PDA

View Full Version : OT - Who's watching The Wire?

Pages : [1] 2 3

QuikSand
08-06-2003, 01:23 PM
NOTE: If you are an "on demand" viewer of the HBO shows before they are aired to the rest of the viewing audience, please do not include "spoilers" about those forthcoming episodes in this thread. Many/most of the thread participants do not have "On Demand" access, and would like to discuss the show as it is broadcast, or in the days following. --Thanks!

I've posted previously about this HBO show - and stick to my opinion that it's far and away the best thing on television. The second season has broadened the sweep, added an entire new level of characters, but I am just as hooked as before. The characters are very well done, and the show's depictions of the "behind the scenes" issues on both sides of these goodguy/badguy stories are truly excellent.

The drug dealers are seen as variously political, sensitive, human, brilliant, and fair - in addition to the stereotypical cold-blooded heartless thugs. The cops are seen as variously cowardly, political, human, brilliant, detestable, and sneaky - in addition to the stereotypical heroic and noble public servants.

I don't think the show in any way glorifies the bad guys, nor does it denegrate the good guys - but I find its depiction of all the people involved as complex makes the show absolutely riveting.

The excellent scripts and storyline add to the effect, but I think it's this premise that realy delivers.

My recommendation - if you have an opportunity to catch/tape one of these "marathon" sessions where they catch oyu up on the entire season so far, make a point to do so. After a couple of episodes, I think you'll find it to be one hell of a show.

Leonidas
08-06-2003, 02:25 PM
I agree. I can't watch any other cop shows now that I've seen this. Everyone gushes about The Shield. I tried watching it and it just didn't get it for me after seeing The Wire. My dad's a retired cop so I lived through a lot of the hidden aspects of a cops life and this show does a great job nailing those things that other cop shows can't do. Shows like NPYD Blue and Hill Street Blues all turned into soap operas. The Wire is hard core and totally real. I could see where some people would find it boring because it doesn't have a shootout at the end of every show. Matter of fact this week's episode was the first one I recall actually having one. And to be realistic the only person to get hit was a kid who got killed in his bedroom. Law and Order is the only other show to tackle these themes.

thesloppy
08-06-2003, 02:31 PM
MCNULTY ROOOLZ

atatange1
08-06-2003, 03:32 PM
I really like the show as well. But am scared that it's going to ruin it's authenticity/edge with this "Brother Mizzone" (sp?) character.

Logan
08-06-2003, 03:37 PM
I missed (what I'm guessing was) the first season of the show. Due to this new HBO On Demand I have now, I can watch episodes 14-22. Would I be too lost if I started watching now? Should I just wait for it to released on DVD?

If it helps...I got into The Sopranos about half way through Season Two, and didn't have to many problems with that.

QuikSand
08-06-2003, 03:55 PM
Originally posted by Logan
I missed (what I'm guessing was) the first season of the show. Due to this new HBO On Demand I have now, I can watch episodes 14-22. Would I be too lost if I started watching now? Should I just wait for it to released on DVD?

If it helps...I got into The Sopranos about half way through Season Two, and didn't have to many problems with that.

I think it would be worth trying to catch up. Find a web site that will give you some of the background from the first season, prepare to be a little lost for an episode or two, and then you'll be fine as it all comes together.

thesloppy
08-06-2003, 04:32 PM
Originally posted by Logan

Knowing HBO's record, I would be absolutely shocked if they didn't start replaying the first season at some point near or immediately after the final episode for season two. I would wait until you can catch it from the beginning.

One of the things I really enjoy about the show is the complete disregard for over-explanation or dumbing things down. Terms and techniques used by either side (police/thugs/dockworkers) are sometimes confusing, always authentic, and NEVER explained, so you will often have to hear a term used three or four times before you understand what people are talking about. This was discerning for me coming in, and combined with the lack of backstory exposition at any time, I was completely lost when I first tried to catch the series from the middle of season 1, which is why I recommend you wait. However, these exacct characteristics are also what make the show so much smarter and real to me than anything else currently on televison.

With The Wire, you won't hear characters having repeated meaningless conversations just to explain what's going on to an invisible viewer, and that seemingly basic concept puts it in it's own category. I would rank The Wire above any season of The Sopranos, and put it with Band of Brothers, as some of the best stuff I've ever seen on the small screen.

As a caveat, I would recommend you still take my praise, and that of others, with a grain of salt, as it may be an acquired taste, and if you don''t like cop shows it probably won't do much for you. If you go in with too great of expectations, the subtleties might just pass underneath your radar, leaving you wondering what everybody was so giddy about. I am so glad I gave this show a second try after my initial rejection, and again I really urge you to start at the beginning.

p.s. MCNULTY ROOOOLZ

timmynausea
08-06-2003, 05:49 PM
I tried to watch a few episodes of the wire and I couldn't get into it. I really like Six feet under, the sopranos and Oz, but the wire just doesn't do it for me. I find the arrogant cop, one of the main characters, extremely annoying and after the ridiculous conversation between him and his boss in the first episode, found the show damn near impossible to take seriously.
Most HBO stuff is excellent, though. Six feet under is probably my favorite. Sopranos a close second.

Leonidas
08-07-2003, 08:42 AM
6 Feet Under just came completely unravelled to me. The original point was a dark comedy about death, and it was very good. Now they turned it into the mortuary's gay romp.

The Soprano's sucked last year. BORING.

The Wire is certainly an acquired taste. I doubt it will ever be the hit of the Sopranos because it is so subtle, but it is really a brilliant show if you can get into it.

If you work somewhere with a regimented office structure, combined with a potentially dangerous work environment, also with a lot of office politics then you can easily relate to what is going on. I can identify a similar character I have known or worked with with nearly every cop on the show. And I also had enough street exposure as a kid to identify with the gangsters. And the show gets these characters dead on. They hit the subtle things most writers don't know or would never pick up on. Things like the gangster with his aquariums. I once knew a guy like him who was into the same thing.

The writer of the show was a crime scene reporter in Baltimore for several years. He bases virtually all of the characters on real people or traits of real people he worked with over the years. This isn't some Hollywood type making it up. These characters and these stories are real.

Bee
08-07-2003, 08:59 AM
I didn't care much for The Wire. I tried to get into it and just didn't find it that interesting. I also don't care much for Six Feet Under.

I really enjoyed Oz and The Soprano's though. Don't care much at all for any of the HBO comedies. Of course, I'm not a huge tv watcher either so I seldom follow a show week to week.

Ufer
08-07-2003, 11:58 AM
The Wire is my favorite drama on TV (comedy = CYE), but I do think you need to watch it continually. The exec prod/main writer, David Simon, says it's constucted like a novel, not episodically. Btw, his co-writer is a former Baltimore Detective. I like all the acting, particularly the character Omar.

Leonidas
08-07-2003, 12:02 PM
On CNN.com today about The Wire. Very good explanation of the show.

http://www.cnn.com/2003/SHOWBIZ/TV/08/07/sprj.em03.the.wire/index.html

sianews
08-07-2003, 02:23 PM
Originally posted by Leonidas
I agree. I can't watch any other cop shows now that I've seen this. Everyone gushes about The Shield. I tried watching it and it just didn't get it for me after seeing The Wire.

I'm just the opposite. I've seen a couple episodes of The Wire, but just c an't get interested after seeing The Shield :).

QuikSand
08-20-2003, 07:51 PM
Great, and unexpected news - The Wire has been picked up for a third season.

Link (http://www.tvbarn.com/ticker/archives/014325.html)

Bad-example
08-20-2003, 09:11 PM
Good news indeed.

I watched the first season and liked it, but haven't watched any of season two yet. When they show a catch-up mini-marathon or just begin airing season two a second time, a heads up would be greatly appreciated...

Leonidas
08-21-2003, 02:01 PM
Wire Fans

My guess is Sobotka will be dead by the time next episode begins. Matter of fact, I bet the episode begins with his body being found. Anyone actually think they will bother to keep him alive long enough to show his murder next episode?

QuikSand
08-21-2003, 02:32 PM
Originally posted by Leonidas
My guess is Sobotka will be dead by the time next episode begins. Matter of fact, I bet the episode begins with his body being found. Anyone actually think they will bother to keep him alive long enough to show his murder next episode?

Well, if this were an ordinary show, we'd be expecting some sort of bullshit deus ex machina to resolve the big cliffhanger. (Like "surprise, the cops decided to tail you after all") My co-workers both think that's what is coming.

I've been in the "straight shooting" camp all along, and I think he's a goner. I like your theory that we'll just fast-forward to a future point where the deed has already been done - that woudl work for me, rather than having the "when we last left our heroes..." that it seems to be setting up for.

atatange1
08-21-2003, 02:47 PM
I think he's a goner as well. I'm also kind of rooting for the bad guy's. What I mean is the cops don't have a very strong case since the only one talking 'White Mike' doesn't know that much. And Frank who could blow the whole operation will probably be "nuetralized". I just think that like last season they won't have enough to send everyone away for life but maybe give out a few deals like they did to the Barksdale crew.

rexallllsc
08-21-2003, 02:49 PM
IMO, unless the cops show, he's dead. They were prepared to help him out, but when they found out he had gone to the cops, they decided to axe him ("We'll do it your way").

QuikSand
08-21-2003, 03:12 PM
I'll be gravely disappointed if the cops show up on the scene, for a very specific reason. For the entire duration of the show, we have seen everything that everyone has been doing - both the "good guys" and the "bad guys." Even when the timing was coincident (the too-late raid on Double-G's store coming to mind, of course) we saw everything from all points of view. If they now decide to spring out with "oh, well the cops did this, but we just didn't show you until now" then it undermines the show's honesty.

Sobotka should be a goner, obviously, and the cops should have some of that blood on their hands for letting him walk. Maybe this can help bring down the FBI informant, even... though I think that's probably a longshot.

thesloppy
08-21-2003, 03:23 PM
Was it just me, or was the last episode top-notch? Great build-up of tension throughout the whole show, and the greek muisc playing over the top of the last few minutes really worked well.

QuikSand
08-21-2003, 03:44 PM
I agree... I thought the last two were both exceptional. Two weeks ago, I was out of my seat at least two or three times, and laughing openly a few others... and in the last one, I felt like it was just boiling over. I don't want this show to end.

Peregrine
08-21-2003, 05:36 PM
I'm a big fan of the Wire, and it's definitely been getting better and better as the season goes on. A lot like the latest season of Six Feet Under in that way. It's getting so I'll give any HBO show the benefit of the doubt because they've all been so good. Looking forward to Carnivale.

CentralMassHokie
08-21-2003, 06:08 PM
Last season, I tried to get into The Wire from the start, but I just didn't get it the first time around.

After reading a few reviewers on the web who's opinions I generally expect, I set my Tivo to grab the first season when it was getting replayed on HBO2.

I got it the second time around. Like Homicide: LOTS, it's a show that you have to be willing to give your attention. You can't watch it as background noise or in the midst of doing anything else. But if you're willing to give it your attention, it'll draw you in.

After finishing the first season, I was fairly sure it was one of the top 2 or 3 shows on TV (Buffy, West Wing, The Wire). It's impossible to pick a favorite episode - the whole season was just phenomenal from moment one to the finale. The highlights for me were the death of Wallace and, of course, Bunk and McNulty putting together the murder in the apartment.

This year, when I sat down to watch season 2, I knew what I was in for. Going into the final episode, I'm fairly sure that the two seasons of The Wire may be the best 2 season run of television since Buffy Seasons 2 and 3.

I often try to sell people on The Wire, but then stop trying when they tell me they love 24. The Wire is the anti-24. No lame subplots. No red herrings. No deus-ex-machina. Every moment has meaning. Nothing is contrived. Even this season, when you knew they were going to have to get the team back together, they still waited until mid-season, and did it in a reasonable manner.

Then they drop D'Angelo. No fanfare, no repercussions. Avon wants him dead, he ends up dead.

Then Brother Mouzone shows up, quite possibly the best character on television since, well, since Omar.

And then, just to make sure they keep you off balance, they have Prez pop his father-in-law and get pulled off the team.

As you get your bearings again, they finish the penultimate episode, looking like they're heading towards bringing down the Greeks, one man's actions (good old Busmalis from Oz) leave you watching Frank Sobotka, the man who started the season as "the target" walking towards certain death.

The amazing thing is that even with Sobotka dead, it leaves so many options. What will Nick do? What about Nick's dad? What's the payoff between Omar and Stringer? What about Avon and String?

The only shows in the past 2 seasons to come along that I've truly loved have been The Wire and Firefly. One of them has been cancelled by quite possibly the worst network on TV. Thankfully, HBO has some sense and I'm going to get to see a third season of The Wire.

God, I love this show.

atatange1
08-21-2003, 10:08 PM
In the preview's for the finale they showed Nick getting a shotgun and saying something like "I'll get'em". That has me concerned I hope he doesn't go all Rambo on us and take out all the Greeks the cops can't get.

QuikSand
11-10-2004, 11:39 AM
Just doing a little forum necromancy of my own...

The Wire is now well into its third season, and things are really starting to click again. For those who have watched all along, the focus is basically back onto the two-sided affair where we started: the West Baltimore drug gangs, and the police detailed to deal with them. But that synopsis is a grave understatement of the intricate and complex relationships that appear on both sides, as well as across the bounds. This show is far and away the deepest thing I have ever seen in television.

