PDA

View Full Version : IWS Poll

Marmel
06-23-2003, 01:15 PM
How often do you play IWS?

scooper
06-23-2003, 01:25 PM
I played it frequently early on, but the fad passed for me. Plus, I don't want to run the risk of winning than having to organize one or the shame of passing on the responsibility.

WSUCougar
06-23-2003, 01:27 PM
What scooper said.

Anrhydeddu
06-23-2003, 01:37 PM
I stopped playing IWS a long time ago. MMR is about trying to be clever, IWS is only about thinking of the most popular answers.

MIJB#19
06-23-2003, 01:41 PM
I guess I'll be about the only person voting for the top awnser.

Maple Leafs
06-23-2003, 01:51 PM
I try to play most of them, although I pass on both IWS and MMR when they try to get too clever and I'd have to spend time on google just to figure out what my options are.

Blade
06-23-2003, 01:55 PM
I missed a bunch of them, but am now back in the game!!!

albionmoonlight
06-23-2003, 01:56 PM
Anrhydeddu--You seem to take the MMR/IWS "debate" pretty seriously (this isn't the first time you've gone out of your way to say that you like MMR better). Is there a particular IWS or MMR that caused you to have such a strong opinion on the subject? I'm not trying to bait you; I'm just curious.

albionmoonlight
06-23-2003, 01:57 PM
Dola--

I really like IWS, btw.

KWhit
06-23-2003, 01:57 PM
I enjoy them and play them all. I'll agree that the ones that need Google are a pain, but I usually play them too.

I find them enjoyable and even have questions already in mind in case I ever win one. It's not that I have no life, but I thought I was going to jump in and host one when somebody dropped the ball, but someone else beat me to the punch.

Anrhydeddu
06-23-2003, 02:05 PM
Originally posted by albionmoonlight
Anrhydeddu--You seem to take the MMR/IWS "debate" pretty seriously (this isn't the first time you've gone out of your way to say that you like MMR better). Is there a particular IWS or MMR that caused you to have such a strong opinion on the subject? I'm not trying to bait you; I'm just curious.

I didn't think at all that I was seriously debating this or that I even had a strong opinion. I guess perception really does matter. I just like MMR better since that was the original QS contest that started all of this. There was no particular IWS or MMR that made me switch, that I could remember. It seems that I have to google either way because many of the IWS questions are on topics I don't know or don't care much about. At least I could use my google skills to have fun with MMR (I'm rather proud of my answer to "Name a character from South Park"). In this latest IWS for instance, I would have to had thought of what others likes to see nekkid. Not a bad question but I wouldn't care what I came up myself. MMR seems more of a contest to guess an unique correct answer whereas I view IWS as not much of real contest. Just my worthless opinion.

albionmoonlight
06-23-2003, 02:07 PM
Thanks. Its not a worthless opinion. I was just curious.

Anrhydeddu
06-23-2003, 02:10 PM
Besides, I followed every IWS just to see how MIJB turned IWS into MMR. :D

(MIJB, j/k)

cuervo72
06-23-2003, 02:14 PM
I like both, but Anydaynow is right - there is more strategy to MMR, so there may be a little more "skill" involved (as long as there isn't an infinite answer set). I think the *answers* to IWS are interesting though, especially for well crafted questions. I like to see where my thought patterns differ from the consensus. I also like seeing great answers that few though of but make perfect sense (more like MMR I suppose).

Maple Leafs
06-23-2003, 02:26 PM
Originally posted by Anrhydeddu
(I'm rather proud of my answer to "Name a character from South Park")That's interesting, since it's questions like that that make me prefer IWS. I liked the early ones, with questions like "name a team from the AFC Central" where there were limited choices and some psychology at play in figuring out which answers people would lean towards. Lately, MMR has become "who can come up with the most obscure 'trick' answers".

Anrhydeddu
06-23-2003, 02:36 PM
I agree, Maple Leafs, I was just interjecting some interest (for myself) into this since I knew or care nothing about the "South Park" show.

I'm still up for hosting the next MMR. My questions will be fairly straight-forward but I do want to reward those thinking outside of the box. To me, that's what makes it a fun game, esp. one that has gone on this long.

MIJB#19
06-23-2003, 02:38 PM
Besides, I followed every IWS just to see how MIJB turned IWS into MMR. :D

(MIJB, j/k) Hey, even considering my location and knowledge of thinking as an mainstream FOFCer, It's been tough to think of one or two awsners to ruin my overall score and end up at the MMR gold, silver or bronze.

I like MMR a bit more then IWS, but since the IWS tradition attended more competitiors over time, I try competing in every single contest. The idea of outsmarting others is much nicer then being able to post Rock, A, Heineken or any other 'obvious' awnser.

And last but not least, does my signature work not after all?:o

Maple Leafs
06-23-2003, 02:40 PM
I'm still up for hosting the next MMR. My questions will be fairly straight-forward but I do want to reward those thinking outside of the box. To me, that's what makes it a fun game, esp. one that has gone on this long. Agreed. I think the best questions are the ones with a few "outside the box" answers, enough that you're not sure whether to get clever or to really think outside the box by going for the obvious.

Anrhydeddu
06-23-2003, 02:48 PM
Originally posted by Maple Leafs
Agreed. I think the best questions are the ones with a few "outside the box" answers, enough that you're not sure whether to get clever or to really think outside the box by going for the obvious.

And thus, my love for MMR contests (you cannot do this in IWS).

tucker342
06-23-2003, 09:10 PM
I play every single one

JeeberD
06-23-2003, 09:53 PM
Originally posted by tucker342
I play every single one

Ditto...