PDA

View Full Version : Doh....woohoo!

cuervo72
09-11-2003, 11:01 AM
On my way into work yesterday, I decided to stop for a $.99 sausage and egg biscuit at Hardees - and found out that the Hardees has closed! Doh! :(

But for dinner, we went to a new place in Frederick - Chipotlé. Woohoo! This place has the most massive burritos, stuffed with pork (or chicken, steak, beef), rice, black beans (or pinto beans), salsa, cheese and sour cream. Taco Bell, watch out. This place is good. :)

Fritz
09-11-2003, 11:02 AM
We have the closing Hardee's syndrome down here too. It's like we are not in the south any more.

cuervo72
09-11-2003, 11:06 AM
This one was actually in Gettysburg (right near the Sizzler that closed down 3 years ago and is still vacant), so it was in the north. There already aren't any in Frederick.

QuikSand
09-11-2003, 11:07 AM
I love the Chipolte model... huge burritos, cheaply priced, usually served in an "industrial" setting (trendy, but still cheap to maintain). I think the sky's the limit.

(Don't let out the word that they're owned by McDonald's)

cuervo72
09-11-2003, 11:11 AM
Hmm, I didn't know that. I was very impressed, though I think I will usually take out rather than eat in (not too comfy a place to have kids in tow). And they have Subway-style ordering. :)

I want to go back already.

The_herd
09-11-2003, 11:11 AM
Originally posted by cuervo72
On my way into work yesterday, I decided to stop for a $.99 sausage and egg biscuit at Hardees - and found out that the Hardees has closed! Doh! :(

But for dinner, we went to a new place in Frederick - Chipotlé. Woohoo! This place has the most massive burritos, stuffed with pork (or chicken, steak, beef), rice, black beans (or pinto beans), salsa, cheese and sour cream. Taco Bell, watch out. This place is good. :)

There is a Chipotle in Monterrey, I went there for lunch a few times when I lived there. I don't think you can really compare Taco Bell and Chipotle though, Chipotle food is actually damn good. Their steak tacos are great too, plus they aren't too expensive, overall they are a little more expensive than Taco Bell, but it obviously wan't enough to keep me away.

But for what its worth to Taco Bell fans (if there are any) my wife still prefers Taco Bell.

The_herd
09-11-2003, 11:15 AM
Dola

I also remember when I first moved to the west coast how disapponted I was when I found out there were no Hardee's there. But then I discovered Carl's Jr. and I quickly forgot about Hardee's.

cuervo72
09-11-2003, 11:25 AM
Carl's Jr. = Hardee's anyway. I'll still go to Taco Bell, don't get me wrong. But Chipotle is really good for not much more money.

Franklinnoble
09-11-2003, 11:58 AM
Del Taco, baby.

cuervo72
09-11-2003, 12:12 PM
Originally posted by Franklinnoble
Del Taco, baby.

Unfortunately not in this part of the country.

The_herd
09-11-2003, 12:25 PM
Originally posted by Franklinnoble
Del Taco, baby.

Taco John's, even better.

bbor
09-11-2003, 12:45 PM
Did someone say Taco bell?

Where's JeeberD?

:D

JeeberD
09-11-2003, 01:37 PM
Right here! Now I need some burritos for lunch!!!

Never been to Chipotle, but I'm assuming it's an assembly line type burrito place. We have a place like that here called Hooya's. Damn good food, but a bit expensive. I think it's Denton's answer to College Station's Freebird.

Vince
09-11-2003, 02:09 PM
Haha, we've got a Freebirds here in Isla Vista as well. Nice little placard on the wall "Guiness Book of World Records: World's Largest Burrito."

I love Freebirds, but it's a bit expensive (6 bucks for a burrito if you get either sour cream or guacamole). When I can trade them for the free pizza I get from working at Woodstock's, that is the best.

Fritz
09-11-2003, 02:15 PM
Originally posted by The_herd
Taco John's, even better.

I stopped at a Taco John's that was located in Northern Montana. The 'resturant' was built into the side of a barn and was easily the most dangerous looking place to order food that I have ever seen. Have I mentioned that I have been to Latin America?

Kam
09-11-2003, 04:36 PM
Cuervo, be sure to try California Tortilla (there is one in Rockville). Similar quality to Chipotle, but some very interesting flavour options (Buffalo Chicken Burrito, Teriyaki Burrito, Chicken w/ Peanut Sauce Burrito, etc....)

Schmidty
09-11-2003, 05:05 PM
Chipotles sounds alot like a place we have around here called Qdoba. They have huge burritos, and you also order in a Subway style.