After first getting hooked on this show (after several episodes of its first season), I formed the opinion that it was my favorite show on television. After the second season puled me in even further, I think I bumped to thinking that it was probably my favorite television series ever. Now, with the added richness in this third season, I'm starting to think this might be the best thing that has ever been on television, at any time, of any duration. I know I'm totally in the bag for it, but to me, this seems to be the absolute height of what television can do -- there are scenes that are excruciatingly difficult, moments that are intensely funny without being able to easily describe why, and presentations of both sides of issues and people that are just far, far deeper than we have ever had any right to expect.

Not long ago, the DVD with season one was released. For those of you who are into that sort of thing, and think you might find yourself able to get immersed into a very well-done, slowly-developing crime drama... you might consider it as a possible addition to a gift list.

Wow.

DeToxRox
11-10-2004, 11:55 AM

The Wire is now well into its third season, and things are really starting to click again. For those who have watched all along, the focus is basically back onto the two-sided affair where we started: the West Baltimore drug gangs, and the police detailed to deal with them. But that synopsis is a grave understatement of the intricate and complex relationships that appear on both sides, as well as across the bounds. This show is far and away the deepest thing I have ever seen in television.

After first getting hooked on this show (after several episodes of its first season), I formed the opinion that it was my favorite show on television. After the second season puled me in even further, I think I bumped to thinking that it was probably my favorite television series ever. Now, with the added richness in this third season, I'm starting to think this might be the best thing that has ever been on television, at any time, of any duration. I know I'm totally in the bag for it, but to me, this seems to be the absolute height of what television can do -- there are scenes that are excruciatingly difficult, moments that are intensely funny without being able to easily describe why, and presentations of both sides of issues and people that are just far, far deeper than we have ever had any right to expect.

Not long ago, the DVD with season one was released. For those of you who are into that sort of thing, and think you might find yourself able to get immersed into a very well-done, slowly-developing crime drama... you might consider it as a possible addition to a gift list.

Wow.

Definetly a favorite of mine, though I think I take Deadwood over it on an HBO basis. But yes, I agree with almost everything you said above.

atatange1
11-10-2004, 12:01 PM

Wow.

I can agree with most of that. It is a very good show.

QuikSand
11-10-2004, 12:05 PM
I have the added personal advantage of living in Maryland (the show is set in Baltimore), and being involved in local politics. So, while all the storylines revolve around real neighborhoods in and around Baltimore, there are also political and social references weaved into the show which are very familiar to me and Mrs Q. We also know a few people who have been involved with or actually on the show itself, adding an extra slice of intrigue. Add in the "fictional" characters who bear a stunning resemblance to real-life people (like the ambitious City Councilman, clearly modeled after curretn Mayor O'Malley) and it's even better.

Barkeep49
11-10-2004, 12:13 PM
I agree with everything Quik said about why it is the best show on television (though I think I would have to pick a different show by the same creative team, Homicide, as the finest series ever made). One aspect of this show that I like so much is its positive portrayal of working class and inner city people. This is something that is basically missing from our culture and we are worse of because of it.

Bad-example
11-10-2004, 12:23 PM
I put this show right alongside OZ and The Sopranos as the best tv dramas ever. All three shows require multiple viewings to really catch all the details.

John Galt
11-10-2004, 12:58 PM
I want to move to Hamsterdamn.

Bonegavel
11-10-2004, 02:21 PM
As a fan of The Shield and being HBO-less, how would somebody familiar with both shows compare them?

I despise most t.v. and cop shows most of all. I never followed stuff like HSB and NYPDB - i think i only tried watching NYPDB looking for this famed "partial nudity" of Dana Delaney and emerged from the hour wondering what all the hype was about the show. Somebody mentioned soap opera and that is a good descriptor.

However, when I caught The Shield I was blown away with it and I'm no (better yet, was no) Michael C. fan at all and didn't think he could shake the image of 'the commish" out of my mind but he has done it. The show is raw and doesn't show anyone in a good light. I don't know if there is 1 character on the show that isn't at least 25% wretched and most are at 90%+.

It is one of those shows (for me) that I have to talk to others about. That is the mark of a good series.

Anthony
11-10-2004, 03:09 PM
Cop Rock did it for me. oh...the good ole days.

sterlingice
11-10-2004, 03:42 PM
You know, The Wire would be a great name for a reality tv show.

[Stewie and Brian are trying to sleep in a motel, a drug deal is heard in the next room]
Drug Buyer: You got the stuff?
Drug Dealer: Yeah I got it, where's the money, huh? I wanna see the money. Drug Buyer: No, no, no, you don't see the money 'till I see the stuff.
Stewie Griffin (http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0532235/) : Oh, for God's sake, does anyone wait to put an end to this nuisance. [yelling]
Stewie Griffin (http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0532235/) : HE'S WEARING A WIRE.
Drug Dealer: What? You son of a...
[gunshots are heard following by a "body drop" sound effect]

SI

rexallllsc
11-10-2004, 09:14 PM
HBO sure does know how to pick 'em. OZ, The Wire, Deadwood, The Sopranos...Curb Your Enthusiasm.

Greatness.

Peregrine
11-10-2004, 09:42 PM
I absolutely love The Wire, and I do think it has passed the other HBO shows for me in terms of being my favorite, it is flat out amazing. The politics, the real-life foibles and flaws in all the characters, showing pretty much all sides of the drug war in the city, the amazing writing, great characters (could any show have a murderous thug that you like as much as Omar?) Whew.

Barkeep49
11-14-2004, 09:47 PM
This weeks episode certainly did not disappoint. Does anyone know how many more episodes are left for this season? Things certainly seem to be reaching a cresendo

sterlingice
11-14-2004, 09:49 PM
According to tvtome.com

<table cellpadding="0"> <tbody><tr><td colspan="6">Season 3 </td></tr> <tr align="center"><td class="small" align="right" valign="top">26.</td><td class="small" nowrap="nowrap" valign="top"> 3-1</td><td class="small" valign="top"> </td><td class="small" align="right" nowrap="nowrap" valign="top">19-Sep-2004</td><td> </td><td class="small" align="left" valign="top">Time After Time (http://www.tvtome.com/tvtome/servlet/GuidePageServlet/showid-8800/epid-347935/)</td></tr> <tr align="center"><td class="small" align="right" valign="top">27.</td><td class="small" nowrap="nowrap" valign="top"> 3-2</td><td class="small" valign="top"> </td><td class="small" align="right" nowrap="nowrap" valign="top">26-Sep-2004</td><td> </td><td class="small" align="left" valign="top">All Due Respect (http://www.tvtome.com/tvtome/servlet/GuidePageServlet/showid-8800/epid-350866/)</td></tr> <tr align="center"><td class="small" align="right" valign="top">28.</td><td class="small" nowrap="nowrap" valign="top"> 3-3</td><td class="small" valign="top"> </td><td class="small" align="right" nowrap="nowrap" valign="top">03-Oct-2004</td><td> </td><td class="small" align="left" valign="top">Dead Soldiers (http://www.tvtome.com/tvtome/servlet/GuidePageServlet/showid-8800/epid-355490/)</td></tr> <tr align="center"><td class="small" align="right" valign="top">29.</td><td class="small" nowrap="nowrap" valign="top"> 3-4</td><td class="small" valign="top"> </td><td class="small" align="right" nowrap="nowrap" valign="top">10-Oct-2004</td><td> </td><td class="small" align="left" valign="top">Amsterdam (http://www.tvtome.com/tvtome/servlet/GuidePageServlet/showid-8800/epid-359636/)</td></tr> <tr align="center"><td class="small" align="right" valign="top">30.</td><td class="small" nowrap="nowrap" valign="top"> 3-5</td><td class="small" valign="top"> </td><td class="small" align="right" nowrap="nowrap" valign="top">17-Oct-2004</td><td> </td><td class="small" align="left" valign="top">Straight and True (http://www.tvtome.com/tvtome/servlet/GuidePageServlet/showid-8800/epid-359637/)</td></tr> <tr align="center"><td class="small" align="right" valign="top">31.</td><td class="small" nowrap="nowrap" valign="top"> 3-6</td><td class="small" valign="top"> </td><td class="small" align="right" nowrap="nowrap" valign="top">31-Oct-2004</td><td> </td><td class="small" align="left" valign="top">Homecoming (http://www.tvtome.com/tvtome/servlet/GuidePageServlet/showid-8800/epid-359638/)</td></tr> <tr align="center"><td class="small" align="right" valign="top">32.</td><td class="small" nowrap="nowrap" valign="top"> 3-7</td><td class="small" valign="top"> </td><td class="small" align="right" nowrap="nowrap" valign="top">07-Nov-2004</td><td> </td><td class="small" align="left" valign="top">Back Burners (http://www.tvtome.com/tvtome/servlet/GuidePageServlet/showid-8800/epid-366806/)</td></tr> <tr align="center"><td class="small" align="right" valign="top">33.</td><td class="small" nowrap="nowrap" valign="top"> 3-8</td><td class="small" valign="top"> </td><td class="small" align="right" nowrap="nowrap" valign="top">14-Nov-2004</td><td> </td><td class="small" align="left" valign="top">Moral Midgetry (http://www.tvtome.com/tvtome/servlet/GuidePageServlet/showid-8800/epid-367815/)</td></tr> <tr align="center"><td class="small" align="right" valign="top">34.</td><td class="small" nowrap="nowrap" valign="top"> 3-9</td><td class="small" valign="top"> </td><td class="small" align="right" nowrap="nowrap" valign="top">21-Nov-2004</td><td> </td><td class="small" align="left" valign="top">Slapstick (http://www.tvtome.com/tvtome/servlet/GuidePageServlet/showid-8800/epid-367816/)</td></tr> <tr align="center"><td class="small" align="right" valign="top">35.</td><td class="small" nowrap="nowrap" valign="top"> 3-10</td><td class="small" valign="top"> </td><td class="small" align="right" nowrap="nowrap" valign="top">28-Nov-2004</td><td> </td><td class="small" align="left" valign="top">Reformation (http://www.tvtome.com/tvtome/servlet/GuidePageServlet/showid-8800/epid-367817/)</td></tr> <tr align="center"><td class="small" align="right" valign="top">36.</td><td class="small" nowrap="nowrap" valign="top"> 3-11</td><td class="small" valign="top"> </td><td class="small" align="right" nowrap="nowrap" valign="top">12-Dec-2004</td><td> </td><td class="small" align="left" valign="top">Middle Ground (http://www.tvtome.com/tvtome/servlet/GuidePageServlet/showid-8800/epid-375267/)</td></tr> <tr align="center"><td class="small" align="right" valign="top">37.</td><td class="small" nowrap="nowrap" valign="top"> 3-12</td><td class="small" valign="top"> </td><td class="small" align="right" nowrap="nowrap" valign="top">19-Dec-2004</td><td> </td><td class="small" align="left" valign="top">Mission Accomplished (http://www.tvtome.com/tvtome/servlet/GuidePageServlet/showid-8800/epid-375268/)</td></tr></tbody> </table>
SI

Leonidas
11-15-2004, 08:33 PM
As a fan of The Shield and being HBO-less, how would somebody familiar with both shows compare them?

I despise most t.v. and cop shows most of all. I never followed stuff like HSB and NYPDB - i think i only tried watching NYPDB looking for this famed "partial nudity" of Dana Delaney and emerged from the hour wondering what all the hype was about the show. Somebody mentioned soap opera and that is a good descriptor.

However, when I caught The Shield I was blown away with it and I'm no (better yet, was no) Michael C. fan at all and didn't think he could shake the image of 'the commish" out of my mind but he has done it. The show is raw and doesn't show anyone in a good light. I don't know if there is 1 character on the show that isn't at least 25% wretched and most are at 90%+.

It is one of those shows (for me) that I have to talk to others about. That is the mark of a good series.

The Shield plays a little over the top, as most network shows do. They put more action and more edgy stuff in it to make it move faster.

Meanwhile, The Wire strives for total realism. The writer, David Simon, used to be a crime beat reporter in Baltimore and also was once a writer for that show with Richard Belzer that was also part of the Law and Order world. Anyway, Simon says the The Wire is written like a novel that plays out a chapter a week, so it moves much more slowly than a network type show. There is violence and some edgy stuff, but it is not forced or gratuitous to make it into every 60 minute show. It plays out when it is appropriate. Also, no hokey car chases, except for the funny seen when Herc was chasing the 13 year old with the drugs while he had the theme song from Shaft playing.

The Wire can also be very funny. My favorite all time scene was in season one when McNulty and Monk checked a crime scene out and never said anything but F words, yet they managed to convey everything they felt. It's think kind of juvenile things guys in that situation might really do that network TV would never dream of.

ANd last night was a great show. I especially loved the drug dealers using the suspect picture software to draw women in the police station, and the local cop pulling Kima aside and saying, "Your partner is a bit of an asshole."

Great to see Stringer finally confronting Barskdale too. I didn't think he'd have the guts to actually come out and admit to whacking De'Angelo.

QuikSand
11-16-2004, 08:15 AM
I agree that The Wire can be very funny - but it's not cheap one-liners, it all rises up from the character development, which has been woven for a long time. There are countless scenes where all we get is a look, a word, or a simple situation -- but if you know the characters, their history, and the relationships they have, that look can be a laugh-out-loud moment. In that sense, I think a fair analogy is that this show is like real literature, rather than reading a magazine -- the depth is what makes it so enriching.

CentralMassHokie
12-12-2004, 10:37 PM
Oh my god.

Is there any doubt this is the greatest show on TV?

Possibly the greatest show of all time?

