PDA

View Full Version : Giles Traded to Padres

Grid Iron
08-26-2003, 01:24 PM
It's been in the works for awhile. The Pirates got two great players in Ollie Perez and Jason Bay. In 2-3 years, I think people will say this was a steal for Pittsburgh.

Read the story here (http://www.sportingnews.com/baseball/articles/20030826/489502.html) .

WSUCougar
08-26-2003, 01:30 PM
I really like Giles - I had a slim hope that the Cards would trade Drew for him. I hope he does well in San Diego.

Swaggs
08-26-2003, 01:42 PM
Drat. No Nady... :(

Not sure how I feel about this one right now.

Grid Iron
08-26-2003, 01:59 PM
Originally posted by Swaggs
Drat. No Nady... :(

Not sure how I feel about this one right now.

I'm a Padres fan, and I think this deal will help San Diego a lot next season.

I think, however, that in 2-3 years Perez will be a dominant starter with Cy Young potential. Jason Bay absolutely crushes the ball and has a great average & BB/K ratio. I think Pit got the better deal, personally.

Swaggs
08-26-2003, 02:21 PM
Any word on who the PTBNL is?

Draft Dodger
08-26-2003, 02:28 PM
I'm not sure I understand why another team wouldn't claim Giles - doesn't he need to clear waivers?

Swaggs
08-26-2003, 02:33 PM
Originally posted by Draft Dodger
I'm not sure I understand why another team wouldn't claim Giles - doesn't he need to clear waivers?

Perhaps the Padres did claim him--they are pretty low in the pecking order. I believe the Pirates could have just not retrieved him from waivers, allowing him to become a Padre, with the understanding that they would send them compensation in return.

My hope is that the PTBNL was someone who was claimed on waivers and cannot be moved until after the season, like Nady. :)

Cuckoo
08-26-2003, 02:36 PM
As a Cubs fan, I like this a lot. The Cubs play six of their last nine against the Pirates and don't face the Padres again. Now, the Pirates don't have much left in the line-up.

dawgfan
08-26-2003, 02:37 PM
Good question - I can't remember exactly how waivers works, but since the Pads have the 2nd worst record in baseball I think they had the next crack at claiming Giles after the Tigers. If they placed a claim they had the opportunity to work out a deal with Pittsburgh for him, which they did.

Can anyone clarify this process? I can't remember if they go by leagues first and then records, or records regardless of league.

Ksyrup
08-26-2003, 03:02 PM
The Tigers don't claim a guy who could get an OBP of .400 even if he hit .220. Meanwhile, they're paying Bobby Frigginson (I find this easier to say than Bobby friggin' Higginson, which is what I've been calling him lately) about $4 Million more than Giles, to suck ass and joke about appealing his recent suspension "to ask for more games off."

As a Detroit native and long-time Tigers fan, I could just about cry right now. They should have at least taken a shot at claiming him and just swallowed Higginson's and Easley's 2004 contracts. Then again, Giles would likely have demanded a trade, as would have been his right. Oh well.

clintl
08-26-2003, 03:11 PM
There really would have been no point in the Tigers claiming him, because the Pirates would have just removed him from waivers unless the Tigers would be able to make a comparable trade (which they probably don't have the talent to make). The only real reason teams make waiver claims after the deadline is to block another team from getting the player, and there's no reason the Tigers have for blocking another team from getting anyone. Only contenders care about that.

Ksyrup
08-26-2003, 03:15 PM
I realize that, and maybe they already explored a possible trade with Pittsburgh prior to August 1, but if not, why not try to see if something could be worked out? I'm sure you're right, and that there's a lot of stuff going on behind the scenes that makes playing out all of these scenarios moot.

Simply put, the Tigers are in a bad, bad position no matter how you look at it. Another year of this, and I'm going to start calling Dave Dombrowski "Pat Riley."

Ksyrup
08-26-2003, 03:20 PM
Padres traded Rondell White to the Royals. I think the Royals need more pitching, though. Brian Anderson was a solid pick-up.

Maple Leafs
08-26-2003, 03:58 PM
Originally posted by Swaggs
My hope is that the PTBNL was someone who was claimed on waivers and cannot be moved until after the season, like Nady. :) Nady is untouchable, and will not be traded.

Oops, wrong league. Sorry, never mind.