JeeberD
09-11-2003, 05:10 PM
Originally posted by Schmidty
Chipotles sounds alot like a place we have around here called Qdoba. They have huge burritos, and you also order in a Subway style.

I've been trying to remember that name. I went there in Denver when I visited my parents over spring break...

RendeR
09-11-2003, 05:30 PM
I'm saddened at how disgusting Taco bell food has become. Everything is cheap fillers (rice and beans) and they've taken most of the decent sauces away.

To get a plain old Beef burrito you either have to order the supreme thingy of the week (which sucks because it has too much extra shit on it) or order a been burrito, add a buck to add meat, and hold the beans. and even then once you get it, if the people working there are bright enough to figure out how to make it, the damn thing is half the size of a regular burrito.

Taco bell can go to hell, i won't waste good money there anymore.

tucker342
09-11-2003, 06:32 PM
Originally posted by cuervo72
Hmm, I didn't know that. I was very impressed, though I think I will usually take out rather than eat in (not too comfy a place to have kids in tow). And they have Subway-style ordering. :)

I want to go back already.

I bet Poncheros is better(Mexican restaurant, with Sub Way ordering style) best damn Mexican food ever!

Draft Dodger
09-11-2003, 06:37 PM
our Taco Bell closed down a couple years ago - it's been some pretty rought times for me since then.

it wasn't even a good Taco Bell. they overcharged ridiculously, so I only went when the mood really, really struck me...but it was nice to have around. There's even a new burrito place in town now that's pretty good (the burritos are massive), but it's not the same as Taco Hell.

bbor
09-11-2003, 07:31 PM
Originally posted by RendeR
I'm saddened at how disgusting Taco bell food has become. Everything is cheap fillers (rice and beans) and they've taken most of the decent sauces away.

Bite your tongue spawn of satan..Taco Bell RAWKS :)

cuervo72
09-12-2003, 06:33 AM
Originally posted by Kam
Cuervo, be sure to try California Tortilla (there is one in Rockville). Similar quality to Chipotle, but some very interesting flavour options (Buffalo Chicken Burrito, Teriyaki Burrito, Chicken w/ Peanut Sauce Burrito, etc....)

Thanks, I'll keep it in mind next time in Rockville, but that isn't all that often. What I'd really want to go to in Rockville is the Melting Pot...

sterlingice
09-12-2003, 06:50 AM
Originally posted by RendeR

I'm unsure of which useless comment to throw in so I'll let the reader decide:

If not for Taco Bell, KU football wouldn't have made the news that past 5 years. If anyone remembers, a couple of years ago (supposedly he had a decent shot to be a late round pick until this incident), Dion Rayford went to one of the Lawrence Taco Bells to order a chalupa late one night. When they screwed up his order, he did what any normal person would do, he tried to climb through the drive-thru window and got stuck. The employees ran to the manager room, locked the door, and waited for police to arrive. When the cop got there, he found Rayford wedged in the broken window. That's our most newsworthy football headline for the last 5 years...

Then I wanted to make some blatant reference to "Demolition Man" and Taco Bell but I couldn't find any images to go with it.

SI

Bonegavel
09-12-2003, 09:57 AM
Originally posted by The_herd
..snip..

Their steak tacos are great too, plus they aren't too expensive, overall they are a little more expensive than Taco Bell, but it obviously wan't enough to keep me away.

But for what its worth to Taco Bell fans (if there are any) my wife still prefers Taco Bell.

Yeah, but everytime you eat at the Bell you risk the Hep A,B,C and/or D.

The_herd
09-12-2003, 10:08 AM
Originally posted by Fritz
I stopped at a Taco John's that was located in Northern Montana. The 'resturant' was built into the side of a barn and was easily the most dangerous looking place to order food that I have ever seen. Have I mentioned that I have been to Latin America?

Are you sure that wasn't a place called "John's Taco's" or something like that?

cartman
09-12-2003, 10:14 AM
Has Baja Fresh expanded outside of California? They had great Mexican food that was quickly delivered.

Craptacular
09-13-2003, 04:39 PM
I eat at Taco Bell much too often. There's one a couple of blocks away, but I'm moving next month.

cuervo72
09-13-2003, 09:15 PM
Had Chipotle again tonight. :)

ISiddiqui
09-14-2003, 02:01 AM
The 'industrial' style burritos are everywhere. It's a cheap business to get involved in. Here in Decatur we have Willy's California Style Burritos.