I will admit to being completely prone to hyperbole (usually for the sake of humor), but I'm not even kidding about this.

The Sopranos wishes it was this good.

QuikSand
12-13-2004, 08:32 AM
What an unbelievable episode. Right from the very start (the street confrontation between Omar and Brother Muzzone -- which was undoubtedly the most riveting few minutes of "poker" I've seen in TV in months) this was just brilliantly executed. And I don't use that term lightly.

From the context clues -- it sounds like HBO is undecided in whether the show will get a fourth season. In their 5-minute self-promo piece leading up to the broadcast, they highlighted the "2005" offerings, with mentions of "Carnivale - new season" and "Deadwood - new season" included. No mention of The Wire there, so it clearly has not been officially extended. However, as they previewed the next episode, they called it the "Season Finale" rather than a "Series Finale" -- and they have fairly deliberately used the latter term when closing out shows like Oz and Sex and the City. My best guess is that they are on the fence with The Wire... and I'm crossing my fingers.

Looks to me like they are heading toward a possible "wrap-up" point at the end of season three, but I'd love to see a season four that drifted into politics (the mayoral race is really heating up now...) and who knows what else? Nobody saw the dockyard sidestory (basically all of season two) coming, but it was nested in beautifully -- we're even still getting references back to it. It would not be that hard for the "Major Crimes Unit" to remain intact, and for that group to continue to receive special details -- whether the focus is the West Side drug trade or elsewhere.

*sigh*

Raven Hawk
12-13-2004, 08:54 AM
Last night's episode was masterful. They better make another season. There's plenty of places to go:

There is still the whole East side story with Prop Joe that can be flushed out. They have to do some more with the dockyards.

Sweet episode.

nole4sho
12-13-2004, 08:55 AM
Can someone explain why the guy was killed at the end of the show by those nation of islam dudes? From what I gather the guy who got killed was trying to turn on his friend who then had him killed. One thing I found interesting is the got who got shot at the end could still be alive because the killers didn't go for the head shot.

QuikSand
12-13-2004, 09:15 AM
Can someone explain why the guy was killed at the end of the show by those nation of islam dudes?

Ummmmm.... well, let's see... where to start.

***past and present spoilers ahead, for anyone careful***

Stringer Bell, the victim at the end of this week's episode, was the #2 man in the West Side drug ring (the Barksdale clan) we've been following all along.

The two killers were Omar (with the scar) and Brother Muzzone (with the bow tie). Neither has anything to do with the Nation of Islam in the show's storyline, though there is a clear iconic reference to NOI through Brother Muzzone's attire.

Early in season one, the Barksdale clan tortured and killed Omar's boyfriend. Omar was not pleased with this -- particularly the manner in which is was accomplished. This set up Omar to, eventually, find out who ordered this thing done, and exact his revenge.

At one point, one of the Barksdale connections (the very heavy guy named Proposition Joe) told Omar that it was Brother Muzzone who set up the killing (or Omar's boyfrield). Omar found and shot Muzzone -- but their conversation afterward (as Muzzone lie bleeding) revealed that Omar had been misled. Over time, after Muzzone's recovery, the two realized they had a common bond -- both now had grudges against Barksdale and company -- including their top liutenant, Stringer Bell.

The eventual result was the surround-and-isolate strategy last night, that led to Bell's rather cold demise. It was a huge moment in the series -- Stringer Bell had been a very, very well-developed character and a major component of the storyline.

Hop that helps.

nole4sho
12-13-2004, 09:20 AM
Quiksand - Thank you for the nice review of the season. I was not able to watch the entire season due mostly to school. However I did not know homosexuals were in the show that to me is very shocking considering that this guys are gangsters. I will be buying the season when it releases on DVD. Again thank you very much.

CentralMassHokie
12-13-2004, 09:28 AM
The amazing thing to me is that they do this amazing bit of misdirection each year that doesn't make you feel used, but makes you feel stupid for not seeing it all along.

This year it's "H"amsterdam, which I had anticipated being involved much more heavily in the climax of the season 3 arc. Granted, with one episode to go, it still could be, but my guess is that Hamsterdam will live on as the connection to Season 4 (should there be one), where the mayoral race will take the forefront.

The other bit of misdirection was all of the talk about Season 3 being about politics, which you immediately associate with Carcetti, Daniels' wife, and the selectmen and mayor races.

But the poltical angle in this season wasn't really about the actual political race. It was the politics that go on inside the po-lice. The stuff between Colvin and Carver, with Carver throwing his lot in with Colvin. Herc narcing on Colvin to the paper. McNulty and Daniels issues. The stuff with Prez and the other cops.

Just a great show with so many layers that you start to notice more and more stuff as you think back. If it's not renewed for another season, I might just drop HBO in protest, even if Deadwood was stellar this past season.

Leonidas
12-13-2004, 07:49 PM
I thought season one was a masterpiece. Season two a nice diversion into something different. Nice but possibly falling into that trap of a show going downhill.

Then there is this season. Every damn show is a masterpiece, and they only get better every week. This show has really hit its stride and has got to be in its prime. I can't imagine it getting any better, although I hope it does. Now what becomes of Omar. Is the score settled with the Barksdale gang or does he come after the Man? What does McNulty do now that his Moby Dick is dead? And are the gloves off for Barksdale? Do the cops cleanup up Hamsterdam and leave the whole territory for Barksdale to plunder?

CentralMassHokie
12-13-2004, 09:36 PM
For what it's worth, someone on another board I frequent has seen the finale.

He says that it's mindblowing, that it would make a perfect series finale, but it would also make for a perfect jumping off point for season 4.

ONE SMALL SPOILER FOR THOSE INTERESTED

FURTHER DOWN

He says that Prez is at least present in the finale, so that thread gets picked up again.

spleen1015
12-15-2004, 08:09 AM
I finally got around to watching Sunday's episode last night.

I thought Avon was going to end up dead. I thought Stringer was too strong of a character to kill off at this point. He's been McNulty's main target the whole series.

I'm also wondering if Stringer is really dead. They led you to believe that, but never showed it for sure.

Thank the maker for HBO On-Demand. I missed seasons 1 and 2 when they were on originally. I watched the first episode out of boredom and have loved every minute of the show since.

Peregrine
12-15-2004, 04:52 PM
I think Stringer is really dead. For one thing, The Wire doesn't tend to go for that hokey "we thought the guy was dead, but he came back!" gimmick that many shows do, and come on, do you think Omar and Brother Muzzone would have left there if there was any chance he would be alive?

What an amazing episode.

Peregrine
12-15-2004, 04:54 PM
Also regarding possible cancellation, this is an interesting article:

http://www.nydailynews.com/entertainment/ent_radio/story/262108p-224444c.html

QuikSand
12-15-2004, 06:56 PM
Another article about the renewal decision . . . we ought to hear in the next few weeks, it seems.

http://www.baltimoresun.com/entertainment/tv/bal-to.wire15dec15,0,3397712.story?coll=bal-artslife-tv

spleen1015
12-15-2004, 08:41 PM
What time of year did the first 2 seasons air?

With HBO On-Demand, I'm guilty of not watching each new show on Sunday night. How many folks do you think do the same thing?

Peregrine
12-15-2004, 10:35 PM
I think the show was on during the summer previously. Since it was considered one of HBO's "weaker" shows they didn't put it up against the heavy hitters of fall TV, but this year since the Sopranos and some of the other shows are long delayed, they moved it to fall. Of course my question is, with Six Feet Under only with one season to go, the Sopranos probably on its last legs, how can they afford to cancel another show? Oh well, wishful thinking. I'll be really bummed if they cancel this. I've been sending HBO those feedback emails off their website!

Leonidas
12-16-2004, 09:26 PM
Also regarding possible cancellation, this is an interesting article:

http://www.nydailynews.com/entertainment/ent_radio/story/262108p-224444c.html

Pretty sad when what is clearly one of the best shows, maybe ever on TV, is in danger of cancellation because viewers have a short attention span. Let's just bring in more quality shows like "Everyone Loves Raymond" and "Joey" while running off "The Wire". I don't watch too much TV, but God it seriously pisses me off when a totally quality show is too over the head of mediocre viewers. Maybe next time we just cancel the audience instead.

Bad-example
12-17-2004, 01:27 AM
What a terrible shame it will be if the show is not renewed. HBO never supported OZ all that well when it was still going. They only gave us 8 episodes per season and it was often in danger of being discontinued.

One season ended production with OZ in serious danger of being cancelled. The writers decided to go out with a bang in case the show never continued. There were upwards of 15 deaths in that season-ending episode.

Noop
12-18-2004, 11:22 AM
I watched this last night and I have a question which one is the gay one? Scarface or the muslim? Also are they trying to say the Nation of Islam are drug dealers?

Noop
12-18-2004, 11:24 AM
One more thing... who is the leader of the gang? Avon or Stringer... and what does cat in the braids do?

CentralMassHokie
12-18-2004, 11:30 AM
Scarface - Omar - is the homosexual.

They've never told Brother Mouzone's (the Nation of Islam looking guy) backstory. My guess is that he may have at one point been a member of the NOI, but left, or the NOI doesn't know that he runs security/does hits for drug dealers. They've never implied the NOI is drug dealers. In fact, Brother Mouzone is not a drug dealer. He just does work for them, something that I think is a big distinction in the world of The Wire.

Avon Barksdale is the leader of the Barksdale crew, but was in prison for a few years, during which time Stringer Bell led them, made them more efficient, and started to put money into ventures that were more legitimate and had less risk of getting him capped.

If The Wire isn't renewed, I just might cancel my HBO subscription. The only things left will be Deadwood and Curb Your Enthusiasm ...

Noop
12-18-2004, 12:05 PM
Scarface - Omar - is the homosexual.

They've never told Brother Mouzone's (the Nation of Islam looking guy) backstory. My guess is that he may have at one point been a member of the NOI, but left, or the NOI doesn't know that he runs security/does hits for drug dealers. They've never implied the NOI is drug dealers. In fact, Brother Mouzone is not a drug dealer. He just does work for them, something that I think is a big distinction in the world of The Wire.

Avon Barksdale is the leader of the Barksdale crew, but was in prison for a few years, during which time Stringer Bell led them, made them more efficient, and started to put money into ventures that were more legitimate and had less risk of getting him capped.

If The Wire isn't renewed, I just might cancel my HBO subscription. The only things left will be Deadwood and Curb Your Enthusiasm ...
Thank you. I didn't know Mouzone was a hit man... damn I regret not watching the whole season. Anyway what is interesting is Avon came back and assumed the leadership role with much fight from Stringer... I find that interesting considering money is involved. I figure Stringer would have made Avon second in command while he is the leader. Good show.

rexallllsc
12-18-2004, 12:42 PM
Thank you. I didn't know Mouzone was a hit man... damn I regret not watching the whole season. Anyway what is interesting is Avon came back and assumed the leadership role with much fight from Stringer... I find that interesting considering money is involved. I figure Stringer would have made Avon second in command while he is the leader. Good show.

Didn't seem to me like Avon took the #1 role. Seemed like him and Stringer were kinda "Sharing" it and got into a power struggle.

CentralMassHokie
12-18-2004, 07:43 PM
Didn't seem to me like Avon took the #1 role. Seemed like him and Stringer were kinda "Sharing" it and got into a power struggle.

When Avon came back, he started calling the shots without really letting String know. Stringer still had people who he had brought in who answered to him (hence the botched hit on Omar violating the Sunday truce), but Avon had taken back 99% of the drug business, which is why the co-op was worried. Avon's taking back corners and striking out at Marlowe while Stringer tries to get him to see the big picture and work with in "Hamsterdam."

Stringer had more power than before Avon went to prison, but I think the whole organization thought Avon was #1.

24 hrs until the Season Finale. I keep checking BitTorrent sites to see if anyone has it early ...

Noop
12-18-2004, 07:46 PM
This show is interesting is it on DVD?

Leonidas
12-18-2004, 08:00 PM

Actually, I think he's more into "security". NOI has made a buttload of money doing "security" in ghettos. I think this is a take off on that with him doing the "security" gig as a cover, but really in the pockets of the dealers with the highest bankroll. In other words, he is one amoral dude.

As for DVD, I don't think it;s there yet. My wife looked all over to get it for me for X-Mas and swears it's not out. If it were, she'd have found it.

Noop
12-18-2004, 08:21 PM
Cool I just did a quick search myself and nothing came up although it is on some torrent sites...

Bad-example
12-18-2004, 09:08 PM
As for DVD, I don't think it;s there yet. My wife looked all over to get it for me for X-Mas and swears it's not out. If it were, she'd have found it.

Season one is out on dvd. I found it at both the official site and Amazon.

dann
12-19-2004, 12:20 AM
Avon is the top dog. When the guy who was setting up the boxing for the kids asked to see the "top man", that guy was Avon. Stringer was running things while Avon was in prison, but it was really Avon's crew.

String kept trying to get Avon to change the way the crew was ran, but all along he knew it was Avon'sdecision to make. The whole Co-op thing was done by String, without Avon's knowledge.

There better be a season 4. This is without a doubt the best show on TV. It just takes a bit of dedication, but once you are in, it has you hooked, and is well worth the time invested.. I try to get as many people as possible to watch this.

Season 1 is out on DVD now, with Season 2 coming in January.

Peregrine
12-19-2004, 09:10 AM
I didn't know Mouzone was a hit man

He's not only a hit man, he's supposed to be one of the top hit men in New York. Avon called in some favors and recruited him last season to come down and help with some security problems they were having, people were SCARED of the guy just by reputation.