Hammer755
08-26-2003, 04:55 PM
The Tigers didn't have a the opportunity to claim Giles. Waiver claims go by league, so since the Pirates are in the NL, San Diego had first dibs on claiming Giles.

Ksyrup
08-26-2003, 04:59 PM
Hey! You learn something every day.

dawgfan
08-26-2003, 06:06 PM
So it goes by win/loss records in your own league first, then by win/loss records in the other league? So Atlanta would have dibs before Detroit? Interesting...

Neuqua
08-26-2003, 09:03 PM
Actually it would go SD, then Detroit, then next worst team in NL I believe.. Doesn't go through one league first before the other..

Buccaneer
08-26-2003, 09:29 PM
I heart whatever my hero, TGwynn, says:

This deal makes perfect sense for the Padres. Brian Giles is one of the most underrated players in the game. He's posted nothing but good numbers for the four-plus years he's been in the National League.
With the Padres opening a new ballpark next season, they need something to sell fans on, and getting Giles is the proverbial step in the right direction. And Giles is a San Diego guy, so there will be an automatic connection with fans.

The Padres gave up some good young players. Oliver Perez, a left-handed starter, has a chance to be a quality pitcher, and minor-league outfielder Jason Bay has the potential to become a good major-league hitter. Earlier, Xavier Nady was said to be part of this deal, so I'm somewhat surprised to see Bay involved.

One unknown is the player to be named later. But regardless of who it is, sometimes you need to give up young players to get a quality veteran like Giles.

On the Pirates' side of this deal, it looks like they're trying to unload salary. Look at the players they've traded this season since falling out of contention: Aramis Ramirez, Kenny Lofton, Jeff Suppan, Mike Williams, now Giles -- and they've been shopping catcher Jason Kendall.

It's good that the Pirates are getting some young players in return who could blossom down the road. But for Pittsburgh fans, it must be disheartening to see the heart and soul of your team get traded away.

Copyright ©2003 ESPN Internet Ventures.

Buccaneer
08-26-2003, 09:32 PM
dola

Rondell only had 30-days left in a Pads uniform, and since it doesn't do any good to keep him around, KT got two young pitching prospects from the Royals.

lynchjm24
08-26-2003, 09:47 PM
Originally posted by dawgfan
Good question - I can't remember exactly how waivers works, but since the Pads have the 2nd worst record in baseball I think they had the next crack at claiming Giles after the Tigers. If they placed a claim they had the opportunity to work out a deal with Pittsburgh for him, which they did.

Can anyone clarify this process? I can't remember if they go by leagues first and then records, or records regardless of league.

Waiver claims go by league. Atlanta selects before Detroit on Giles.

lynchjm24
08-26-2003, 09:47 PM
Originally posted by Neuqua
Actually it would go SD, then Detroit, then next worst team in NL I believe.. Doesn't go through one league first before the other..
That is how the first year player draft is set up, not waiver claims.

Neuqua
08-26-2003, 09:50 PM
Really? Didn't realize that. Interesting.

lynchjm24
08-26-2003, 09:52 PM
Triple Dola.

My question is how are the players that got through waivers getting through waivers? Gammons had a list in his last piece, if it's true then Orlando Hudson wasn't claimed. Scot Shields? Kelvim Escobar? Tomo Ohka?

sterlingice
08-27-2003, 01:06 AM
Originally posted by Ksyrup
Padres traded Rondell White to the Royals. I think the Royals need more pitching, though. Brian Anderson was a solid pick-up.

They needed a right handed bat even more. Now ailing Ken Harvey can heal himself so he doesn't look nearly as crappy as he has for the past two weeks (White in left, Ibanez to 1B).

As for the pitchers, no matter what happens, they keep dropping like flies. As of today, Runlevys is now out for next year most likely with Tommy John surgery. Appier is done for this year, Affeldt is still in the pen with blister problems, Lima hasn't pitched well at all since coming back from the DL and speculation is wild that he's still hurt.

Right now, the rotation sits at May-Anderson-Abbott and... um... Gobble's been rocked lately and is likely fatiguing from all the work this year so who knows who is #5 right now. However, while another pitcher might be in order (I think they are hoping Asenscio will be ready in the next week), they just as desperately, if not moreso, needed a right handed impact RBI bat to help protect Sweeney, Beltran, and Ibanez.

BTW, was at the game tonight. Fun game, buck night, and we walked away with 5 dozen Krispy Kremes since the Royals got 12 hits.

