PDA

View Full Version : Looking for a new PC Game

WussGawd
06-23-2003, 01:10 PM
Hey guys. I know there's another forum for it, but frankly, the traffic on the Impressions forum is the information superhighway version of a cul-de-sac. :)

I'm getting a new laptop in a couple of days. It represents a huge leap in processor speed (from P3-650 to P4-2Ghz), hard drive space (from 12 GB up to 40), and most importantly, from an ancient 8 MB first generation 3D card to a 64 MB Geforce4 chip) with 512 MB RAM (actually had that much on the old laptop as well).

What I'm looking for is a cool game to stretch the legs of the new graphics card, and I figured some of you would have geat suggestions. To give you a brief sense of my tastes (outside of text sims, which I love), here are the genres I enjoy:

Flight/tank/sub sims (less flight than some of the others).
Strategy Games of all types...not a big fan of RTS though. I like to plan moves a little more. I have enjoyed EU/EU2/HOI, so that isn't an absolute.

I love adventure games (figures, it's a dying genre), and have enjoyed action adventure (recently finished Splinter Cell & Indiana Jones & Emperor's Tomb, both on the XBox)

I'm indifferent toward FPS's. Like everyone else, I was blown away years ago by Doom, and I enjoyed NOLF (mainly because a friend of mine worked on the thing), but I like FPS's that are a little longer on story, which means most of them are out (hence my predisposition toward second person adventures). Most recently, I've bought and had some fun with Medal of Honor: Frontline (again XBox).

I'm a diehard wargamer who started with boardgames, but have migrated to the computer variety.

I've enjoyed some RPG's, but its not in general my favorite genre.

I'm not big on PC Sports games...I have a number on XBox, and would just as soon continue to purchase them for that platform, as I don't think the PC versions offer enough more to justify the purchase on a machine my kids can't play with (laptop).

I wouldn't totally rule out any genre offhand, but it'd have to be something pretty exceptional for me to step out of my usual preferences.

Anyway, I'm getting the laptop either tomorrow or Wednesday and I'd love to get a new game. Any suggestions you may have would be helpful. :)

Calis
06-23-2003, 01:18 PM
Well seeing as how you're a Sim fan, and you want to test out the graphics of your new card. I highly recommend IL-2 Forgotten Battles, beautiful game, and it's without a doubt the best WW2 Combat Simulator, great stuff.

Man, now I want to play it again. ;)

WSUCougar
06-23-2003, 01:24 PM
I agree with Calis on IL-2 - awesome combat flight sim.

I'd also recommend Medieval: Total War simply because it's a great game. It's not cutting-edge graphics by any means, but you get some good images.

Franklinnoble
06-23-2003, 02:01 PM
Civ3-PTW.

WussGawd
06-23-2003, 09:17 PM
bump.

Anyone else with ideas?

Aesyrqwe
06-23-2003, 10:42 PM
I only play FPS's and I really like playing htem online more.

Half-Life is a really good FPS, but its getting kinda old and the graphics arent that great, but they were the best at its time. Its sequal Half-Life 2 is coming out soon and should have some of the greatest graphics and AI for the time.

Counter-Strike is (I believe) the the most popular multiplayer game online. Its takes alot of strategy to play but has no storyline, still very addicting. It is also having its own sequal coming out Counter-Strike: Condition Zero and will allow single player missions.

Operation Flashpoint has some pretty good graphics and has an ok story line. It's sorta like a movie where you play a Private who goes through training and is sent to an Island to stop a Russian invasion. Its a cold war era game. Very good graphics and its filled with vehicles from jeeps to jets to helicopters.

I havent played Battlefield: 1942 yet but I've heard its graphics are extremely good. Unfortunately it doesnt have a story line (I think) and is strictly an online game. Not sure about that because I havent played it, but from what ive heard its an insanely good game.

Those are some of the games that come to mind now, hope this helps..

-Aes-

Marc Vaughan
06-24-2003, 04:45 AM
Wargames - Either one of the Warlords series before they turned RTS (they're great - but to be honest you could have played them on your old portable) or 'Age of Magic' (which is also a turn based strategy game - install the patch though as it improves the AI considerably).

cincyreds
06-24-2003, 07:47 AM
Rise of Nations is getting a lot of awards and some great reviews.

I like it! It is nice game.

Samdari
06-24-2003, 08:26 AM
Originally posted by WussGawd
I'm indifferent toward FPS's. Like everyone else, I was blown away years ago by Doom, and I enjoyed NOLF (mainly because a friend of mine worked on the thing), but I like FPS's that are a little longer on story
NOLF 2 was awesome. I dislike FPS' and my wife hates them, but this was her favorite game of last year as she loved the story.

WussGawd
06-24-2003, 08:52 AM
Originally posted by Samdari
NOLF 2 was awesome. I dislike FPS' and my wife hates them, but this was her favorite game of last year as she loved the story.

I'm leaning heavily toward getting this. I loved the original, and I know the sequel got favorable reviews.

I'm pretty much narrowing my choices to Ghost Recon (which I'd been drooling over for XBox, but would rather have on PC now that I actually have a machine to run it), Operation: Flashpoint, or NOLF2.

Tough call there. :)

Draft Dodger
06-24-2003, 09:47 AM
I just finished NOLF2 - I really enjoyed it.

not the most earth-shatteringly original game, but excellent production values throughout.

most importantly, it was a lot of fun.