QuikSand
12-19-2004, 10:30 AM
Mrs Q and I just re-watched the last episode (brilliant) this morning... and I wanted to put a few things together that were mroe evident to me upon a second viewing.

POSSIBLE SPOILERS AHEAD (If you haven't watched the last episode)

Leading up to the hit on Stringer, there are several things pointing to how exactly it went down.

#1 - Mouzone and Omar meet up early in the episode, and realize they have common interests -- a grudge with the Barksdale gang (this is obvious)

#2 - Mouzone finds Avon (at the barber shop) and confronts him... Avon offers money, Mouzone is not interested... the scene ends before some sort of "deal" can be struck

#3 - When Avon and Stringer are having their reminiscences at the harbor overlook apartment, Avon asks when Stringer's meeting with the (Polish) contractor is scheduled for... when they have an embrace "to us" there's a very obvious sense of unease becauyse we know that Stringer has gone to the police, fingering Avon's location to get him sent back to jail... what is les obvious is that Avon is now clearly scheming against Stringer as well...

#4 - When Mouzone and Omar corner Stringer at the next day's meeting with the contractor... in the short exchange before they kill Stringer, Omar says "your boy gave you up" -- clarifying what had become very clear to me during the second viewing -- that Avon barksdale cut a deal with Mouzone and Omar, and he "gave them" Stringer to satisfy their thirst for vengeance. When the two embraced the night before, not only was Stringer working against Avon, but Avon was working against Stringer -- even more quickly and ruthlessly.

"It's just business."

That episode was full of absolutely brilliant scenes. Might be the best hour of television I have ever seen. (And I watch Sabado Gigante on a semi-regular basis, so I know of what I speak)

CentralMassHokie
12-19-2004, 03:48 PM
I definitely had the feeling after the barber shop scene and the way it ended, followed by the rooftop scene where Avon uneasily asked where String would be, that he had gave him up.

Then, as soon as he said "It's just business" - the same words Stringer had said to Colvin about giving Avon up, I *knew* that Avon had done it.

My only question was whether or not Stringer picked up on it too. He always seemed to be one step ahead.

Just a brilliant hour of TV. The Wire is one of the few shows that actually serves from not being broadcast in HD. The 4:3 framing makes everything cramped, close, and tight, evoking exactly the feelings they want the viewer to have (I think).

Noop
12-19-2004, 09:08 PM
Well the ending left me confused but i guess I needed to watch from the beginning to actually understand it. I fail to see why Marlo was there at the ending of the show when Avon is in the courthouse. Maybe they will put a hit on him...

CentralMassHokie
12-19-2004, 09:13 PM
Wow, just wow.

I think that's as neatly wrapped up as things will ever get on this show. If that's the end, then there's no doubt in my mind that the 3 year run of The Wire was the best run of a show in history. Just immense storytelling.

Hopefully HBO will come to their senses and realize that this story is too good to not continue.

panerd
12-19-2004, 09:15 PM
I believe the musical wrap up at the end previewed several potential storylines for next season. So while it is possible they were anticipating this is the end, they also have a plan set for next season. (Better than say having the President get attacked by an assasian only to later just have a hand scar) I hope McNulty on the beat doesn't spell the end of his character.

QuikSand
12-19-2004, 09:20 PM
Very satisfying ending, certainly done with one eye on it being a potential series finale.

But there is SO much more than can be done with this show! The politics are obvious, but McNulty back on the beat, presumably in Daniels' district... what happens with Marlo on the corners... Omar?... Cutty's gym... this show really deserves a fourth season, and to not be set up against oversexed middle-aged white women.

*sigh*

Noop
12-19-2004, 09:20 PM
Wow, just wow.

I think that's as neatly wrapped up as things will ever get on this show. If that's the end, then there's no doubt in my mind that the 3 year run of The Wire was the best run of a show in history. Just immense storytelling.

Hopefully HBO will come to their senses and realize that this story is too good to not continue.
Mind explaining alittle more why you feel this way? Because the word confused is what best describes how i feel. So who is in charge of the Barksdale crew? Silm Charles or the light skin guy? I fail to see how the story can continue

QuikSand
12-19-2004, 09:23 PM
The story isn't about Barksdale or his crew. The story is about Baltimore. Whether the drug gangs remain the major focus is secondary -- there are plenty of things to keep fueling the show. Actually, if Marlo's crew essentially "took over" -- they'd be perfectly suitable targets for a new wire from the police, just as well as the old guys were. The king is dead, long live the king.

Noop
12-19-2004, 09:27 PM
You see I didn't know that... a lack of kowledge on my part. The fact it is about gangsters is what makes me interested. If it is about politicans then I won't watch much...

CentralMassHokie
12-19-2004, 09:38 PM
It's not really about gangsters, or politicians, or the cops.

It's about how the various groups affect each other and affect the city.

Season 1 was focused on the Barksdale crew and the formation of the task force to take them down using wiretaps. The season ends with lots of loose ends as internal politics of the police force and government force them to move early and the Barksdale crew all do the right things so that only a couple of folks serve more than token time - including D'Angelo Barksdale, Avon's nephew, who started to see the light that no one gets out of the game alive.

Season 2 saw the task force come back together staking out the Greek mafia, who had ties to the teamsters in Baltimore, and ended up having ties to the drug dealers. Again, the team closed in only to miss out on the top guys, but end up with lots of intel on the drug gangs.

Season 3 (this season) had a focus back on the Barksdale crew for the case, but it was as much about how the "game" affects various inhabitants of Baltimore. The police get tied up running down minor dealers and never do real case work to cut down on crime. The dealers gun down each other to the point that it's rare to see someone get out alive or live to be middle aged. The government casts a blind eye to the problem, instead insisting the cops do a better job. Citizens get caught in the middle, in some cases seeing the dealers as the benefactors of the neighborhood; in other cases, seeing them as the scourge.

To me, this season focused on a few people who tried to fight their way out of those predetermined destinies. Stringer Bell tried to go straight, but in doing so ended up even more of a criminal than he had been before, resulting in his death. Bunny Colvin tried to find a way to let police do their jobs and ends up getting screwed due to the politics of the situation. Cutty actually got his way out of the game, thought he was getting through to his kids, only to find them run back to the corners the moment they can start dealing again.

The irony for Cutty, of course, is that the hit he was supposed to do when he realized he couldn't kill anymore, was the very dealer bossing around his boxers.

I don't know if I've done the show justice. I think you can sit down and watch an entire season in order (better yet, watch at least season 1), you'll come away with the same sort of awe that the rest of us have. It's just an amazingly rich show.

Bad-example
12-19-2004, 09:51 PM
A great ending to a great season. I hope it isn't the end of the series.

In the first couple minutes it was clear that McNulty was getting ready to make a change. It does seem a bit odd that he would move to a uniformed beat patrol since he is (was) a detective. It was his choice to move to the Western but I would have expected him to land in a role more in line with his rank. (shrug)

Overall, I agree that they did a very good job of providing some measure of closure while leaving plenty of fertile ground for more storytelling should they get the opportunity.

CentralMassHokie
12-19-2004, 10:10 PM
In the first couple minutes it was clear that McNulty was getting ready to make a change. It does seem a bit odd that he would move to a uniformed beat patrol since he is (was) a detective. It was his choice to move to the Western but I would have expected him to land in a role more in line with his rank. (shrug)

They planted that seed a while back though.

He ran into the detective whom they dumped the bodies on in Season 2 (I can't remember his name) and he was talking about how great it was to just be a beat cop again.

When they panned through the Western, that's who McNulty was sitting next to.

Bad-example
12-19-2004, 10:20 PM
They planted that seed a while back though.

He ran into the detective whom they dumped the bodies on in Season 2 (I can't remember his name) and he was talking about how great it was to just be a beat cop again.

When they panned through the Western, that's who McNulty was sitting next to.

Ah, thanks for the explanation. I missed a fair portion of the second season.

CentralMassHokie
12-19-2004, 10:22 PM
Hmm ... I phrased the poorly.

The run in with the cop happened this season.

They dumped the bodies on him in Season 2.

Bad-example
12-19-2004, 10:24 PM
I know the exchange you are referring to...the cop in the van that "landed on his feet". Yes, they did kind of foreshadow McNulty's decision there.

Raven Hawk
12-20-2004, 12:39 AM
Excellent ending. There are plenty of plot points to pick up if the show is renewed (and it better be).

One question that I have (I don't know how I missed it). Why is Daniels on the outs with his wife?

QuikSand
12-20-2004, 01:01 AM
Over time, they set up the background that Daniels' wife was frustrated that he was so "married" to police work -- she wanted him to get promoted, or else find something better to do in the private sector. Eventually, we get the sense that she felt second place, and decided to separate.

At one point, she seemed like she was looking to reconcile, but he had just started things up with the Assistant State's Attorney... and he wasn't interested in reconciliation at that point, to his wife's apparent surprise.

Barkeep49
12-20-2004, 09:51 AM
It was his choice to move to the Western but I would have expected him to land in a role more in line with his rank. (shrug)

I have the opportunity to work pretty closely with the Detectives in my city and at least here Detective isn't actually a rank, it's a title. The Detectives are on the same pay scale (with the exception of a clothing allowance) as a patrolman. The title is of considerable status but it isn't actually a rank. Not sure if this is different in the big cities but would make sense for how they were able to bust McNulty to a bad job so easily during Season 2.

Bad-example
12-21-2004, 12:53 AM
I have the opportunity to work pretty closely with the Detectives in my city and at least here Detective isn't actually a rank, it's a title. The Detectives are on the same pay scale (with the exception of a clothing allowance) as a patrolman. The title is of considerable status but it isn't actually a rank. Not sure if this is different in the big cities but would make sense for how they were able to bust McNulty to a bad job so easily during Season 2.

That makes sense. Thank you for making that clearer for me.

I just watched it again and laughed out loud a second time at this exchange between the guy that bought the cell phones and his girl...

Her: I swear you have got to be the stupidest motherfucker I have ever gone out with!

Him: I can't wait to go to jail.

philosophist
12-27-2004, 04:45 PM
http://www.nydailynews.com/entertainment/ent_radio/story/262108p-2244...

Spoiler Space follows if you haven't seen this week's show.

At the climax of its third season, HBO's gritty drama "The Wire" is
hanging by one.
"We haven't been renewed," said creator David Simon, "We have not been
killed either."

A decision on the fate of Simon's critically praised series about the
dangerous corners of Baltimore's drug trade isn't expected until
mid-January.

"I know [HBO] isn't particularly pleased with our numbers," Simon
said. "Why would they be? But, at the same time, I'm not sure what on
HBO besides maybe 'The Sopranos' could have gone up against the buzz
saw that is 'Desperate Housewives' and Sunday night football."

"The Wire," which has its season (or series) finale Sunday night at 9,
boldly killed off a major character last week when Stringer Bell
(Idris Elba), a dealer trying to go legit as a real-estate developer,
was gunned down.

"I checked the [message] boards this morning and every body's upset
about Stringer," said Simon. "All I can tell you is the only way the
writers can figure out how to make the stories matter is to not make
characters matter more than the stories."

On Sunday, there is more closure and another character is put out to
pasture, though not in a predictable way.

"If we have to end here, I'll be sad," said Simon. "There is a lot
more I want to say. It took a lot to create this fictional universe of
Baltimore and there's a lot more to say."

But "The Wire" has been criticized for its labyrinthine plot lines;
its liberal use of urban vernacular has also stymied some viewers. But
HBO has made a habit of nurturing esoteric series.

"This show would have been canceled after four episodes anywhere
else," said Simon. "If [HBO] says, 'Nice try, but we're going to go
with something else,' then they say it. Does that mean I have even the
slightest regret that I didn't make the show simpler or dumbed it down
or made the cast more white? Absolutely not."

If "The Wire" makes it to fourth season, said Simon, he plans to
explore the failures of the public education system in Baltimore.

"Like a lot of cities," he said, "we have a remarkably dysfunctional
school system, one that puts the lie to the idea that if you want to
walk away from the street, you can just put your head down and do
what's right. You start to get the impression that the children of
this city are being raised by the drug corners, that this is a school
system that fits with a society where the drug trade is the best deal
of its generation."

But he may not get the chance. The overwhelming success of "The
Sopranos" has changed the climate at HBO.

"Because of 'The Sopranos' breakout hit status," said Simon,
"expectations have changed." The days when a dark prison drama like
"Oz" could survive several seasons may be coming to a close, according
to Simon.

"There was no angst about ['Oz'] ratings," said Simon. "It was what it
was. There was a commitment to storytelling, even if it was
idiosyncratic storytelling. Now I'm going up against 'Desperate
Housewives.'

"What could have gone up against 'Desperate Housewives'? 'Desperate
Housewives' is pretty. I'm not about pretty."

Bad-example
03-19-2005, 02:18 AM
The Wire Has Been Renewed For A Fourth Season!

"The critically acclaimed, Peabody Award-winning HBO drama series THE WIRE has been renewed for a fourth season, it was announced today by Carolyn Strauss, president, HBO Entertainment. The 12-episode fourth season will begin shooting in late 2005, with debut set for 2006.

With the Barksdale investigation concluded, the fourth season of THE WIRE will expand its focus to include a look at the role of the educational system in an urban environment."

Peregrine
03-19-2005, 05:14 AM
WOOHOO! WOOHOO! God I have been waiting for this!

QuikSand
03-19-2005, 06:33 AM
I KNEW that the news was at the end of this thread... hadn't heard elsewhere... and I literaly held my breath as I scrolled down to the bottom.