SI

lynchjm24
08-27-2003, 06:06 AM
Originally posted by sterlingice

Right now, the rotation sits at May-Anderson-Abbott and... um... Gobble's been rocked lately and is likely fatiguing from all the work this year so who knows who is #5 right now. However, while another pitcher might be in order (I think they are hoping Asenscio will be ready in the next week), they just as desperately, if not moreso, needed a right handed impact RBI bat to help protect Sweeney, Beltran, and Ibanez.

Here's a vote for Zack Grienke.

Ksyrup
08-27-2003, 07:04 AM
As I flipping through the games last night, I saw a clip of Jose Oquendo pitching for the Cardinals in one of those 80's blowouts. Maybe the Royals should give him a call.

sterlingice
08-27-2003, 07:46 AM
Originally posted by lynchjm24
Here's a vote for Zack Grienke.

While I definately would love to see him (his numbers in A ball are downright filthy: 11-1, 1.14 ERA, 78:13 K:BB, and less walks than games- 14), I think he'd run into the same problem Gobble had but even more intensely. Remember, 18 months ago, he was in high school and right now, he's over 120 IPs in his first professional year. Baird has said, in no uncertain terms, that Greinke won't see the majors this year. That may change if the injuries keep mounting, however.

Greinke projects out to be a staff ace and nothing he has done so far dissuades anyone from that opinion. However, you don't want to ruin that kind of arm (see: Kerry Wood) for a couple of starts in a pennant race (see: 1998 Kerry Wood) and especially one this green that may or may not even be ready for the majors: he has the stuff, but does he have the mental makeup?

SI

Swaggs
08-27-2003, 12:25 PM
Here is a brief summary of the three players the Pirates got for Giles (courtesy of the Pittsburgh Tribune Review). I added the first names and Cory Stewart is the PTNBL, provided he passes medical exams given by Pirates' doctors:

Oliver Perez, 22, has reached 98 mph on the radar gun, but his success has been negated by erratic control. He was 4-7 with a 5.38 ERA in 19 starts with the Padres, striking out 117 in 103 2/3 innings.

"When he throws strikes, he can be special," McClendon said.

Jason Bay, 24, batted .303 at Class AAA Portland, leading the team in home runs with 20. He had 59 RBI and was tied for the Pacific Coast League lead with a .541 slugging percentage.

A .300 hitter over four minor-league seasons, Bay won the Midwest League batting title in 2001. Viewed as a right fielder by the Padres, Bay also can play center, but the Pirates plan to use him in left as Giles' replacement.

"He has the total package -- defense, speed, power, average and knowledge of the strike zone," McClendon said.

Cory Stewart, 23, was 12-7 with a 3.72 ERA at Class AA Mobile. He was signed as a minor-league free agent by the Padres in 2001 after missing the previous season because of rotator-cuff surgery.

clintl
08-27-2003, 12:38 PM
Barry Bonds said last year that Perez was one of the best young pitchers in the NL after he pitched against the Giants. This could turn out to be a very good trade for the Pirates if both Perez and Bay fulfill their potential.

lynchjm24
08-27-2003, 03:52 PM

Greinke projects out to be a staff ace and nothing he has done so far dissuades anyone from that opinion. However, you don't want to ruin that kind of arm (see: Kerry Wood) for a couple of starts in a pennant race (see: 1998 Kerry Wood) and especially one this green that may or may not even be ready for the majors: he has the stuff, but does he have the mental makeup?

SI

My vote was selfish, I have him for a $1 in a 40-man roster, 12 team AL-only roto league :).

sterlingice
08-27-2003, 06:00 PM
Originally posted by lynchjm24
My vote was selfish, I have him for a $1 in a 40-man roster, 12 team AL-only roto league :).

You might want to put a buck or two towards that next year because they're expecting him to compete in spring training for a starters spot along with Gobble, et al, and the field just got one thinner with Hernandez out all of next year with Tommy John surgery.

SI

lynchjm24
08-27-2003, 06:29 PM
You might want to put a buck or two towards that next year because they're expecting him to compete in spring training for a starters spot along with Gobble, et al, and the field just got one thinner with Hernandez out all of next year with Tommy John surgery.

SI

I can sign him to a 4 year deal at $2, $3, $4, $5. I'm just on the hook if he doesn't pan out.