 4.45 -- what Hollings needed was to have a prominent orthopedic surgeon assure teams that his recovery is on-track.

He met on Wednesday with highly-respected orthopedic surgeon Dr. James Andrews of Birmingham, Ala., and received a very favorable report. The feeling is that Hollings will be available, and ready for unlimited physical activity, by training camp next month.

The tailback was one of 10 Georgia Tech football players recently declared academically ineligible. The school responded this week by restructuring its athletic support staff.

scooper
06-24-2003, 07:33 AM
I'm guessing about the 4th round. Too much risk involved to give up a higher draft pick next year, but there is a high upside worth using a day two pick.

cthomer5000
06-24-2003, 08:07 AM
Originally posted by scooper
I'm guessing about the 4th round. Too much risk involved to give up a higher draft pick next year, but there is a high upside worth using a day two pick.

exactly what i've been thinking. I think Houston will definitely have their eyes on him, and think teams like Philly & Dallas would also probably be interested.

I'm not exactly sure how the supplemental draft, I think I heard something to the effect that it's basically a silent auction where teams submit what round they will take a player in beforehand, and the highest bidder gets him. If anything I think that would help push him up, still I can't see anything higher than a 3rd rounder.

scooper
06-24-2003, 08:21 AM
That's pretty much how it works. The team then forfeits that draft pick next season.

I see the possibility of a team taking him that does not need the immediate help at the position and can afford to let his knee heal completely. Maybe a team like the Bengals. Corey Dillon's not exactly a pup.