YES!

Thanks for making my day!

spleen1015
03-19-2005, 09:09 PM
I am very glad to hear this!

cthomer5000
03-23-2005, 06:21 AM
I just finished watching Season 1 on DVD and I'm completely hooked. It's as good as any other HBO Show I've seen, maybe better. I appreciate the fact that there aren't really any perfect characters, so it's not such a clear cut good guy/bad guy drama. Also, it's fascinating to a get a glimpse of the departemental/political pressures that police must face on these types of cases constantly.

Season 2 is already on it's way via Netflix.

cthomer5000
04-03-2005, 09:42 PM
I think it's going to be interesting to see how the show adapts to what appears to be a very different setting. Also, the show is clearly going to be down some major characters, as Bell & Barksdales stories are about as finished as is possible. Season 2 added a completely different storyline seamlessly, so I have faith they'll be able to do it without it feeling like a stretch.

As for techinicalities, I wonder how they'll write out McNulty if Dominic West doesn't return (he's reportedly "reluctant" to). I would think there are a lot of other technical issues to work out as well (Does Daniels indeed move to the Western? Does the unit dissolve? Does someone else take over the unit?)

Also, the mayoral race storyline was pretty much just picking up steam, so they could certainly keep running with that as the "B" story.

I hadn't seen a single episode before about a month ago, and now I've watched all 3 seasons. All-in-all this is one of the finest TV shows I've ever seen, and immediately jumped into the the very small clusters of TV shows I consider myself a die-hard fan of. And I think i'd even say this bumps off Deadwood as (IMHO) the very best of the HBO series. I look forward to season 4, even as the pessimistic side of me knows that's when most TV shows really seem to start losing their grip.

Peregrine
04-04-2005, 09:12 AM
Good to know the show has won over another convert. It really is great.

Bad-example
04-07-2005, 02:19 AM
Just a heads up: The first season of The Wire will be on On Demand starting April 25.

Peregrine
07-05-2005, 09:24 AM
Just got finished watching Season 1 of The Wire on DVD over the long weekend, just wow. I already thought it was the best show currently on TV, but watching the episodes close together like that really reinforced my opinion. It's amazing to me how good the show is, the storytelling, acting, everything.

Bad-example
07-25-2005, 11:20 PM
Episodes 15-20 are playing this month. The more I watch this show, the more amazed I am by it. The Wire is the best show I have ever seen. The casting and the writing in particular are absolutely top notch.

I would like to see them expand the character of Lester, the detective that was often seen carving dollhouse furniture in the first season. He is a fairly major character but we haven't gotten much of a view into his life.

Peregrine
07-25-2005, 11:48 PM
Yeah it is truly an amazing show, I've recently finished watching seasons 1 and 2 on DVD, and of course I'm watching the season 3 reruns each week on HBO. Incredible show.

Bad-example
01-22-2006, 09:36 PM
Actor and comedian Richard De Angelis, who played Baltimore police Col. Raymond Foerster on the HBO crime drama "The Wire," has died. He was 73.

De Angelis died of congestive heart failure Dec. 28 at his home in Silver Spring, said his son, Richard M. De Angelis. He also had complications from prostate cancer.

In addition to his recurring role on "The Wire," De Angelis appeared in "Homicide: The Movie" and the John Waters films "A Dirty Shame" and "Cecil B. Demented."

De Angelis also appeared in plays, TV commercials, radio spots and print advertisements in an acting career that spanned four decades. He performed standup comedy for many years under the name Ricky Roach.

Born in Boston, De Angelis served in the Navy during the Korean conflict and worked as an accountant for 14 years. At 38, he quit smoking, became a vegetarian and enrolled in acting school. He received a master's degree in 1983 from the University of Maryland's theater arts program.

lcjjdnh
06-04-2006, 05:57 PM
Anyone have any idea when Season 3 is coming out on DVD? I missed the show the first time around on HBO, but picked up the DVDs after watching some of season 1 with friends, and I'm hooked. Just a great show.

Bad-example
06-04-2006, 06:21 PM
According to Amazon, season 3 will be released on dvd on Aug 8.

lcjjdnh
06-04-2006, 06:46 PM
Thanks

QuikSand
06-04-2006, 07:24 PM
I believe HBO is also re-airing Season 3 starting next week... presumably intending to wrap up the reruns as Season 4 is about to launch. I know Season 4 has completed shooting, and is in prodcution... so the timing works out right for that, too.

I can't wait.

cthomer5000
06-04-2006, 07:33 PM
I can't wait.

What he said. Best TV show ever.

John Galt
06-05-2006, 08:33 AM
I've been re-watching Season 1 on DVD lately. What a great show.

Arctus
06-05-2006, 09:00 AM
You guys watching season 3 can look for me. I'm an extra in Episode 30: Straight and True.

I am the copy delivery guy talking to Stringer in the following scene. My wife is in the same scene, she's one of the people walking along the sidewalk behind us.

As Stringer Bell departs Baltimore Community College and heads for his car, McNulty is there to observe him. Later, sitting in front of Bell's copy shop, McNulty is bored to death, so bored that he decides to pays Bell a visit and speak to him directly. "Ain't seen you round the way," he tells Bell, who responds that he's not "around the way no more," that he's doing real estate instead, and in fact, if McNulty is interested in a condo downtown, Bell would be only too glad to help him out.

Basically, its shot at a distance, through the eyes of McNulty, who is surveiling Stringer from across the street.

No, I'm not an actor. I'm a big fan of the show and a good friend of mine was one of the First Assistant Directors during season 3.

QuikSand
06-05-2006, 09:04 AM
I have several friends who have had spot roles on the show... pretty cool.

Raven Hawk
06-05-2006, 09:21 AM
Season 3 was a masterpiece. I can't wait for season 4.

panerd
06-05-2006, 12:04 PM
I have watched all three seasons in chunks instead of waiting week to week. I find the shows that I really enjoy (Wire, Deadwood, Band Of Brothers, Entourage) I watch this way and the ones that I don't like so much (Sopranos, Curb Season 5) I watch week to week. I wonder if that is coincidence or not. Maybe I should give the Wire a month or two head start.

Peregrine
08-08-2006, 05:24 AM
The Season 3 DVD set of The Wire comes out today. Just thought everyone would like a reminder so they can go out and buy it!

Logan
08-08-2006, 09:55 AM
Ignoring some posts in this thread just in case of spoilers, so I apologize if someone asked a similar question...

First, as a follow-up to a post I made just over 3 years ago, I ended up waiting to catch season 1 on demand, and am glad I did. Loved it. Tried watching season 2 on demand right after, but only caught the first two episodes before I had to go back to school (where I didn't have on demand). It didn't really grab me. That's the last episode I saw, not counting some season 1 replays.

Fast forward to now, and season 2 is on demand again, but I don't know if I'll have the time to watch it all. And like I said, I didn't love what I saw the first time. Could I skip this season and catch up on it just by reading some episode guides? Or was it good enough/important enough to watch as I wait for season 3 (which I hear was awesome and more on par with s1)? Thanks.

spleen1015
08-08-2006, 10:27 AM
I think you need to watch it. Season 2 is my favorite season. I'm rewatching them on demand in prep for Season 4.

You want to watch them!

Peregrine
08-08-2006, 11:05 AM
I definitely would watch all the seasons, I loved all of them.

cthomer5000
08-08-2006, 11:38 AM
Ignoring some posts in this thread just in case of spoilers, so I apologize if someone asked a similar question...

First, as a follow-up to a post I made just over 3 years ago, I ended up waiting to catch season 1 on demand, and am glad I did. Loved it. Tried watching season 2 on demand right after, but only caught the first two episodes before I had to go back to school (where I didn't have on demand). It didn't really grab me. That's the last episode I saw, not counting some season 1 replays.

Fast forward to now, and season 2 is on demand again, but I don't know if I'll have the time to watch it all. And like I said, I didn't love what I saw the first time. Could I skip this season and catch up on it just by reading some episode guides? Or was it good enough/important enough to watch as I wait for season 3 (which I hear was awesome and more on par with s1)? Thanks. Watch all three seasons. If you don't your missing the best TV ever.

Logan
08-08-2006, 12:40 PM
3 votes out of 3, I'm off from work, and just finished taking care of what I had to do today.

Be back in a few hours.

Bad-example
08-08-2006, 01:52 PM
Fast forward to now, and season 2 is on demand again, but I don't know if I'll have the time to watch it all. And like I said, I didn't love what I saw the first time. Could I skip this season and catch up on it just by reading some episode guides? Or was it good enough/important enough to watch as I wait for season 3 (which I hear was awesome and more on par with s1)? Thanks.

Season two is gold.

Just like seasons one and three.

Logan
08-08-2006, 02:57 PM
Just watched episodes 1 and 2 of s2. Don't know what was wrong with me when I saw them the first time, but I'm right back into this. Glad I decided to watch, and hope to have the season done within a couple weeks. Thanks for the advice.

Logan
08-10-2006, 07:09 PM
Through episode 6, and at the point where I have to slow down watching so I don't have to wait too long for season 3 to come on demand on 9/4. Fantastic. Anyone know when season 4 starts?

spleen1015
08-10-2006, 07:19 PM
This is why it is good to have the 360 to play. I have something to keep me from watching all of them in 2 nights. I watched the fourth episode of Season 2 last night.

cthomer5000
08-10-2006, 08:57 PM
Through episode 6, and at the point where I have to slow down watching so I don't have to wait too long for season 3 to come on demand on 9/4. Fantastic. Anyone know when season 4 starts?

Septemeber 10th.

Logan
08-10-2006, 09:24 PM
Septemeber 10th.

So they're expecting me to watch a whole season in 6 days? Shit.

cthomer5000
08-10-2006, 09:55 PM
So they're expecting me to watch a whole season in 6 days? Shit.

Take your time.. the new ones will immediately be on demand, and you'll have a few to watch back-to-back before you start following live on Sundays.

Logan
08-10-2006, 10:08 PM
Take your time.. the new ones will immediately be on demand, and you'll have a few to watch back-to-back before you start following live on Sundays.

Good point, that could be done with this show. Not many of my friends watch it, as opposed to Sopranos or Entourage where I would be risking hearing something I didn't want to.

Logan
08-15-2006, 09:18 PM
Finished S2. Major thanks to those who told me to watch it. Best part is S3 is already on demand, so I should actually be able to watch a live Wire episode once S4 comes around.

cthomer5000
08-15-2006, 11:07 PM
Finished S2. Major thanks to those who told me to watch it. Best part is S3 is already on demand, so I should actually be able to watch a live Wire episode once S4 comes around.

boom.

"Omar comin'"

Logan
08-22-2006, 08:43 PM
Halfway thru S3. Love it. I know it's a local product, but when did the show become a walking billboard for Under Armour? :)

Logan
08-26-2006, 05:13 PM
Well season 3 is done. Now that I can finally go back and read this thread (something I've been looking forward to), I see that many feel the same way...this is easily the most complex, intriguing, and rewarding show on TV.

Like others have said, I love how nothing is dumbed down. I love how all the storylines don't have to finish (or finish the way you would want it to) at the season finale. I love how the writers don't feel the need to interject pointless storylines that serve no purpose to the show besides wasting time (hello David Chase).

It was awesome to be able to watch multiple episodes in a short period of time, and it will definitely be different watching it "live" like I'll now be doing for s4 but I can't wait.

QuikSand
08-26-2006, 10:40 PM
It looks like there are a couple of "catch up" espides, 30 minutes each, being aired this week -- my guess is they are to help remind us all how things were left after season three. I'll be recording them -- but they don't come up automatically if you have a TiVo season pass, FYI - you need to get them manually.

Logan
08-26-2006, 11:17 PM
I saw those when I was flipping around the other day. Pretty sure one was titled "The Wire: The Game" but don't remember the other. Obviously couldn't watch or check the info since I hadn't finished s3, but I'll have to keep an eye out for it now.

Bad-example
08-27-2006, 12:25 AM
Those two 30 minute shows are also not On Demand yet.

Anyone have any comments on The Corner? I noticed that was On Demand this week but have only watched the first episode. It was a bit strange to see Lester Freamon as a druggie. This miniseries must have been the inspiration for The Wire. Not sure how or why I missed this when it aired originally but it looks interesting.

QuikSand
08-27-2006, 08:00 AM
Those two 30 minute shows are also not On Demand yet.

Anyone have any comments on The Corner? I noticed that was On Demand this week but have only watched the first episode. It was a bit strange to see Lester Freamon as a druggie. This miniseries must have been the inspiration for The Wire. Not sure how or why I missed this when it aired originally but it looks interesting.

I wouldn't say that the Corner was the inspiration for the Wire, but more that the streets of Baltimore served as the inspiration for both. David Simon used to be a city beat reporter before he wrote Homicide: Life on the Street, which served as a platform for his move into television and production. But his most acclaimed work stil traces back to work on/from the streets of Baltimore.

I read The Corner and watched parts of the miniseries - it, too, was very captivating, not surprisingly.

Logan
08-27-2006, 08:28 AM
When did The Corner originally run on HBO?

Logan
08-27-2006, 01:37 PM
It looks like there are a couple of "catch up" espides, 30 minutes each, being aired this week -- my guess is they are to help remind us all how things were left after season three. I'll be recording them -- but they don't come up automatically if you have a TiVo season pass, FYI - you need to get them manually.

Looks like both mini episodes -- Connected and The Game -- will be on from 11:00pm to midnight tomorrow (Monday) on HBO2.

Logan
08-28-2006, 09:06 AM
And they're both On Demand now, if anyone's looking.

Peregrine
08-29-2006, 01:01 PM
Both specials were very well done, intro to season 4, explanation of the themes behind the show, a little bit about how the show is written and produced, good stuff. Hopefully if you watched them and you weren't a fan of the Wire it might sway you to give it a shot.

IMetTrentGreen
08-29-2006, 06:31 PM
spoilers:

i just finished season 3. i liked 1 a lot, 2 didn't do much for me (couldn't care less about sabotka/ziggy, the greek mafia, or union corruption), but season three was stunningly good.

i only saw the eipsode about an hour ago, and it's still with me, when stringer and avon are on the penthouse balcony, talking about having made it, each knowing that they had done each other in . . . it's as good as the godfather ever was. powerful shit.

i can't even talk about stringer getting shot right now. maybe later.

that really should've ended the series. i don't know where they can go from here to make me care as much as i did about 3. who is left? marlo?

QuikSand
08-30-2006, 07:17 AM
Season four is going to have a substantial focus on the Baltimore City schools -- presumably as a combination campaign issue and drug focus area. It sounds like a big transition, but recalling the way they managed to shift the show in season two to focus so much on the dockworkers and union setting, I don't see it as that much to overcome. I am totally on board, needless to say.

cthomer5000
08-30-2006, 08:29 AM
Season four is going to have a substantial focus on the Baltimore City schools -- presumably as a combination campaign issue and drug focus area. It sounds like a big transition, but recalling the way they managed to shift the show in season two to focus so much on the dockworkers and union setting, I don't see it as that much to overcome. I am totally on board, needless to say.

Same here. I loved season two, and I think it's nice to have a new story in the foreground while they (likely) continue some other stuff in the background... Marlo-related would be my guess. I think the season 2 haters are missing some great stuff.

While I admit the show would have wrapped up pretty much perfectly at the end of season 3, it's such a damn good show that even losing half a step would still make it the best show on TV.

Peregrine
08-30-2006, 12:37 PM
I have to say that when the rumors came out about it being about education, I really wasn't sure how it would work out, but after seeing the Wire specials the other night where it talks a bit about how it will all play out, it looked really, really good. Not only do they tie it to previous seasons with characters we know as teachers, but they tie the kids they focus on into the drug game in some interesting ways, it looked like.

Raven Hawk
08-30-2006, 03:41 PM
As far as where you can go from here, don't forget about Prop Joe and his side of town. It looks like Slim Charles will get a bigger part this season. I really like his character in the limited time he got last season.

Logan
09-01-2006, 02:39 PM
Wait a minute...hold on for a second...I'm watching one of the half hour updates...McNulty is a Brit?

Wow...didn't see that coming. Nice acting.

cthomer5000
09-01-2006, 06:35 PM
Wait a minute...hold on for a second...I'm watching one of the half hour updates...McNulty is a Brit?

Wow...didn't see that coming. Nice acting.

so is Idris Elba, who plays Stringer Bell. Blew my fucking mind the first time i heard him speak off-camera.

IMetTrentGreen
09-02-2006, 03:30 AM
i saw where davis simon was talking about the focus of season 4, he called it a preamble to the rest of the series. he also mentioned that the barksdale case was "closed out," so i assume this means that we won't be seeing much of avon and crew anymore.

interestingly he talked a bout having two ideas left to explore, and he wasn't really clear, but i took it to mean he wants a season 5.

also, having rewatched the episode where bell gets shot, i noticed that both bell and major colvin say the exact same thing before getting killed/fired. there is so much about this show like that to love, not just the realism and compelling storylines, but actual great writing. my favorite was mcnulty saying 'what the fuck did i do' after rejoining the major case squad in season 2.

Peregrine
09-02-2006, 05:33 AM
Yeah I think they'll have a little bit of stuff about Bodie and Slim Charles on the street trying to figure out what to do, but not about Avon in prison or anything like that. Also, it will be interesting to see less of McNulty this season, he has anchored the show, I hope it will still be as good when he isn't on screen as much.

spleen1015
09-05-2006, 08:16 AM
Is there a Season 4 thread that I missed?

Peregrine
09-05-2006, 09:33 AM
This thread has lasted us for three years, I think it can go another year.

Miller Time
09-05-2006, 09:44 AM
Yeah I think they'll have a little bit of stuff about Bodie and Slim Charles on the street trying to figure out what to do, but not about Avon in prison or anything like that. Also, it will be interesting to see less of McNulty this season, he has anchored the show, I hope it will still be as good when he isn't on screen as much.

I'm pretty sure I read over on the Wire's official message board that the actor playing Avon will not be returning this season.

It'll be odd having episodes without Avon and Stringer.

What a great show!!!

panerd
09-05-2006, 10:02 AM
i saw where davis simon was talking about the focus of season 4, he called it a preamble to the rest of the series. he also mentioned that the barksdale case was "closed out," so i assume this means that we won't be seeing much of avon and crew anymore.

interestingly he talked a bout having two ideas left to explore, and he wasn't really clear, but i took it to mean he wants a season 5.

also, having rewatched the episode where bell gets shot, i noticed that both bell and major colvin say the exact same thing before getting killed/fired. there is so much about this show like that to love, not just the realism and compelling storylines, but actual great writing. my favorite was mcnulty saying 'what the fuck did i do' after rejoining the major case squad in season 2.

I probably posted this same thought earlier in the thread but my favorite scene ever was when McNulty and Bunk investigate a murder by only saying 'fuck' the whole segment.

IMetTrentGreen
09-05-2006, 04:55 PM
or the chicken mcnugget discussion in season 1

Barkeep49
09-07-2006, 08:08 PM
I haven't been able to listen to it, but I heard a teaser of a story NPR did on The Wire on All Things Considered and thought it might be of interest.

http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=5782928

cthomer5000
09-07-2006, 08:16 PM
or the chicken mcnugget discussion in season 1

It really is a brilliant scene. Something along the lines of "Yo, Mr. McNugget, you the bomb!" in there that cracks me up every time.

IMetTrentGreen
09-07-2006, 08:32 PM
for me it's D saying that ronald mcdonald doesn't "walk his clowny ass" down to the basement to sign a check to mr. mcnugget. it even fits in the the main theme of the first season, too, which i didn't appreciate until later.

even though most all my favorite characters are gone, im still looking forward to season 4. as long as omar is there.

Logan
09-07-2006, 08:47 PM
In case anyone's interested, the Season 4 premiere is currently available On Demand. I don't know why, but someone posted in another forum that the upcoming episode will be available early every week.

Haven't watched it.

cthomer5000
09-07-2006, 08:49 PM
I have watched it, and i was sucked right into the new characters/stories.

Barkeep49
09-07-2006, 08:58 PM
In case anyone's interested, the Season 4 premiere is currently available On Demand. I don't know why, but someone posted in another forum that the upcoming episode will be available early every week.

Haven't watched it.
This was true of Rome as well, so it's not surprising to hear they're doing it for the Wire as well. Too bad I'm not an On Demand household.

spleen1015
09-08-2006, 08:39 AM
I watched it and loved like everything before it. I am disappointed that Avon won't be back if that is true.

I had no idea that the episode was out early. I thought I just missed the premiere.

Bad-example
09-13-2006, 01:30 PM
Bleh. The 2nd episode of the new season was supposed to be available On Demand starting two days ago. :mad:

QuikSand
09-13-2006, 02:41 PM
First episode of season four, a few thoughts --

-Using Prez as the vehicle to get us into the schools is great, I'm really gald to see his character staying on the show

-I thought they established a connection with the group of kids awfully quickly -- but that has been a strong suit of this show since the outset... but I still remember Wallace from the first season and how richly they developed his character in a pretty limited amount of time

-The play between Daniels and McNulty was priceless, but it has the potential to be a big tease for the show -- overall, I think McNulty "just" walking a beat is fine, as long as he is still involved in the main plotlines somehow

-I can't help but wonder whether Bunk's new partner at Homicide (white bald guy named "Norris") is going to develop into a real character -- he's played by the recent real-life Baltimore Police Commissioner Ed Norris, and to date his screen highlight has been a puking scene... stay tuned there

Logan
09-13-2006, 06:31 PM
http://www.zap2it.com/tv/news/zap-thewirerenewed,0,6406582.story?coll=zap-news-headlines

HBO Stays Up on 'The Wire'
Acclaimed series gets a fifth and final season
September 13 2006

Following mountains of critical praise that have called it perhaps the best work ever produced for television, HBO has renewed "The Wire" for a fifth season.

The novelistic drama about cops, drug dealers and the people caught in between in Baltimore began its fourth season on Sunday. Only about 1.5 million people watched the episode, down some from the 1.8 million who saw the third-season premiere in 2004. Still, HBO, which is less beholden to ratings than ad-driven networks, opted for quality over quantity.

The audience numbers for the show also don't include people who watched the premiere on demand. HBO is making each episode this season available on demand six days before its scheduled Sunday airing on the network.

"We are delighted -- though not surprised -- at the initial critical response to the new season of 'The Wire,'" says Carolyn Strauss, president of HBO Entertainment. "[Series creator] David Simon and his remarkable team have created a riveting and thought-provoking series that's unlike anything else on TV."

The current season of "The Wire" examines the education system, focusing on four West Baltimore boys (new cast members Julito McCullum, Maestro Harrell, Tristan Wilds and Jermaine Crawford) who may have a chance to escape the drug culture that surrounds them, though the odds are not in their favor.

Season five -- which will be the show's last -- will deal with the role of the media within the city.

"The last question we want to ask is this: For four seasons, we have depicted that part of urban America that has been left behind by the economy and by the greater society, and chronicled entrenched problems that have gone without solution for generations now," Simon says. "Why? What is it that we see and sense about these problems? To what are we giving attention, and what is it that we consistently ignore? How do we actually see ourselves?"

Bad-example
09-13-2006, 07:32 PM
Fantastic news!

This show is the most amazing mix of top notch casting, acting, writing and production in television history, IMO.

ausonny
09-14-2006, 01:06 AM
I think McNulty "just" walking a beat is fine, as long as he is still involved in the main plotlines somehow

Apparently Dominic West wasn't available as much as they wanted for season 4, but has said he will be available for season 5 because he feels the show deserves to end the way that Simon wants it to.

I don't know what that means exactly, hopefully he still is a major player this season

IMetTrentGreen
09-14-2006, 01:31 AM
i mentioned it before, but i saw in an interview where david simon said they had two more seasons (not verbatim, it's what i culled from it) left to do, 4 and 5. so i assume simon know what he wants to do with it already.

personally, i'd end it at three and call it the best show ever, but im not complaining.

Peregrine
09-14-2006, 05:27 AM
Apparently Dominic West wasn't available as much as they wanted for season 4, but has said he will be available for season 5 because he feels the show deserves to end the way that Simon wants it to.

I don't know what that means exactly, hopefully he still is a major player this season

The way I heard it, he had hoped to make a jump to a movie career, possibly as the new James Bond, and told them he wouldn't be available as much because of that.

Also, great news about season 5!

cthomer5000
09-14-2006, 05:54 AM
Bleh. The 2nd episode of the new season was supposed to be available On Demand starting two days ago. :mad:

It's on-demand for me (i watched it Monday) but a friend probably 15 miles away (and with the same cable company) is having your issue as well. My guess is a foul-up on some cable companies parts.

Great to hear the show will be coming back for a 5th season. That rocks.

Logan
09-14-2006, 10:13 PM
Watched the 2nd episode. Thought it was great, and I really have a good feeling about where this season is headed. I guess it's just different for me this season, since I'm watching them one at a time, which makes me think about where the show is headed. As opposed to prior seasons, where I would just play the next one as soon as it finished.

One problem with having these episodes on demand before the "official" airing: It really hurts the ability to talk about the show on message boards. Kind of a bummer.

Bad-example
09-15-2006, 10:32 PM
It's on-demand for me (i watched it Monday) but a friend probably 15 miles away (and with the same cable company) is having your issue as well. My guess is a foul-up on some cable companies parts.

Grrrr. It still hasn't show up in my menu. Comcast says it is HBO's fault.

As for the first episode, I think one of the most interesting developments is the evolution of Carver's character. I have liked the actor ever since his part in one of the better story lines in OZ. Pretty cool that he took Bunny Colvin's talk to heart and is becoming a better police.

cthomer5000
09-16-2006, 12:16 AM
Comcast says it is HBO's fault.

That's funny, they're telling my friend it's an on-demand wide issue and that NOTHING is updating.

As usual, i'm sure they just make it up on the spot. They have the worst customer support i've ever dealt with in any industry ever, including the DMV.

Logan
09-16-2006, 09:34 AM
That's funny, they're telling my friend it's an on-demand wide issue and that NOTHING is updating.

As usual, i'm sure they just make it up on the spot. They have the worst customer support i've ever dealt with in any industry ever, including the DMV.

I've read on other boards that On Demand updating is completely up to the cable provider.

spleen1015
09-16-2006, 08:22 PM
My On Demand had it available Monday because I watched it.

QuikSand
09-19-2006, 10:56 AM
Well, we watched Episode 4.2 last night... and I am already sucked into the new storylines. This show just does a great job sliding in little things along the way, it's just great. The sidelight with the neighborhood moms coming over to bring Dennis some homemade food is hilarious (and good for him, by the way), and the two closing scenes with the televised debate being summarily turned off by the people who arguably have the most at stake was a great commentary that took maybe ten seconds of screen time, but a really nice bit of imagination.

There are a lot of shows that do pretty well with main plotlines, fewer that can handle multiple plots over along time, and fewer still that can continue to find a wide variety of small things like this to keep seeding in even as they maintain a variety of interesting stories and characters.

nole4sho
10-03-2006, 06:31 PM
Great Show.

Bad-example
10-03-2006, 09:38 PM
I think it is interesting the similarities between the good guys and the criminal types. Prop Joe playing Omar and Marlo is pretty similar to the way Rawls is playing the mayor and Carcetti. A couple thoughts:

1 - It has looked for a long time like Carcetti is going to win the election, but does anyone think that the dark horse Tony Grey will end up winning?

2 - With Rawls set up to be police commissioner if Carcetti or the incumbent wins, will it end up relevant that he is gay? The scene in season two that showed Rawls in the gay bar was fleeting and they never followed that up.

thesloppy
10-03-2006, 09:48 PM
FUCK PREZBO

cthomer5000
10-03-2006, 09:57 PM
2 - With Rawls set up to be police commissioner if Carcetti or the incumbent wins, will it end up relevant that he is gay? The scene in season two that showed Rawls in the gay bar was fleeting and they never followed that up.

I was debating this topic with a friend the other day. He thinks it will be a major issue, I don't think we'll ever hear about it again.Tough to say though.

QuikSand
10-04-2006, 07:15 AM
I thought the incidental inclusion of Rawls at the gay bar was a great little trifle, but I, too, am inclined to think it won't come up again. Rawls is a perfect character for right where he is -- as the badass vice principal who does the dirty work. A more likely outcome would be to have a politically flashy outsider step in as the new commissioner (a la Ed Norris (http://encyclopedia.thefreedictionary.com/Ed+Norris), who ironically is now a bit player on the show).

nole4sho
10-04-2006, 05:56 PM
Anyone notice that they are going out of their way to make Marlo a villian? I mean he killed the guy from the store for no reason other then doing his job.

Logan
10-04-2006, 06:05 PM
Que?

ausonny
10-04-2006, 11:28 PM
Anyone notice that they are going out of their way to make Marlo a villian? I mean he killed the guy from the store for no reason other then doing his job.

:eek:
So everyone else he's had killed didn't make him a villain in your eyes?

cthomer5000
10-05-2006, 09:18 AM
Marlo has been a clear-cut villain from day one to me. As an aside, it's funny that i see Bodie as a "good guy" at this point, despite him being in on the Wallace murder back in season 1 (a painful TV moment for me, i felt genuinely sad).

I think they're kind of establishing that he's gotten a bit power-crazed and full of himself. That last murder was totally ridiculous to me as well... i mean, they did it just to do it.

QuikSand
10-05-2006, 09:39 AM
Dat boy Mahlo be hard, yo.

Qwikshot
10-05-2006, 09:58 AM
I was able to catch up thanks to Comcast demand, I've been sucked in.

Cork
10-05-2006, 12:45 PM
I just finished watching episode 2 last night (sister is taping it for me) and it was odd to see an episode without McNulty. I am also curious to see what happens to the bald headed white guy (I can't remember his characters name) who caught the mayor getting serviced.

-Cork

Barkeep49
10-06-2006, 10:52 PM
Ok I didn't get the end of Sunday's episode. Why did the kid get out of the boxer's car?

ausonny
10-07-2006, 12:26 AM
I'm assuming the kid has major trust issues. He gets nervous every time Cutty acts in any way as a father figure.

spleen1015
10-08-2006, 05:43 AM
HBO will syndicate The Wire to BET.

Peregrine
10-09-2006, 02:03 AM
Well I'm certainly enjoying the show this season, and I understand the removal of McNulty as one of the key figures on the show will leave a vacuum, but does anyone else get the feeling that they've sort of bitten off more than they can chew in terms of the number of characters? There's so many characters and plotlines that you're only catching up with some of them every three episodes, and some not even that. I guess it just goes with the territory though.

QuikSand
10-09-2006, 07:48 AM
I think that is the nature of the beats (edit -- it was a typo, not an intended pun, but since it is a cop show, I'm leaving it in as a pun), really... as they have decided to have a new focus every season (more or less) they have to decide whether to completely leave characters behind, or to make token ways to keep them involved. I'm glad they are choosing ways to do the latter, by and large -- but I am probably more immersed even than the average Wire fan. To me, it's the minor plotlines like Bubbles (a guy who really isn't directly related to the main cops-and-robbers plots) that give the show so much extra depth -- to me, keeping him as a guy we follow is a great way to provide some different perspectives on the issues from the street.

cthomer5000
10-09-2006, 09:14 AM
Well I'm certainly enjoying the show this season, and I understand the removal of McNulty as one of the key figures on the show will leave a vacuum, but does anyone else get the feeling that they've sort of bitten off more than they can chew in terms of the number of characters? There's so many characters and plotlines that you're only catching up with some of them every three episodes, and some not even that. I guess it just goes with the territory though.

I've never felt that way. The new characters that have been introduced time after time are immensely interesting. The show is so well written that i never have those groan moments when a character comes on screen (unlike say... Michael in 'LOST' on ABC).

In one of the season preveiw specials there was some great line by the creator about the show serving story rather than character. I thought it was a very simple but profouned statement about what makes the show so good. They don't feel the urge to make it the Jimmy McNulty show, they don't feel afraid to introduce an entirely new cast of chracters without dumbing it down, and at no point does any of it feel forced to me. I'm as hooked as ever with the new season, whether it's the corner kids, Carcetti's run for office, catching up with Bodie, etc. It's simply a perfect show.

QuikSand
10-09-2006, 09:21 AM
On one of the pre-seaosn hype shows, there was a quote that I thought really resonated. Something to the effect of "it's no coincidence that this show doesn't have any hollywood producers involved."

Hand this show over to a typical TV exec, and it would get dumber, simpler, more 2-dimensional, much easier to follow... and I suspect they would address all the issues that are variously raised by the "too black" and "too confusing" crowds. I'm really, really glad that isn't how it's being run.

John Galt
10-09-2006, 09:27 AM
On one of the pre-seaosn hype shows, there was a quote that I thought really resonated. Something to the effect of "it's no coincidence that this show doesn't have any hollywood producers involved."

Hand this show over to a typical TV exec, and it would get dumber, simpler, more 2-dimensional, much easier to follow... and I suspect they would address all the issues that are variously raised by the "too black" and "too confusing" crowds. I'm really, really glad that isn't how it's being run.

"

And one more point. The show demonstrates how much incredible acting talent there is if you leave looks out of the equation. Most of the cast is local from Baltimore (hardly known for its depth of acting talent beyond Waters' films), but many play character roles better than high-paid talent in Hollywood.

Bad-example
10-09-2006, 02:18 PM
Since those of us with On Demand are getting episodes a full week ahead of broadcast, is it a fair assumption that discussing the most recent On Demand episode should wait until it plays on HBO?

John Galt
10-09-2006, 02:28 PM
Since those of us with On Demand are getting episodes a full week ahead of broadcast, is it a fair assumption that discussing the most recent On Demand episode should wait until it plays on HBO?

I think that's fair, although I admit I have trouble keeping track of whether the episode has aired because I watch all the episodes through On-demand when my schedule permits. That means I'm sometimes ahead and sometimes behind.

spleen1015
10-09-2006, 02:43 PM
I think we should keep track of which episode is the most recently aired episode and only allow discussion up until that point. Last night's episode was #42, I believe.

QuikSand
10-09-2006, 02:46 PM

I, for one, would appreciate that... have no idea who is in the majority here, but certainly a fair number of us watch on Sunday evenings.

Barkeep49
10-09-2006, 03:43 PM
I too would appreciate if we limit our discussion to the episode which has aired on HBO, as I have no access to On Demand.

panerd
10-09-2006, 08:56 PM

I love every storyline on this show. Some of my other HBO favorites like Deadwood (with the theater company storyline) and Entourage (with any "E" storyline) let me down a little but this show is solid throughout. The only person who is getting a little unrealistic is Omar. His trip to the store two epiosodes ago was a little too much for even a badass drug dealer. That still isn't going to sour me for the eventual showdown with Marlo though.

panerd
10-09-2006, 08:58 PM

I have directv so I would certainly appreciate that. I like coming in here and getting different perspectives and making the occasional post, but if we start talking about ondemand I will have to leave the thread alone. (Kind of like what Jbmagic did to me with the Lost thread)

Noop
10-15-2006, 01:30 PM
I just watched the entire season. This is the best show on the T.V. I am glad the mainstream never caught on because this show is so real. I am looking forward to season 5.

Barkeep49
10-15-2006, 02:01 PM
I just watched the entire season. This is the best show on the T.V. I am glad the mainstream never caught on because this show is so real. I am looking forward to season 5.
I read today that Season Five, which is also the last season, is going to focus on "Why don't we hear more about this" and include a bigger emphasis on the media.

Bad-example
10-17-2006, 02:40 AM
No new episode premiering next sunday (the 22nd)?

So who gets to be police commissioner? Both Valchek and Rawls will no doubt feel the new mayor owes them. Have to figure Daniels as a dark horse here.

spleen1015
10-17-2006, 12:59 PM
I'm confused. There's not a new episode on demand this week. When I look at tv.com, there is no #43, which would be the latest on demand episode. WTF is going on?

QuikSand
10-17-2006, 01:00 PM
No new episode for the 22nd, that's why nothing On Demand. Week off, boo.

spleen1015
10-17-2006, 01:08 PM
Ah, okay.

Bad-example
10-17-2006, 01:53 PM
This week, with no new On Demand episode, is probably the only week we will all be on the same page until the end of the season. So we can discuss the show without fear of letting spoilers slip.

Will the major crimes unit be resurrected? And if yes, who will run it?

How about Namond's mother? She is one of the most disturbing characters to date. It is clear she loves her son, but she is insisting he go out on the corner and be the bread earner. I am not sure why but she gives me the willies more than some of the cold-blooded killers we have seen.

The acting is great all around, but with which actor are you most impressed? I think the guy that plays Bubbles, Andre Royo, has been amazing. That looks like a tough role but he has it nailed.

QuikSand
10-17-2006, 02:36 PM
I think the main undercurrent of this season is going to be an attempt to persuade us (outisders) the sort of pulls and trade-offs that are involved that lead kids toward a life on the streets. It's awfully easy for me, with my background, and the oportunitites that came my way as a function of my background, to stand back and be critical of people who "choose that way of life." I think their goal for this season is to get people like me to understand, a bit better than we did before, how someone could really make that choice -- even knowing its frought with dangers, pitfalls, violence, and uncertainty. Michael and his resistsnce (so far) to get involved is clearly one example - Namond is clearly another. Both are kids who we would probably hope would find their way outof the touigh life (Michael especially) but it's not as simple as "just say no," as we're already seeing.

QuikSand
10-17-2006, 02:38 PM
Would anyone object if I edited the thred title to clarify there won't be any spoilers resulting from the on-demand episodes? I'd hate to have people staying away form this thread on that account, just because they fear there will be spoilers of that varierty (especially when, so far, the on-demanders seem to be cool with sitting on their advance epiusode knowledge).

cthomer5000
10-17-2006, 03:11 PM
Would anyone object if I edited the thred title to clarify there won't be any spoilers resulting from the on-demand episodes? I'd hate to have people staying away form this thread on that account, just because they fear there will be spoilers of that varierty (especially when, so far, the on-demanders seem to be cool with sitting on their advance epiusode knowledge).

that would be good with me, or perhaps even keep it up to date with the latest episode # that is OK to discuss.

Bad-example
10-17-2006, 03:18 PM
Current episode is number 43. A title change is probably a good idea.

Pyser
10-17-2006, 03:44 PM
i am late to the game, but i just watched all 43 episodes in about 17 days or so, and would easily rate this as the best telivision show of all time.

glad to be here now :)

panerd
10-17-2006, 04:38 PM
I am pretty sure the week off (along with No Sunday night NFL game) is due to the World Series. Interesting, I didn't think baseball was that big a player anymore but I guess I have a TIVO and don't worry about having to choose between one or the other.

panerd
10-17-2006, 04:45 PM
This week, with no new On Demand episode, is probably the only week we will all be on the same page until the end of the season. So we can discuss the show without fear of letting spoilers slip.

Will the major crimes unit be resurrected? And if yes, who will run it?

How about Namond's mother? She is one of the most disturbing characters to date. It is clear she loves her son, but she is insisting he go out on the corner and be the bread earner. I am not sure why but she gives me the willies more than some of the cold-blooded killers we have seen.

The acting is great all around, but with which actor are you most impressed? I think the guy that plays Bubbles, Andre Royo, has been amazing. That looks like a tough role but he has it nailed.

I think the major crimes unit has to be brought back, seeing as the name of the show (and the past three seasons) deal with wiretaps. I am fairly certain the bodies are going to be discovered soon and then Freeman and crew will be brought back to solve what will probably be a 10+ murder crime. I wonder if Daniels will come back to take over for the worthless piece of crap who is running major crimes now. This is all pure speculation of course.

I don't think Marlo's acting skills are Emmy worthy, but he has certainly improved 100 times over last season. Maybe it is just because we see him more. I also really like the guy running Carcetti's campaign, hopefully he will stick around in a major role.

thesloppy
10-24-2006, 07:13 PM
Just in case there's a number of us going through 'Wire' withdrawals (as I was), I just thought I'd mention that Season 4, in it's entirety, was leaked onto bittorrent and usenet last week.

I was intent on watching HBO week-by-week to stay in sync with my friends and family who are watching, but the lack of a new episode this week drove me batty until I finally went and gobbled them up and watched 6 episodes in-a-row one Saturday, and the finale on Sunday.

Bad-example
11-06-2006, 10:13 AM
Herc is too stupid to live. Would anyone *not* cheer if he took a round in the groin? :)

Stupid ass had Snoop and Chris, an expensive nail gun and a huge bag of lyme and couldn't put the pieces together. Then he botches the interview of Randy and makes it worse by not passing him along to Bunk as promised.

How about that scene where Kima uses her "soft eyes" to solve the murder? That was too cool how she just went right in and made the arrest without calling for backup. Big hairy balls on that girl.

Best show in the history of television.

QuikSand
11-06-2006, 10:17 AM
I like what they are doing with Herc... well-meaning guy overall, but I'm sure that real police work is absolutely loaded with near-misses and passed opportunities. I don't really root against him -- I think he serves a purpose. People being truly driven by seemingly stupid and petty things like the loss of a camera explains more of human and professional behavior than we'd care to admit. And the fact that this is developing the Prop Joe character to have a greater role is great by me, I think he's fantastic -- loved the phone voices.

The scene this week in the Eastern with the Mayor-elect watching the bullshit "drug arrests" was great -- a great message scene, once again, about what actually makes sense in the effort against drugs and traffickers.

Bad-example
11-13-2006, 05:24 AM
So who gets to be police commissioner? Both Valchek and Rawls will no doubt feel the new mayor owes them. Have to figure Daniels as a dark horse here.

Episode 46 aired last night. Think Daniels has gone from dark horse to even money favorite?

Herc's reign of error continues. He basically fucks poor Randy by not jumping at the bait when Little Kevin drops Randy's name. Then he fails to help Bubbles after promising to be there within 5 minutes. And all of Herc's screw ups were set in motion by his seeing the (now former) mayor getting a bj and getting a seriously undeserved promotion.

I wonder if Carver (who also got an undeserved promotion but ended up justifying it after the fact) will get to run the major crimes unit.

QuikSand
11-13-2006, 07:41 AM
In an interesting coincidence, we went to the Ruth's Chris Steakhouse in Baltimore this weekend.

Bad-example
11-13-2006, 03:44 PM
http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/blogs/sfgate/detail?blogid=24&entry_id=10904

The SF Chronicle has a nice deconstruction of the current episode each week. Definitely worth a read.

QuikSand
11-13-2006, 04:40 PM
Thanks for the link.

Bad-example
11-16-2006, 11:45 AM
The lack of activity in this thread makes me wonder. Is it because of On Demand showing the episodes a week early or because the remaining episodes were leaked onto the internets? Or perhaps it is my uncanny threadkilling ability? (If so I will STFU for the good of the discussion) :)

John Galt
11-16-2006, 11:51 AM
I am still watching and enjoying the show immensely. I guess I just don't have much to add to the thread so I haven't posted in a long time.

spleen1015
11-16-2006, 11:54 AM
I just got caught up with everything this week. The show is definitely as good as ever.

IMetTrentGreen
11-16-2006, 02:02 PM
i'm still trying to guess what each of the kids represents. incidentally, i wouldn't recommend knowing the theme to each season before hand, since i can tell when they are preaching to me now. hasn't ruined the show as a whole, but parts can be annoying. anyway, my best guess:

namond - family pressures, pressure to 'keep it real,' in a sense that he'll only be respected if he stays in the corner life.

dookie - wasted potential. im just sick wondering what bad thing they are going to throw at him.

randy - no idea. im thinking perhaps he's the 'street smart' one, the kid who is smarter than a standardized test would show. i don't know what they are planning with him though.

the boxing kid - the grim reality that a lot of kids start running with a bad crowd because they need to, for protection. hard to tell where they are going with him, though, since he might have been just about his father and little brother. we'll see what marlo expects of him now.

QuikSand
11-16-2006, 02:08 PM
Non-spoiler future speculation below...

I think it's Michael's story that they really want to be the center of the kids. People outside the urban environment are quick to argue that these people just should get out of the cycle that afflicts the people around them -- move out, do something for yourself, get away from the drugs and violence, that sort of thing. I think the writers are intent on developing a rich story of a kid who really seems like he probably could do those things, but (I'm guessing) ends up making the "wrong" decision for reasons that we eventually are led to understand.

Whether that's preachy or realistic, I don't know. But that's my guess on where his storyline is heading. And as for Randy... I'm not feeling so good about things for him.

Pyser
11-16-2006, 03:58 PM
i think michael is being set up to become a top man for marlo, assuming marlo sticks around for a while. he's smart, doesnt do drugs, but definitely has that dark, cold side.

BishopMVP
11-16-2006, 05:46 PM
The lack of activity in this thread makes me wonder. Is it because of On Demand showing the episodes a week early or because the remaining episodes were leaked onto the internets? Or perhaps it is my uncanny threadkilling ability? (If so I will STFU for the good of the discussion) :)For me, (I only started watching a couple months ago, but I've seen Seasons 1+3+4 up to now) it's the On Demand thing. I'm always a week ahead - and in the spirit of no spoilers, I'm not gonna start talking about what happened. Even if I tried to couch it in terms of only up to the previous week, I know I'd be influenced by what I've seen, plus I'm not entirely sure what happened which episode on the smaller points. Plus, the "What's coming up on The Wire" seems to hit the main plot points a week in advance.

***I'm fairly sure the next paragraph doesn't contain anything from the ep coming up on Sunday, but if it does sorry***

Overall, while I'm also sure there will be a twist or two I don't see coming, the only kid I'm really not sure how he plays out is Dookie, and for older characters Omar (I'm pretty sure he'll end up in a showdown with Marlo's crew in the last ep, but will it be with Marlo himself, Chris/Snoop, or even Michael getting involved) and Bodie (whether he starts bucking under Marlo). The rest of the characters plots seems pretty well laid out, at least for the last 3-4 episodes of this season. Next season of course, anything could happen, although I'm sure McNulty will be back in the middle of it, whether it's running it out of the Western or a revamped Major Crimes since Daniels has Carcetti's ear now.

Bad-example
11-16-2006, 09:33 PM
Omar (I'm pretty sure he'll end up in a showdown with Marlo's crew in the last ep, but will it be with Marlo himself, Chris/Snoop, or even Michael getting involved)

I had a chill when Omar looked out the window and said, "He's just a kid". I am wondering if Michael will end up killing Omar.

I'm sure McNulty will be back in the middle of it, whether it's running it out of the Western or a revamped Major Crimes since Daniels has Carcetti's ear now.

I am still thinking that Carver will be getting another promotion soon, but you are probably right that McNutty will end up in charge of the Major Crimes unit. Nice call.

Bad-example
11-17-2006, 01:39 AM
delayed dola

For me, (I only started watching a couple months ago, but I've seen Seasons 1+3+4 up to now) it's the On Demand thing. I'm always a week ahead - and in the spirit of no spoilers, I'm not gonna start talking about what happened.

Perhaps posting your thoughts on Sunday night before watching the next On Demand episode would help?

Bad-example
11-26-2006, 11:23 AM
extremely delayed dola

Good for Bubbles, getting revenge on moron Herc. If that trick with the minister ends up costing Herc his stripes (or job), the whole city will owe Bubs a debt of gratitude. It is hard watching poor Bubs get repeatedly screwed over by that thug. He will have to solve his own problem at some point. Any speculation as to how that will play out?

Barkeep49
11-26-2006, 12:21 PM
http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/blogs/sfgate/detail?blogid=24&entry_id=10904

The SF Chronicle has a nice deconstruction of the current episode each week. Definitely worth a read.
I've been staying away from the thread since I've gotten way behind. Just did some catchup after watching two episodes, but wanted to say thanks for this link. Quality writing.

Logan
11-26-2006, 04:56 PM
OnDemand is definitely the reason for my lack of involvement in this thread.

But I'm loving it, for the record.

spleen1015
11-30-2006, 11:26 AM
I couldn't sleep last night, so I watched #49. This show is awesome. The last scene of this episode was amaysing.

I'll be disappointed to see this show end.

Bad-example
11-30-2006, 12:48 PM
A couple quick thoughts...

Funny that Herc turns out to be Carcetti's first "bowl of sh*t".

I certainly didn't expect Burrell to make a truly convincing bid to remain in his job. Coupled with the dirt that Daniels has in his past, it wouldn't be surprising to see Burrell stick around now.

Amazing how perfect...perfect...the casting in this show is. For instance, the assistant principal is a pretty small role but could they have found a better actress for that part?

spleen1015
11-30-2006, 12:52 PM
Amazing how perfect...perfect...the casting in this show is. For instance, the assistant principal is a pretty small role but could they have found a better actress for that part?

This is one of the truly amazing things about the show. I haven't seen a single character who I didn't think was played perfectly.

I know you guys were talking about McNulty being in this season a lot less because West asked for it. Is there any word on him playing his normal major role in season 5? This season has been great, but I miss McNulty.

jbmagic
11-30-2006, 01:47 PM
Whats this series suppose to be about?

I never seen it yet.

jbmagic
11-30-2006, 01:48 PM
I can't wait for Sleeper's cell to return soon. Awesome show.

spleen1015
12-05-2006, 07:45 AM
Watched the Season 4 finale on demand last night. This show is awesome. I can't wait to see what the rest of you guys think of things.

cthomer5000
12-05-2006, 10:19 AM
This was the best season yet, of the best show ever made.

Qwikshot
12-05-2006, 10:38 AM
Having not watched the previous seasons, only bits and pieces, I did not see what the frenzy was about (neither did most people sadly).

Rather than asking, I sat down to watch episode one, and I was hooked. The introduction of the new characters sprinkled with older ones allowed me to not be too lost.

I mean, starting off the show with Snoop (who is a woman) at a local suburb building center asking about a nailgun was amusing (I'd be that salesman too, completely clueless to the street slang). Of course, then things get darker, and we see for all intents and purposes what it's for.

We also see kids living in the streets, and they aren't stereotyped. They are kids, with kid thoughts, trying to survive in a world far worse that can be thought up. Michael (the guardian), Namond (brashtalker), Dukie (the smart outcast), and Randy (the business)...they aren't evil, or stupid, or worthless. They are not good or evil...even Donut (the car thief) isn't bad. But as the season progresses, we see what happens, and we see who lives, who dies, and who gets away.

Of course, you get Omar. And he's a badass...but the stories are interwoven, and they seem real, not fake, no dream sequences, no dance numbers, no symbols...

There are some haunting images too...Carver walking down the long white hallway, hearing Randy shouting at him...

Watching the finale, which I won't talk about yet, was gutwrenching, some parts just amazingly done, but this episode, was the hard fall.

The Wire is dark, but it's not masochistic, it's reality...and there is redemption there, even with the dead, and that makes it beautiful television. I'll be watching the final season religiously, and I may dip into my funds to catch up on the first 4 seasons too.

Logan
12-10-2006, 02:01 PM
Simply amazing.

Really the best way to describe it.

MizzouRah
12-10-2006, 02:05 PM
Yeah, I'm late to the game, but it's great.

QuikSand
12-12-2006, 09:44 AM
I thought the finale was a pretty predictable, yet effective, tie-up to the season. I really, really love this show, and it's a real dent to my quality of life to look forward to weeks and weeks without it. I mean that honestly, and as a testament to the show (hopefully) more than on the quality of the rest of my life.

For those who might be interested - nearly every plotline from the political realm in the last two seasons has traced pretty directly to Maryland/Baltimore headlines from the last several years. The white mayor winning by traingulation, the emergency of a mysterious huge deficit in the public school budgeting, the need for the mayor to go and "kiss his republican ass" in Annapolis, and the battle for control over city schools, and the mayor eyeing the governor's mansion -- all of it is right out of the Baltimore Sun from the last several years. Hell -- most of us in Annapolis know who served as the obvious inspiration for characters like Clay Davis and the omnipresent chair-bound state delegate who tried to control city politics. It was great storywriting -- but Bill Zorzi and company didn't really have to dig too deep to come up with this stuff.

QuikSand
12-12-2006, 01:42 PM
Interesting article on Andre Royo, who plays Bubbles:

http://www.cnn.com/2006/SHOWBIZ/TV/12/08/tv.thewire.bubbles.ap/index.html

Bad-example
12-12-2006, 02:03 PM
Thanks. That was a nice read. Bubs has been a favorite since the first season.

Barkeep49
12-12-2006, 02:44 PM
Are we allowed to use spoilers at this point? I'd love to talk specifics with some of the others around here.

QuikSand
12-12-2006, 02:45 PM
Every episode has been broadcast. Unless your "spoiler" deals with discussion of actors or production that has byet to be filmed... it's fair game, seems to me.

QuikSand
12-12-2006, 02:47 PM
By the way, it was nice to see Steve Earle (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Steve_Earle) show up again. He's the guy who Kima brought in to help counsel Bubbles -- back in season one, he played a recovering addict who was inspiring to Bubbles, and the role stretched out over a few episodes. Another great cameo.

Logan
12-12-2006, 03:12 PM
Are we allowed to use spoilers at this point? I'd love to talk specifics with some of the others around here.

As Quik said, please let's have some discussion. I've been getting my fill by reading comments on blogs like Tim Goodman's, and while it's definitely interesting analysis, it's a little heavy in most instances.